• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Patch

Am I the only one that feels some kinda way about EDM artists calling that genre "Trap Music?"

Or maybe being from the Atlanta area messes with my perspective.

Slayven

Am I the only one that feels some kinda way about EDM artists calling that genre "Trap Music?"

Or maybe being from the Atlanta area messes with my perspective.

Just makes me feel old, and annoyed how everything has to be a sub genre of a sub genre of sub genre of a genre.

Onemic

Since there is no clarification on the Microsoft thing I will just leave tidbit that many seem to be forgetting: I borrow games from and lend games out to friends all the time. How would this hypothetical system work for things like that? Microsoft is not that stupid.

This was another thing I was going to mention. You're pretty much fucked for that as well. The initiative doesn't only affect people buying used games, but everything surrounding it as well(borrowing/lending/renting). I just don't see how this move can be defended, as it affects too many things beyond used game sales.

Come on man why would Microsoft care if you buy used they don't have a first part lineup like Sony does. They really on third party games.

The cd key system doesn't just combat second hand. Remember that the initial cd key system used on PC was used to combat piracy, not second hand use. Making the games useless beyond the first owner as well is just two birds. And MS has never sufferred for having a smaller first party lineup. The social features have always been more than enough to keep people from abandoning them.

Mr.Fresh

Damn yo, it seems like the next gen rumors got the crazy people comin out like crazy on the gaming side. I have seen so many crazy, stupid post in the last 2 days its not even funny.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Damn yo, it seems like the next gen rumors got the crazy people comin out like crazy on the gaming side. I have seen so many crazy, stupid post in the last 2 days its not even funny.

true fanboyism is coming out. Wait till the systems actually come. the carnival of stupid shall return!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is why I think Edge is full of shit with their rumor. MS as the industry leader would not do something so stupid. It doesn't fit their development history with xbox or 360.

If anything I expect it from Sony who is prone to making stupid decisions like this (see: Linux fiasco, removing BC from ps3 later units, psn being down for a month). Sony are fuck ups that routinely give the finger to customer. This sounds like classic Sony to me more so than Microsoft.

I don't think even Sony would pull that. Don't people buy multiple consoles in Japan? That would pretty damn stupid.

Onemic

This is why I think Edge is full of shit with their rumor. MS as the industry leader would not do something so stupid. It doesn't fit their development history with xbox or 360.

If anything I expect it from Sony who is prone to making stupid decisions like this (see: Linux fiasco, removing BC from ps3 later units, psn being down for a month). Sony are fuck ups that routinely give the finger to customer. This sounds like classic Sony to me more so than Microsoft.

I dunno they both have their history of fucking over their consumers. MS does it continually with Live Gold and lets not forget their own peripheral fuckery with their overpriced wifi and HDD add ons to older 360's. If anything both companies will implement the used game bs.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sony did it before with PSP Go!

Let's look at Vita. How much are those memory cards? No PSP BC at launch? This whole thing reeks of Sony.

You could still buy standard psps. Its not close to similar

And the proprietary memory card situation isn't the same either. They have done stupid things, but nothing of that caliber.

Gorillaz

You think shit is bad now?

E3 hasnt happened yet (june)
GDC hasnt happened yet (march)
The PS event still hasnt happened yet (2 weeks)

We are just getting started.

Onemic

I don't think MS is unlikely to do it just LESS likely.

Those are far smaller infractions than Sony's.

Xbl gold does not rip off the customer though. It is a pretty great service.

Having both Live gold and PSN I still think it's one of the biggest rip offs of this generation. There's nothing it offers that can't be(and has been) done for free.

harSon

Banned
I'm officially a quarter century years old today. Time flies man. My goal is to remember ALL of my birthday party this year. I literally don't remember the tail end of my last 4 birthdays....

Onemic

I'm officially a quarter century years old today. Time flies man. My goal is to remember ALL of my birthday party this year. I literally don't remember the tail end of my last 4 birthdays....

You are now an old man. hbd

At least there is cross game chat!

Well then make that feature gold and make playing games online a silver membership. Man fuck a cross game chat, no one even uses the shit.

DrFunk

dude I don't even remember 25

e: happy birthday

Onemic

The benefit of xbl gold is the large player base. I distinctly remember playing Uncharted 2 at release - one of the biggest games for the system - with a mere 4k people online playing. That is pathetic. Though psn may be free it is not in any way a better service in terms of functionality, player base, or features. Psn is shoddy as hell and is extremely bare bones.

A good example is the network itself. It takes me barely a few minutes to do a 1 gig demo on xbl. Meanwhile on pen, that same demo will be 3 (!) Gigs and take an hour to get to 1 gig.

You get what you pay for.

player base changes depending on what game you're playing, so you can't say that paying monthly for a service is dependent on that. UC is not primarily an MP game, so that doesn't surprise me especially if you factor in when you played and saw that 4k online. If you're playing an FPS game then sure, but other then that they're pretty even in terms of player base. The only feature Live Gold has over PSN is cross game chat, which isn't useful if you don't heavily rely on using a mic and playing multiple games with your friends.

As for the network, I've never had that issue with games taking longer to download on PSN than on 360. They always go at around the same speed(in my case it's actually faster on PSN for me since I have the older 360 and a wifi bridge so I guess I can't comment on it as well as others)

In most cases you get what you play for, but there has never been an instance where I felt that for Live Gold, unless I was playing Halo or COD.

I can deal with not-so-good download speeds on PSN.

That new store has got to go, though. Holy shit

This x10. If there's one thing I'll give kudos to MS for its not making their store go from good to worse for the sake of aesthetics like the new PSN store.

Imm0rt4l

The benefit of xbl gold is the large player base. I distinctly remember playing Uncharted 2 at release - one of the biggest games for the system - with a mere 4k people online playing. That is pathetic. Though psn may be free it is not in any way a better service in terms of functionality, player base, or features. Psn is shoddy as hell and is extremely bare bones.

A good example is the network itself. It takes me barely a few minutes to do a 1 gig demo on xbl. Meanwhile on psn, that same demo will be 3 (!) Gigs and take an hour to get to 1 gig.

You get what you pay for.

Happy birthday! At least you have good parties. My birthdays have been poop for ten years running.
UC2 players were probably still busy playing the awesome single player. I'm content with PlayStation plus and even the bare bones aspect. I don't remember the dl speed for my xbl gold acct when I had it so I can't compare it to psn, but I'm sure xbl is better in that regard. Honestly I'm not really bothered by it, psn has what I need.

Wii U is the new struggle system!

Fuck this shit ain't got no games.

Rayman delayed till September

Aliens delayed till god knows when

FUCK.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
...not how I would have put it, but what Jackben said.
BirthdaySkeleton.jpg

Aliens delayed too?I thought it came out next week?

Only Wii u

Didn't want it on 360 because irlt looks like generic shooter 1001 but the Wii u had the motion tracker on screen so I thought it would ad some immersion. But fuck, the only reason I bought it was that those 2 games were supposed to be out by the end of February. Might as well saved my money, till more games were out :/

Launch consoles are tricky.

Anybody else feel that launch titles also get higher reviews than they deserve? I thought Perfect Dark for the 360 was awful and Resistance 1 was merely alright, but metacritic has PDZ at around 81/100 and R1 at 85/100.

Anybody else feel that launch titles also get higher reviews than they deserve? I thought Perfect Dark for the 360 was awful and Resistance 1 was merely alright, but metacritic has PDZ at around 81/100 and R1 at 85/100.

Kameo, CoD2, Geometry Wars and DoA4 made my launch 360 more than worth it. So many good memories playing those games. WiiU...I still haven't played any games on my launch WiiU system. I picked up Zombie U and SMBU with it. I just...I have so many other games to play that I'm not tired of. I usually don't start splitting my gaming time unless there's a game I was really looking forward to, so I have a rather embarrassingly large backlog. I blame Dota2.

DrFunk

Especially during the PS1 days. Battle Arena Toshiden was an ass fighting game but oh so pretty

letting Rayman go multi is not a sign of confidence. Waiting until the WiiU is like 199 or something just for the Zelda's and Mario's.

And yeah, I just use the PS webstore now, console one is terrible.

zero_suit

Was there any console in worst shape then Wii U now? They still have Mario Kart And Wii Fit to count on to bring in sales too.

Dreamcast, Saturn

EDIT: Forgot about the PS3.

Nintendo has GOAT 1st party strength, so I'm not too worried about the Wii U's future.

Gorillaz

Its mainly due to the higher expectations. Games that came out in 2006/7 arent worth its score today imo. Especially GTA 4. I dont think its worth 10/10 it got everywhere.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gaming side bringing the laffs:

No!! No fucking way, No!!

This is fucking bullshit! Absolute, grade-A fucking bullshit!! I've had this game pre-ordered since September of last year, thinking it was going to be a launch title and they pull this bullshit?! No. Fucking no. This game is ready to go on Wii U. It's done. It's pretty much ready to ship. They can't lie about that.

This game was my game of E3 last year. It was the #1 reason I bought a Nintendo Wii U in the first Goddamn place. Now they're gonna fuck over their customers by announcing a delay 3 weeks before it was gonna launch? Fuck that, I'm writing letters and so should you.

Write to Nintendo. Let them know how important a title this is NOT to be delayed again. Let them know you may just trade in your system if this game does not come out on it's expected date.

Write to Ubisoft. Let them know how much you've been waiting and wanting to play this game. Tell them that they're fucking over their fanbase by delaying this game just to appease to the dudebro crowd. Tell them if they go along with this, you will NOT buy a new copy and wait until you can get it used because if they do this, they won't see a god damn dime of my money.

This is NOT the news I needed to wake up to right now. God damn you Ubisoft.
Threads like this are why, as someone who works for Ubisoft and knows the kinds of people who put so much work into creating games only to see the outright shit devs get for wanting to better them and bring them to a larger audience, I can't help but dislike many GAF gamers.

Keep playing fellatio with your company. You guys deserve all of the shit you're getting now for delaying a game you've dated for this month just because you're putting it on other platforms.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again; what planet did you come from to think delaying a finished game for two ports is a good idea, let alone one people would be happy with, nearly three weeks from the original release date? You are certainly lacking tons of brain cells to not see the issue here.

Then again, you do work at Ubisoft. Sorry for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom