• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, it got pretty old for me as well. You can ask about it at any of the churches/chapels/whatever in towns to get started. It's H-U-G-E multi-part fetch quest. Massive pain the rear. But worth it to get rid of the ailment.

Oh! And don't forget that one of the DLC had an alter to cure Vampirism. Probably the quickest, and easiest way to rid yourself of the disease. I believe it was the Vile Lair DLC.

Vile Lair is very good too--almost like Dunbarrow Cove in that you can send out a henchman to take stuff, only murdering in the process (he comes back home and uses the remains of his victim to paint).

And don't forget the pain-free cure for vampirism.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh! And don't forget that one of the DLC had an alter to cure Vampirism. Probably the quickest, and easiest way to rid yourself of the disease. I believe it was the Vile Lair DLC.
"Don't want to do that giant pain-in-the-ass fetch quest? For only $1.89 (PC) or 200 MS Points (360) you too can be rid of vampirism with the click of a button! Click here to get started!"

Kung Fu Jedi said:

haha...omg CONSUMABLES!

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well, in this case it's not a use once feature, and you're done. But don't give them any ideas for the future! :lol
Microtransactions have not been as bad as I thought they would be so far. But I don't see any way "consumables" could be good for gamers, at all.

Ya hear me, Steve? :)

GhaleonEB said:
Microtransactions have not been as bad as I thought they would be so far. But I don't see any way "consumables" could be good for gamers, at all.

Ya hear me, Steve? :)

No cure disease potions in the game. You have to buy them all from the Marketplace!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
For sheer usefulness, the Wizard's Tower is hard to beat, but I'd have to give the "Best Oblivion DLC" award to the Vile Lair. Not only does it find a use for that island at the far southern end of Cyrodiil, but it gives you so many evil ways to spend your time.

- Are you tired and dragging after a long day of flinging spells or swinging your axe at wandering goblins? Take a refreshing, eye-opening drink from the neck of your handy dandy slave in a pen.

- Relax in your own private library of the undead, as the sounds of bats gently lull you to sleep.

- Take a dip in the soothing, salty waters of your own private pool, complete with handy dandy vampirism removal, for those pesky times when you want to walk in the unholy sunlight.

I'm level 30something now, still ain't started main quest. I pretty tough to kill. mages usually kill themselves due to my high spell reflection yay. Chorrol and Cheydinhal houses all fully kitted and i still have 90k gold.

no oblivion gates yet heh.

Big Nate said:
Well, that's easily enough fixed, just by going to your local neighborhood vamp hangout and boxing one in the ears.

Has this been confirmed? There was some discussion awhile back about only being able to contract the disease once. Not sure if anyone has contracted it, gone through the process of getting cured, and then trying to get it again.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Has this been confirmed? There was some discussion awhile back about only being able to contract the disease once. Not sure if anyone has contracted it, gone through the process of getting cured, and then trying to get it again.
Yeah, once was enough for me. :lol

SonnyBoy said:
Im going to have to get back into this game soon. I support Kung-Fu's cause!

I feel like a guy on a telethon! Help us to reach our goal. Your post will not only get us to 10k for this thread, but it will feed starving children in China and provide the best Public Television shows available. :D

Edit: Or wait? Do you support my cause of getting the thread to 10,000 just so it'll get rid of me? :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I feel like a guy on a telethon! Help us to reach our goal. Your post will not only get us to 10k for this thread, but it will feed starving children in China and provide the best Public Television shows available. :D

Edit: Or wait? Do you support my cause of getting the thread to 10,000 just so it'll get rid of me? :lol
:lol

I can feel a new energy in here. Gonna blow through the magic mark. All we need is an announcement of an expansion to do it! (ah, we'll do it anyways)

At any rate - I miss this game. Almost one week away now, the longest break I've taken, and it stings. The DB calls me. :(

GhaleonEB said:
:lol

I can feel a new energy in here. Gonna blow through the magic mark. All we need is an announcement of an expansion to do it! (ah, we'll do it anyways)

At any rate - I miss this game. Almost one week away now, the longest break I've taken, and it stings. The DB calls me. :(

Who are you kidding? An actual expansion would get us to 15k!! :D We'll have no problems hitting 10k now. Especially with Sonny Boy's help! ;)

Are you going through Oblivion withdrawl? Have you had the shakes yet? Waking up in a cold sweat? Disturbing dreams? Doctors in Malaysia may tell you that you have Malaria, but it's really Oblivion withdrawl. Only one cure!

yonder

School's been cutting into my Oblivion time recently :/ I only get an hour or so of play every night before bed. I feel your pain, Ghaleon.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Who are you kidding? An actual expansion would get us to 15k!! :D We'll have no problems hitting 10k now. Especially with Sonny Boy's help! ;)

Are you going through Oblivion withdrawl? Have you had the shakes yet? Waking up in a cold sweat? Disturbing dreams? Doctors in Malaysia may tell you that you have Malaria, but it's really Oblivion withdrawl. Only one cure!
Actually, those are signs that you've drunk the water here. :lol

My symptoms include, but are not limited to:

*Posting to the Oblivion thread while in meetings with senior level managers.
*Waking up at 5am to catch a cab and taking time to check the Oblivion thread on GAF first.
*Strategizing on character development and balance during a business strategy forum.
*Walking through a store and wondering if my Sneak was high enough to snag that bag of dried squid snacks.
*Staring off into space during a working session, reflecting on my plans to sack the Imperial Palace.

Crashing now...it's 11:30pm (Thursday) here. I expect good things when I awake.

GhaleonEB said:
Actually, those are signs that you've drunk the water here. :lol

My symptoms include, but are not limited to:

*Posting to the Oblivion thread while in meetings with senior level managers.
*Waking up at 5am to catch a cab and taking time to check the Oblivion thread on GAF first.
*Strategizing on character development and balance during a business strategy forum.
*Walking through a store and wondering if my Sneak was high enough to snag that bag of dried squid snacks.
*Staring off into space during a working session, reflecting on my plans to sack the Imperial Palace.

Crashing now...it's 11:30pm (Thursday) here. I expect good things when I awake.

Yeah, I had those symptoms from drinking the water while in Egypt. Wasn't pretty!

Those other symptoms you name actually do seem like Oblivion Withdrawl. You may want to avoid those squid snacks though. I'm sure they're tasty, but the words "Internationl Incident" comes to mind if you get caught stealing them. ;)

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, I had those symptoms from drinking the water while in Egypt. Wasn't pretty!

Those other symptoms you name actually do seem like Oblivion Withdrawl. You may want to avoid those squid snacks though. I'm sure they're tasty, but the words "Internationl Incident" comes to mind if you get caught stealing them. ;)
My Sneak wasn't high enough. I didn't try it.

I DID take turns taking my coworker's picture, and vice versa, doing "the shocker" in front of an utterly hilarious sign for a store called "House of Condoms". It was at the mall, nicely located accross from a shoe store and between a candy store and a kids jewelry store. A creeply old lady ran the place. 0_o

Back on topic - I've set the rather absurd dual goal of collecting things in my current character's game: Close all Oblvion gates and find all Alyid Statues. I'm up to 11 of the former and 8 of the latter. I think I need to advance the Main Quest a notch to get the next wave of Obivion gates to open up, as they seem to have dried up.

That, and loot every castle in the game. :)

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Anyone else want to take this one? :lol
*raises hand*

1) IMO, none of the expansion DLCs are worth it.
2) I downloaded the Razor dungeon. It's big, but just another duneon. There's 200 in the game already!
3) The rest, horse armor aside, are hanouts for your characters. The Vile Lair and the thieve's den seem to be the big hits there, as they provide some nice tools for evil and sneaky characters, respectively. The Wizards's Tower and Orrey are for magic users, not sure how good they are for them. But they all amount to glorified houses, in the end.

Thanks, Ghaleon. I'll keep that in mind.

In other news, a friend of mine recently went through the game without killing anything. This is his initial post:

I was thinking about how to actually make the game more challenging than it is with the slider all the way up and I came up with an idea. Why not try a tree-hugger's approach Oblivion? Basically, completing the main quest without killing anything.

Since creatures you summon count towards your kill total if they kill anything, they're out. No weapon/hand to hand skills. No Destruction spells that actually damage a target's health.

Of course, I will never be able to join the Dark Brotherhood and probably won't be able to complete either the Arena and Fighters Guild questlines. Thieves Guild is still possible and Mages Guild is a "maybe"...

Of course, it may not be possible to do this at all, depending on the situation. The end result I'm looking for is '0' in all of the kill columns.

The more I think about it character creation and birth sign are going to play a huge roll in this and it'll probably have to be a custom class because the game wasn't really designed to be played this way.

Any suggestions are welcome because I seem to have hit a wall in how to set up the character.

Today he noted that he finished it:

Well, it's finally complete, the tree hugger/no kill challenge is over now. 34 hours, 25 minutes on the save game. Level 39 Breton, master of Restoration, Alteration, Conjuration, and Destruction. Alchemy, Mysticism, and Illusion are all Expert level. Apprentice of Athletics, everything else is a novice skill level.

It certainly was fun while it lasted. After the main quest was complete I went into the market district and killed everyone I could find. From there my reign of terror branched into the Elven Gardens, Arena, Temple, Talos Plaza, and eventually the Waterfront where the game locked up. Probably had something to do with the "train" of Imperial City soldiers behind me. Oh well.

GhaleonEB said:
*raises hand*

1) IMO, none of the expansion DLCs are worth it.
2) I downloaded the Razor dungeon. It's big, but just another duneon. There's 200 in the game already!
3) The rest, horse armor aside, are hanouts for your characters. The Vile Lair and the thieve's den seem to be the big hits there, as they provide some nice tools for evil and sneaky characters, respectively. The Wizards's Tower and Orrey are for magic users, not sure how good they are for them. But they all amount to glorified houses, in the end.

That about sums it up for how I've seen things too, although there are plenty of others in this thread that have really enjoyed the DLC, so maybe they can weigh in with a different opinion.

Ghaeleon: Weren't you going to bed or something? :lol

nightez said:
Was the RE4 thread locked so that this can become longer?

No, it was locked because someone bumped it with the sole intention of trying to keep it longer than this thread. This one has had steady activity all along, and would have blown past the RE thread regardless.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Anyone else want to take this one? :lol

I'll throw my 2 septims in. I think the Wizard's Tower is worth the cost, no matter what class you are. I mean, who doesn't want a central location that has more storage than anyone could ever want (and is protected by flying imps, no less!), ready access to enchanting and spell making facilities, and what is probably the best location of any house you could own? Some of the other amenities, such as the teleporters, are less must-haves, but really the Tower has it all.

The other houses you can get with DLC are just various flavors that cater to one class or another. I guess I'm wierd for having downloaded them all, as well as owning the fully upgraded versions of all the other houses in the game, but at least I won't lack for places to sleep! Plus they are available for any future playthroughs.

The most worthless, imo, is the horse armor. It looks nice, and I could tell a difference when my horse was getting hammered on. However, it is worthless because using horses is really not a viable thing. You can't attack from them, and mounting/dismounting takes longer than it should, and steering them feels like driving a wounded buffalo.

Mehrune's Razor DLC was fun to play through. I enjoyed the underground town and such, but the ultimate reward isn't good at all. Still, the journey was worth it, and some of the armor you get along the way is awesome.

I knew someone could come through with a more objective look at the DLC than I could. The only one I really have an issue with is the horse armor, everything else added stuff that was useful to a lot of people, it just didn't appeal to me.

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Yeah, that was me. I haven't tried to get it again, though I'd like to! I'll have to get on it when I have a chance. Try that vampire lair near Skingrad again, maybe.

-Rogue5-

I beat the game last night (and by "beat" I mean I collected all 1000 achievement points). It "only" took 42 hours!!! I know I could spend another 160hrs doing random missions, but now I gotta take care of Dead Rising and Hitman Blood Money.

What an awesome, epic adventure.

Wow this thread is almost 10,000 posts? This is still what I predict if Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess gets a 7.0 or something. 10,000 post thread.

More on topic, I would play obliviion but I have yet to find a close friend with a 360 and the game itself. Yays. And my comp sucks.

snakeater

I am 90+ hours into the game and want to finish the daedric quests so does anyone know if the umbra bug is ever going to be patched?? (Naah I just wanted to post in this legendary thread! Come on people just 48 more posts)

snakeater said:
I am 90+ hours into the game and want to finish the daedric quests so does anyone know if the umbra bug is ever going to be patched?? (Naah I just wanted to post in this legendary thread! Come on people just 48 more posts)

Umbra bug? Which one is that?

Edit: Ahh...reading is fundamental! :D Welcome to the thread. Thanks for joining us on our journey to 10k!

bengraven said:
Yeah, that was me. I haven't tried to get it again, though I'd like to! I'll have to get on it when I have a chance. Try that vampire lair near Skingrad again, maybe.

It's your job to go figure out if you can re-contract the disease! You owe it to this thread! ;)

LakeEarth

I love how the game was prepared in case someone got the Grand Welkyand Stone before the main quest asks for it.
"Now this is gonna be extremely difficult, but you must find the Grand Welkyand Stone"
"I already have it."
"You WHAT?!?"

LakeEarth said:
I love how the game was prepared in case someone got the Grand Welkyand Stone before the main quest asks for it.
"Now this is gonna be extremely difficult, but you must find the Grand Welkyand Stone"
"I already have it."
"You WHAT?!?"

:lol Is that what it really says?? That's hilarious. I didn't have it until I did that section of the Main Quest, but that's great. I'd have busted out laughing at that point.

rs7k

Let's get this to 10,000!

Anyway, I just got the game, I put maybe 3 or 4 hours in, but is it normal for a soldier to know I stole a horse and arrest me when I stole the horse three towns ago? Every time I talk to a "cop" I get arrested. I'm thinking of restarting it because that's a pretty shitty glitch.

Top Bottom