• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GreekWolf

Solo said:
That said, quantity doesnt matter, its all about quality. Thankfully, Oblivion has both.
Absolutely. If Kabuki Warriors had 200 hours of gameplay, I'd still give it a thumbs down. :)

I probably just pissed someone off

GreekWolf

chigiri said:
You can't start this quest until you're at least level 20

Offer a Daedra Heart at the Shrine of Boethia

MOOOOOORTAL KOMBAT!!! *cue cheesy 90's techno music*

Good luck :)

Nander

slayn said:
I've not done the main quest at all but I imagine if you go to your quest list and click on it to make it the active quest your compass/map will show you where they are.

Unfortunatly not, the arrow points at
Cloud Ruler Temple
where I'm supposed to take them.

Seth C

GreekWolf said:
You can't start this quest until you're at least level 20

Offer a Daedra Heart at the Shrine of Boethia

MOOOOOORTAL KOMBAT!!! *cue cheesy 90's techno music*

Good luck :)

Where is the Shrine of Boethia, generally speaking?

Tony HoTT

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
PC Mod is out to randomize levels and loot on baddies.
My only problems with mods like this is that the original configuration has had lots of playtesting (hopefully) and I would feel like guineapig testing this out. I don't want to waste any time.

Tat

Banned
I really want to play this but it ran at like sub 15 fps on my computer. :(

Oh well maybe in a couple of years.

knitoe

Need help with Brotherhood Questline:

Need to kill J'ghasta (supposely good with hand to hand combat). I go into his house, but can't find him. Going in map window, I see it says "Secret Training Room." Am I suppose to go into there? If yes, can't find way to get in.

Solo

knitoe said:
Need help with Brotherhood Questline:

Need to kill J'ghasta (supposely good with hand to hand combat). I go into his house, but can't find him. Going in map window, I see it says "Secret Training Room." Am I suppose to go into there? If yes, can't find way to get in.

Look at the floor, its a trapdoor. Took me a while too :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ugh, I hit level 20 with my stealth marksman and decided it was hightime to finally reach Kvatch and continue the plot.

Damn these Oblivion gate sections blow hard for a Thief. I had to jack the difficulty down to near 33% just to balance the need to kill stuff with 4 arrows instead of 16. (Not to mention spider bitches killing me in two hits.) Sucks because I had been prefectly content taking on dungeons and sidequests with the slider just two clicks left of center, but I had to really dip down just to make this part somewhat enjoyable(which it wasn't).

Tony HoTT

Banned
Brandon F said:
Ugh, I hit level 20 with my stealth marksman and decided it was hightime to finally reach Kvatch and continue the plot.

Damn these Oblivion gate sections blow hard for a Thief. I had to jack the difficulty down to near 33% just to balance the need to kill stuff with 4 arrows instead of 16. (Not to mention spider bitches killing me in two hits.) Sucks because I had been prefectly content taking on dungeons and sidequests with the slider just two clicks left of center, but I had to really dip down just to make this part somewhat enjoyable(which it wasn't).
Yeah this happened to me too. I was a little further along in the main quest though. Earlier in the game I killed everything easy. Now Goblins, Skeletons, Ogres, and Will O' Wisps are giving me the most trouble. This one mission was all Ogres and I had a hell of a time beating it, and but I have too much honor to turn the difficulty down. I might though if it means I'll stop enjoying the game.

I just don't understand scaling enemies with your level. I mean, it really defeats the purpose of leveling in general o_O

Solo

Hey guys, where can I attain an Elven bow quickly? Im at a point in the game now (Lvl. 19) where baddies are only dropping Glass it seems, and I need an Elven one. Thanks.

Pellham

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Can you kill Martin after Kvatch? I never tried.

doubt it, he probably will fall unconsious.

i found Chancellor Ocato and tried to kill him, but he fell unconsious. Wonder what kind of role in the plot he plays...

Pellham

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Can you kill Martin after Kvatch? I never tried.

doubt it, he probably will fall unconsious.

i found Chancellor Ocato and tried to kill him, but he fell unconsious. Wonder what kind of role in the plot he plays...

Shabaz

Neo Member
Once a rat corners me how do I get out? As soon as a rat hits me I can't move, the rat just hits me over and over till I die.

raYne

Shabaz said:
Once a rat corners me how do I get out? As soon as a rat hits me I can't move, the rat just hits me over and over till I die.
:lol!

Your stats must be really low (agility?) 'cause that isn't supposed to happen. Best you can do is learn to dodge until you get your stats up.

GreekWolf

Just a heads up for those of you entering the Tournament of Ten Bloods -

Make sure you come loaded for bear. Stock up on every healing potion, soul gem ( for recharging items ) and repair hammer as you can carry.

Boethia don't like wimps... and won't let you leave his arena to run back into town and stock up on goodies. You really do get a Mortal Kombat vibe from the whole thing. He even quotes Shang Tsung - "Your soul is mine!"

FWIW, I'm level 27, my strength and endurance are maxed out... and I'm really struggling to get past the 4th round.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Solo said:
Hey guys, where can I attain an Elven bow quickly? Im at a point in the game now (Lvl. 19) where baddies are only dropping Glass it seems, and I need an Elven one. Thanks.

Can't you just buy it in a store? I'm using a glass bow and I think shops still sell even back to iron bows.

Being able to enchant stuff in this game seems way overpowerd to me... at level 15 the absolute best bow I had ever come across was still a dwarven bow with +10 cold damage. Which seemed pretty decent to me. As soon as I happened across my first glass bow I decided to enchant it. Now I have a bow that is +15 fire damage, +15 shock damage, +auto soul drain.

And the enemies in the game are just pathetic now...

I haven't even bothered with armor. My current armor class is 0.

Solo

O...M...G... So the Tournament of Ten Bloods is like the best thing ever. So rewarding. You get a crazy haul of the best shit out there, and then topping it off, Boethia gives you a badass sword for winning. Whoever told us about this quest, god bless you. Most rewarding thing, loot-wise, easily Ive done thusfar!

GreekWolf

Solo said:
O...M...G... So the Tournament of Ten Bloods is like the best thing ever. So rewarding. You get a crazy haul of the best shit out there, and then topping it off, Boethia gives you a badass sword for winning. Whoever told us about this quest, god bless you. Most rewarding thing, loot-wise, easily Ive done thusfar!
You're welcome :D

And I just finished it myself. That last battle was the biggest pain in the ass I've ever had to deal with in the Elder Scrolls Series. But the
Goldbrand
made it all worth it.

It's a pretty awesome feeling to read through the "Tamriel Lore" journal, about all of the mythical artifacts in the world.... then to open up your inventory and see one of them in your possession.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
After taking a break so as not to get too jaded, I created a thief/assassin type character (one that won't level up quickly since I thought the level 20+ game was dumb...two major skills that I'll use, the rest filler that I won't), and went straight into the dark brotherhood quest line.

Yeah, this is definitely by far the best of the four main faction quest lines, and I'm back to enjoying the game ;b

Solo said:

Is Elven better than glass?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I swear, the amount of cash you get after level 25 or so is just insane. I have over 120k septims at level 31, and that's just from selling stuff worth 1500 or less (as my Mercantile skill isn't high enough to give gold to vendors yet).

That's cool about the 2nd arena. I've been going through the Daedric shrine quests as I find them, but haven't run onto that one yet.

My favorite thus far:

I loved the one that was terribly evil, where Molag Bal had you take a cursed mace and get a paladin to corrupt himself by killing you with it. It was great because you actually had to talk to people, find the guy's house, and then come up with a way to get him to attack you. The fact that he swore off weapons after his wife got killed was just icing on the cake. Made me feel dirty, doing that quest, but in a good one haha!

Ark-AMN

Banned
Heh, I'm in my second trip to Oblivion and I'm a bit suprised that this game got away with just a T rating, there's some freaky shit in that world thats quite greusome if you look around. Oh well, just me thinking. Game rules BTW. :D

Oh yeah, for future reference, what shop in the game has the most money on hand when you sell stuff?

And is Glass the highest quality Light Armor there is? I know Deadric is the highest Heavy Armor.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Fun with cloning
dsc013055pv.jpg

It was a slideshow, and you had to hold buttons to get them to register, but no crashes.

Rodriguez

How can I cure Vampirism?

I was told to go to the University, but the guards keep chasing me. Hell, I can't go into any town without the guards calling for my head.

Has anyone had a horse they had bought completely disappear?

I had Shadowmere with me for at least 15 hours, and then after I came out of a dungeon, he was gone. Even fast traveling didn't bring him back. I miss the vicious beatdowns he would dole out.

Solo

ZootedGranny said:
Has anyone had a horse they had bought completely disappear?

I had Shadowmere with me for at least 15 hours, and then after I came out of a dungeon, he was gone. Even fast traveling didn't bring him back. I miss the vicious beatdowns he would dole out.

He'll be back at Fort Farragut.

Thanks! Now if I can just find a Daedric helmet, I'll be set.

I didn't consider myself a fan of this type of game, but I can't put it down. I think I've put in nearly 50 hours without even touching the main quest. It's a sickness.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I never seem to come across any shrine quests.

Usually when I go in a chapel its empty or the people there dont tell me anything. I go to the little pedestals which tell me to make pilgrimages to places I don't know...and I'm like...wtf....ok on with my current quest. But yeah I feel like I'm missing something there....

Had a very interesting time today helping my bro out on his game.

He's just recently joined the thieves guild and had to do that mission where you steal a bust from some palace tomb (only to find out it was a test to find out who the spy was). Anyway he got spotted, nabbed the bust and had to run for ages to escape. Stole a horse and ran across like half the map.

As you may know Armand goes missing at this point and the place he's at is swarming with guards. My bro has a bounty of like 1000+ for whatever reason (think he killed a guard at some stage) and it was a nightmare trying to further the quest, all the guards would just come at us instantly. Using his khajit invisible power I managed to plant the bust in the spy's cupboard, but how to report her to Lex when all he wants to do is chop your head off??

We didnt know how to get rid of our bounty since Armand was gone, did not have enough money to pay the fine to the guards and did not want to go to jail and face the resulting stat drop. Every city we went to would have the guards onto us in seconds, there really was no hiding place. Even my beloved pirate ship wasn't the safest place to get to as it seems the guards always knew where we were. It was so challenging having to really think our way out of this mess, literally running for our lives within 5 seconds of going near any city.

Eventually we had to track down the other Doyen S'kreeva(sp?) which was a pain as we'd not been to his city and there was no marker. We had to run around Bravil with guards on our tail until we found his house highlighted on the map, we lockpick his door and run upstairs. The guards wait downstairs and our summon skeleton keeps them at bay without killing them. S'kreeva eventually comes home to this mess and we talk to him - turns out our bounty has gone up to 3000 and we dont have enough to pay even the reduced bounty holy shit!!! :lol So we run back out, and retreat out of the city until we could fast travel.

now we have to raise some money, which is a pain when guards chase you on sight! we head to imperial city merchant district, run away from the guards and sell loads of crap before running back out until we can fast travel once again. Leg it over to S'kreeva dodging the psycho guards and pay our bounty.

But we're STILL being chased by every guard around! I yield and he stops, but then charges at me again! So I get out of the city and run with guards chasing me. Eventually I decide to look at the stats and see why they are chasing me. no bounty! but hold the phone... lo and behold, my bro has been wearing an outfit he stole from a dark broherhood assassin's house so they were all chasing him cos they thought he was in the dark brotherhood >_< FUUUUUUCKKK!!!!!!!

anyway - yay our bounty was gone, we were naked after selling loads of things and ditching the dreaded Dark Brotherhood robes, and Lex was our friend again. Quest complete. Time to go to sleep and level up. First thing he see's when he wakes up? Dark Brotherhood representative telling him he is a murderer and should join the family :lol

Was a really fun and stimulating set piece/problem which (while based on a scripted quest) was kind of unscripted and was really of my brother's own making. He paid the price for some of the bad deed's he'd done earlier :lol

The above took us like 4 hours to figure out and quite a few re-loads, but it was immensely satisfying in the end, so many times we were like "oh man reload your save from like 6 hours ago and do it all over again", but glad we stuck with it. It was totally different to how that quest panned out for me and we really had to think our way out of it. Its been a long time since any game has made me feel hopeless or on the brink of despair, not because of difficulty or level design but because of my previous actions and their consequences. Sorry for the long post :D

One of the best games I've played. Ever.

Speevy

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Fun with cloning
dsc013055pv.jpg

It was a slideshow, and you had to hold buttons to get them to register, but no crashes.

:lol :lol :lol

If you could somehow get an NPC to walk into something like that, you'd bury them alive.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Actually, that is in the Anvil Mages Guild, and the one lady is stuck behind her counter

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally hit level 4! Chorral is my base of operations. I've joined the Mage and Fighters Guilds there. Anyone beside me totally clear them out of goods (since apparently, most everything there is free for the taking to members) and make THOUSANDS selling it back to them (or other) stores?

Suikoguy

Mejilan said:
Finally hit level 4! Chorral is my base of operations. I've joined the Mage and Fighters Guilds there. Anyone beside me totally clear them out of goods (since apparently, most everything there is free for the taking to members) and make THOUSANDS selling it back to them (or other) stores?

Yeah :)
That is a great way to build Mercantile too

Speevy

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Actually, that is in the Anvil Mages Guild, and the one lady is stuck behind her counter

When they finally figure out perma-conjurations like Morrowind, this stuff is going to be insane. Army of minotaurs attack!

Xdrive05

Could anyone give me some pointers on how to kill the "will of the wisps" or whatever they're called? I have to kill one and I absolutely get SLAUGHTERED every time I try.

I'm a lvl9 Dark Elf with pretty good majic and melee abilities. But every time I do ANY damage, it heals itself or does some kind of drain attack on me (with the reddish lightning affect). I haven't even been able to do more than about 10 - 20 percent damage on one yet.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Suikoguy said:
Yeah :)
That is a great way to build Mercantile too

Coincidentally, it was during the last stages of this 1.5-hour long harvesting/selling spree that I went from Novice to Apprentice in Mercantile (one of my Minor Skills).

Woo!

GreekWolf said:
Southeast of Cheydinhal, located in the Valus Mountains

Could you help me out w/ more specific directions? I went searching southeast (really southeast) and couldn't find it (found Doomed Mine). A screenshot of the location on the gamemap would be really helpful. If not that, let me know what it's near (Dark Fissure? etc). Thanks.

Vieo

OK, I need some help with the Arena quest.

So, in the middle of the arena quest, I did the sidequest where the grand champ has you go to crowhaven with a key to find out stuff about his past. I go there, come back, talked to him and completed the quest. I went on with the Arena quest. Fast forward. Now it's time to fight the grand champ but he refuses to attack me. So I lay the smack down on him, it says "your killing has not gone unnoticed", go to bed and the dark brotherhood shows up. I totally attacked that dude and his invisble turning ass. After I killed him it said something about "now your only link to the dark brotherhood has been severed forever."

Anyway, the question is, how do I get him to fight me so it's not murder?

If anyone needs a good way to power-level Armorer, then here's what I did to get it to level 50 (for repairing enchanted armor):

Make a disintegrate armor spell that affects yourself. Then just destroy your armor and repair. Rinse and repeat. :D

Suikoguy

Pellham said:
So can I join the DB if I kill a guard? I don't wanna kill a named NPC...

Yes, that works. But you get a bounty.

datamage

Anyone beside me totally clear them out of goods (since apparently, most everything there is free for the taking to members) and make THOUSANDS selling it back to them (or other) stores?

It's people like you that give our guild brethren a bad name. :D

Suikoguy

Pellham said:
I'd get a bounty if I killed an innocent NPC as well. Unless it works if I somehow get an aggro npc (like the pirates) dead?

You don't get a bounty if you kill them in their sleep with one hit.

And wow at the texture replacement, that all the 360 version needed too.

Top Bottom