• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Alchemy

I would be getting the mini to read comics on. With panel zooming, there isn't much of a need for the larger screen of the regular iPad or other sized tablet. One handing comics would be great.

Unfortunately I don't need this device, and seeing as I can't preorder it until the 26th means I should be able to shake this feeling of wanting a new toy.

It's a nice device but if you have a smart phone I don't see the point in owning a tablet.

you know, i used to think this too. but doing the same stuff you do on a phone with a tablet just feels so much better. browsing the web, watching videos, reading. the extra screen space really changes things. just feels a lot more comfortable to me.

Emily Chu

Banned
it's starting to look like a Samsung Galaxy Note II....

only a tad bigger

that being said I can totally see this driving the birth of 7.9"-8.0" 1080p phones of 2013-2014

thats right a fucking 8" phone @ 1920x1200p (all Screen) virtually bezel less

Fuck... i might be crazy here, but if they released a phone version of the ipad mini (not just 4g antenna), I'd probably get it.

I think i might have fallen in love with my friends new galaxy note 2.

IceCold

I have been on the fence between a nexus 7 and an ipad mini. I think today's conference convinced me to go with the iPad mini and smart cover...

img_1791.jpg

Really? I can't browse or read on my phone for more than a few minutes before I get really annoyed...

img_1803.jpg

I'd much rather browse and read on the device on the right....

At home I use a computer, on the go I don't need a massive screen since I'm not going to surf the web for hours. I'd only use it while commuting to work or whatever. I bought the HP touchpad when it was cheap and once I got a smartphone I practically stopped using it. I'll use it to read comics once it a while but that's it.

If you have a data plan with your smartphone can you use the same data plan for your tablet or do you need to have a 2nd one?

Emily Chu

Banned
What kind of monster wants an 8" phone?

sure is holding it like a phone... that with a smart cover

whats the difference between this and the Note II with a flip cover

besides 2 more inches on the screen ?

kDXV2.png

iPad is getting smaller

iPhone is getting bigger

they shall meet in the middle and have sex....

iPHOD 8" phone/tablet is born

As a toy.

Don't own any of them so can't offer 'expert' opinion. But for me I'm always drawn to the touch as it seems to offer the widest use when out and about (price keeps me away).

Mini has better alternatives for home uses imo with Nexus/Kindle. And if its Apple products thats swaying you - go iPad 3 I'd say.

Blackhead

Redarse
I was thinking about this too. they had to go with a super thin bezel to keep the device small since the screen is 4:3. But thumbs haven't gotten smaller and they still need to rest on the sides. I guess the lighter weight means you don't need the same grip as you do on the main ipad... But, still, I could see some accidental page turns or page scrolls as sides of the thumbs touch the screen.

edit:
It has the ability to distinguish between accidental and intentional presses near the bezel...
is this new?
I can't find any source on that, and I'd wait for reviews before its declared a viable solution

Oppo

And unfortunately there's still nothing on the Play Store that indicates that an app is tablet-optimized. Which is very very annoying, and means we really have no idea how many tablet apps there actually are.

What??

jeezus. That explains a lot.

sure is holding it like a phone... that with a smart cover

whats the difference between this and the Note II with a flip cover

besides 2 more inches on the screen ?

kDXV2.png

iPad is getting smaller

iPhone is getting bigger

they shall meet in the middle and have sex....

iPHOD 8" phone/tablet is born

Honestly, I am considering buying one of these, getting a 4G data plan, and installing google voice on it. I only make 3-5 calls a month anyhow...

Emily Chu

Banned
Honestly, I am considering buying one of these, getting a 4G data plan, and installing google voice on it. I only make 3-5 calls a month anyhow...

thats actually feasible as fuck for a phone plan.... holy shit... good idea

shame iphone 5 has higher res though

but a fucking 8" phone/tablet single device to carry around is awesome that does most of the things a laptop does.

but a fucking 8" phone/tablet single device to carry around is awesome that does most of the things a laptop does.

