• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

I hope Ferrari can continue to bring the fight, I was so bummed after the season opener, I needed a race like this to get excited for the season again. Would love to see Kimi back on the podium, but I'll take Vettel as it means Ferrari back on the top step, fuck yeah!

I don't think it was as clear cut as some make it that HAM would have been able to win on mediums. He just as easily could have burned through them and come up a few laps short and possibly have then lost second to ROS. All teams make bad calls here and there, the most interesting thing to me was how the first bit of pressure Merc gets in damn near a year and the team cracks. Lewis doesn't seem to do well when the team is stressing out around him, just winds him up even more. I'm theyll have it sorted next race and HAM will win with VET in 2nd. ROS doesn't have a snowballs chance in Malaysia of winning the title.

Addnan

They have pretty cool UI in MotoGP

rns5u7T.png

ramparter

Banned
he should just accept his inferiority and No. 2 status and stop pretending. should get some tips from massa and barrichello, that'll lessen the anger and turn into silent depression.
I think he should just stop caring about lewis and focus on himself. He has proven his ability and last year he got more poles I think. he can definitely give Lewis a tough challenge.

We really did it! The second coming of German Jesus. It's real!

We worked so hard for this, but now German Jesus has come to save us. We suffered for so long, but maybe that was all part of his plan.

And just imagine, if this year turns out good, just imagine how good next year is gonna be!!!!

John_B

Personally it was a bit difficult to appreciate all the silverware that went into Vettel's pockets. A significant part of his wins were unchallenged and it was not through lack of quality drivers on the grid.

Still I reckon he has a massive talent and is worthy of much success. I could easily appreciate his win today and I think his stint with Ferrari will earn him more respect from those that don't think too highly of him.

Malaysian GP has been renewed for 3 years. Most likely won't be a night race then (some reports saying they were considering making it a night race).

RoKKeR

IndyCar opener has been painfully boring to watch so far, worse than Australia two weeks ago. The new Aero kits have been flying around constantly and the race is yellow flagged almost every time something falls off of these cars and is on the track.

Megasoum

Banned
Rosberg looks a defeated man already.

I learned this morning that apparently his wife is having serious issues with her pregnancy right now so he might not be 100% focused on racing.

IndyCar opener has been painfully boring to watch so far, worse than Australia two weeks ago. The new Aero kits have been flying around constantly and the race is yellow flagged almost every time something falls off of these cars and is on the track.

God damn those cars are ugly. There's so much crap all over them... It's worse than the 2008 F1s! lol

Ark

Let's not forget Rosberg in Hungary last year. He had huge problems trying to get through traffic in that dominant Mercedes, and he suffered far more than Hamilton did in today's race. I wouldn't say he's defeated, because he was keeping pace with Hamilton in Australia (yeah sure Lewis could have been holding back, but w/e).

He definitely doesn't look as strong as he did last year and it'll be interesting to see, depending on whether Ferrari's pace transfers over to the cooler temperatures, if he can beat Vettel.

dubc35

I'm glad I kept my media blackout and watched the race. I was expecting VET to finish P2 but not win. Great pass at the end by BOT too!

Road

Vettel/Ferrari win was very surprising. Expected gaf outrage instead of celebration. =P

But still, I don't consider it a "clean" win over Mercedes (safety car etc.). Let's see how it goes in China.

One thing seems more clear though, Ferrari appears one step ahead of Williams, if only because their pit crew doesn't make as many mistakes...

tomtom94

Let's not forget Rosberg in Hungary last year. He had huge problems trying to get through traffic in that dominant Mercedes, and he suffered far more than Hamilton did in today's race. I wouldn't say he's defeated, because he was keeping pace with Hamilton in Australia (yeah sure Lewis could have been holding back, but w/e).

He definitely doesn't look as strong as he did last year and it'll be interesting to see, depending on whether Ferrari's pace transfers over to the cooler temperatures, if he can beat Vettel.

