• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Dr_Cogent said:
You know what would be great for the 360 version? A way to quick scroll up and down in the inventory. I have so many freakin potions it takes quite a bit of time to scroll down. That would rock.

I agree with this. I get frustrated when trying to manage inventory at times. All the keys, potions, and scrolls take awhile to sort through.

And I'm the same way Doc, I haven't put any other disc in my 360 since I got Oblivion and I've only played some of the newer demos since then as well.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
How exactly do we get mercantile to rise? Simply buying and selling? Or do you have to get better deals and sell, perhaps with different people etc.

I have been selling to the same 4 or 5 people simply because I have their disposition maxed and haggle value pretty high already, but my mercantile seems to be stuck on 40 depsite selling quite a lot of stuff since then. Theres like no red progress on it at all, and I've played it abit since then.

Finally got 20 nirnroot last night, only to discover I now need 30!! ARGH!!

I know there are Mercantile trainers in the game, although I don't believe I've run across them. Might be a way to raise it quicker. I would like to be able to invest in a merchant so I could get more value out of my higher priced items, such as the ring I found that's worth 23K.

LakeEarth

kaizoku said:
How exactly do we get mercantile to rise? Simply buying and selling? Or do you have to get better deals and sell, perhaps with different people etc.

I have been selling to the same 4 or 5 people simply because I have their disposition maxed and haggle value pretty high already, but my mercantile seems to be stuck on 40 depsite selling quite a lot of stuff since then. Theres like no red progress on it at all, and I've played it abit since then.

Mercentile Training:
---Low Level Trainer---
1. Forosh, Gottshaw Inn SW of Kvatch
2. Mach-Na, who runs Mach-Na's Books in western part of Cheydinhal.
---Mid Level Trainer---
1. Mararte, house just east of Great Chapel in Leyawiin
2. Seed-Neeus, Northern Goods and Trade near Choorol's south gate.
---Master Level Trainer---
Palonirya, who runs Divine Elegance in Imperial City Market District
You need to have at least 10,000 gold with you to get training from her.

Leveling up merchentile by buying and selling seems to take forever. Just forget it and train it up every time you can.

Mashing

kaizoku said:

For your sanity you may want to download the mercantile skill mod... now you only need to sell 100 or 50 items to get a skill up. That is if you are playing the PC version.

For the love of god Bethseda needs to patch the mercantile skill, it's INSANELY hard to increase by default.

Thanks for the list LakeEarth, that'll come in handy for me. I have more money than god the way it is now, but I'd like to see what I can do with investing in a shop.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Mashing said:
For your sanity you may want to download the mercantile skill mod... now you only need to sell 100 or 50 items to get a skill up. That is if you are playing the PC version.

For the love of god Bethseda needs to patch the mercantile skill, it's INSANELY hard to increase by default.

Skill increases in Mercantile are largely based on the haggle price. If you don't haggle, you won't get much of a skill increase. You should always try to maximize that slider. Find novice/apprentice merchants and haggle the sell/buy slider up as high as you can, and then work with that merchant for maximal skill usage. You won't get as much gold per transaction, but you can haggle better against a low-skilled merchant than a highly skilled merchant so you'll get more skill usage per transaction.

kaizoku said:

Haha - you'll need 40 next! I just got past 40 myself the other day to FINALLY complete that quest. Advice - steal them from people's houses (there seem to be about 3-5 in every town) and just run along the edge of all water in the game.

mmlemay said:
Haha - you'll need 40 next! I just got past 40 myself the other day to FINALLY complete that quest. Advice - steal them from people's houses (there seem to be about 3-5 in every town) and just run along the edge of all water in the game.

Do they grow back in the spots they were when you picked them? When ever I return to those spots, I don't seem to find them there again. I'm not sure I want to keep collecting them though. That quest isn't that important to me, but I do just pick 'em when ever I come across them.

Xdrive05

SteveMeister said:
Skill increases in Mercantile are largely based on the haggle price. If you don't haggle, you won't get much of a skill increase. You should always try to maximize that slider. Find novice/apprentice merchants and haggle the sell/buy slider up as high as you can, and then work with that merchant for maximal skill usage. You won't get as much gold per transaction, but you can haggle better against a low-skilled merchant than a highly skilled merchant so you'll get more skill usage per transaction.

Hey Steve, do you know anything about the Corrupt Empirial Watchman quest I asked about (toward the top of this page)?

kaizoku

I've just sold like 30 items raised a few thousand gold with all kinds of sellers (including ones I'd never used before) and my mercantile is still frozen at 40. Its as if the slider is stuck...

I always haggle everytime I buy or sell step by step -

Get my disposition maxed, throw in a few bribes etc.

Sell an arrow or potion one at a time whilst raising the haggle slider until its refused. Then I back down and sell a few things and try raising again. They usually accept after a few deals.

I do the same for buying stuff, buy one arrow at a time and set the max haggle before buying bigger stuff.

Still mercantile is totally not moving. Its like as soon as I hit level 40 the slider got stuck...

I'm not training as I'm devoting every training session from now on to marksmanship.

A good tip imo, use normal boots or shoes instead of armour ones. Enchant them with say feather or shield or fortify defense or whatever and you're good to go. Never get damaged, weigh very little and arour boots provide only a low amount of defense anyway. Better for sneaking too. Anyone see a drawback to this method?

Shame we can't enchant pendants or rings ourselves...can we?

Mashing

SteveMeister said:

I realize all this. Wouldn't it make more sense to get maximal skill useage against higher skilled merchants compared to your own merchantile skill. I.E: You haggle with an expert merchant but your skill is novice. Your character has to use more of his coversational and merchant savvy in order to talk this merchant down in price. So you're in effect using mor eof your talents which should therefore mean a large increase in skill for each transaction.

kaizoku

Xdrive05 said:
Hey Steve, do you know anything about the Corrupt Empirial Watchman quest I asked about (toward the top of this page)?

I got the two guys to testify. I think all I did was persuade them and talk to them. The hardest part was tracking them down!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Xdrive05 said:

Nope, I haven't done that quest.

kaizoku, yes you can enchant jewelry in-game.

Mashing, it's all related to the amount over the "retail" price you can sell items at, so the skill of the merchant only comes into play insofar as how much you can adjust that slider.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Do they grow back in the spots they were when you picked them? When ever I return to those spots, I don't seem to find them there again. I'm not sure I want to keep collecting them though. That quest isn't that important to me, but I do just pick 'em when ever I come across them.

No, they don't grow back at all. The rewards for collecting them are pretty lame, but it really appeals to the collector in me, just like the packages in GTA (although the rewards there were much better).

oldboy1

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Well you're probably talking about Jensine.
You have to talk to the head guard person first (in the fancy armor). Then he will instruct you to get at least two witnesses to testify against the bad guard. At that point you should have, I think, three waypoints on your map pointing you to three different people in the city for you to try tand coerce to testify. Jensine the shop keeper was all for it, with a little disposition boost. But the other two aren't doing jack. That's where I'm stuck.

What you hav to do is.
Just talk to the 2 guys in the Talos area. After you've done that leave the quest for a few days. When you go back to this quest via the menu, the green/red marker shouldn't be there, that's when you have to find the white armoured guy, and it sohuld be done.

LakeEarth

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Sure you can. Just select that as the item to put an enchantment on when you are at the Enchantment Alter.
Does the quality of the pendants (silver, gold) affect how good the enchanting is? What about gems and other minerals?

Westonian

LakeEarth said:
Does the quality of the pendants (silver, gold) affect how good the enchanting is? What about gems and other minerals?

Not at all. Only the quality of the soul. A grand soul in a grand soul gem will give you the best enchantment percentage. I can't remember exactly how they break down, but for instance a grand soul gives you 20% chameleon while a greater soul gives you 17% chameleon. The quality of the item is irrelevant.

Westonian said:
Not at all. Only the quality of the soul. A grand soul in a grand soul gem will give you the best enchantment percentage. I can't remember exactly how they break down, but for instance a grand soul gives you 20% chameleon while a greater soul gives you 17% chameleon. The quality of the item is irrelevant.

Right. I think the quality of the item only effects the weapons, which inherently do more damage and such based on their properties prior to the enchantment. Other items don't seem to matter at all.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Right. I think the quality of the item only effects the weapons, which inherently do more damage and such based on their properties prior to the enchantment. Other items don't seem to matter at all.

Well, the same thing could be said about armor and it's defense rating, right?

Gattsu25

Banned
Ghost said:
arrows of immolation = god mode, everything goes down (in a magnificent fiery explosion) within 3 hits MWHAHAHAHA, just cleared an oblivion gate in about 5 minutes.
speaking of which...I just realized I haven't even reached the first one

Kordos

mxz said:
After I found the journal, it said that I must speak to Olav about this Gelebourne. I did and he said that she was slain in Skyngrad. The journal then says that I have to speak to Carius (the guard). When I speak to Carius, he says he needs evidence to support this. The marker points to Carius all the time.

Didn't see a reply to this -- you have to physically TAKE the book to Carius. (When reading it, press blue/x/whatever PC button to TAKE). Reading it is not enough.

(Same thing happened to me, heh)

-Kordos

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
MrToughPants said:
Any word on when to expect an official NIF exporter?

What do you mean? As far as extracting NIF files from Oblivion files? Because i've already done that with TES4BSA. It extracts the NIF files from the (compressed) .bsa files in the Data folder (in the Oblivion install folder).

Its not official but it works like a charm. The Texture and Mesh bsa's together come out to 2GB+ btw. I've also manipulated textures and viewed them with NIFskope.

kaizoku

I had a quest where I had to help out this orc-knight, she would follow me around, and on the way to our destination I decided to do a couple of random dungeons, she was pretty helpful! Would always charge in when detecting enemies and draw their attention. Came close to dying a few times though!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
BlueTsunami said:
What do you mean? As far as extracting NIF files from Oblivion files? Because i've already done that with TES4BSA. It extracts the NIF files from the (compressed) .bsa files in the Data folder (in the Oblivion install folder).

Its not official but it works like a charm. The Texture and Mesh bsa's together come out to 2GB+ btw. I've also manipulated textures and viewed them with NIFskope.

I meant an exporter for models created in 3DS. There is one available but it doesn't export textures/physics properly and your wepaon will look like shit in game. There is licensing issues with Havok and other companies (?) which is why I was asking maybe someone like SteveMeister would know.

Mashing

kaizoku said:
I had a quest where I had to help out this orc-knight, she would follow me around, and on the way to our destination I decided to do a couple of random dungeons, she was pretty helpful! Would always charge in when detecting enemies and draw their attention. Came close to dying a few times though!

Ahh, Mazoga... what a badass. She was in full Daedric armor with a wicked looking two handed claymore. She kicked some bandit ass.

Meier

I finished the Gray Prince quest and then fought him in the Arena and got the Dark Brotherhood bit -- that kinda sucks since I was keeping this guy "pure."

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Mashing said:
Ahh, Mazoga... what a badass. She was in full Daedric armor with a wicked looking two handed claymore. She kicked some bandit ass.

i took her into the woods and killed her for her armor. shortly thereafter i was finding daedric stuff everywhere. oh well. :lol

GreekWolf

Meier said:
I finished the Gray Prince quest and then fought him in the Arena and got the Dark Brotherhood bit -- that kinda sucks since I was keeping this guy "pure."
Yeah, join the crowd.

I think the "fix" to this is to kill the Brotherhood Agent trying to recruit you. Then you have proven yourself worthy as a true champion of Cyrodill.
but also a dumb one, since the Dark Brotherhood Quests are the best in the entire game

BlueTsunami

I just found a Ring of Mundane. Its valued at 21,600 Gold and it gives me 50% Resist Magic and 35% Spell Reflect

Also, I asked this before but it seemed like no one knows but does your Armor Value cap at 85? I'm talking about the Value next to your Encumberance (the numbers that show how much you can carry). My Armor value will not go above 85 and i'm wondering if that normal. I'm decked out in full Daedric Gear.

GreekWolf

BlueTsunami said:
I just found a Ring of Mundane. Its valued at 21,600 Gold and it gives me 50% Resist Magic and 35% Spell Reflect

Also, I asked this before but it seemed like no one knows but does your Armor Value cap at 85? I'm talking about the Value next to your Encumberance (the numbers that show how much you can carry). My Armor value will not go above 85 and i'm wondering if that normal. I'm decked out in full Daedric Gear.
Yep, capped at 85.

And as far as I can tell, the Mundane Ring is the best magic item in the game. So congrats :)

BlueTsunami

GreekWolf said:
Yep, capped at 85.

Ahh ok, thats good to know. I was worried that some plugin was messing with my gamefile. Thanks for answering :)

GreekWolf said:
And as far as I can tell, the Mundane Ring is the best magic item in the game. So congrats :)

Nice, I just found it in some random mines. It was loot in some random chest. It should come in handy.

Meier

I dunno if I am bugged or what but ever since I did the quest to save the shopkeeper's daughter and got the mercantile, I've been absolutely STUCK in it. It has never gone up an inch.. so I obviously have no chance at ever getting enough to invest in shopkeepers. Does any merchant have more than 1200 gold? :\

Meier said:
I dunno if I am bugged or what but ever since I did the quest to save the shopkeeper's daughter and got the mercantile, I've been absolutely STUCK in it. It has never gone up an inch.. so I obviously have no chance at ever getting enough to invest in shopkeepers. Does any merchant have more than 1200 gold? :\

The last fence from the Thieves Guild has 1400, I believe. =/

Meier

Vyse The Legend said:
The last fence from the Thieves Guild has 1400, I believe. =/

Aww man, I am staying clean and not doing thieves/dark brotherhood on this character at all.

Meier said:

The same thing happened to me. It got stuck for a pretty long while, however, I kept selling stuff and eventually started gaining experience again. Dunno if it's a bug, but it seems like you have to gain the experience for the "free" 5 level boost anyway before the slider starts moving again.

Meier

Bah, that's retarded. Well hopefully it will begin to move again some day as it's one of my primary skills.. and I just want it to go up in general. It's frustrating as hell!

BlueTsunami

Meier said:

I noticed this with my Marksmanship skill. It would be stuck but if I kept shooting my arrows at an enemy, it will jump. It seems like it wasn't progressively showing me the buildup in the skill until a certain point. I have a feeling the same thing is happening to you.

Unfortanetly though, the only effective way I found to upgrade my Mercantile skill is to use a trainer. I suggest you work on your other skills and level up, then try to up your Mercantile through a trainer and do that every level.

On the amount of money shopkeepers have...
At Expert Level of Mercantile, you can invest 500 Gold into a shop, at Master Level, all shops get an auto 500 Gold investment. With that said, theres a shop in the Imperial City that already has a base 1200 Gold spending limit, I invested 500 so its now at 1700 and once I hit master level of Mercantile it will be at 2200

On another note, i'm not sure if everyone knows how Skill points work for levelups but it basically breaks down to you leveling up a skill by 5 levels = 3 points to distribute to the attribute the skill is connected to.

So for example, you raise your Marksmanship up by 5 levels you would get 3 points to Agility. If your rased Marksmanship by 10 levels, you would get 5 points you could distribute to Agility. The same applies to every skill. 5 Points is also the max, so its pointless to raise a skill beyond 10 levels. If you do, you'll be losing Attribute points.

So its a real good idea to train a skill thats associated to a lagging attribute before a levelup. This is what i've been doing for Intelligence and Willpower. A good way is to continously cast a certain spell in a sect of Magic. Destruction is a pain in the ass to raise though (its also a Major Skill for me).

A good way to levelup Armor skills (Light or Heavy) is to let an enemy wail on you. Preferably a person with a dagger. Make sure your atleast strong enough to take a good 30 seconds - 1 minute of hits from the enemy. Your Armor skill will skyrocket. This is why i'm at level 39 right now :D

Liquid

Banned
never paid attention to morrowind and i didnt wanna plop down YET ANOTHER 60 on a game that i wasnt gonna play. i havent even touched Recon yet. i cant stop playing oblivion. this is just my pace. i love it.

BlueTsunami

Oh and the BTMod for the PC version rocks!

It makes the font in the UI of Oblivion somewhat smaller. This makes it so you can see more things on your screen (in the UI). It also makes the map much bigger so it doesn't feel like your looking through a tube when your trying to navigate through the map.

GhaleonEB

Anyone know what to do with the
pedistal you unlock at
Sedor (cave in the northeast mountains)? I cleared out the place, then hit several switches to open some doors, and got to the
locked room at the center of the complex. There's an empty pedistal there,
but I don't know what to do with it.

I searched the thread for Sedor and didn't find a mention.

Top Bottom