What would you add to turn it into a phone though? Thats just a 3G tablet still.
Though I suppose the difference between tablet and phone is increasingly muddled.

thats actually feasible as fuck for a phone plan.... holy shit... good idea

shame iphone 5 has higher res though

I think this is the first time you and I have agreed on something. Clearly, one of us has lost our damn mind. :D

aznpxdd

So people kept shitting on the Note for being too big, now all the sudden using an iPad mini as a phone is just fine now? SMH.

Emily Chu

Banned
What would you add to turn it into a phone though? Thats just a 3G tablet still.
Though I suppose the difference between tablet and phone is increasingly muddled.

well like he said there are apps and stuff that can send and recieve text messages via regular numbers and also receive and make calls

Google Voice does both nicely all you need is a 3-4G data plan though and voila enjoy your tablet as your outside phone.... with all the trimmings and benefits of a tablet

@459$ the 16GB LTE option can be your new "iphone 5+"

As someone with an iPad, Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, MacBook etc I have to say some of the language being used in the video made me cringe so fucking bad - how many times did they call it magical? Or use awful terms like "These aren't just the same apps you use on your phone, these are powerful apps."

Sorry what Apple? Fucking hell. I can't believe I used to be a sucker for their marketing.

Also love how they constantly talked about how the iPhone was the perfect size, any bigger and it wouldn't fit in one hand... yet a 7.9" tablet apparently now works perfectly in one hand...?!

Finally you have been awaken!!

Replicant

If you have a data plan with your smartphone can you use the same data plan for your tablet or do you need to have a 2nd one?

Is this really easy to do? Do you need to talk to your plan provider or can you just easily set your tablet to your smartphone data plan?

I'm still unsure though if I'd get iPad mini, iPad 4 or Nexus 7. If iPad mini had come with retina display, my decision would have been instant. But as it is now, the price kind of made me hesitant but the bigger screen in comparison to other mini tablets is a plus. But if I want it that big, then shouldn't I just add a few hundred bucks to get iPad 4?

Nexus 7 is cheap but I'm not hot about the small size screen but I suppose for $200 (AUS) it's quite a good deal as long as I get one without any kind of problem.

well like he said there are apps and stuff that can send and recieve text messages via regular numbers and also receive and make calls

Google Voice does both nicely all you need is a 3-4G data plan though and voila enjoy your tablet as your outside phone.... with all the trimmings and benefits of a tablet

@459$ the 16GB LTE option can be your new "iphone 5+"

It will be interesting to see how these two markets 'merge'. Still think talking is used a bit much; but you could have a tablet with a wireless ear piece that slides out of the side or something (and is available through any casing/carry cases) to quickly answer your device.

But if you don't really chat too much by voice; your pretty sorted to go if you can get a good data plan.

railGUN

Banned
The Note isn't made by Apple. That's the problem.

The mini isn't a phone is the problem. Apple isn't claiming phones should be huge, and in fact they pride themselves on making their phone small, thin and light. A couple comments by 1or 2 people don't make this a collective thought.

The mini isn't a phone is the problem. Apple isn't claiming phones should be huge, and in fact they pride themselves on making their phone small, thin and light. A couple comments by 1or 2 people don't make this a collective thought.

Yeah, but it's easier to lump everyone together and say "LOL, Apple Fanboys!"

Row

Banned
I'm ditching my old 3gs for an android soon, but want an ios device for all my past purchases + I like a lot of the games released only on ios, but that price with that resolution is a tough pill to swallow

LCfiner

I thought there was only one or two people in here saying they could use the ipad mini as a phone? how is it now a large group of people thinking this? ugh. the internet.

I thought there was only one or two people in here saying they could use the ipad mini as a phone? how is it now a large group of people thinking this? ugh. the internet.

I'm pretty sure it is only Emily Chau and myself. :)

I look at the 4G iPad Mini as a modern "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" It's pretty much everything I've wanted in a device....

Top Bottom