• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Sysgen

TemplaerDude said:
TWO games warrents busting a crap load of cash on a system? I don't think so, just wait for the first price drop when there'll be more than TWO good games.

Where does this post belong in a thread like this? Maybe if you qualified it with games that you like. I've bought 4 games since I got the system in Feb and every game has been triple AAA to me.

raYne

TemplaerDude said:
TWO games warrents busting a crap load of cash on a system? I don't think so, just wait for the first price drop when there'll be more than TWO good games.
:lol Way to turn this into the "Official Bitch About Nothing to Do With Oblivion" thread.

...and on that note, since there are apparently only 2 good games on the system you don't own *cough* you better not be anywhere near Rev/PS3 launches.

Fuma

Banned
I made the mistake of buying a house early in the game. I am now able to access the arcane university and enchant weapons. I dont have much money 8( Any tips on some quick cash? Any glitches out there that I could use to help get the enchanted weapon that I want?

Sysgen

So what's the definitive answer on Mercantile?

Example: I have 50 arrows.

Do I adjust the haggle once then sell 1 arrow at a time?
Do I adjust the haggle for each arrow that I sell?
Do I adjust the haggle and then sell all the arrows at once?

Sysgen

Fuma said:
I made the mistake of buying a house early in the game. I am now able to access the arcane university and enchant weapons. I dont have much money 8( Any tips on some quick cash? Any glitches out there that I could use to help get the enchanted weapon that I want?

Arena for one. When you level up will have cash because all the enemies have super expensive items. I had a real problem with gold early in the game also. I couldn't even buy decent health potions and to play the wait for the mana bar to increase game until I could cast the shitty minor heal spell.

LakeEarth

Mejilan said:
What do you mean?
I mean I didn't even see that city, like ever, looking at the map. So it was pointing me to the last Mage Guild recommendation mission, but I never knew that town was even there and thought it was pointing to nothing.

Can someone explain to me how to get +5 when I level up? I really really need to have more and faster recharging Magika right now, but whenever I level up Intellegence and Willpower are only +2 or +3 maximum.

LakeEarth said:
I mean I didn't even see that city, like ever, looking at the map. So it was pointing me to the last Mage Guild recommendation mission, but I never knew that town was even there and thought it was pointing to nothing.

Can someone explain to me how to get +5 when I level up? I really really need to have more and faster recharging Magika right now, but whenever I level up Intellegence and Willpower are only +2 or +3 maximum.

You have to level up the skills under those attributes ten times for the +5 bonus.

Good leveling tip for patient mages. Get a conjuration spell and just keep casting it. When you're running around or just stand still and do it. You'll be at 100 in no time, and you'll keep gettting +5 for intelligence everytime you level up. It's so easy you'll almost feel like you're cheating. (shield spells are good for getting willpower up there too)

Sysgen

neuroticphil said:
Good leveling tip for patient mages. Get a conjuration spell and just keep casting it. When you're running around or just stand still and do it. You'll be at 100 in no time, and you'll keep gettting +5 for intelligence everytime you level up. It's so easy you'll almost feel like you're cheating. (shield spells are good for getting willpower up there too)

Here's the post on leveling.

http://ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=3034345&postcount=4260

..are you really cheating becuase the way the game scales, yea your conjuration ability will be uber but the rest of your skills are weaksauce.

LakeEarth

Confidence Man said:
You have to level up the skills under those attributes ten times for the +5 bonus.
Ahh okay, makes sense. I've been spreading out my leveling up, but I think I should stick to the magic/strength ones.

I hate my conjuration, cause I was at level 20 and yet all conjuration spells needs 25 level and I could never find the damn trainer. But its coming, oh yes.

Waku

Haven't seen it posted around here but i stumbled across this absolutly great Interface Mod

http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/BTmod

BT Mod changes the Font to just the right size between Readability and how much space it takes up, makes the Inventory and Quest Log sooooooo much more handable, it streches the Map to nearly Fullscreen and you can optionaly disable Quest markers if you want to find your way around yourself.

Improved_UI_%26_No_Quest_Markers_-_Screenshot_3.jpg

Improved_UI_%26_No_Quest_Markers_-_Screenshot_2.jpg

Improved_UI_%26_No_Quest_Markers_-_Screenshot_4.jpg

In my Opinion an absolut must for Pc Version players. Like few said befor with the Lod Texture Pak, this is something Bethesda could havbe easily implemented for the PC version. So little changes and they make the Game that much more enjoyable. Huuuzah for the Mod Community.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wish I could load the texture addon and font changer on the 360 version :(
My PC can run oblivion ok, but I prefer using the controller

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GreekWolf said:
Wow. So you're disappointed in all of the games?