I think it's a combination of factors all stemming from Hamilton taking the WDC last year, like when Vettel went from impressive to completely dominant compared to Webber over the 2010 winter break. The psychological blow combined with the fact Hamilton will have greater input into the design strategy have both probably severely affected Rosberg.

I hope he bounces back because he impressed me last season and it would be a shame to lose that again.

RayStorm

I am very surprised at how little talk there is in this thread about how close the pace of the Ferrari appears to that of the Mercedes, sure, one pit stop more, sub optima lstrategy etc. but still, for as how the Mercedes looked in Australia and even during testing, and how far off Ferrari was, this has to be seen as quite surprising.

I am very surprised at how little talk there is in this thread about how close the pace of the Ferrari appears to that of the Mercedes, sure, one pit stop more, sub optima lstrategy etc. but still, for as how the Mercedes looked in Australia and even during testing, and how far off Ferrari was, this has to be seen as quite surprising.

#TheVettelFactor

Mohonky

Just got done watching the race;

Ferrari - Ferrari definitely have pace this year, its the best Ferrari I can remember for a long time, ironically better than any Alonso drove. Even Kimi, started 11th, went back to last, back to 4th. Ferrari going to be fast. Still not convinced they have Merc pace.

Mercedes - just completely fucked themselves to be honest. They had to do a whole pitstop more than Ferrari and the Mercs were back to eating their tires. They couldnt make the tires work even as long as the Ferrari's so they never really had a hope of competing except to try and blast the shit out of them and do the extra stop. Merc resigned themselves to second with that safety car stop, coming in was the wrong decision.

Williams - still trudging along well.

Force India - did they turn up in F1 cars today or bulldozers?

Mclaren - Highlight of the calls was Button on the radio getting excited that the cars in front weren't pulling away and they were catching up. I've never heard a team so excited or surprised they were catching up on other teams, especially at the back end of the grid. 2 retirements again.

Toro Rosso - two young drivers with big balls who seem they can drive, Horner must be spewing.

Redbull - yeh the Renault engine is shit, but the problems clearly run deeper and into the chasis. Its like Redbull and Ferrari switched; Ferrari coming out with the better car and moving forward, Redbull seemingly their first dog of a car in a long time.

Sauber - teach your drivers to brake before the corner. I have never seen a team with both drivers run wide from out braking themselves so often.

Manor - the little car that could. It's not fast, but it drags itself around like a happy little 2 legged dog that doesn't know any better.

Lotus - Maldonado didn't finish. He had another accident, it wasn't his fault, but still, chalk up another one anyway. Grosjean was on the track somewhere apparently.

Yagami_Sama

I am not a Vettel fan, neither Ferrari's, but this is race was pretty good. I hope that Ferrari keep up the good work and let Raikkonen win one race.
Hamilton arguing with his team via radio was quite funny.

Maclaren looked better than the first race, but still pretty sad to see them in a situation like this. But hope they will improve during the season.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I am not a Vettel fan, neither Ferrari's, but this is race was pretty good. I hope that Ferrari keep up the good work and let Raikkonen win on race.

Maclaren looked better than the first race, but still pretty sad to see them in a situation like this. But hope they will improve during the season.

not really a Vettel fan,but i dont mind him making the season more interesting

Fox Mulder

Was disappointed in that, got good use of the wiiu though.

I am not a Vettel fan, neither Ferrari's, but this is race was pretty good. I hope that Ferrari keep up the good work and let Raikkonen win on race.

I don't think Ferrari will intervene any time soon. Nor Kimi will allow it

However, if Kimi keeps being unlucky like he has been so far, Ferrari won't have a choice but to throw their weight behind Vettel. But from testing I think Kimi is faster than Vettel, when it comes to delivery though, he's not delivering whatever the reason was

Ark

We don't know how much of that is genuine. Mercedes have always struggled in the hitter climates like Malaysia, and apparently they have a major upgrade package coming in China. It's extremely unlikely that Ferrari have gained several seconds in the space of two weeks.

Mastah

So surreal how everybody suddenly likes Vettel.

I still dislike him and his squeaking over radio reminded me why. I cringed every time Hamilton was using his "that's what I'm talking about, THAT'S what I'm talking about", thankfully he dropped it, but Vettel's clatter is just unbearable.

Very good drive by The Finger, but he was pretty great in Malaysia last year too. Let's see how he fares in China, where both him and Kimi were destroyed in 2014 by their team mates.

Hammer24

Banned
Small tidbit regarding BOT back problems in Australia - sorry if it has been covered already.
The team made a mistake on the adjustment of his pedals, those were too far away for him. So to reach them properly he had to crouch down in the seat, which exposed his lower back going over the curbs and bumps.
They rectified that, so it shouldn´t happen again.

itsgreen

Women need to be faster if they want to be in F1...

The moment a woman than one of the non 'paydriver' male drivers she'll have a seat...

Juicy Bob

Which is why having someone like Susie Wolff out there is a good thing. Greater visibility of women in F1 is going to allow more girls to think 'I can become a racing driver too' and we'll start to see more female racers coming along who are truly good enough to get a place on the grid no matter who they are.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Which is why having someone like Susie Wolff out there is a good thing. Greater visibility of women in F1 is going to allow more girls to think 'I can become a racing driver too' and we'll start to see more female racers coming along who are truly good enough to get a place on the grid no matter who they are.

Well, that Lotus development driver was nicely visible in Malaysia :p

Not all publicity is good publicity. Susie is not even close to good enough to be an F1 driver, for a decent team like Williams no less.

If she ever makes it on to the track she will not fare well and it'll hurt the cause of women drivers, just as Carmen Jorda's presence is right now.

We not only need a woman, but a woman who we can root for.

Maybe like Hamilton, disadvantaged background but he has the passion and talent and he has succeeded.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Exactly. True female talent can only develop with more girls entering the sport at a young age, which will only happen if they have a role model to look up to. Similar to what happened with Schumacher and motorsport in Germany.

It amazes me that he's still able to perpetuate this myth. Okay sure he wasn't raised in Monaco but surely he didn't have a disadvantaged background.

Care to elaborate?

Also, my point still applies. He's the first black F1 star and as such has whatever positive role model effect for ethnic minority kids that Susie Wolff is supposed to have for little girls.

It would be nice if you didn't ignore my point in favour of some minor detail.

Dilly

Banned
Wolff never did a bad job during her FP sessions, not GP material but neither are a lot of other male reserve drivers.

It amazes me that he's still able to perpetuate this myth. Okay sure he wasn't raised in Monaco but surely he didn't have a disadvantaged background.
He's not as disadvantaged as he likes to come off, but compared to the upbringings of Sutil and Rosberg, you can kind of see what's talking about.

Surprised by the weekends result, but pleasantly so. Looks like we might actual have some racing this season.

Hopefully we'll really start seeing the other teams getting closer together as the season goes on and give us some really close racing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
He's not as disadvantaged as he likes to come off, but compared to the upbringings of Sutil and Rosberg, you can kind of see what's talking about.

I fail to see any real disadvantage concerning his early racing career. His father had a good job and was apparently able to fund his sport. What does it matter if you grow up in Monaco or not. You can have much, much worse childhoods...

Wait, a child who was already in the Mclaren young drivers program by 13 is now, "disadvantaged?" Hahah, get the fuck out of here. Any family that has the disposable income to fund a karting career for their nine year old, especially when there are other children in the family, is not "disadvantaged" by any stretch of the imagination.

I had the biggest smile on my face the whole time during the end of the race/podium interview. It is great to see some competition to Mercedes and Vettel/Ferrari worked their asses off in the off season to bring it to them. Now Kimi needs a shot at them! Forza Ferrari!

I fail to see any real disadvantage concerning his early racing career. His father had a good job and was apparently able to fund his sport. What does it matter if you grow up in Monaco or not. You can have much, much worse childhoods...
I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment. It's not like he grew up living that New Jack City life.

Top Bottom