• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Its become the scapegoat of all publishers failed game sales. Its pretty much reached the hyperbole level of piracy at this point

It's not hyperbole at all. The margins on selling brand new games, consoles, peripherals, magazines, etc. are too slim for a brick and mortar store to survive on that aspect of retail alone. The only reason Gamestop was able to survive all this time, and grow into the industry force it is today (although it seems to be weakening atm), is on the strength of buying and reselling games. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that its hyperbole when a business was able to form a 6,000+ store, multi-billion dollar empire by doing it.

No fucking developer is going to cut Sony out because of this. The big games are still going to be on both systems.

I don't doubt that they'll be on Sony's machine but I could definitely see MS getting a more 'complete' version of games as publisher incentivize customers with DLC or something like that

Ex.
$60 for Assassin's Creed on Xbox, plus free future DLC
$60 for Assassin's Creed on PS3, future DLC available for $10

Let one more mothafucka question the authenticity of someone's blackness because they may or may not be mixed, or fair of skin, or speak Spanish or Portugese instead of English or ebonics.

Just one more. I'mma snap.

People asking me if I'm mixed because I'm light is by far the most annoying thing ever. Next to people saying I'm not very black because I don't speak jive/ebonics

Imm0rt4l

It's not hyperbole at all. The margins on selling brand new games, consoles, peripherals, magazines, etc. are too slim for a brick and mortar store to survive on that aspect of retail alone. The only reason Gamestop was able to survive all this time, and grow into the industry force it is today (although it seems to be weakening atm), is on the strength of buying and reselling games. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that its hyperbole when a business was able to form a 6,000+ store, multi-billion dollar empire by doing it.
Agreed. Gamestop is undoubtedly undercutting devs right now. It wasn't an issue before but with rising dev costs and less return on investment the industry is seeing diminishing returns.

Slayven

Devs biggest problems are budgeting and expectations.

Onemic

I don't think so, when the same big name titles you see are still making boatloads of profit for the publishers. It's not like with used games you're seeing games that normally should sell decently, sell like complete shit, it just doesn't happen. The big name companies try to frame it like the used games market is literally destroying the games industry which just isn't true. I see that the used games business is great for gamestop because of the bullshit they pull, but its existence really isn't the end all be all of the games industry.

Imm0rt4l

I don't think so, when the same big name titles you see are still making boatloads of profit for the publishers. It's not like with used games you're seeing games that normally should sell decently, sell like complete shit, it just doesn't happen. The big name companies try to frame it like the used games market is literally destroying the games industry which just isn't true. I see that the used games business is great for gamestop because of the bullshit they pull, but its existence really isn't the end all be all of the games industry.
For some perspective, peep how many companies closed their doors this generation. I'm sure bish could drop some insight. Their are hardly any small companies left.

Slayven

No one has given a good reason why games are more special than couches, cars, books, CDs, cellphones, clothes, houses, etc.

ODv98gY.jpg

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

How did I miss this. Where did you find this shenanigans, Slay? DY get into producing?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Despite what Moris might tell you, I'm no fan of GameStop. I don't know what this will mean for gaming if it becomes industry standard but I don't like it. If it sounds like punishing consumers by removing features, looks like pushing the costs onto consumers by upcharging them for shit and feels like fucking the consumers by nickel and diming them by forcing their hand then that's pretty much what they are doing, regardless of the reasoning.

We'll see how it goes. Maybe it won't be as bad as it seems. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend to like it nor am I going to nod in agreement with people trying to spin it as positive. If that's what they feel they need to do to cover their costs, that's probably what they'll do. We don't have much choice
Let one more mothafucka question the authenticity of someone's blackness because they may or may not be mixed, or fair of skin, or speak Spanish or Portugese instead of English or ebonics.

Someone get this man a sandwich.

Gamestop's rise to power had very little to do with Used Game Sales initially. They started as Babbage's and merged with a bunch of other retailers. But they actually flailed and filed Chapter 11. Their resurgence and subsequent massive takeover of the Gaming Market came from being bought by Barnes and Noble. B&N's money is what allowed them to takover Funcoland, EB Games, and eventually international markets. Funcoland gave them the Game Informer and which led to the whole Power Up card deals which made their Used Games sales popular and massively profitable.

Gorillaz

MS with Dev/Publisher support vs Sony ...seems like MS would win in the long run.

I don't think it is that clear. But I am already tired of reading about it. Corporate simps are crazy.

Naw it isn't that black and white, but it's funny reading 3 million threads about it.

Also it's weird that GS stocks went down because of a rumor. That's not my field but for a rumor and a few threads to cause damage to stocks that's a little....interesting?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Naw it isn't that black and white, but it's funny reading 3 million threads about it.

Also it's weird that GS stocks went down because of a rumor. That's not my field but for a rumor and a few threads to cause damage to stocks that's a little....interesting?
It's the stock market. Shit is run based on speculations and rumours and people making bets with large amounts of money they don't really have.