I'll admit that I was pretty let-down with the initial launch games, but GRAW and Oblivion have more than validated the purchase of the system, IMO.

This will be my last response on the subject of the Xbox, since I don't want to derail this awesome thread.

I only own Perfect Dark Zero (which is all kinds of awful) and Kameo (somewhat better, but still pretty shit). I have a couple of XBLA games as well which proved to be short amusements. Nothing else in the library interests me. And the few Xbox 1 games I wound up picking up either don't work or work poorly. Blech.

I'm sure my purchase of the system will eventually be justified. I love XBL Gold, I absolutely love the Achievements. But I think the games are utter ass. Oh, I'm sure I'd love Oblivion on the 360, but happen to feel that the PC CE is a cheaper AND better value. Runs great on my PC, I've always controlled the TES games via mouse and KB and couldn't imagine any other way, and wouldn't dream of paying more for less (no mods? fuck that.)

For the first year, I felt that my PSP purchase was completely unjustified as well. That's only just recently started to turn around. They'll get there eventually, in my eyes. :D

jedimike

firex said:
Just go to the mages' guild in Cheydinhal. You can get every open lock spell up to hard.

I was just about to ask the same question... Luck +20 for 30 seconds on self (Neeeerrrrd)

The only thing keeping me out of Arcane University is an Average lock... grrr.

Pimpbaa

Suikoguy said:
I wish I could load the texture addon and font changer on the 360 version :(
My PC can run oblivion ok, but I prefer using the controller

You can use a controller in the PC version, even the 360 controller.

jedimike

Mejilan said:
I'm sure my purchase of the system will eventually be justified. I love XBL Gold, I absolutely love the Achievements. But I think the games are utter ass. Oh, I'm sure I'd love Oblivion on the 360, but happen to feel that the PC CE is a cheaper AND better value. Runs great on my PC, I've always controlled the TES games via mouse and KB and couldn't imagine any other way, and wouldn't dream of paying more for less (no mods? fuck that.)

That's true of every system... the games wil come and we each have our own tastes. For me, Oblivion is one of the most perfect games I have played. It would run on my PC, but I prefer playing it on 360.

The XBLA games have been more than a mere distractment for me... before Oblivion came along, my ratio of game time between XBLA and retail games was about 70/30. Post Oblivion, it's been Oblivion 99, others 1. I played some GeoWars yesterday just to qualify for the contest.

I also love FPS's, so PD0, GRAW and COD2 were great purchases for me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Robobandit said:
For those of you who have to run in terror from mountain lions, I've created a quick and dirty mod that cuts their attack power in half.

The ones in the Arena are still full strength(since there are rewards associated with advancement in the arena), but the ones wandering the plains (I mean.. come on.. the plains..) are now only slightly more powerful than Timber Wolves.

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VFAH7Y8T4UUC2NFQ5M9ULM9OC

Mountain lions are a piece of cake if you have Summon Daedroth. "Mr Stompy" will take out a mountain lion in 2 or 3 swipes :)

SteveMeister said:
Mountain lions are a piece of cake if you have Summon Daedroth. "Mr Stompy" will take out a mountain lion in 2 or 3 swipes :)

sadly, for those of us who are agent class with only light armor and low health, mountain lions are a menace :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
jedimike said:
That's true of every system... the games wil come and we each have our own tastes. For me, Oblivion is one of the most perfect games I have played. It would run on my PC, but I prefer playing it on 360.

The XBLA games have been more than a mere distractment for me... before Oblivion came along, my ratio of game time between XBLA and retail games was about 70/30. Post Oblivion, it's been Oblivion 99, others 1. I played some GeoWars yesterday just to qualify for the contest.

I also love FPS's, so PD0, GRAW and COD2 were great purchases for me.

It's a given that this is true of all systems, which is why you don't have me here ranting and raving and spitting with fury in every freakin' topic! I was merely responding to the question posed, not bashing the 360. I honestly expected to hate the system and love the games. I'm actually rather pleases that the exact opposite has happened, as the games truly worth loving (for me), will come, and then I'll love it all. I'm a patient guy.

I have CoD2 on the PC already. Once again, I prefer that version. As I said... it'll happen. It just hasn't yet, for me. :D

hellfire

Robobandit said:
For those of you who have to run in terror from mountain lions, I've created a quick and dirty mod that cuts their attack power in half.

The ones in the Arena are still full strength(since there are rewards associated with advancement in the arena), but the ones wandering the plains (I mean.. come on.. the plains..) are now only slightly more powerful than Timber Wolves.

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VFAH7Y8T4UUC2NFQ5M9ULM9OC

weaksauce mods like this are one reason i stuck with the 360 version...yes there was a time when i ran in abject terror from mountain lions, and i'd have been tempted to use this mod...but i stuck it out and found better ways to improve my character and his equipment, and at level 22, nothing comes close to killing me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wow, getting to Expert level in blunt or blade is really worth the effort, you get the knockdown powermove that floors any enemy for 5(ish) seconds, its saved my ass many times already.

Xdrive05

hellfire said:
weaksauce mods like this are one reason i stuck with the 360 version...yes there was a time when i ran in abject terror from mountain lions, and i'd have been tempted to use this mod...but i stuck it out and found better ways to improve my character and his equipment, and at level 22, nothing comes close to killing me.

Oh give me a break. You bought the 360 version because you were afraid of OPTIONAL "weaksauce" mods that can make the PC game easier if tempted? That's like saying you bought a Toyota Camry instead of a Honda Accord because the Honda is easier to modify (hypothetical), and you're too hardcore to be tempted to modify. You could just use willpower you know, and avoid downloading a mod. :p

Back on topic. Are there any sales numbers released yet for Oblivion?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
and for every mod that makes the game easier, there are also ones like the combat modification mod that I use that attempts to make the harder enemies more intelligent in battle so that they dodge more and use their more powerful attacks more often and won't run away, etc.

it makes changes like so:
MOUNTAIN LION
-More Recoil/Stagger Bonus to Attack (10)
-Rushes more often (65%)

exactly, no one is forcing you to install a mod you don't want to. My level 13 character has about 90 health, because of my skill set I don't have high endurance, so when a creature that runs faster than me and can pounce a considerable distance does 32 damage each swipe despite my wearing mithril armor, it isn't fun being owned by a freaking mountain lion when no other monster gives me that much trouble.

LakeEarth

Man, did I feel the "level bump". I mentioned earlier that I jumped from level 2 to level 11 cause I didn't realize I leveled up to 3, well I finally went into an area that jumped up. Being attacked by a guy with Mithril armor and an elfin sword while I defend myself with a wood shield and a iron sword, attacking with a fire spell that did 6 points damage each time sure was an adventure :lol

Xdrive05

LakeEarth said:
Man, did I feel the "level bump". I mentioned earlier that I jumped from level 2 to level 11 cause I didn't realize I leveled up to 3, well I finally went into an area that jumped up. Being attacked by a guy with Mithril armor and an elfin sword while I defend myself with a wood shield and a iron sword, attacking with a fire spell that did 6 points damage each time sure was an adventure :lol

:lol definitely.

I had a couple run-ins like that earlier in the game where all I could do is run in circles and slowly heal myself. But you know, you'll never have a more satisfying kill once it's all done and over with. It feels great to murderize something with way more power and better equipment than you have.

TheDuce22

Banned
Anyone got a rundown on what each summon is good for? For instance I cant find a use for the spiderwoman and the faded wraith seems to be totally overpowered.

Waku

:lol Omg.

I just did the
Quest to find the missing Painter. Jezzuz, the Art Style inside the Painting looked absolutly fantastic. Everything was textured like an Oil Painting and the Sky looked awsome.
:lol

Damn you Oblivion, why do you force me to love you more and more with each day.

ocelittle

Banned
So have we come to any conclusion on where to get Grand Soul Gems?
I stole three from the Arcane University area...

But I need 2 more, and I bought 2 of them, but she wouldn't accept them because they had souls in them...so I have three, but need two empty Grand Soul Gems...

Anyone know where to get them? I've checked almost all of the Mages Guilds, and they have Petty and other smaller ones.

Speevy

Banned
They're going to have to get some cool stuff for the 360 downloadable section. A multiplayer arena would be awesome.

LakeEarth

So what's great about a trainer again, other than not having to do the work? What you get trained in doesn't count for your level increasing?

And holy crap this thread. RE4 who?

Silly people, as far as "powerleveling" with mages... YOU DON'T make the skills you power your main ones. You make them minor ones.

This has a few nifty effects:

1) You get +5 int/wisdom bonuses every level up until they are maxed. Simply gain ten levels of int boosting skills then ten of wisdom boosting skills every level. Rinse and repeat.

2) You get access to very high level spells

3) Your level only goes up when you want it to.

4) Once your skills are at 100, even the top of the line spells aren't that expensive to cast

Good lines to "cheat" with: conjuration (the best), Alteration (also very good), and Mysticism. I would advise training Restoration and Alchemy (not sure on Restoratin, never bothered to get any "fortify spells" maybe I should try it... healing it slow as all hell). Destruction should probably honestly be your only "mage" major skills. You can of course create a spell that damages yourself and level this way, but this is a bit too much (and it is really slow too). Just let it level naturally and you'll never get ahead of yourself (it levels pretty fast anyway).

LakeEarth said:
So what's great about a trainer again, other than not having to do the work? What you get trained in doesn't count for your level increasing?

And holy crap this thread. RE4 who?

They can help you level really fast if you level a major skill five times. This isn't necessarily the best use though (until the end of the game when you're trying to max out and all you have left is slow leveling skills).

They are best use as stat manipulators. Level up minor skills to provide useful, large (but hard to obtain) stat boosts as you level. If you do this every level you're going to have insane all around stats when you're finally done.

I think I'm screwed..

The corrupt imperial watchman must still be flagged as a guard, because even when he attacks me and the guards kill him, they come after me. In short, all of the guards want to murder me and I only have a bounty of 40 :(

fat

How do I level up in the game? I've been playing for 7 hours, and still on level 1.

Also, if I use a lockpick on a random house in a town, if guards see me, will they care? What if I barge into that person's home after using a lockpick, will they try to fight me?

Chris_C

Is there a way to alter the game's graphical settings on a lower level than the few simple sliders present in the video dialog box? I'd like to alter the AA and perhaps tinker with the AF. but I can't find these settings.

jedimike

fat said:
How do I level up in the game? I've been playing for 7 hours, and still on level 1

sleep. join a guild for a free bed or stay at an inn.

Also, if I use a lockpick on a random house in a town, if guards see me, will they care? What if I barge into that person's home after using a lockpick, will they try to fight me?

yes.

not that I have experienced, but they seem upset and will follow you in their house.

Ghost said:
Wow, getting to Expert level in blunt or blade is really worth the effort, you get the knockdown powermove that floors any enemy for 5(ish) seconds, its saved my ass many times already.

For face to face battles, it is worth the effort. However, something I've discovered that other fighters might not realize.

A high sneek level is great to have if you do a lot of cave raiding. Sneeking around and getting a X6 damage multiplier when you shoot baddies with arrows is nice. Plus, if you're far away enough, they don't even see you and you can hit them again if the first attack doesn't kill them.

Very much worth it IMO.

You can only get a 3x bonus with a bow. The 6x bonus is with a melee attack. My warrior is nearing Master level in sneak now... and his Daedric Mace is rated at like 31 damage..... :). Oh, and master level nullifies enemey defense rating on the initial 6x damage....

raYne

fat said:
How do I level up in the game? I've been playing for 7 hours, and still on level 1.
All your skills are leveled depending on how much you use them:
Sword use= Blade
Jump around= Agility
Sneak= Sneak (duh)
Fireball magic= destruction
Getting hit= Heavy/Light armor depending on which you're wearing.
etc

You can also find npcs who can train you in various ways.

Since you've been playing for 7 hours it's a good bet you should've leveled up at least once. Either the notification should have popped up on the top of the screen (guessing you missed it) or a symbol pops up and stays on the right side of the compass. So find a bed and sleep in it.

If you go to your stats: (on 360) B button menu, L/R trigger scroll to the stat line bars on the left, and use the analog to scroll to the page with individual stats you'll see your current stats. If a bar fulls up on this page, you should've leveled up. Once again, find a bed to sleep in to initiate the actual leveling.

Also, if I use a lockpick on a random house in a town, if guards see me, will they care?
Yes. They'll come in and tell you you're breaking the law. You now have the option of going to jail, evading the law (ie fight) or paying a fine.

What if I barge into that person's home after using a lockpick, will they try to fight me?
If they see you, yes. They'll ask you to leave a few times, but after that.. It's on!

TheDuce22

Banned
Silly people, as far as "powerleveling" with mages... YOU DON'T make the skills you power your main ones. You make them minor ones.

This has a few nifty effects:

1) You get +5 int/wisdom bonuses every level up until they are maxed. Simply gain ten levels of int boosting skills then ten of wisdom boosting skills every level. Rinse and repeat.

2) You get access to very high level spells

3) Your level only goes up when you want it to.

4) Once your skills are at 100, even the top of the line spells aren't that expensive to cast

I thought about doing this but it would be pretty annoying having to go out of my way to level or fighting nothing but rats and goblins for 40 hours. Leveling natrually is more fun.

Top Bottom