• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Here's a link to the full Team Principals conference from the Malaysian GP.
I'm posting this (late), because personally, I always prefer the full source with context regarding "controversial" opinions or reports, instead of just getting some snippets and quotes from the news sites. Maybe someone else is interested. Good stuff regarding the costs in the sport.

Attending are Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Renault, Force India, Lotus and Pirelli.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZWma3F5nw

Ark

Care to elaborate?

Also, my point still applies. He's the first black F1 star and as such has whatever positive role model effect for ethnic minority kids that Susie Wolff is supposed to have for little girls.

It would be nice if you didn't ignore my point in favour of some minor detail.

I wasn't ignoring your point or arguing against you, I was using it to make my own point.

I've been thinking about young British F1 drivers and they all come across as rich, upper class white boys. Which is fine, but I have no connection to that. Chilton was a perfect example and Palmer comes across similarly too. Hamilton though, despite having a wealthy childhood, comes across as far more genuine and personable than anyone else. Button does too, but Hamilton was the topic of conversation.

I wasn't ignoring your point or arguing against you, I was using it to make my own point.

I've been thinking about young British F1 drivers and they all come across as rich, upper class white boys. Which is fine, but I have no connection to that. Chilton was a perfect example and Palmer comes across similarly too. Hamilton though, despite having a wealthy childhood, comes across as far more genuine and personable than anyone else. Button does too, but Hamilton was the topic of conversation.
Didn't Hamilton's dad get his first kart from Button's dad? Now that I'm double checking probably not since I can't seem to find a mention of it. Must've been a story I heard or remember wrong.

John_B

Mark Hughes has a book about Lewis Hamilton. You get the whole Lewis/Anthony backstory and great insight into the crazy 2007 season.

It read to me like they were middle-class. Anthony (Lewis' father) had to hustle and take on additional jobs to make it (though his financial situation did improve later on). Not exactly a rags to riches story, but their path was not a simple one. Many other drivers have enjoyed a more simple path to top categories through their parents being super wealthy, being former F1 drivers or team owners.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mark Hughes has a book about Lewis Hamilton. You get the whole Lewis/Anthony backstory and great insight into the crazy 2007 season.

It read to me like they were middle-class. Anthony (Lewis' father) had to hustle and take on additional jobs to make it (though his financial situation did improve later on). Not exactly a rags to riches story, but their path was not a simple one. Many other drivers have enjoyed a more simple path to top categories through their parents being super wealthy, being former F1 drivers or team owners.

I think he was "disadvantaged" from an F1 perspective, but not from a real world perspective.

hadareud

The Translator

I'm surprised that he found the time to write a book while also managing the national team of Orcs.

I know that Damon Hill wasnt living the luxury lifestyle after his father passed, from what I understand the Hill family went through a period of financial struggle after Graham's death. Schumacher comes from a pretty modest background, his father was middle class and had to rely on sponsorship money.
also: Ron Dennis was going to drop Lewis from Mclaren but changed his mind after Lewis' performance in the GP2 British GP.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I know that Damon Hill wasnt living the luxury lifestyle after his father passed, from what I understand the Hill family went through a period of financial struggle after Graham's death. Schumacher comes from a pretty modest background, his father was middle class and had to rely on sponsorship money.

Same with Vettel and his family. His father is a carpenter, and apparently they restricted themselves financially and sold things to fund his early karting equipment until he found sponsoring. Hamilton's story is not really unique.

Shaneus

Webber's dad had to get money from a rugby-playing friend to get him into... something. I think Formula Ford? Not sure on Disco's upbringing, I know he was racing since he was a little tacker, so I'm assuming it was the (a)typical parents sacrificing quite a bit so their son can get into karts etc.

DD

Massa made his first contact with Formula 1 personal while delivering food at Interlagos. Those guys were at Benetton, and then they went to Ferrari with Schummy.

Motoko

Bhahahawawawa LOL

11008423_1041988579163349_4214091802734294738_n.jpg

Mastah

Ron Dennis was going to drop Lewis from Mclaren but changed his mind after Lewis' performance in the GP2 British GP.

That's not correct. They had their doubts after dissapointing 2004 season in Formula 3, but Hamilton rescued the deal with winning Bahrain Superprix.

Pimpwerx

Something I forgot from the race is that Kimi really got screwed hard by some jackass at Manor. The safety car was out forever, but the Manor driver in front of Kimi refused to catch the field. I'm not kidding you when I tell you he have up at least half the straight to the car in front. I'm not sure if that was caught on television, but I was absolutely livid along with Kimi fans. I'm not even a Kimi fan, but this is basic racing courtesy and common sense. After seeing that shit, I'm now 100% in favor of banning the team outright from the grid. They're off the pace, and have hired absolute idiots for drivers. Find out the name of the driver ahead of Kimi on that restart. He sabotaged Kimi in the most unprofessional manner possible. PEACE.

Something I forgot from the race is that Kimi really got screwed hard by some jackass at Manor. The safety car was out forever, but the Manor driver in front of Kimi refused to catch the field. I'm not kidding you when I tell you he have up at least half the straight to the car in front. I'm not sure if that was caught on television, but I was absolutely livid along with Kimi fans. I'm not even a Kimi fan, but this is basic racing courtesy and common sense. After seeing that shit, I'm now 100% in favor of banning the team outright from the grid. They're off the pace, and have hired absolute idiots for drivers. Find out the name of the driver ahead of Kimi on that restart. He sabotaged Kimi in the most unprofessional manner possible. PEACE.

Kimi was complaining about it on the radio. But even if he didn't hold him, kimi had his chassis damaged and it will be nearly impossible to catch rosberg I think

EDIT: and don't worry about Kimi fans. We're used to it :(

Aegus

Anyone that can afford to take part in motorsport from a young age is in no way disadvantaged. In terms of money.

When I did karting in the British Super 1 championships around the same time as Hamilton my Dad was looking at paying a minimum of £70k a year.

Brand new set of tyres or two every week (£240), engine retuned for every race (£500/£1k), pit support team (no idea, but probably a few hundred at least), scammy italian dude (£££), spare parts etc. It all adds up.

I once had my helmet break on me as I sat on the grid. My dad had to spend like £700 right there and then for a new helmet.

Basically it's expensive as fuck once you start adding it all.

Also on the topic of female drivers there was only 1 regular female driver around my age in Scotland. There's a lot to going against for any female to be a Formula 1 driver.

mclem

To be fair, it's a Manor. Are you quite sure it's capable of catching the safety car?

Baleoce

I had the biggest smile on my face the whole time during the end of the race/podium interview. It is great to see some competition to Mercedes and Vettel/Ferrari worked their asses off in the off season to bring it to them. Now Kimi needs a shot at them! Forza Ferrari!
Yeah I hope that Ferrari can improve on this package further. It'd be great to see some genuine competition in the constructors front this season. On a semi related note, Mclaren Honda having a mare so far. Not all their own fault mind.

DD

Glad I won't be the first to mention his Xenomorph like head, but I'm happy for Kimi.
Well, who am I to judge? 99% of the nicknames I had in my life were related to the massive size of my head, so I know well the kind of stuff this kid will have to deal in life. ;(

Well, who am I to judge? 99% of the nicknames I had in my life were related to the massive size of my head, so I know well the kind of stuff this kid will have to deal in life. ;(
That's rough, though I'm sure with Kimi's tutelage the kid will be popular and face plant off of yachts in Monaco with the best of them.

yami4ct

I'm thinking about taking a road trip either this year or next to go see the Canadian Grand Prix. It would be my first live race, so I just have a quick couple questions. Anyone here who's been? If so, what seats are the best location/price combination? Anything else I should know about to do or avoid?

I'm thinking about taking a road trip either this year or next to go see the Canadian Grand Prix. It would be my first live race, so I just have a quick couple questions. Anyone here who's been? If so, what seats are the best location/price combination? Anything else I should know about to do or avoid?

Pick a grand stand that you think you will enjoy the view from. The prices (other than the premium front straight seats) are all comparable. I always preferred sitting at the hair pin and see the massive deceleration. Others like sitting at one of the two chicanes or looking up through turns 1 and 2. I don't think you will dislike any grandstand, just be sure to invest in the weekend and go to all three days and enjoy as much racing as you can

Do's
-You can bring your own coolers. Fill that bad boy up and enjoy your own tasty canadian beer (cans only) instead of drinking over priced Budweiser sold at the track. Don't forget plenty of water, sunscreen and snacks. All but one of my Canadian GP's have been scorchers.
-Walk the track after the GP. Its a nice walk and the metro is going to be packed no matter what. Protip, save a beer or two for the walk.
-Try finding accommodations through craigslist, hotels are stupid expensive that weekend. If you do cough up the money for a hotel, be within walking distance of a metro stop. Berri-UQAM is the last stop before going in the tunnel over the track. If you are near that stop, you don't have to stay jammed in the trains very long.
-Go out around town on Saturday night. There are tents and stages set up everywhere. Worth walking through for at least a look. Never actually listened to any of the bands because they tend to be in french, but the city has a great party vibe.

Don't
-Don't just stay on St.Chathrine st. I believe that is where a lot of the big strip clubs and F1 festivities will be but there are plenty of other cool areas in Montreal that are worth checking out, especially for restaurants. The further you walk away from the downtown area, the more chill it will be. I am not very good with the neighborhood names, sorry.
-Don't do general admission. It is way cheaper but if you are going to take the time to travel to Montreal for a GP, you are going to have to get up crazy early and fight the crowds of other dedicated fans who go for any of the decent spectating spots in the GA areas. Some people might enjoy that thrill. For me, if I am driving 7 hours and spending the money on staying in the city, I want a seat guaranteed Fri-Sun.

Dilly

Banned
With the launch of that new McLaren roadcar, it made me wonder why they're still going for an engine supplier for their F1 team. Their engines for the roadcars are designed and build by McLaren themselves these days, no?

Shaneus

So I hear that Honda have resolved all their reliability issues and will be on point for at least a top 10 finish in Shanghai.

April Fool.

Top Bottom