Imm0rt4l

Writings been on the walls and gs relies heavily on used games for sustenance. Par for the course, stock markets all about speculation.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Man sony is being greedy but thats what you do in business. Its fucked up but its entertainment so you shouldn't get to mad. Its not like they are hurting people with their greed.

Slayven

Folks have gone to jail for spreading rumors that fucks with stock prices. The stock market is just a really complicated form of gambling.

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

How did I miss this. Where did you find this shenanigans, Slay? DY get into producing?
Black Twitter

RedSwirl

I feel like if Microsoft does this, then the people who game the used sales system in order to save money on games will just play fewer games overall. That's why you can consider every pirated or used copy a lost sale, because a lot of the time it's from someone who would never pay the full $60 in the first place.

The other thing this kills is the rental industry. Nearly every console game I play these days is a rental from GameFly. If I'm pumped-as-shit for a game I'll pay the full $60, but that happens probably less than 10 times a year. In most cases if I just kinda like a game I'll get it for sub-$20 on a Steam sale.

Most big games just aren't worth $60, and I'm afraid that just about everything but the top blockbusters will see sales plummet under this kind of system.

Bigger budgets are part of the problem too. Budgets for retail console games have exploded faster than the size of the audience willing to buy those games, so almost everything that doesn't sell 5 million copies is a failure. I also hate the current console environment where every game is either $15 or $60 with no middle-budget games like you had during the PS2 era.

I can't say this without sounding like Boener or somebody, but publishers that aren't EA and Activision need to reign in spending, and be realistic about sales projections.

Any black guys here ever get their hair cut by a white barber? There is a place right down the street that I want to check out but I'm just a little nervous about their experience with black men. I'd rather not be their guinea pig.

I've had a Turkish barber and one that I think was from Mongolia (or probably just South Korea), and in my experience non-black barbers can maintain a skin fade on brothers but not much else.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
GS ain't all bad, the money they give customers for their old games go to new games most of the time.

They actually give you higher trade-in values if you trade the games in toward new stuff most of the time.

Also the "why don't he want me man" episode of Fresh Prince is on ABC Family right now D:

I don't doubt that they'll be on Sony's machine but I could definitely see MS getting a more 'complete' version of games as publisher incentivize customers with DLC or something like that

Ex.
$60 for Assassin's Creed on Xbox, plus free future DLC
$60 for Assassin's Creed on PS3, future DLC available for $10

Thank you.

I was trying to point this out in the other thread but half the people kept interpreting it as only on Xbox.

I would even say they might even go $10 cheaper on multiplats to encourage buying the Xbox version over the ps4.

And even compines like EA might do even crazier shit. They have a track record no Dreamcast games, and no Xbox live games for the first few years.

That's why I assume they are both doing it, because if only 1 does they will be the one to reap the benefits.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I don't think specifically in the case of Sony that used games will be completely doa.

However I could see them taking the $10 online pass system and using that model on all used games in the future in order to run/play them.

Hell, while I hope not they could have $10 for a used game unlock code then another $10 for the online pass.

edit:I didn't even take into account the always online drm bullshit cause I cant afford to roll with any system that has this implemented.

They actually give you higher trade-in values if you trade the games in toward new stuff most of the time.

Also the "why don't he want me man" episode of Fresh Prince is on ABC Family right now D:

Damn, isn't that the really sad one? Anyways looks like I'm fucked on the super convenient barber shop literally a block away. Ah well. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I don't think that would be an immediate possibility. If the rumors are true then that would mean the new Xbox would be less developer friendly in addition to the always online DRM and CD Keys.

Seems like that would favor the PS3 in terms of early adoption, wouldn't it? Also, there is a good amount of DLC sales that go to used game purchasers. So if the new Xbox had a smaller install base and no possibility of DLC revenue increasing revenue beyond that install base.. wouldn't it stand to reason that even without the protection the new PS versions could generate more revenue?

Since there is no clarification on the Microsoft thing I will just leave tidbit that many seem to be forgetting: I borrow games from and lend games out to friends all the time. How would this hypothetical system work for things like that? Microsoft is not that stupid.

I don't borrow as much as I used to, my younger brother does it tons and I use redbox occasionally.

Gamefly would be fucked too.

Since there is no clarification on the Microsoft thing I will just leave tidbit that many seem to be forgetting: I borrow games from and lend games out to friends all the time. How would this hypothetical system work for things like that? Microsoft is not that stupid.

Totally depends on implementation, really. Kindle, for example, has a book "loaning" system. Perhaps a system could be implemented where a friend comes over with his controller and the license is "lent" (some sort of temporary file saved on a memory module built into the controller) and taken home, allowing them to download the game and play for a limited time.

There are lots of options, really. It's a matter of what they can get developers and publishers to be okay with that somehow doesn't hurt the gamers.

People would learn to love MS if they could manage to do sales like Steam does.

I just don't see how anyone against the anti-used crap isn't "supporting the developers" or acting entitled. You'd think by some of the posts people who borrow games from their friends were raping developers and throwing them to the wolves. And I don't think used games are the reason developers have to close up shop. It's just not a real argument and I'm not accusing anyone in here of this personally but I believe a lot of posters in that thread are trying to downplay this out of fanboy loyalty.

