• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, my first encounter with one of those guys came as I was trailing a guard. I always do this so I can get fairly easy bandit loot with minimal risk. Well, the guard dismounted his horse, ran into the woods, and never came back. When I saw that yellow light I knew it was time to take off, especially since I had no good destruction spells or higher level/enchanted weapons.

GhaleonEB

xabre said:
Hardest enemy are the mountain lions.

I expect a reply agreeing with me.
I just had my first encounter with one. He was being chased by a mounted guard, a hunter some and other guy. The four of us pinned it up against the castle wall and beat the hell out of it. No problem. :) (I don't want to run into one alone.)

I just had two different ruins refuse to show up on my map. I went in them and all, and got the name of the place at the bottom of the screen, but zilch for a map marker. Has this happened to anyone else?

Nah. Worst for me used to be Will O' the Wisp, but those have been replaced by Goblin Warlords, aka Frenzy Swinging-Lunging-Smashing Little Shits. I've figured out to nail them with Burden spells and let my pet juggle aggro with me, but then I ran into a Hand to Hand one...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
GhaleonEB said:
I just had two different ruins refuse to show up on my map. I went in them and all, and got the name of the place at the bottom of the screen, but zilch for a map marker. Has this happened to anyone else?

the map can be a bit finicky about marking ruins you've found -- i make a point of walking right up to the door.

pilonv1

The last two dungeons I've been in have given me the exact same loot - all chests contained 51 gold except for one which had a Weak Healing Pot and another that had some Ice scroll in it. I'm only level 23 so I'm hoping this isn't going to be consistent.

I haven't had any problems with the Will-o-the-Wisps. I ran into three of them at the same time outside of a cave last night, and had little problems taking them down. Of course, my character is fairly high up in destruction magic, which helps like hell against them. :D

I nearly jumped out of my chair while playing last night though. I was on a quest that put a place on the map for me to travel to, so I fast traveled to a place nearby and started walking through the wilderness to get to my destination. I had to walk some distance though, and along the way I found a new cave that was added to my map. Then I continued on my way, and took two steps when the battle music started. I slowly started to look around, trying to figure out what was about to come at me. I turn 180 degrees to find a Minotaur Lord standing two feet behind me. He let out a grunt, I jumped in my chair, just as his axe sliced through my head. :lol

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Mashing said:
Would you guys agree: hardest non-boss mob in the game: those damn ogres in the Lifting the Vale quest. Takes LOTS of shit to take those down (their names escape me). They're basically Ogre x3.

Nah, I completed that level around the same time I did the painting level, and those painted trolls are just nasty. They were regenerating life faster than I was able to do damage to them. I had to sneak around most of them and used all my turpentine on the last one before I could make it out of there.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
xabre said:
Hardest enemy are the mountain lions.

I expect a reply agreeing with me.

Lich's are way more difficult. Mountain Lion's become very easy once you level high enough.

LakeEarth

Leonsito said:
My cousin went throught the first Oblivion gate without any problem at level 1, I'm at level 13 and had to make all the tower in oblivion running because any clannfear + another enemy can beat me to death in seconds, fucking auto-leveling!
I'm kinda sick of the Gates, so I just turn invisible and run through the levels. I almost never kill anything in those levels anymore.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm at level 42 and I would have to say that the most annoying enemy up to this point are fricken Trolls (the ape like monsters). If you want to see what i'm talking about, go to TideWater Cave.

They are fast, they hit hard and they can continuously unbalance you with almost every other hit. They also know when to back off and come in to attack and back off again. Very very annoying

Mashing

Nerevar said:
Nah, I completed that level around the same time I did the painting level, and those painted trolls are just nasty. They were regenerating life faster than I was able to do damage to them. I had to sneak around most of them and used all my turpentine on the last one before I could make it out of there.

I posted that before I did that quest. I would have to agree, it took about 8-10 arrows (WITH THE TURPINTINE) to take those bastages down.

I havent read all the posts, but Im curious if anyone else has experienced this.

In the Imperial City uni, I am trying to continue the mages quild quest and the arch-mage told me to go to Dark Fissure and find out more about the necromancers. It never created a quest entry for it, but it was marked on my map and I went there. I cleaned everyone out, got all the loot and went back. He still tells me to check out the cave. WTF? Is this a bug?

No more mages guild quests for me? :(

LakeEarth

Everytime someone things they've experienced a bug in Oblivion, turns out they didn't do some minor detail. Could I get a bit more detail, I can barely remember the Dark Fissure stuff.

Whoops, I think I made an error. I always thought there was a "destroy all Oblivion Gates" achievement, but I just checked and I can't find it. Am I remembering wrong?

Well, I am at work right now so I cant give you every detail, but I am in the University. The last mages guild mission I did was to find this necromacy book and figure out where they are located. So I found the book, and found out where they were located and went back to the arch-mage. So the book quest was completed. Next he wanted me to go to the location the book said and find out more information. He marked Dark Fissure on my map (east of Imperial City) and I set off to kick some ass. Now, a new quest entry was never made for this nor is there a dialog option about Dark Fissure in the conversation tree, but the arch-mage comments everytime he sees me asking 'have you gone to the dark fissure yet?'.

Anyways, I went there and killed all the necromancers. I searched all the chests and etc, and went back to talk to the arch-mage. None of the dialog options are for the Dark Fissure, and I dont know what I missed.

Edit: maybe I need to talk to someone else at the Uni, hmmm

LakeEarth said:
I think in that mission you have to pick up a "handwritten note" on one of the necros you kill.

Hmm, Ill have to go back and take a look. There were alot of them and its not easy to find the bodies when they are dressed all in black. Thanks for the help, Ill let you know when I play next in 8 hours.

Any idea why it didnt make a quest for me though? Seems strange

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
drohne said:
the map can be a bit finicky about marking ruins you've found -- i make a point of walking right up to the door.
Sometimes that doesn't even work. It seems like some of them require you to approach them in a specific way.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I'm at level 42 and I would have to say that the most annoying enemy up to this point are fricken Trolls (the ape like monsters). If you want to see what i'm talking about, go to TideWater Cave.

They are fast, they hit hard and they can continuously unbalance you with almost every other hit. They also know when to back off and come in to attack and back off again. Very very annoying

Fire works best against those assholes.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Has anyone noticed this?

If you are in the menu system, like looking at spells for instance, and you select a spell, go back to the game, then go back to the menu system - the fucking selection position in the list changes! It sometimes goes up and I think sometimes it goes down. Why doesn't it just stay put!?!? So basically, it's not sitting on the last thing you selected, it's something else. It's pretty annoying. I don't think it's should anticipate anything. Or perhaps this is a off by 1 bug that is so common in programming.

I hope this is a bug that is being addressed in the patch for the 360.

GhaleonEB

drohne said:
I went *in* the door to the ruins, and walked the peremiter of the structures. :(

There's only one thing that truly, truly pisses me off about this game:

So I'm on a Dark Brotherhood quest to kill this guy, and I waste all this time sneaking around and lockpicking when no one is around to see me. Then, creep up the stairs slowly, pick his bedroom lock, and kill him in his sleep. I reiterate, there was absolutely no one around to see this happen. Yet, as soon as I hit the bottom of the stairs, there's this apparently psychic Imperial Guard busting through the front door to arrest me. This type of situation has happened to me several times throughout the game. So, what's the fucking point in even bothering to sneak around? Why not just kick the door in, slaughter whoever's inside, pay my fine and be done with it? The A.I. "detective" system for the guards seems to be completely arbitrary.

Speevy said:
As amazing as it sounds, this thread should double in size before the end of this year.

This thread will probably be put to rest first and a new one will begin by then. Combined though, they should be pretty impressive. :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Has anyone noticed this?

If you are in the menu system, like looking at spells for instance, and you select a spell, go back to the game, then go back to the menu system - the fucking selection position in the list changes! It sometimes goes up and I think sometimes it goes down. Why doesn't it just stay put!?!? So basically, it's not sitting on the last thing you selected, it's something else. It's pretty annoying. I don't think it's should anticipate anything. Or perhaps this is a off by 1 bug that is so common in programming.

I hope this is a bug that is being addressed in the patch for the 360.

So no, no one has noticed it then?

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
This thread will probably be put to rest first and a new one will begin by then. Combined though, they should be pretty impressive. :)

I hope they just revive this one. Then those of us who've followed every post (LITERALLY) can just tell the newcomers to the PS3 version to read the thread before they ask questions :lol

Nerevar

Dr_Cogent said:
So no, no one has noticed it then?

yeah, the menu scrolling in the xbox360 version kind of sucks. Another example from the spell selection menu is if you use the analog stick to scroll fast up to the top of the spell list, and you end up on the heading, pressing "down" on it takes you to the middle of the list, not the first spell. this makes it a bitch to select the first spell in the list, as if you overshoot it by one you have to go down, then back up 3 spells or so to select it again.

firex

GreenNight said:
Well, I am at work right now so I cant give you every detail, but I am in the University. The last mages guild mission I did was to find this necromacy book and figure out where they are located. So I found the book, and found out where they were located and went back to the arch-mage. So the book quest was completed. Next he wanted me to go to the location the book said and find out more information. He marked Dark Fissure on my map (east of Imperial City) and I set off to kick some ass. Now, a new quest entry was never made for this nor is there a dialog option about Dark Fissure in the conversation tree, but the arch-mage comments everytime he sees me asking 'have you gone to the dark fissure yet?'.

Anyways, I went there and killed all the necromancers. I searched all the chests and etc, and went back to talk to the arch-mage. None of the dialog options are for the Dark Fissure, and I dont know what I missed.

Edit: maybe I need to talk to someone else at the Uni, hmmm
When I did that quest, I didn't even have to clear out the cave.
Approach the altar outside the actual cave late at night, and listen in on the conversation the necros are having. I believe they leave a scroll on the altar that you can take... or maybe you just kill them after they're done talking and loot it.

Note: You probably don't have to listen in, I just did it because I wanted to hear what they were discussing.

Nerevar said:
I hope they just revive this one. Then those of us who've followed every post (LITERALLY) can just tell the newcomers to the PS3 version to read the thread before they ask questions :lol

:lol Yeah, some of us have been in this thread from day one! It's amazing how huge it has gotten, and yet people contine to share great info even this far in.

Newduck

I've finally found the issue everyones having with auto leveling. I havent found much new equipment recently, or much money, so now i'm stuck with Steel stuff at level 16, alot of stuff is slaughtering me. My magic seems stupidly weak so i cant even face a will o wisp. I've had to change the difficulty slider, which blows.

LakeEarth

Newduck said:
I've finally found the issue everyones having with auto leveling. I havent found much new equipment recently, or much money, so now i'm stuck with Steel stuff at level 16, alot of stuff is slaughtering me. My magic seems stupidly weak so i cant even face a will o wisp. I've had to change the difficulty slider, which blows.
I don't see the problem. At the higher levels your enemies should be dropping better equipment/weapons for you, and just buy more powerful spells (which you would have the money for since item drops are worth so much more).

When I played the game I didn't realized I leveled up and kept playing, so when I went to bed, I leveled up suprisingly. So I slept again, level up again. I went from 2->11, and I remember later facing off against in full Mithril, while I was wearing Fur Armor and had an Iron Sword and magic that took off 6 hit points per shot. It was a fun time running around posts healing like mad :lol

I never really ran into the auto-level-up issues. There were points where things got tougher, but I changed up my tactics, doing dfferent things to compensate, and as a result, the game has remained challenging, but not as incredibly tough as some have said.

At this point in the game, I'm Level 27 or 28, I have a fully stocked manner house, excellent equipment, and nearly 100k in cash.

PhatSaqs said:
What is auto leveling?

In an attempt to keep the game challenging over the length of playing it, Bethesda has created a system in which the creatures/monster/enemies that you fight will level up as you do. So, as you get stronger, the creatures you fight get stronger as well.

Some people have found this to be a major issue for them, and depending on their skill set, they may find they are facing enemies that are much tougher than they are at a certain point. It should be noted that as you continue to progress, you will out level creatures so that you do gain on them and eventually surpass them, with perhaps the possible exception of the really high level creatures which are meant to be badasses to begin with.

Alot of people have problems with this because lets say you get a level because you increased Sneak, Armorer and Illusion. The monsters get stronger but you stay basically the same. I understand why they implemented the system, but that doesnt mean I have to like it

(Im a huge Gothic 2 fan btw)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
In an attempt to keep the game challenging over the length of playing it, Bethesda has created a system in which the creatures/monster/enemies that you fight will level up as you do. So, as you get stronger, the creatures you fight get stronger as well.

Some people have found this to be a major issue for them, and depending on their skill set, they may find they are facing enemies that are much tougher than they are at a certain point. It should be noted that as you continue to progress, you will out level creatures so that you do gain on them and eventually surpass them, with perhaps the possible exception of the really high level creatures which are meant to be badasses to begin with.
Ah I see. I had no idea of what it was. Thanks! How many hours have you put in at level 27?

Newduck

LakeEarth said:
I don't see the problem. At the higher levels your enemies should be dropping better equipment/weapons for you, and just buy more powerful spells (which you would have the money for since item drops are worth so much more).

When I played the game I didn't realized I leveled up and kept playing, so when I went to bed, I leveled up suprisingly. So I slept again, level up again. I went from 2->11, and I remember later facing off against in full Mithril, while I was wearing Fur Armor and had an Iron Sword and magic that took off 6 hit points per shot. It was a fun time running around posts healing like mad :lol

Its not a huge issue, but currently i cant really find many human enemies that drop much, so i'm mostly fighting monsters with crap drops, and leveling as i do so. So i'm not really catching up, as far as spells go, my magic skills pretty poor, not sure why. I dont even have half the Magika needed for alot of the decent spells, and my regen rate is poor, and i'm having trouble upgrading those stats too.

Its not terrible, as the game does let you get around it mostly. Its still an issue though, i'm also having trouble with stuff like Soul Gems etc, i simply dont know what they're for, i'm still unsure on alot of the alchemy stuff. I wish the game had more options for learning inside of it, i find myself going to forums and sites far too much to learn the things i should be able to learn ingame. I'm sure there in there somewhere, but they're more hidden then they should be. Going to an alchemist should be enough to teach me most of the things i need to know about it, but it doesnt seem to be.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I think my level 27 character has about 50-52 hours in. In that neighborhood anyway. :)
Damn I must be goin mad slow then. I'm level 11 and already at 30 hours I walk everywhere :lol

Newduck: Soul Gems are explained in the manual. They are used, in conjunction with the the Soul Trap spell, to capture the soul of a creature that you have defeated. They can then be used to recharge magic items, and/or create new ones.

Alchemy is one of those thingst hat you need to play with to figure out how things work, in part because there are so many combos of different items and such. However, when you move your cursor over the item, the pop-up menu does tell you what the item can be used for.

winalot

PhatSaqs said:
Damn I must be goin mad slow then. I'm level 11 and already at 30 hours I walk everywhere :lol
I'm nearing 95 hours and I'm level 22, my girlfriend's save isn't half that time yet and she's level 29.

I kind of wish I'd spent more time making my character and picking the right major skills but it was far too much reading when that wide world was on the other side of the sewers. That's not to say I'm disappointed with my char. My magic skills are lower than I'd like but I just haven't got round to going on a spamming spree to improve them.

If you guys wanna level up quicker you just need to make sure to train your major skills as much as possible as well as using those major skills when you're in battles etc as much as possible. You'll find that you'll be levelling up really quick. But with that, keep in mind that your enemies will also level up at the same rate, so there is that downside.....but with that, they have lots of better weapons so that's the good side to it as you'll find lots of really cool stuff.

You also have to keep in mind that as you keep levelling up you only get a chance to train 5 times each time you level up, so it is important to do this every time else you'll loose that chance to train your skills further and enemies will keep getting better while your skills arent at the best they could be.....so you may end up being worse off than them upto a certain point.
This link may have already been posted....too bloody long of a thread to tell.....but it has a list of all the available trainers for all skills and levels.
http://www.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=Oblivion:Trainers

Top Bottom