• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

What? No one is forcing you to buy anything. Anger? Fuck you Apple? Why get angry over something that doesn't affect you unless you buy one.

Every time they put out a new iOS device, the one you already have becomes that much closer to end-of-life. Especially when Apple seems to have a track record of letting their aged devices get firmware updates that feel a bit beyond the device's capabilities.

That might explain some hostility.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think it's way too expensive. Seems like sooner or later Apple would feel some of that downward price pressure from the market, but somehow they keep getting away with these prices. I guess we'll see.

Every time they put out a new iOS device, the one you already have becomes that much closer to end-of-life. Especially when Apple seems to have a track record of letting their aged devices get firmware updates that feel a bit beyond the device's capabilities.

That might explain some hostility.
I just find it weird that some people are acting as though Apple somehow just made their current iPad obsolete by releasing a new one with slightly improved specs. It's still the same great device it was yesterday.

Zeppu

They don't need to match Google on price in order to go at their throat.

But, using an silly analogy someone else used, wouldn't it be like BMW bragging it has better seating than a Smart?

I just find it weird that some people are acting as though Apple somehow just made their current iPad obsolete by releasing a new one with slightly improved specs. It's still the same great device it was yesterday.

And like I said before, some people seem to say that Android devices suddenly become worse when they don't get the latest OS updates.

Sorry Whitta I'm only singling you out because you're making somewhat valid comments. <3 <3

mrkgoo

I miss the good ole days when we Apple fans cared more about quality than we did sales. This has just become so sad.

I agree with the sentiment, bunts what happens when things become mre mainstream. I don't care much for sales or belong to any elite group or anything, so rest assured these fanboys still exist, they're just a smaller part of a larger pie.

I'm still on an iPad 1. I'm genuinely surprised that the iPad mini is as alluring an option to upgrade. 50% the weight for 80-90% the iPad!

It's not for people who already has an iPad, it's another option. I would consider it as my next iPad. People ho argue that for 50% more you get a lot more for your money are arguing the same thing about getting an air vs a pro.

Sometimes the form factor is important to some.

I don't know. To be honest I'd probably prefer an iPad 4, but a dinky little iPad could be neat.

KtSlime

fair :p

It just made me laugh in the sense that I thought they'd go at Google's throat with this. I was willing to get one if they matched prices, or at least got a bit closer.

Now what if this iPad mini, at a 60% premium over the Nexus 7 and other 7" Android tablets, outsold them. No need to go for the throat if it's a guaranteed win anyway, IMO.

Cheebo

Banned
Have we found out if the screen is mounted onto the glass ala iphone and ipod touch?

That is honestly more important than retina imo.

Considering my ipad one is used basically only for the odd bit of web browsing because it's lack of power makes it a sluggish beast these days, I was looking for an upgrade.
The price hurts though, especially when the nexus 7 is also a sexy beast.
But still, dat marketplace...

As someone who is in the market for a tablet, I am so into the iPad mini. I personally do not care that it is more expensive than its closest competitors; it is significantly more beautiful, looks like the build quality is top notch, and it has the ECOSYSTEM. I know apple products just "work". I have not had any issues with my macbook pro or iphone 4 or 5. They make great products and I feel that this is a great alternative to the full size iPad. I see the regular iPad as a laptop replacement whereas this is a complement to my laptop seeing as its much more portable...but that's just me.

Zeppu

I love phone/tablet analogies.

They're stupid aren't they. I agree completely but if it's valid for build quality, I don't see why they aren't valid for price.

The worst part actually is that smart cars are actually pretty well built. They're practically made by the same guys who make Mercs. They're just small.

People weren't emotionally ready. They didn't have a chance to say goodbye. The doctor said it had 6 months to live!

And if you don't have the newest thing, you're obviously a dick.

You definitely would have to be a techno-dolt to hold that opinion, yes.

Stop embarrassing me, Apple fans. Stop it. We used to be so much better than this garbage.

As someone who is in the market for a tablet, I am so into the iPad mini. I personally do not care that it is more expensive than its closest competitors; it is significantly more beautiful, looks like the build quality is top notch, and it has the ECOSYSTEM. I know apple products just "work". I have not had any issues with my macbook pro or iphone 4 or 5. They make great products and I feel that this is a great alternative to the full size iPad. I see the regular iPad as a laptop replacement whereas this is a complement to my laptop seeing as its much more portable...but that's just me.

The issue is the design or the price. It's what you get for that price. Really really old screen tech + really really old processer tech. If you don't plan to do much other than browse, read books and watch videos on it, you're golden. Otherwise, it's going to show its age the day you bring it home.

entremet

Of course they do. Even techno-dolts like my sister called me today to laugh about the pricing of the Mini and the lack of retina. Mini isn't going to hurt Google or Amazon.

Really? That's hard to believe.

Stop embarrassing me, Apple fans. Stop it. We used to be so much better than this garbage.

The issue is the design or the price. It's what you get for that price. Really really old screen tech + really really old processer tech. If you don't plan to do much other than browse, read books and watch videos on it, you're golden. Otherwise, it's going to show its age the day you bring it home.

Here we going again with these talking points.

Do you think these are deal breakers for the mass market?

Regarding the processor. What are you doing on your tablet that requires a better processor? It seems we're back in this spec war stuff that means little to the average consumer.

KtSlime

Apple fans have always been willing to pony up a couple more dollars to have the integration and polish. How is this all of a sudden different, other than you simply not being interested in the product? Apple doesn't have to make their products specifically for you, and you don't have to buy products you don't care about.

KtSlime

Yeah really. There's a huge market of people that will look at the prices of the various smaller tablets and go for the cheapest one. That didn't change today.

Can we get this on record, are you stating that you think the Nexus 7 will outsell the iPad mini?

midonnay

The 16gb Nexus 7 is $250. The iPad mini has a larger screen by almost 1" and has a 5mp back camera, HD front camera. $80 difference doesn't seem very ridiculous.

Anyway, I dig the bezel. Definitely prefer it to the hug plastic borders on previous 7" tablets. I got rid of my Nexus 7 because the tablet apps were up to snuff. This one may be my sweet spot.

larger screen affects the portability (can't fit into jacket pockets)

if I had to carry around anyways.....I would just get a full sized ipad.

Has there been no confirmation of a black version of the ipad4/refresh?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/overview/

There are pictures of the black iPad there.

retina.png

Quake1028

So, are the releasing iPad 5 in March or will October/November be the new iPad cycle? If the latter, good for those of us who don't care about the 4th gen improvements, 18 months between upgrades.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The 16gb Nexus 7 is $250. The iPad mini has a larger screen by almost 1" and has a 5mp back camera, HD front camera. $80 difference doesn't seem very ridiculous.

Anyway, I dig the bezel. Definitely prefer it to the hug plastic borders on previous 7" tablets. I got rid of my Nexus 7 because the tablet apps were up to snuff. This one may be my sweet spot.

For now, but going by the Stapples leaking stuff out early there is a 32 gig version coming and a supposed price drop on the 16 gig version.

HolyTaco

Yup same great device even though A6 is the new iPad standard and your fancy 6 month old A5 iPad 3 starts to chug because that's what happens everytime to old iOS devices. It's like clockwork. Hardware only remains as 'great' as it's capability to run the software.

Top Bottom