• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Zeppu

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but wouldn't a retina screened ipad mini require apps to support a third resolution?

Apple tend to double their res whenever they switch to retina. For the iPad Mini they'll eventually probably do the same and get 324dpi. That would be exactly the same res as the iPad3/4. I doubt they'll go any other resolution than that which is 2048×1536.

But the smaller size would be possibly worse for comics. I use my iPad 1 for web browsing, a few games, and comic reading. I am really wanting a Mini, but want to see what a comic looks like on it before deciding between a mini and the iPad 4. Just worried about that drop in size, as the regular iPads are a great size for comics.

7 to 8" is no good for comics IMO. 10" is the smallest I'd go because you want something that can fit the whole page on the screen without any zooming and panning. Anything smaller and it becomes an issue.
(no pun intended)

Plug your iphone into your car. You are grasping at straws here.

I think more people have cars that don't allow you to do this than cars that let you do it.

Alex

No one is saying that in absolute terms on a technical level. However there are instances where the GPU is tasked a bit too hard at retina resolution for its increase in power, resulting in worse performance than the iPad 2 in GPU heavy applications. It's hardly slow, but it isn't the same consistent performer we're accustomed to now from the other idevices.

From Anandtech:

Never actually knew this, it always just seemed snappier to me, especially on the internet, though I admit total ignorance on most games. Only real looker of a game I messed with was Infinity Blade 2 for about 20 minutes.

I suppose that makes it a little concerning for future proofing if you're into that kind of kit, having developers more likely to target that iphone5/ipad 4 chipset.

The all black is really nice looking.

Yes, I think so too. Please get rid of that silver backing, all white or all black would be great going forward.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah... let's completely forget about the build quality, user interface, integration with other Apple products, the app store, battery life, and the great Apple customer service. None of that matters.
When I'm looking to spend $200 on a tablet, your right none of that matters.

kinggroin

Banned
Apple tend to double their res whenever they switch to retina. For the iPad Mini they'll eventually probably do the same and get 324dpi. That would be exactly the same res as the iPad3/4. I doubt they'll go any other resolution than that which is 2048×1536.

iPad 3 is not double the resolution

JayDub

I said this in the Nexus 7 thread when it was announced:

Nearly perfect tablet.

7 inch size, one hand holding
Vanilla Android
Jelly bean
Nexus (guaranteed vanilla OS support for 2 years?)
720p IPS high quality screen
Quad core Tegra processor
Good, simple design
250 game changer price

Deal breakers are no micro sdslot. 16gb is not enough. Lack of camera is understandable for the price. Even if the price was $50 more for an sd slot it would've been worth it.

I'll wait for either a revision or something from another manufacturer after this becomes successful (and it will be successful). God 7 inch is so awesome

Although all the other specs I listed is better than the Mini, this is a 7-inch iPad, and its the one I want. I current have a 2 and I'll be getting this. Super excited, its the perfect size!

Willing to ignore the lack of an sdslot, this is an iOS device after all. I still think the $250 price for the N7 is a game changer.

MRORANGE

Question:

If I order the ipad mini and it gives me the option of

- pick up at store

or

- home delivery

which one should I go for? I can visit the store but in the afternoon, so not sure if out of stock by then.

also what time for the panic buying on friday lol?

Question:

If I order the ipad mini and it gives me the option of

- pick up at store

or

- home delivery

which one should I go for? I can visit the store but in the afternoon, so not sure if out of stock by then.

also what time for the panic buying on friday lol?

Avoid the store. Apple is good at shipping stuff.

Yeah, not really.

The real sign that it isn't was when Apple felt like they had to do a direct comparison on stage. Very un-Apple like and came across as really pathetic to be honest.

I said this in the Nexus 7 thread when it was announced:

Although all the other specs I listed is better than the Mini, this is a 7-inch iPad, and its the one I want. I current have a 2 and I'll be getting this. Super excited, its the perfect size!

Willing to ignore the lack of an sdslot, this is an iOS device after all. I still think the $250 price for the N7 is a game changer.

I have a Nexus and I like it, but the perfect device for me is an iPad Mini with a retina display.

But I actually prefer the Nexus 7 to this current iPad, mainly because of the price.

can they give it on the launch day of release shipping? or wait a bit longer?

They are great at delivery, so first day.

Word of advice, if you have an iphone right now, download the apple store application (I don't mean the app store app), it's the best way to buy when the web site is hammered. At least it was last time.

Zeppu

Ok, fine. Linearly, it is double the previous number..

It's actually 4x the resolution however.

Ah okay. I even quoted the actual x by y res so you know what I meant though. Also, in that case you should've told me that neither the iPhones nor the Macbooks were double the resolution.

VanWinkle

The real sign that it isn't was when Apple felt like they had to do a direct comparison on stage. Very un-Apple like and came across as really pathetic to be honest.

Not just that, but the biggest thing they were using as iPad mini as being better than the Nexus 7 is that the screen is bigger, like Apple have any room to use that as an advantage for their product, lol.

Anyway, this looks pretty awesome. I think I'd prefer a Nexus 7 after seeing both, and the much cheaper price on Nexus 7 makes it easier to pick that one, but I don't know yet.

2X resolution, 4X pixels.

So pixels don't relate to resolution now? It has twice the vertical resolution, and twice the horizontal resolution, ergo four times the resolution.

giga

Verge hands on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4_BCDluosA&

I need it. Less than half the weight of the iPad seals it.

zWv+

For the specs, it's priced a lot higher than I expected it to be.

Got a Nexus 7 a few months ago... don't regret it a bit after seeing the price of this.

I was unaware that this was a distinction.

It's just the general terminology. When you say something has double the resolution it means twice the width and twice the height. The result is a four times increase in pixel count. They're just measured differently in terminology is all.

So pixels don't relate to resolution now? It has twice the vertical resolution, and twice the horizontal resolution, ergo four times the resolution.
I didn't say they don't relate, but that's the proper way to specify what you're talking about. When someone says it has twice the resolution, what do you think they mean?

Oppo

I've seen this mentioned a few times in here, and it's not true. Apple has drawn competitor comparisons in their presentations for practically all iOS devices right back to the original iPhone. I remember Steve Jobs pointing to the circled Blackberry keyboard on stage and saying "this is where the real problem is". It's not a new (or desperation) move for Apple; it's totally par for the course.

VanWinkle

It's just the general terminology. When you say something has double the resolution it means twice the width and twice the height. The result is a four times increase in pixel count. They're just measured differently in terminology is all.

I didn't say they don't relate, but that's the proper way to specify what you're talking about. When someone says it has twice the resolution, what do you think they mean?

I would think it would be mean twice the pixels, although you don't really ever seen twice the resolution on anything because it would be weird.

GavinGT

Banned
Have they released the physical dimensions of the device itself? I'm assuming it's wider than the Nexus 7, right? If so, that would make it too big to fit in a pocket, and awkward to hold in a single hand.

Gaaraz

It was quite galling to see the difference between the iOS tablet apps, and the Android tablet apps - why have developers shunned Android tablets so much?

Koodo

Banned
SCREAMING at the crying Android tablet at the end of the OP. Where is the lie?

I'm not in the target for the iPad Mini since I prefer the bigger iPad, but it's looking like a neat addition to the lineup.

JayDub

Not just that, but the biggest thing they were using as iPad mini as being better than the Nexus 7 is that the screen is bigger, like Apple have any room to use that as an advantage for their product, lol.

Anyway, this looks pretty awesome. I think I'd prefer a Nexus 7 after seeing both, and the much cheaper price on Nexus 7 makes it easier to pick that one, but I don't know yet.

Not exactly, the point was to highlight that they can get much more screen real estate for just .9 size difference. 30% more in portrait, 60% more in landscape with just a .9 difference. It also helped to highlight that the .9 isnt that big of a deal when its lighter, thinner and the width is smaller than the N7.

Salty Android fans will see the comparison as pathetic. It actually helped to illustrate the advantage of the size to me. Especially when they got rid of the all the "noise" on both screens and just showed actual usable content. It made the N7 looked puny in comparison. This coming from someone who was seriously considering jumping ship from iOS to Android, and thought that the N7 was the perfect tablet.

Gaaraz

Salty Android fans will see the comparison as pathetic. It actually helped to illustrate the advantage of the size to me. Especially when they got rid of the all the "noise" on both screens and just showed actual usable content. It made the N7 looked puny in comparison.
Surely that depends on what browser you're using?

It was quite galling to see the difference between the iOS tablet apps, and the Android tablet apps - why have developers shunned Android tablets so much?

Too many screen sizes and resolutions to support coupled with a distinct lack of android tablet sales...

In a pinch, it fits just fine. Say I'm getting something out of my backpack while walking around campus or something.

That makes sense. :)

JayDub

Surely that depends on what browser you're using?

Was the example during the keynote using Chrome on N7, or stock? Does it matter? I've never actually used the N7 I admit.

I suspect the next N7 is going to be really really something. Spec wise its already a beast.

Top Bottom