• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Speevy

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Super nice.

Steve... Vark... any way this could be made into downloadable content for the 360?

Was that officially-created? If not, I can almost guarantee the answer is no. Also, several users have tried to ask them questions about downloads. The answer is that they can't answer you right now.

Ok I need some help before I lose my mind. I've been working on a couple shrine quests after finding the necessary offerings and I'm stuck on Sanguine's. I can't figure out at all how to get into the dining room. The bitch never leaves it, so I can't beg for an invite, and I've explored every nook and cranny fifty times looking for a secret passage.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Son of Godzilla said:
Ok I need some help before I lose my mind. I've been working on a couple shrine quests after finding the necessary offerings and I'm stuck on Sanguine's. I can't figure out at all how to get into the dining room. The bitch never leaves it, so I can't beg for an invite, and I've explored every nook and cranny fifty times looking for a secret passage.
I showed up and the guard claimed that, while I didn't have an invitation, I'm cleary dressed for the party. And I'd have to be a dumbass to dress up if I wasn't supposed to attend the party, so he let me in.

I think it was because I don't wear armor. Try taking off all your armor and wearing some robes or something and talking to the guard.

edit: and if you find yourself going nuts *after* you get in and cast the spell:
yes, you are *supposed* to lose all your stuff. When you get back to the shrine it will be waiting for you in a chest. That drove me nuts for like an hour trying to set up the perfect shot of the spell so that I wouldn't be included and lose all my shit.

Funniest spell ever.

Make a level 25 frenzy spell with a area effect of 10. Then, go to the bar at night in the market area of the Imperial City. Zap everyone in the room and a massive bar fight will ensue. Then, drive them out into the streets and watch as the guards join in the rumble. The streets are littered with corpses right now. :lol

Only thing that sucks is that I'm level 35 now, so the spell won't affect guards. =(

LakeEarth

Mejilan said:
Finally hit level 4! Chorral is my base of operations. I've joined the Mage and Fighters Guilds there. Anyone beside me totally clear them out of goods (since apparently, most everything there is free for the taking to members) and make THOUSANDS selling it back to them (or other) stores?
Its hilarious, one time I took a novice glassthing right off the counter and sold it back to the guild. I'm just imagining doing that in real life, going to a store, picking up a magazine off the counter and having them give me $5 for it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Found partial solution to my problems - onboard soundcard. Voila, sound acceleration on 3/4, no more stuttering while riding on my horse. Also, framerate is around 25 even in dense forests. Level 9 right now, currently in Bruma.

slayn said:
I showed up and the guard claimed that, while I didn't have an invitation, I'm cleary dressed for the party. And I'd have to be a dumbass to dress up if I wasn't supposed to attend the party, so he let me in.

I think it was because I don't wear armor. Try taking off all your armor and wearing some robes or something and talking to the guard.

edit: and if you find yourself going nuts *after* you get in and cast the spell:
yes, you are *supposed* to lose all your stuff. When you get back to the shrine it will be waiting for you in a chest. That drove me nuts for like an hour trying to set up the perfect shot of the spell so that I wouldn't be included and lose all my shit.

That's so dumb, I had my dress on from
DB
and he wouldn't say shit. Had to go steal one.

So I decided to do the
pale pass
quest for the
necklace
and jack. Well I get the
necklace
and all and I'm making my through the now-
abandoned fort
thinking that all is dandy and nothing will get me now.
Well I turn a corner and get clowned by a rock fall.
Nice. Real nice. Forgot to quick save often too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
LakeEarth said:
Its hilarious, one time I took a novice glassthing right off the counter and sold it back to the guild. I'm just imagining doing that in real life, going to a store, picking up a magazine off the counter and having them give me $5 for it.

"one time"? "a novice glassthing"?

I took ALL of their novice glassthings. Every fucking thing that had a value higher than 0. Yes, including EVERY single book. I think there were like 200 in the Mages Guild.

Got a nice Silver Shortsword from the Fighter's Guild too. The head office, no less! :D

Protip: Not all displays are locked. :D

LakeEarth

I had a weird question, I've got a reccomendation from all the headmasters of the Mages Guild, but nothing has happened. They keep pointing to the same headmaster even though I got my recommendation from him (the Finger book one). Another arrow points me to a direction, but on the big map the direction doesn't LEAD anywhere. I don't know where its pointing or why. Anyone can help me on this?

Also, is there any advantage of giving the book to Eurea or whatever her name is?

Mejilan

DrM said:
EviLore, thanks for this texture replacment 'mod'. No performance hit. And it looks awesome.

Just so I understand it, I dumped the new textures into a brand new folder under Data that wasn't there before, yet the game will know to look there for new textures? Unless I'm reading the readme incorrectly...?

firex

I found a weirdass side dungeon near Bravil. It's called Veyond Cave.

What's weird about it for me is, I entered at level 23... and the first thing I faced was a mud crab. After that, every enemy I've faced has been naked argonians (aside from like 3 that wore clothes). And since I'm level 23, the drops are absurd. I got a damn nice Ring of Thieves, and like 3 enchanted daggers, and an enchanted glass cuirass.

thorns

Banned
LakeEarth said:
I had a weird question, I've got a reccomendation from all the headmasters of the Mages Guild, but nothing has happened. They keep pointing to the same headmaster even though I got my recommendation from him. Another arrow points me to a direction, but on the big map the direction doesn't LEAD anywhere. I don't know where its pointing or why. Anyone can help me on this?

If you go to the active quest and click A it will take you to the map and show where the arrow leads. Otherwise if the arrow is green it means you're in the same "zone" with the marker (i.e. you don't have to pass through any doors). Hope that helps.. I haven't done the mages guild things (I'm a warrior) though..

LakeEarth

thorns said:
If you go to the active quest and click A it will take you to the map and show where the arrow leads. Otherwise if the arrow is green it means you're in the same "zone" with the marker (i.e. you don't have to pass through any doors). Hope that helps.. I haven't done the mages guild things (I'm a warrior) though..
That's what I mean. On my 'radar' thing at the bottom, there's an arrow pointing me off in a direction, but when I check the big map, there is no red arrow in that direction. Its pointing me to nowhere!

Also, I stole the Fingers book back from the headmaster, but then realized the Eurewhatever girl was gone. So I went to put it back, but it won't let me cause its a key quest item. But the headmaster still tells me how its "locked somewhere safe", somewhere safe being in the unlocked chest in his room with the door swung right open. Oh god :lol

EDIT - I had to have missed something. But what?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the compass and its quest indicators can get wonky. sometimes they fix themselves if you walk around or open and shut the menu.

Mejilan

LakeEarth said:
That's what I mean. On my 'radar' thing at the bottom, there's an arrow pointing me off in a direction, but when I check the big map, there is no red arrow in that direction. Its pointing me to nowhere!

Also, I stole the Fingers book back from the headmaster, but then realized the Eurewhatever girl was gone. So I went to put it back, but it won't let me cause its a key quest item. But the headmaster still tells me how its "locked somewhere safe", somewhere safe being in the unlocked chest in his room with the door swung right open. Oh god :lol

EDIT - I had to have missed something. But what?

Have you activated that Fingers of the Mountain II quest? She should still be in town. Either hanging around outside the Mage's Guild or inside the Grey Mare pub. I opted out of stealing the book back for her and ended Part II that way. Then, AFTERWARDS, I stole the book back, but since both quests were over, it was essentially a dead key item. Funny.

LakeEarth

Mejilan said:
Have you activated that Fingers of the Mountain II quest? She should still be in town. Either hanging around outside the Mage's Guild or inside the Grey Mare pub. I opted out of stealing the book back for her and ended Part II that way. Then, AFTERWARDS, I stole the book back, but since both quests were over, it was essentially a dead key item. Funny.
I gave it to the guildmaster right away. Maybe I should try giving it to the woman first, then getting it back, and seeing if that gets me somewhere.

Mejilan

LakeEarth said:
I gave it to the guildmaster right away. Maybe I should try giving it to the woman first, then getting it back, and seeing if that gets me somewhere.

I gave it to the guildmaster right away as well. Afterwards, go and talk to that woman again, and she'll scream out you for a bit, then tell you to go and steal it back for her, activating the Part II version of that quest. At which point you can give it to her or simply refuse to do it for her (which is what I did).

LakeEarth

Mejilan said:
I gave it to the guildmaster right away as well. Afterwards, go and talk to that woman again, and she'll scream out you for a bit, then tell you to go and steal it back for her, activating the Part II version of that quest. At which point you can give it to her or simply refuse to do it for her (which is what I did).
Ahh maybe that's what happened, I gave it back to him, and then I lost where she was at and there was no arrow pointing her out, maybe expalining the wayward arrow. I'll try it out now.

Alright so no more poitning at that guildmaster, but the magic pointing arrow still exists...hmmm...

Mejilan

No no. When you gave the guildmaster the book, you completed the quest (at which point, you had no "active" quest, and shouldn't have an arrow pointing where to go.) If you then track down Eanora, or whatever she's called, she'll give you a NEW quest, which you can either do, or not, logging it as "completed" either way. So, if you proceed, you should have two quests with the same name (only the 2nd will have a "II" after the name).

Anyone else think that mountain lions are evil creatures? I'm level 12 and these are the most overpowered creatures I've ever encountered. I have mithril and chainmail armor and they kill me in 3 hits.. so I have to run from them, and I don't always get away.. I'm thinking of making a mod to get rid of mountain lions from areas aside from Bruma :lol

LakeEarth

Mejilan said:
No no. When you gave the guildmaster the book, you completed the quest (at which point, you had no "active" quest, and shouldn't have an arrow pointing where to go.) If you then track down Eanora, or whatever she's called, she'll give you a NEW quest, which you can either do, or not, logging it as "completed" either way. So, if you proceed, you should have two quests with the same name (only the 2nd will have a "II" after the name).
Yeah I realize what you meant. But when I only finished Finger of the Mountain 1, there was still an arrow pointing to the guildmaster even when everything was completed. Doing 2 got rid of that arrow.

OH SHIT, I found the magical pointing arrow but it wasn't magic at all. I missed Leyawiin this whole damn time! Didn't know it was there :lol Silly me.

Mejilan

LakeEarth said:
OH SHIT, I found the magical pointing arrow but it wasn't magic at all. I missed Leyawiin this whole damn time! Didn't know it was there :lol Silly me.

What do you mean?

So I'm guessing there's absolutely no way into the Imperial Orrey door in the Arcane University lobby? That must be the only door in the game that cannot be opened.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If the fix is really close to 0% performance hit, I hope they find a way to bring it or something similar to Xbox 360's Oblivion.

rod

Banned
does selling more expensive shit make it go up more or is it based on items sold

also mejilan, u ever on ur 360 anymore man? i always see u on but ur never playin anythin:lol

Mejilan

rod said:
does selling more expensive shit make it go up more or is it based on items sold

also mejilan, u ever on ur 360 anymore man? i always see u on but ur never playin anythin:lol

Price MAY be a factor in raising Mercantile, but quantity SURELY is. I promise you.

My 360 has turned out to be nothing more than a very expensive, underwhelming DVD player. If you see me online and in the Dashboard, it's because I'm watching a movie. At least, it does that a little better than my PS2 used to. I bough the PC version of Oblivion.

rod

Banned
hmm..well whats a good merchantile skill to have for selling stolen items
in the theives guild quest

GreekWolf

Mejilan said:
My 360 has turned out to be nothing more than a very expensive, underwhelming DVD player.
Wow. So you're disappointed in all of the games?

I'll admit that I was pretty let-down with the initial launch games, but GRAW and Oblivion have more than validated the purchase of the system, IMO.

Waku

Khalid-S said:
Guys how can i buy a house in Imperial City ? i will ask who ?

In the Market District, talk with the Lady in the Imperial Commerc Bureau or whatever it is called. 2000 G for a Shack at the Waterfront. You can buy furniture for it at the Three Brothers Shop also in the Market District.

GreekWolf said:
Wow. So you're disappointed in all of the games?

I'll admit that I was pretty let-down with the initial launch games, but GRAW and Oblivion have more than validated the purchase of the system, IMO.

TWO games warrents busting a crap load of cash on a system? I don't think so, just wait for the first price drop when there'll be more than TWO good games.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
TemplaerDude said:
TWO games warrents busting a crap load of cash on a system? I don't think so, just wait for the first price drop when there'll be more than TWO good games.

And by that logic you'll save maybe 100 bucks?

So, yes, the extra hundred bucks for an extra year of games to enjoy (I hae/love 4 so far), is well worth it.

raYne

Vieo said:
OK, I need some help with the Arena quest.

So, in the middle of the arena quest, I did the sidequest where the grand champ has you go to crowhaven with a key to find out stuff about his past. I go there, come back, talked to him and completed the quest. I went on with the Arena quest. Fast forward. Now it's time to fight the grand champ but he refuses to attack me. So I lay the smack down on him, it says "your killing has not gone unnoticed", go to bed and the dark brotherhood shows up. I totally attacked that dude and his invisble turning ass. After I killed him it said something about "now your only link to the dark brotherhood has been severed forever."

Anyway, the question is, how do I get him to fight me so it's not murder?
The only way around that (other than not completing the arena) was not to do the
Grey Prince
quest in the first place.

That looks so much better with the new textures. No performance hit at all? Why the hell couldn't they have just put textures like that in the retail game?

Zaptruder

Banned
I borrowed my friend's copy in anticipation of my X360 and oblivion arriving in 1-3 weeks...

and it doesn't run too well on my comp, fair enough given that it's a Athlon xp 2000 running a 9800 pro... two venerable pieces of hardware that have served me well in the past but have started to age mightily in the face of games like Oblivion...

but I don't think that's the reason behind all the characters been so fugly.

Oh god why is it so hard to make decent looking characters in Oblivion? Fugly to no end! And why is there even a beard slider for women? GUh! :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fuma said:
who sells the "average lock pick" spell? I cant find it anywhere. Please help.

Doesn't whats-his-name have it in Bruma? Or is that easy? The guy Volvaro or whatever.

Top Bottom