• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

The host made a great point about the hair issue. She basically said if the 'natural' look was more accepted in the corporate world, more of our women would be willing to exercise several times a week.

I think she's wrong. It's more like "If the Natural look was more accepted in the black women community". I love natural hair.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
To me fellow black members in this thread. Do you see a problem within our culture with black women and fitness?

In my gym it's rare to see a black women. Within every single one of my friends when we had this discussion we couldn't think of a single member of any of our families that was a women who actively worked out or cared about fitness.

I suspended my wife's gym membership over a year ago and never told her. It will go back into effect if she ever goes back.

Just looked up a statistic and 4/5 black women are obese.

I really don't think it's a black thing. I think it's a regional and socioeconomic thing.

It wasn't so bad in NYC, but down here in GA, it's really bringing down the average.
Look at the white girls in GA. They got some Chubbaleupaguses in them trailers.

DominoKid

To me fellow black members in this thread. Do you see a problem within our culture with black women and fitness?

In my gym it's rare to see a black women. Within every single one of my friends when we had this discussion we couldn't think of a single member of any of our families that was a women who actively worked out or cared about fitness.

I suspended my wife's gym membership over a year ago and never told her. It will go back into effect if she ever goes back.

Just looked up a statistic and 4/5 black women are obese.

yes! get ya asses in the gym!

The host made a great point about the hair issue. She basically said if the 'natural' look was more accepted in the corporate world, more of our women would be willing to exercise several times a week.

lord this is about 15 different excuses rolled into one.

hwalker84

I really don't think it's a black thing. I think it's a regional and socioeconomic thing.

Look at the white girls in GA. They got some Chubbaleupaguses in them trailers.

I live in the middle class suburbs of Pittsburgh. There's plenty of black people in the surrounding neighborhoods yet seeing a black woman in the local gym is like seeing a unicorn walk through the front door. Us black men are plenty.

Definitely some regional but i don't buy it as the main reason.

DominoKid

Question
Do you feel like you're "part of" America or do you just happen to live in America? Why?

There is a difference...

inspired by the Kanye thread

Mind if I join? I can bring an opposing opinion :)

If anyone falls through sure. PM me your Skype info.

I keep the # of people at 6 for connection reasons and to avoid folks talking over eachother. I'm looking to have 2 people who attended on but someone almost always has to leave or can't make it.

mind expounding on why you feel that way? i forgot to post that.

I guess just that me personally I've never bought into the so-called American dream and even thought I like being American I don't see my being American as anything that's integral to who I am. NO matter where I was from or lived I would be me.

zero_suit

I guess just that me personally I've never bought into the so-called American dream and even thought I like being American I don't see my being American as anything that's integral to who I am. NO matter where I was from or lived I would be me.
Yeah, the 'American Dream' reeks of exceptionalism, yet several other highly developed nations have higher social mobility rates than we do.

DominoKid

see that's my sticking point. because i know i'm distinctly influenced by American culture, and while I enjoy the patriotic shit because it's fun, i always feel in the back of my mind like it's a marriage of circumstance.

i'm quicker to identify w/ being Black than being American just because of the exclusion the country has directed as us (and other minorities fwiw) throughout history. i always felt like no matter what i did in life, the things i achieve, i'd still be black because our country will not let us forget that. i don't mean that to sound as negative as it does.

that's why in the other thread i said "forgive me if we don't feel like being part of a nation that has historically never treated us w/ any kind of respect or dignity, and for much of that history considered didn't even consider us people." it is because of this that i struggle to identify w/ the ideals of America. it's more of a marriage of convenience to me. as much as i would love to, i can't buy into the "were all in this together" rhetoric because it rings hollow.

Yeah, the 'American Dream' reeks of exceptionalism, yet several other highly developed nations have higher social mobility rates than we do.

see that's my sticking point. because i know i'm distinctly influenced by American culture, and while I enjoy the patriotic shit because it's fun, i always feel in the back of my mind like it's a marriage of circumstance.

i'm quicker to identify w/ being Black than being American just because of the exclusion the country has directed as us (and other minorities fwiw) throughout history. i always felt like no matter what i did in life, the things i achieve, i'd still be black because our country will not let us forget that. i don't mean that to sound as negative as it does.

that's why in the other thread i said "forgive me if we don't feel like being part of a nation that has historically never treated us w/ any kind of respect or dignity, and for much of that history considered didn't even consider us people." it is because of this that i struggle to identify w/ the ideals of America. it's more of a marriage of convenience to me. as much as i would love to, i can't buy into the "were all in this together" rhetoric because it rings hollow.

Exactly how I feel. Also my problem with the "American dream" is that in its ideal state there are haves and have nots. I realize that no matter what everyone cannot be successful but to endorse a system that willfully enforces a status quo like that just doesn't agree with me

^

As someone who lived in a couple areas full of black people a lot of black women were just as healthy looking as any other women. Probably has to do with the Bay Area/Portland having less fat people in general.

Among other things; 'American culture' just isn't as all encompassing as, say Japanese Culture or Swedish Culture. It comes with being a melting pot of cultures and races.

Among other things; 'American culture' just isn't as all encompassing as, say Japanese Culture or Swedish Culture. It comes with being a melting pot of cultures and races.

It happens in other countries too but I'd say the US has a bunch of regional cultures on top of racial cultures. So you have that complication as well.

RedSwirl

Question
Do you feel like you're "part of" America or do you just happen to live in America? Why?

There is a difference...

I haven't seen the Kanye thread yet, but I think people can ask this question because of the unique nature of America's demographics (and overall mentality).

Pretty much everyone in America either chose to live here or is descended from someone who chose to live here. The two outstanding exceptions to that facet of American culture are the African American and Native American populations.

Pretty much everyone in America either chose to live here or is descended from someone who chose to live here. The two outstanding exceptions to that facet of American culture are the African American and Native American populations.

Lots of Hispanics in the southwest are descendants of people who just became US citizens in the Mexican Cession and Garden Purchase post Mexicsn-American War (I wish that war had a different name.)

It happens in other countries too but I'd say the US has a bunch of regional cultures on top of racial cultures. So you have that complication as well.

True, even small places like Ireland have regional differences within the country.

Imm0rt4l

I'm just glad this puts to rest the debate about whether or not MJ's Remember the Time video can be considered historically accurate.

Michael was an alien, confirmed in that episode of black dynamite. This further corroborates the aforementioned theory, black people didn't build those pyramids. It all makes sense.

Question

There is a difference...

My best friend use to tell me in never felt like he fit in until he was in the Army. Mainly because where he was from you were either black or white. So him being both made him the outcast of both social groups. I've always found that really sad.

DominoKid

this 120 sec reload time is killing my ability to act an ass in the race threads today. it's making me think my posts through and shit instead of coming off the cuff.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Man, I just had me a greasy ass porkchop sandwich with a glass of grape Hawaiian Punch. Porkchop was about the size of my hands and it was delicious as fuck. Now it's time to play this God of War: Ascencion until the itis kicks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom