• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

LakeEarth

Kung Fu Jedi said:
:lol Is that what it really says?? That's hilarious. I didn't have it until I did that section of the Main Quest, but that's great. I'd have busted out laughing at that point.
Not exactly, he goes off about how you continue to suprise him. I didn't even know what the stone did, I got it literally 50 hours before I was asked for it.

gsarjeant

rs7k said:
Let's get this to 10,000!

Anyway, I just got the game, I put maybe 3 or 4 hours in, but is it normal for a soldier to know I stole a horse and arrest me when I stole the horse three towns ago? Every time I talk to a "cop" I get arrested. I'm thinking of restarting it because that's a pretty shitty glitch.

Yeah, it's normal. All the guards will know about it. The only things you can do are pay off the fine (either with a fence or the legit way) or go to jail.

-Rogue5-

LakeEarth said:
Not exactly, he goes off about how you continue to suprise him. I didn't even know what the stone did, I got it literally 50 hours before I was asked for it.

In the dark brotherhood missions, towards the end
if you take the traitor's mother's head from the lighthouse and drop it in the room at applewatch, his response changes to "wha..huh? What? Is that.. ah.. no, it couldn't be... is that a head? I'm sorry, I'm distracted right now."
...needless to say it's pretty cool.

rs7k said:
Let's get this to 10,000!

Anyway, I just got the game, I put maybe 3 or 4 hours in, but is it normal for a soldier to know I stole a horse and arrest me when I stole the horse three towns ago? Every time I talk to a "cop" I get arrested. I'm thinking of restarting it because that's a pretty shitty glitch.

Not a glitch. It's the way the crime system works, and it can be a major pain at times. However, if you are in stealth mode, and no one sees you stealing things, you'll get away with it. Just don't talk to those same guards while carrying stolen goods. You have to sell them off first, which means you need a fence, which in turn means you need to join the thieves guild...

68 hours in and this is how it looks for me:

- level 16 dark elf using a 50/50 mix of destruction spells and one hand weapons
- ~60% done with the main quest
- joined the fighters guild
- joined the dark brotherhood
- joined the thieves guild
- on the last Mage's Guild quest
- own house in Anvil and I still use the same painted horse I got from Weynon Priory (although I'm looking to upgrade asap)

LakeEarth

-Rogue5- said:
In the dark brotherhood missions, towards the end
if you take the traitor's mother's head from the lighthouse and drop it in the room at applewatch, his response changes to "wha..huh? What? Is that.. ah.. no, it couldn't be... is that a head? I'm sorry, I'm distracted right now."
...needless to say it's pretty cool.
I always wondered what you could do with the head, other than decorate your house with it.

When is the next new piece of donloadable content?

I remember in the EGM review of Oblivion they showed the various pieces of content that will be added and one of them was Dragonfire Castle.

When is this coming and has this been the longest lapse between two new pieces of donloadable content for Oblivion so far?

gblues

Banned
snakeater said:
I am 90+ hours into the game and want to finish the daedric quests so does anyone know if the umbra bug is ever going to be patched?? (Naah I just wanted to post in this legendary thread! Come on people just 48 more posts)

Unfortunately the patches don't fix existing savegames; you have to start a new game to get the benefit. :(

Nathan

thundersabre said:
When is the next new piece of donloadable content?

I remember in the EGM review of Oblivion they showed the various pieces of content that will be added and one of them was Dragonfire Castle.

When is this coming and has this been the longest lapse between two new pieces of donloadable content for Oblivion so far?

I don't think there has bee any new DLC announced. We were discussing this a few pages back, and would love a comment from Steve or Vark, but I believe the existing DLC has sold well for them and I wouldn't be suprised to see some more in the pipeline.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wolffen said:
My PC isn't hoss enough to run Oblivion, but for PC Oblivion players, I just was a cool YouTube video of a new mod: Polymorph spell. Lets you turn into other creatures (rats, Daedra, Ogres, etc).
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=535095
Youtube trailer 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-FEEzvajGU

whitewolfavatar.jpg

STRAY!

I liked that mod... i just need some polishing apparently...
Also, i'm so sad that i'm back to non-matching 512meg ram. Total of 1 gig ram on this machine, plus a 9600xt is not enough to run oblivion..

I miss my matching 1 gig pair.. :(

In a nutshell: damn this game is demanding/damn my computer is crap

Checking up on all of my different characters, I've put about 130 hours into Oblivion and counting up everything I've spent on the game, brings the total price to about $75. All things considered, that's about $0.58 per hour of gameplay. Not a bad price, if I do say so myself.

Great Rumbler said:
Checking up on all of my different characters, I've put about 130 hours into Oblivion and counting up everything I've spent on the game, brings the total price to about $75. All things considered, that's about $0.58 per hour of gameplay. Not a bad price, if I do say so myself.

Some time ago a bunch of us were doing the same comparisons in the game. A number of us had the price/hour down to like 30 cents. Some of said we would compare all future games in the same manner. For example, Chromehounds is giving me about $1/ hour in value at the moment. :lol

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
Me too. I love his reaction, after literally several minutes of build-up on how dangerous, challenging, suicidal it will be to get it. :lol

gblues

Banned
I'm still plugging away with my new character using Oscuro's mod. I think it gives some benefits to the bow, because archery is now actually useful and it doesn't take 500 arrows to kill the more powerful baddies.

I think it'd be neat if the high-end arrows would either be sturdy enough to survive impact (i.e. 100% recovery rate from corpses) or get a damage bonus for breaking off inside the body (2x damage, 0% recovery rate).

Next version of Oblivion needs to do a better job managing poisons. 1 hit is just lame; make it 3 or 4 (for melee weapons) or be able to poison a whole quiver at once (or up to a certain # of arrows, like 1 potion for 50 arrows). You'd probably have to nerf the poisons to compensate, though.

Nathan

I've heard good things about Natural Environments. Does anyone have any account of this?

And although it is a gorgeous game, I'm kind of tired of the low-res textures in the distance. Is there anything to fix that?

snakeater

Cornballer said:
On a single character, or is that your grand total?

I have played 93 hours with my main character (Snake :D ), a big nord warrior class and born under the serpent sign. However I also have 2 other characters; a wood elf girl skilled in marksman and stealth (+20hrs) and an old "all magic" character (~5hrs)

By the way all my playtime with the first character was done in a week

Vark

gblues said:
I'm still plugging away with my new character using Oscuro's mod. I think it gives some benefits to the bow, because archery is now actually useful and it doesn't take 500 arrows to kill the more powerful baddies.

I think it'd be neat if the high-end arrows would either be sturdy enough to survive impact (i.e. 100% recovery rate from corpses) or get a damage bonus for breaking off inside the body (2x damage, 0% recovery rate).

Next version of Oblivion needs to do a better job managing poisons. 1 hit is just lame; make it 3 or 4 (for melee weapons) or be able to poison a whole quiver at once (or up to a certain # of arrows, like 1 potion for 50 arrows). You'd probably have to nerf the poisons to compensate, though.

Nathan

I concur.

Chichikov

gblues said:

Nathan
Agreed.
Oblivions in some cases balance by annoyance.
They do it with poisons, they do it with weight.
Not a huge fan of that system.

But considering oblivion probably have the best archery system in an RPG, this is nitpicking.

20 posts to go!

gblues

Banned
Vark said:
I concur.

And, of course, by "Next version of Oblivion" I mean TES V, not necessarily a patch (although that would kick ass).

With the problems happening with the stability of the Empire, do you think that there might be an Elder Scrolls strategy game? Or would the next game maybe focus on the future of one particular province to fight for independance from the Empire? Maybe a return to Hammerfell (would dovetail nicely with TES Adventures: Redguard), or a previously un/underexplored region like Elsewhyr or Valenwood?

Nathan

Chichikov said:
But considering oblivion probably have the best archery system in an RPG, this is nitpicking.

I like Mount & Blade's. Fun and satisfying riding around on a horse hitting someone in the eye with a throwing javelin and watching them crumple to the ground with the javelin embedded in their face.

GhaleonEB

Open Source said:
I like Mount & Blade's. Fun and satisfying riding around on a horse hitting someone in the eye with a throwing javelin and watching them crumple to the ground with the javelin embedded in their face.
Horseback combat MUST be added in the first expansion. I'd love to have another arena in a new city, but all horseback combat, such as jousting.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Horse back combat FTW, after getting all the achievements I have taken a break but I might download all the content soon and get back into it with a new character.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It hits me that the only content I haven't downloaded is the Vile Lair. (There is no Horse Armor, Neo.) I haven't played my three characters overly evil, at least not beyond what's required for DB quests. I never did get vampirism, so probably will experiment soon with setting up a poor guy to get infected :lol

Oblivion GAF: Journey to the End!

Yeah, being able to attack from horseback would make using the horse so much better. Of course, controlling the horse has to become easier and more fluid as well. The patch improved framerates which did help riding some what though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, being able to attack from horseback would make using the horse so much better. Of course, controlling the horse has to become easier and more fluid as well. The patch improved framerates which did help riding some what though.

One of the things I've wished the most for in a patch update was a modification to the riding controls and an option to use a slightly different first person camera system. Actually having horseback combat would be really cool, of course. It's still a mystery to me why they didn't naturally include it.

Kaijima said:
One of the things I've wished the most for in a patch update was a modification to the riding controls and an option to use a slightly different first person camera system. Actually having horseback combat would be really cool, of course. It's still a mystery to me why they didn't naturally include it.

I would also be ok with forcing a third person view while on horseback if the third person view were implemented a bit better. They'd have to improve the animations and such.

I can't believe this thread is going to hit 10,000 posts. It seemed to stall out there for awhile, but hot damn if it isn't coming back.

I havn't played Oblivion in a few weeks, been too busy looking for a job, but I have had one nagging question since I've started playing. What the hell to all of these dispell potions do? And why would I want to damage an enemies luck or endurance? You seem to get a lot of these kinds of potions/poisons and I've just never figured out the benefit to having them

golem

currently i have an A64 3200+ with a 6800GT PCI-E... if I could upgrade only the CPU or the GPU, which do you think would net me better FPS overall?

Chichikov

Red Mercury said:
What the hell to all of these dispell potions do? And why would I want to damage an enemies luck or endurance? You seem to get a lot of these kinds of potions/poisons and I've just never figured out the benefit to having them
Some enemies buff themselves, but generally I wouldn’t say dispel is overly useful.
Damaging endurance might be interesting, since you do shit damage with melee when you out of it. I’ve never tried it though.

p.s.
Encumbrance poisons are cool.

Speevy

Banned
So is this thread the longest thread in history by several thousand posts? Wow. Anyway, Oblivion is a fine game, and deserves all the discussion it's gotten (shame about the leveling arguments, but the game survived those complaints)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Didn't Daggerfall have horseback combat? Though, admittedly, the horse did little else than increase your running speed, IIRC. Perhaps it could carry a bit too. Or was that just the cart? Whatever. Oblivion NEEDS horseback combat.

GhaleonEB

Chichikov said:
Some enemies buff themselves, but generally I wouldn’t say dispel is overly useful.
Damaging endurance might be interesting, since you do shit damage with melee when you out of it. I’ve never tried it though.

p.s.
Encumbrance poisons are cool.
I've never used burden poisons - what do they do? Is it like getting over-loaded for the player, and you can't move at all? Do they stack like other poisons?

Thinking about trading the 360 version in for credit toward the PC version, now that I have a computer that can run it decently. Is there anywhere that has a list of "must have" mods for it?

LakeEarth

WHOAguitarninja said:
Thinking about trading the 360 version in for credit toward the PC version, now that I have a computer that can run it decently. Is there anywhere that has a list of "must have" mods for it?
Probably somewhere in this thread. Good luck finding it though.

Oooh, and we're almost there!

Jonnyram

Congrats on 10,000 posts. How about rolling out the hall of fame for who made this thread so huge... top 10 at least :)

Kung Fu Jedi 849
GhaleonEB 519
Speevy 284
Dr_Cogent 213
raYne 212
Nerevar 203
SteveMeister 176
GreekWolf 153
LakeEarth 146
SnakeXs 137

Speevy

Banned
I was the runaway leader for a while, but I actually had to sell the game because it was taking up so much of my time. (looking for a job) I'll get it back though. Amazing title.

Top Bottom