Which is foolish because I wouldn't put it past Sony to do the same thing.

fuck developers.

i mean, not really, but they're a distant #2 behind consumers.

Its become the scapegoat of all publishers failed game sales. Its pretty much reached the hyperbole level of piracy at this point

dat VITA piracy...

Not that I don't agree with the sentiment but where did this come from.

Not that I don't agree with the sentiment but where did this come from.

Just something said in the black superhero thread. He probably meant nothing by it, but I just wasn't in the mood. He said, "that's a hispanic last name...is he black? mixed?" or something like that. It just wasn't the right time. I had to leave and eat a sammich.

Just something said in the black superhero thread. He probably meant nothing by it, but I just wasn't in the mood. He said, "that's a hispanic last name...is he black? mixed?" or something like that. It just wasn't the right time. I had to leave and eat a sammich.

Oh yeah. Reminds me of someone who was talking about Saldana or whatever being solely latina. As if latinos don't have a hierarchy of skin color.

Oh yeah. Reminds me of someone who was talking about Saldana or whatever being solely latina. As if latinos don't have a hierarchy of skin color.

Yea. I just...I felt the subtle insinuation like his authenticity was being challenged because he had a hispanic last name. Like, yes, the majority of people of african descent in this hemisphere went to South and Central America...so yes, it's actually more likely that a black person is going to have a Hispanic last name on this side of the planet than not. And even if he's mixed, it certainly doesn't disqualify him somehow from being in the "black superhero" thread. As if! Most of us are mixed with lots of things. That's part of who we are. It just...you get tired of explaining these elementary concepts, you know? idk.

Yea. I just...I felt the subtle insinuation like his authenticity was being challenged because he had a hispanic last name. Like, yes, the majority of people of african descent in this hemisphere went to South and Central America...so yes, it's actually more likely that a black person is going to have a Hispanic last name on this side of the planet than not. And even if he's mixed, it certainly doesn't disqualify him somehow from being in the "black superhero" thread. As if! Most of us are mixed with lots of things. That's part of who we are. It just...you get tired of explaining these elementary concepts, you know? idk.

Many latinos are mixed with black, especially those from the caribbean or Brazil. And most black people in America are mixed as well. But you know all this. It's amazing how many people don't or refuse to though. Watching the PBS documentary about the DR and Haiti was pretty fucked up. Slave populations were basically brought into so many countries and then when they were freed you had all kinds of people mixing.

I don't think that would be an immediate possibility. If the rumors are true then that would mean the new Xbox would be less developer friendly in addition to the always online DRM and CD Keys.

Seems like that would favor the PS3 in terms of early adoption, wouldn't it? Also, there is a good amount of DLC sales that go to used game purchasers. So if the new Xbox had a smaller install base and no possibility of DLC revenue increasing revenue beyond that install base.. wouldn't it stand to reason that even without the protection the new PS versions could generate more revenue?

If that were the case developers wouldn't have asked for a way to curb used games. They are not doing it for shits and giggles, hence why the publishers would put more effort into the platform that blocks used games. Which is why they are most likely going to be the same route. If one does it the other kind of has to do the same, so either both will kill used or things will stay the same.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

Do they also believe if your last name is Washington that you must be English?

If that were the case developers wouldn't have asked for a way to curb used games. They are not doing it for shits and giggles, hence why the publishers would put more effort into the platform that blocks used games. Which is why they are most likely going to be the same route. If one does it the other kind of has to do the same, so either both will kill used or things will stay the same.

If the information this dude pulled for his marketing thesis is reliable (which it seems likely to be considering how well it's sourced), than companies very much did enjoy a solid revenue stream from DLC purchased by used owners.

Do we even know that Publishers asked for it? We know plenty have complained about it publicly but I take that with a grain of salt as businesses rarely ever admit their own faults and would much rather put the blame on outside sources. It's also more important overall to go where the customers are. Between always online and no used games that could seriously swing a lot of users over to Sony if Sony chooses not to go that route. I don't think exclusive DLC or any other minor bells and whistles would be enough to keep people loyal.

I don't disagree with you but I've run across quite a few Hispanics who would insist that the Latin heritage is the greater identifier than the African lineage. Sort of like a "You don't have Indian in you" argument but more extreme. That's anecdotal of course but I'd be interested in knowing if that thought process was prevalent or not among people from Latin countries.

If the information this dude pulled for his marketing thesis is reliable (which it seems likely to be considering how well it's sourced), than companies very much did enjoy a solid revenue stream from DLC purchased by used owners.

Do we even know that Publishers asked for it? We know plenty have complained about it publicly but I take that with a grain of salt as businesses rarely ever admit their own faults and would much rather put the blame on outside sources. It's also more important overall to go where the customers are. Between always online and no used games that could seriously swing a lot of users over to Sony if Sony chooses not to go that route. I don't think exclusive DLC or any other minor bells and whistles would be enough to keep people loyal.

Come on man why would Microsoft care if you buy used they don't have a first part lineup like Sony does. They really on third party games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom