• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Irish, Italian etc all dealt with discrimination and slurs referring to their immigrant status...luckily for them after a few generations they're just white americans. My kids and their kids won't have that luxury due to brown-ness.

harSon

Banned
The Irish, Italian etc all dealt with discrimination and slurs referring to their immigrant status...luckily for them after a few generations they're just white americans. My kids and their kids won't have that luxury due to brown-ness.

Sort of off-topic, but are you full Mexican? A lot of my friends who are half white/half Mexican look straight up white. If it weren't for their last names, or them telling me, I wouldn't have known otherwise. The same is true for a few of my friends that are half white/half Ethiopian, and another friend who is half white/half Brazilian. They either look completely white, or mixed WAY down the line. Always fascinated me, but it sort of makes sense if you realize that those ethnicities are already heavily mixed.

Sort of off-topic, but are you full Mexican? A lot of my friends who are half white/half Mexican look straight up white. If it weren't for their last names, or them telling me, I wouldn't have known otherwise. The same is true for a few of my friends that are half white/half Ethiopian, and another friend who is half white/half Brazilian. They either look completely white, or mixed WAY down the line. Always fascinated me, but it sort of makes sense if you realize that those ethnicities are already heavily mixed.

Yea.

My dad looks amerindian as hell. My mom is Mexican but she's novela light. I get mistaken as asian occasionally, despite looking pretty typically Mexican imo.

My ex is 100% Mexican and she is whiter than my dad.

harSon

Banned
With the Xbox thing, why are people championing that? I just can't understand defending getting options removed.

The always online thing is bullshit, but I have no issue with trying to eradicate used games. It probably fucks over developers more than piracy, and there's nothing developers can really do to curb it.

harSon

Banned

What's wrong with wanting to support the developers? It's obviously not the most stable of industries considering that dozens of reputable studios folded this past generation, and hundreds to thousands lost their jobs, so supporting the eradication of used games as a means of making it easier for developers to get by isn't all that controversial.

I'm overly anal about movie piracy, and that's a position born out of loving movies and hoping to be in the industry myself one day.

Onemic

The always online thing is bullshit, but I have no issue with trying to eradicate used games. It probably fucks over developers more than piracy, and there's nothing developers can really do to curb it.

So you can't play used games on the xbox at all? Wow if true. What if my buddies bring their games over for some local play? I can't play it on my 720 unless they each bring their own 720's instead?

harSon

Banned
So you can't play used games on the xbox at all? Wow if true. What if my buddies bring their games over for some local play? I can't play it on my 720 unless they each bring their own 720's instead?

I imagine it's going to be some kind of cd key tied to your live account, so if needed, you can just import your live account to play games at a friends. Similar to how you'd currently play an XBLA game you own.

If they kill used games they should lower the price of new games.

That'd be nice, but taking away used games doesn't lower the cost of developing video games. Now, if they were going completely digital, and a Box/Bluray/Manual were no longer needed, then you'd have an argument for lowering the costs of video games.

Gorillaz

Price of games definitely won't go down anytime soon, if they did tho I would say it would be no lower then 40.

I said it in the other next gen threads but how the whole "used game" thing plays out could be big. Especially if Sony doesn't follow suit

It would end up being Publisher/Dev(MS) vs Customers (Sony) in the long run.

Tho I can't see MS doing it without Sony thinking about it too. If it goes down like that tho it will be insane.

Any black guys here ever get their hair cut by a white barber? There is a place right down the street that I want to check out but I'm just a little nervous about their experience with black men. I'd rather not be their guinea pig.

What's wrong with wanting to support the developers? It's obviously not the most stable of industries considering that dozens of reputable studios folded this past generation, and hundreds to thousands lost their jobs, so supporting the eradication of used games as a means of making it easier for developers to get by isn't all that controversial.

I'm overly anal about movie piracy, and that's a position born out of loving movies and hoping to be in the industry myself one day.
I want to support devs I care about too, but I don't act like a child about it.

Making everything increasingly more inconvenient for the consumer is something I don't support. Once that game is sold for the first time they don't need to get cut for every person that enjoys it after. Not to mention used games helping fund new purchases and excite consumers for sequels.

Imm0rt4l

Any black guys here ever get their hair cut by a white barber? There is a place right down the street that I want to check out but I'm just a little nervous about their experience with black men. I'd rather not be their guinea pig.
My barbers have all been black Mexican and Asian. If its a younger white guy I might chance it, or if I've seen his work. To me its more about the establishment, if its a super cuts then bail the fuck out. If its a real urban barbershop than I feel like I'm in the clear . My most fucked up haircut as a kid came from an older white gentleman. My shit looked like guile with a bald spot up top. Smh at him giving an 8 year old a thinning crown

My barbers have all been black Mexican and Asian. If its a younger white guy I might chance it, or if I've seen his work. To me its more about the establishment, if its a super cuts then bail the fuck out. If its a real urban barbershop than I feel like I'm in the clear . My most fucked up haircut as a kid came from an older white gentleman. My shit looked like guile with a bald spot up top. Smh at him giving an 8 year old a thinning crown

Fuck man, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. This place looks a lot more like a super cuts than anything. It's not that I don't believe they have the skill to do it, it's their experience with black hair that I'm worried about.

Imm0rt4l

Fuck man, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. This place looks a lot more like a super cuts than anything. It's not that I don't believe they have the skill to do it, it's their experience with black hair that I'm worried about.
You better take your ass to the hood. Fuck convenience, I'll travel a little ways for a decent cut if it means not going to a super cuts. Don't do it, man.
Not unless they have a barber with a rep for cutting black hair well.

Slayven

ODv98gY.jpg

i refuse to believe the anti-used is real. if i wanted to be locked in, i'd just play PC games where there are tons of deals and sales and lower prices in general.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I just don't see how anyone against the anti-used crap isn't "supporting the developers" or acting entitled. You'd think by some of the posts people who borrow games from their friends were raping developers and throwing them to the wolves. And I don't think used games are the reason developers have to close up shop. It's just not a real argument and I'm not accusing anyone in here of this personally but I believe a lot of posters in that thread are trying to downplay this out of fanboy loyalty.

Which is foolish because I wouldn't put it past Sony to do the same thing.

Imm0rt4l

Hopefully publishers don't incentivize this kind of practice to the point where one gets a significant leg up on the other. Playing favorites at the expense of your fan base would be really ducking shitty. It would be more shitty if Sony follows suit though.

Onemic

I just don't see how anyone against the anti-used crap isn't "supporting the developers" or acting entitled. You'd think by some of the posts people who borrow games from their friends were raping developers and throwing them to the wolves. And I don't think used games are the reason developers have to close up shop. It's just not a real argument and I'm not accusing anyone in here of this personally but I believe a lot of posters in that thread are trying to downplay this out of fanboy loyalty.

Its become the scapegoat of all publishers failed game sales. Its pretty much reached the hyperbole level of piracy at this point

harSon

Banned
I just don't see how anyone against the anti-used crap is somehow raping developers and throwing them to the wolves. And I don't think used games are the reason developers have to close up shop. It's just not a real argument and I'm not accusing anyone in here of this personally but I believe a lot of posters in that thread are trying to downplay this out of fanboy loyalty.

It's one of several reasons alongside piracy, the rising costs of game development and the industry becoming incredibly saturated. Used games have always been around, but with consumer insistence on AAA games, the cost of development for games has gone up considerably. And alongside the cost of development, the threshold to obtain positive profit margins has also risen. So things like Piracy and Used Games, which have been a reality within the industry for some time, become more of a factor as profits become more and more troublesome to achieve.

It's not the reason, but it's definitely a big problem.

Agreed, some games are ending up millions of copies behind what they needed to be profitable or their forecast, you can't blame all those millions on used game sales. If they really think killing used games will solve the problem of mismanagement and selling below expectations and devs closing up shop well..

I don't think it is that clear. But I am already tired of reading about it. Corporate simps are crazy.

Hopefully publishers don't incentivize this kind of practice to the point where one gets a significant leg up on the other. Playing favorites at the expense of your fan base would be really ducking shitty. It would be more shitty if Sony follows suit though.

As a developer or publisher I for sure would rather MS 'win' the next gen if it made me more money. BUT if Sony doesn't follow suit and has a substantial base it really can't be ignored. It will take some time before devs and publishers even have data to look at and analyze.

I fear that it could accelerate the nickle and diming that reared its head this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom