• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Nameless

GhaleonEB said:
Just get her hooked on it. My daughter, Natalie, likes watching me play Oblivion, as long as I don't go to the "scary fire place". I let her wander around town, talk to people and ride a horse. She lets me explore caves and do quests. (She actually recomended some strategies that saved my butt a few times. That time I was surrounded my mountain lions? I sent a parade of summoned creatures down to fight them until they were all dead. Her advice: "call some help to fight for you". Little charmer.)

Well I'm trying to wait until a commercial to lessen the chances of her crying. Lets trade, because all my little cousin does is trying to grab the controller, bite me, and pretty much do the most annoying things possible while I'm playing. She just ends up getting me killed--especially in online games....:(

bengraven

Just had to pop in and give my props for the 10,000! And what a 10,000th post!

Let's hope we eventually get an expansion pack and this thread can come to life again!

bengraven said:
Just had to pop in and give my props for the 10,000! And what a 10,000th post!

Let's hope we eventually get an expansion pack and this thread can come to life again!

Still doing ok, thanks to your posts bengraven. You helped to get us to 10k over the past few months. :)

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Still doing ok, thanks to your posts bengraven. You helped to get us to 10k over the past few months. :)

Thanks, but I was a bit disappointed I missed out on the Top 10. ;) I'll still be sticking around, as I'm planning a huge return to the game as I restart from the beginning for another 150 hour romp!

Nameless

Level 3 and I'm working with a silver shortsword.

Where can I get a nice sword upgrade without: A. Having to pay for it B. Getting owned.

ANd also, any quick leveling tips. I guess spell making isn't in here anymore so I can't make a bunch of "practice" spells with 1point cost and do them over and over like I did in the early stages of Morrowind.

Nameless said:
Level 3 and I'm working with a silver shortsword.

Where can I get a nice sword upgrade without: A. Having to pay for it B. Getting owned.

ANd also, any quick leveling tips. I guess spell making isn't in here anymore so I can't make a bunch of "practice" spells with 1point cost and do them over and over like I did in the early stages of Morrowind.

At Level 3 you're not going to find much better than a Silver Sword. Drops improve nicely as you go up in levels though. Only consistently good weapon that I can think of that you can grab at any time is Umbra, but you'll get owned if you try that one. :D

As for levelling up, I wouldn't ever recommend that you go for the "Quick" level-ups. They almost always lead to unbalanced characters that will mean you'll get owned later on down the line. Just play the game the way that feels most comfortable to you and natural, and everything will fall into line quite nicely. Why rush greatness?! When you have the cash though, use the trainers to improve your skills.

bengraven: You were very active at the end of the thread as we slogged to 10k. No worries! :) My debate is do I jump out of the thread now that we got to 10k or should I stick around and see if I can get to 1000 posts! :D

Raptor Jesus said:
Ugghhh...Being a vampire in Oblivion was such a nausiating experience

Yeah. Seems like it could be fun at first, then it's a chore. Quest is a pain too. Vile Lair will cure you quickly if you want to pony up for the DLC.

gblues

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
OH! And quick question. What's the most times a thread has been stickied and unstickied? :lol

I think this makes three for this thread! :D

I think you're right. If I remember right, the only reason it got unstickied the first time was because of E3.

GhaleonEB

gblues said:
I think you're right. If I remember right, the only reason it got unstickied the first time was because of E3.
Yup, and mass protest got it back up. Funny thing is, it didn't get much attention while stickied at all. Down it went, and over the next week got about 1,000 posts. :lol

GhaleonEB

Yonn said:
I'm trying to cure my vampirism now... Where the hell am I supposed to get 5 empty Grand Soul Gems from?
Hit a shop in the market district of Imperial City cally Mystic Emperium (or something like that). He'll have one or so. Then hit all the Mage's guilds in the rest of the towns - someone at each one will sell equipment and supplies, including Soul Gems. If you don't get five after doing the rounds, wait a few days and do it again. They re-stock after a few days.

(I had three in my inventory at the time I started the quest, just from loot, so that helped.)

yonder

Okay, thanks! :) It's funny, I've played for 50+ hours and there's sooooo much left for me to do. It's almost overwhelming. I love this game.

Getting the Umbra is a piece of cake if you're Argonian like I was. Just make sure you have decent speed/agility. Have Umbra chase you until you go back to the area of the ruin with the poison gas chamber and trap her there while you run around and laugh because you're poison resistent.

PS: Is there an easier way of dealing with wraiths? Such a chore being encumbered by their spells.

Nameless

The Dark Brotherhood stuff is AMAZING.

Dark Brotherhood orc: "I had contract to kill a young child at her birthday party. The girl sees me and ask If I'm the jester. I respond NO, I AM THE BRINGER OF DEATH!. The girl went hysterical. I made sure that her 6th birthday party was her last." :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I think i'm about to start a Vampire save since I was recently offered the "dark gif".

yonder

Dang vampirism! :(

I completed the quest. That bit*h got cured but I didn't, whatsup? Do I have to collect all the ingredients all over again? Isn't that impossible since there is only one of the special vampire's ash? Am I screwed?

Edit: I had a look at some FAQs and it looks like I'm screwed. When I talk to the king's (or whatever) messenger (or whatever) she sais that I should wait for him in the County Hall! But I've already talked to him and the quest is completed! I guess I could download Vile lair and cure myself that way, right? But I don't want to pay to get a bug fixed... And I don't have any Microsoft points... Gah!

:(

masterofbathhouseterror said:
Getting the Umbra is a piece of cake if you're Argonian like I was. Just make sure you have decent speed/agility. Have Umbra chase you until you go back to the area of the ruin with the poison gas chamber and trap her there while you run around and laugh because you're poison resistent.

PS: Is there an easier way of dealing with wraiths? Such a chore being encumbered by their spells.

Someone else recommended dropping Umbra into the pit, but that didn't work for me. Imagine my surprise when the pit trap reset and she came up, alive and well! :lol

Dealing with wraiths means you need at least silver weapons, magical is better. Earlier on though, I used spells against them. They can be quite challenging, but later in the game you'll armor or other items that provide magical resistence, which helps.

GhaleonEB

Yonn said:
Dang vampirism! :(

I completed the quest. That bit*h got cured but I didn't, whatsup? Do I have to collect all the ingredients all over again? Isn't that impossible since there is only one of the special vampire's ash? Am I screwed?

Edit: I had a look at some FAQs and it looks like I'm screwed. When I talk to the king's (or whatever) messenger (or whatever) she sais that I should wait for him in the County Hall! But I've already talked to him and the quest is completed! I guess I could download Vile lair and cure myself that way, right? But I don't want to pay to get a bug fixed... And I don't have any Microsoft points... Gah!

:(
You should have a potion in your inventory to cure it - you were given two doses, one for her and one for you.

yonder

GhaleonEB said:
You should have a potion in your inventory to cure it - you were given two doses, one for her and one for you.
I ran and cheched as soon as I read this and you were right! Happiness! :) Too bad I already ordered that Microsoft Points card, though, but I guess I'll find some things to buy with it.

Thanks for the help!

Deadbone

Im currently stuck on the Fighter Guild Faction Quests. Can anyone please help??? I have completed the Azani Blackheart Quest The problem is that 'Blackheart's Ring' was not removed from my inventory when i talked with Oreyn.

Whenever i walk through the front door of Leyawiins Fighters Guild, Oreyan congratulates me on killing Azani Blackheart. The item still does not come out of my inventory. When i ask about advancement I am told I'm not ready and have to finish any jobs or tasks for the guild (I check with Azzan or Gro-Khash who both say the same thing). I have completed all other quests up to here. All three guild heads give no option for tasks.

I have completed; Rat problem, Unfortunate Shopkeeper, Desolate Mine, Unfinished business, Drunk and disorderly, Den of Thieves & Newheim's Flagon, Amelion's Debt, Master's Son, More Unfinished Business, Azani Blackheart (comes up in my quest log as a current quest but uncompleted)

Can anyone please help. Im worried i've come up against a glitch. Maybe im missing some weird side quest? :[

GhaleonEB

Deadbone said:
Im currently stuck on the Fighter Guild Faction Quests. Can anyone please help??? I have completed the Azani Blackheart Quest The problem is that 'Blackheart's Ring' was not removed from my inventory when i talked with Oreyn.

Whenever i walk through the front door of Leyawiins Fighters Guild, Oreyan congratulates me on killing Azani Blackheart. The item still does not come out of my inventory. When i ask about advancement I am told I'm not ready and have to finish any jobs or tasks for the guild (I check with Azzan or Gro-Khash who both say the same thing). I have completed all other quests up to here. All three guild heads give no option for tasks.

I have completed; Rat problem, Unfortunate Shopkeeper, Desolate Mine, Unfinished business, Drunk and disorderly, Den of Thieves & Newheim's Flagon, Amelion's Debt, Master's Son, More Unfinished Business, Azani Blackheart (comes up in my quest log as a current quest but uncompleted)

Can anyone please help. Im worried i've come up against a glitch. Maybe im missing some weird side quest? :[
That's odd. Have you tried visiting the other guildhalls, not just the main three?

Deadbone

GhaleonEB said:
That's odd. Have you tried visiting the other guildhalls, not just the main three?
I have, but I will check them all again just in case i've missed something small. Good point though, thanks. I just expected the item to come of my inventory therefore marking the quest completed. Back to the guilds i go......:)

yonder

Whatsup with the pirates in the Imperial City Waterfront? Sometimes they randomly attack me and other people, but I've tried not to kill them in case there's some quest you can do involving them. Is there?

GhaleonEB

Yonn said:
Whatsup with the pirates in the Imperial City Waterfront? Sometimes they randomly attack me and other people, but I've tried not to kill them in case there's some quest you can do involving them. Is there?
I think there's a Dark Brotherhood quest involving them, though it could be a different town. I provoked them into attacking me by walking onto their ship; they attacked and I ran to a guard for help. They got slaughtered. I joined in once they hit a guard. :D

GilloD

Banned
Okay, so, I got a note from the Theive's Guild to meet them in the Garden of Dealthor in the Waterside District. I spent a good hour or so walking all around the district- No garden! What gives?! Is it possible to recieve another invitation in another city with a slightly more extant location?

yonder

GilloD said:
Okay, so, I got a note from the Theive's Guild to meet them in the Garden of Dealthor in the Waterside District. I spent a good hour or so walking all around the district- No garden! What gives?! Is it possible to recieve another invitation in another city with a slightly more extant location?
You're supposed to be there in the middle of the night, twelve I think. Just follow the green arrow, it's not a garden, really.

GilloD said:

You'll meet him at mid-night in the "garden" which is really just a backyard of some house, surrounded by a stone fence.

And no, you can't join the thieves guild in a different town. This is it.

bengraven

GhaleonEB said:
I think there's a Dark Brotherhood quest involving them, though it could be a different town. I provoked them into attacking me by walking onto their ship; they attacked and I ran to a guard for help. They got slaughtered. I joined in once they hit a guard. :D

Yeah, you have to kill
the captain
, but I'm not sure if you can do it pre-Brotherhood. I ended up killing the pirates early on because I accidently stepped foot on the boat; I think I "floated" over the boat some way, but can't remember. The Imperial Guard wiped them all out. I tossed the bodies over the edge! :lol And this was VERY early on. Like within my first six hours early.

But I really notice the perception around here is that the Dark Brotherhood is the absolute best plotline in the game. I hope Steve and Vark are keeping track! ES:V much darker and bloodier?!

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You'll meet him at mid-night in the "garden" which is really just a backyard of some house, surrounded by a stone fence.

And no, you can't join the thieves guild in a different town. This is it.

This was something I really want to change next time around. One of the fun things about Morrowind was that you could join some factions in multiple towns and start that sanctuary's missions right from there. I'd like to see more Dark Sanctuaries or just be able to start a certain city's Fighter's Guild quests right from the start.

I understand why they did it (to make a more coherant storyline), but I just wish it was a bit more freeform.

Edit: Oops, double post.

yonder

Just started the main quest.
The Oblivion plane was a quite hellish place, I liked it. :) Hard enemies, though. The main story is actually interesting, but I'm not touching the main story until I've explored all the cities and done the thieve's guild and mage's guild quests.

Raiden

Banned
Hi, i said i was only coming back when i liked the game...well.. i like it..alot:lol

Im still only lv 6, i lv quite slowly, but i do travel alot and explore, but i wonder..those invisible walls will you ever be able to go past them(with past them i mean, will i be able to go to hammerfell etc?) at some lv? I cant really see myself spending 100+ hours in the same zone's im at.

Yes im full of stupid questions like this, its my nature :(

GhaleonEB

Raiden said:
Hi, i said i was only coming back when i liked the game...well.. i like it..alot:lol

Im still only lv 6, i lv quite slowly, but i do travel alot and explore, but i wonder..those invisible walls will you ever be able to go past them(with past them i mean, will i be able to go to hammerfell etc?) at some lv? I cant really see myself spending 100+ hours in the same zone's im at.

None of those are actually stupid questions, though. No, in the current game you can't ever get out of the province and outside the borders. It does show how nicely an expansion or two could snap into the game world - I really, REALLY want to keep walking past those borders! Drives me nuts when I run into it, expecially when you can see for so far past the border.

Glad you like the game now. :)

Raiden said:

Welcome back! Glad you've fallen in love with the game now! :)

Unfortunaetly you won't be leaving the area you currently see in the game, at least not until an expansion. You can kill 100 hours no problem though, in the area that you are in. Clearing out Oblivion Gates, doing the Guild Quests, and Main Quest will keep you plenty busy.

bengraven said:
This was something I really want to change next time around. One of the fun things about Morrowind was that you could join some factions in multiple towns and start that sanctuary's missions right from there. I'd like to see more Dark Sanctuaries or just be able to start a certain city's Fighter's Guild quests right from the start.

I understand why they did it (to make a more coherant storyline), but I just wish it was a bit more freeform.

Yeah, I agree. Having the guilds be more open and flexible would be great. I also missed the different Great Houses that you could join in Morrowind as well. Those questlines were very complex and interesting, with how you could play the houses against one another. Very deep stuff. I'd like to see a return to some of that next time out.

Just a quick shout-out to all the Gaffers and this amazing thread. I've been coming to GAF for a long time, and this is my first post. 10,000 posts in a single thread, amazing.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the support you've given us on this game and over the years.

t

todd@bethesda said:
Just a quick shout-out to all the Gaffers and this amazing thread. I've been coming to GAF for a long time, and this is my first post. 10,000 posts in a single thread, amazing.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the support you've given us on this game and over the years.

t

Hey! Another Bethesda guy on GAF! Welcome, and this thread is perfect for your first post! Thank you for a great game that we all love so much.
Now get to work on an expansion!

impirius

My wife and I went on a hike yesterday after playing Oblivion all day Saturday, and we kept scanning the edges of the trail for alchemy ingredients.

I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY BETHESDA

GhaleonEB

todd@bethesda said:

t
Gotta say, from first-time ES player (and Bethesda game owner), Oblivion has raised the bar for what I expect from games. It's really the game that keeps on giving. Thanks!

impirius said:
My wife and I went on a hike yesterday after playing Oblivion all day Saturday, and we kept scanning the edges of the trail for alchemy ingredients.

:lol :lol :lol

impirius said:

:lol :lol :lol

But seriously. Did you find any? I need a few more ninroots.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I completed the Fighter's Guild questline last night... first of the four I've gotten through. It's also my least favorite by a pretty wide margin (I'm about 2/3rds through the other three).

What the hell is up with the quests being exactly the same when I'm the freaking CHAMPION of the guild as they are when I first join? Go kill some trolls. Or goblins. Or orgres. Repeat 10X. Yeah one could argue that nearly *all* the quests in the game fall into that description, but the fighter's guild questline seemed especially bad. There was no "line" to the quests - just random shit, besides the occasional blackwood company appearence.

That being said, the final Fighter's Guild quest is *probably* my favorite of the entire 50-hour experience so far.
There's just something incredibly cool about busting into THEIR GODDAMN HQ to systematically execute them all, one floor after another, until I get what I need. Yeah it's not really any different than going into a cave hideout or something, but it felt WAY more badass. As we slung spells back and forth books and dishes were flying everywhere.

I made sure I busted out the big guns for the battle, too. I pulled out the enchanted staffs I save for special occasions :) Recharging them gets expensive! So everyone went down nice and easy.

They also also had freaking badass loot on them. I saved and quit right after I became guild master but I intend on returning naked and unarmed, and with the most powerful feather spell I have. I'll loot everything off all the corpses, and everything else in the house as well. Yeah some of it has very little value... but it's the principal of the goddamn thing.

bengraven

todd@bethesda said:

t

As in Todd Howard? Either way, it's always great to say congrats on the fantastic game to anyone at Bethesda!

kfj said:
That Super-Powerful Potion that I've been working on of course! ;) Or maybe I just want to see how it smokes.

IT'S NOT WORTH IT. Smoke it if you've got it, though. ;)

todd@bethesda said:

t

Kneel before Todd? :D

Yeah, well done. Tamriel is now my second home. :)

teiresias

I noticed some pop-in walking through the park the other day. I've also found myself wanting to apply the Natural Environments mod to real-life lately.

WHERE ARE YOU DAEDRIC ARMOR?

How come I bust my ass for hours getting to level 23 and I can only find armor pieces NOT INCLUDING the helmet on Valkynaz? I finally became smart and did the chameleon thing, running through random Oblivion gates to check for armor.

EDIT: SPOILERS

And now I've finished the main quest, so there are no many gates to close.

Top Bottom