• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
Carmen Jorda got her "testing job" because of her looks.

And that's wrong. People gave Red Bull shit for employing a talent like Max Verstappen because he was too young, but where is the shit storm for employing a driver with so little talent it makes Ricardo Rosset look like Ayrton Senna. Absolutely shameful.

And that's wrong. People gave Red Bull shit for employing a talent like Max Verstappen because he was too young, but where is the shit storm for employing a driver with so little talent it makes Ricardo Rosset look like Ayrton Senna. Absolutely shameful.
Should've been hired by Red Bull to test out the Pepe Jean jeans.

Zeknurn

I'm not too disgusted by grid girls to be honest. When there's stuff like female circumcision running around something like this isn't that bad to me. As long as they're not there for some drivers to live out their James Hunt fantasies with it's sort of harmless to me. Granted I'm pretty sure your reply will be a lot more philosophical, which I don't mind. Now if there were "grid guys" and they got paid more than the grid girls now that would be a huge problem.

I was scoping out a large post but realized that this isn't the place for it. So I'll just say that having the majority of one gender in F1 broadcasts be represented by people standing there to be nothing more than pretty objects is not good for young children watching the broadcast. Because it sets their expectations of the sport which leads to less women in F1 and karting in general. Which is why I think that even though Wolff and Jorda aren't great drivers, they at least presented and hopefully treated as equals to the male test/development drivers, and that goes a long way.

Think of it as this way, would losing grid girls hamper or diminish the sport in any way?

Mohonky

I'm kind of assuming Danica Patrick is the same in the US. Has she ever won anything? Everytime I see her race she crashes, yet she always comes up a lot in discussion too but I have never seen her win or do anything special and yet somehow she still seems to be floating about.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
He has switched from the way of the samurai to the way of the Buddha. And probably given up all hope in the process.

uG7QyxB.png

Little reminder: Today's the next Formula E race. This time in Long Beach.

VUlUaoN.jpg

"The Long Beach Formula E race, or ePrix, takes place on April 4 2015 and forms the sixth of nine races for the inaugural season. The track uses a modified configuration of the iconic Long Beach street circuit in South California, which is the longest running in the US, beginning in 1975 and hosting Formula One from 1976 to 1983 before staging annual CART, Champ Car and IndyCar races. At 2.1km and featuring seven turns, the Formula E cars will use the same iconic start/finish line adjacent to the Marina before heading off in a clockwise direction past the Rainbow Lagoon. They will then turn right onto South Pine Avenue before re-joining with the more familiar track configuration. The cars will then pass around the grounds of the Convention Centre before a final right-hand hairpin brings them back across the start/finish line to complete the lap."

I was scoping out a large post but realized that this isn't the place for it. So I'll just say that having the majority of one gender in F1 broadcasts be represented by people standing there to be nothing more than pretty objects is not good for young children watching the broadcast. Because it sets their expectations of the sport which leads to less women in F1 and karting in general. Which is why I think that even though Wolff and Jorda aren't great drivers, they at least presented and hopefully treated as equals to the male test/development drivers, and that goes a long way.

Think of it as this way, would losing grid girls hamper or diminish the sport in any way?
No no it really wouldn't. Having Carmen Jorda and Susie Wolff there do a better job at showing women that there is a place for them on the race track in the car, but they're not even talented enough to race competitively. I have no problem at all with female drivers as long as they're there on talent and merit and not because of sponsorship cash or because her husband used to co own the team, or whatever Toto's previous role with them was. Susie's a nice person though, so I don't say that with any kind of animosity. I was honestly hoping Simona De Silvestra's talks with Sauber would've went somewhere, but Kaltenborn going to Kaltenborn. I even congratulated Kaltenborn when Sauber promoted her to team principal, but well she's in the dog house currently. To be honest I'm happy that Claire Williams and Pat Symonds have done so well for Williams and Claire looks to be a better role model for the sport than the drivers, it's more of a position of power. The same can also be said for Audi's Leena Gade.

DBT85

Little reminder: Today's the next Formula E race. This time in Long Beach.

VUlUaoN.jpg

"The Long Beach Formula E race, or ePrix, takes place on April 4 2015 and forms the sixth of nine races for the inaugural season. The track uses a modified configuration of the iconic Long Beach street circuit in South California, which is the longest running in the US, beginning in 1975 and hosting Formula One from 1976 to 1983 before staging annual CART, Champ Car and IndyCar races. At 2.1km and featuring seven turns, the Formula E cars will use the same iconic start/finish line adjacent to the Marina before heading off in a clockwise direction past the Rainbow Lagoon. They will then turn right onto South Pine Avenue before re-joining with the more familiar track configuration. The cars will then pass around the grounds of the Convention Centre before a final right-hand hairpin brings them back across the start/finish line to complete the lap."

That looks shit.

That looks shit.

So do most Formula E tracks. Miami was super terrible. I get why they're doing it mostly on street tracks, but the layouts rarely seem to fit the nature of the cars. Long straights and 90 degree corners couldn't be less exciting for Formula E cars.

Sunhi, fuck yeah! It's awesome that you're with us! There should be some good material.

e: Holy shit, Prost came back with vengeance. Shady as hell.

Eh. Piquet. :/

Well, he was pretty much unchallenged this race. He deserved it, I'd say. I just wish everyone would stop with the comparisons. "His father won his first F1 race in Long Beach and now he won his first FE race here!", like it carries the same weight. Still happy for him.

untitled-9d7xt5.gif

First Formula E race I watched and it wasn't too bad, plenty of action, looking forward to the next round. Would like to see them race on some actual race circuits instead of city tracks all the time though, should also get more interesting once manufacturers are able to develop their own car.

So is it true that he won in a race where his teammate crashed and caused a safety car? I only saw the end.

(I know he got the lead on the first corner, so obviously he deserved it)

First Formula E race I watched and it wasn't too bad, plenty of action, looking forward to the next round. Would like to see them race on some actual race circuits instead of city tracks all the time though, should also get more interesting once manufacturers are able to develop their own car.

I'm still a bit bummed that the chassis remains the same, though. I know they're doing it to keep the costs down, but I was really hoping for some more interesting takes. At least the cars look better than the first FE car that was shown.

So is it true that he won in a race where his teammate crashed and caused a safety car? I only saw the end.

(I know he got the lead on the first corner, so obviously he deserved it)

Kinda funny, when you think about it. Still, great, great start from P3.

untitled-44xj1g.gif

DD

Fun fact: the first Formula 1 win for Nelson Piquet took place in 1980, in Long Beach.

EDIT: and just like today, with Lucas di Grassi, that race ended with another brazilian on the podium, with Emerson Fittipaldi in third.

Fun fact: the first Formula 1 win for Nelson Piquet took place in 1980, in Long Beach.

EDIT: and just like today, with Lucas di Grassi, that race ended with another brazilian on the podium, with Emerson Fittipaldi in third.

Yeah, they ran that fun fact into the ground during the TV show. I feel like most people don't want these drivers to step out of the shadows of their fathers.

DD

Yeah, they ran that fun fact into the ground during the TV show. I feel like most people don't want these drivers to step out of the shadows of their fathers.
Well, that's not an easy task. He is the son of a three times Formula 1 champion, and decided follow the same career as his father. He even carries the exact same name, and that name surely helped him to get there. He even chose to race under the same flag, despite the fact that he was born in Germany.

And then, this massive coincidence happens today... o_O

Well, that's not an easy task. He is the son of a three times Formula 1 champion, and decided follow the same career as his father. He even carries the exact same name, and that name surely helped him to get there. He even chose to race under the same flag, despite the fact that he was born in Germany.

And then, this massive coincidence happens today... o_O

Please don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against Piquet or his son. It's just that it starts getting on the nerves after you hear it 5 or 6 times over the span of a race. Or the fact that they're the sons or however related to these former F1 drivers and champions (Nelson and Bruno). And I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be sick of the Max vs Jos Verstappen comparisons before we reach Barcelona. The whole Nico vs Keke stuff last year was annoying as hell, too.

DD

Please don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against Piquet or his son. It's just that it starts getting on the nerves after you hear it 5 or 6 times over the span of a race. Or the fact that they're the sons or however related to these former F1 drivers and champions (Nelson and Bruno). And I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be sick of the Max vs Jos Verstappen comparisons before we reach Barcelona. The whole Nico vs Keke stuff last year was annoying as hell, too.

Haha, I didn't knew about that. Sorry.

Zeknurn

I just watched the second half of the race and it was another great race. Piquet deserved the win and Vergne did hell of a job by setting himself up to leapfrog multiple positions in the pit stop.

It was a good track too.

Top Bottom