• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

bkw

So between the cheaper iPad mini and the cheapest iPod touch 5th gen, is the only difference the screen (non-retina iPad size versus retina iPhone size) and the storage (16GB and 32GB)? The processor/GPU and cameras are all the same right?

It was quite galling to see the difference between the iOS tablet apps, and the Android tablet apps - why have developers shunned Android tablets so much?

I think it has to do with the fact that up until recently there haven't been many Android tablets that consumers actually wanted. The Nexus 7 and Amazon tablets seem to be changing this though.

I would think it would be mean twice the pixels, although you don't really ever seen twice the resolution on anything because it would be weird.

Well it is very common to refer to an increase of width and height of twice the amount to be labeled as double the resolution.

Zeppu

Salty Android fans will see the comparison as pathetic. It actually helped to illustrate the advantage of the size to me. Especially when they got rid of the all the "noise" on both screens and just showed actual usable content. It made the N7 looked puny in comparison. This coming from someone who was seriously considering jumping ship from iOS to Android, and thought that the N7 was the perfect tablet.

That's a rather silly thing to say though. It's a bigger tablet with a bigger screen. You could argue that iPhones are puny in comparison to the majority of Android handsets because they're all larger with larger screens.

Was the example during the keynote using Chrome on N7, or stock? Does it matter? I've never actually used the N7 I admit.

I suspect the next N7 is going to be really really something. Spec wise its already a beast.

The N7 is a great tablet. Excited to see what the Nexus 10 looks like.

Gaaraz

Too many screen sizes and resolutions to support coupled with a distinct lack of android tablet sales...
I thought that too, but then...

PJ_12_09_17_tabletNews-report_02.png

@Jay - fair points. To be fair the extra width does seem to make a huge difference (and was part of the reason I ditched iOS and got an S3) but you can see there's a lot of unnecessary room used by that particular browser, which yes I think is Chrome (the browser I use on my iPad anyway) - although even just taking away the tabs bar, there's definitely still a lot of extra space on the iPad mini.

The app store on iOS seems to kill it though, fair play, it's amazing that so many of those apps weren't tablet optimized.

Somnid

Too many screen sizes and resolutions to support coupled with a distinct lack of android tablet sales...

The first is not an issue, in fact many apps (iOS and Android) are in fact bundled web-apps and web has to support all resolutions and has mechanisms to do so. Plus it's what good devs do. What was problematic was the number of devices (CPUs, RAM, sensors) that need to be supported and can have quirks combined with the absolutely shitty OS upgrade paths. Most user are still on Gingerbread phones, and to make money you need to support them. It's a total Internet Explorer type scenario. iOS has 1 OS version to support.

JayDub

That's a rather silly thing to say though. It's a bigger tablet with a bigger screen. You could argue that iPhones are puny in comparison to the majority of Android handsets because they're all larger with larger screens.

Im not comparing size to size though.

I thought that too, but then...

PJ_12_09_17_tabletNews-report_02.png

@Jay - fair points. To be fair the extra width does seem to make a huge difference (and was part of the reason I ditched iOS and got an S3) but you can see there's a lot of unnecessary room used by that particular browser, which yes I think is Chrome (the browser I use on my iPad anyway) - although even just taking away the tabs bar, there's definitely still a lot of extra space on the iPad mini.

The app store on iOS seems to kill it though, fair play, it's amazing that so many of those apps weren't tablet optimized.

About the apps:

Usually when Apple makes a big deal about something negative regarding Android, it usually gets addressed quick by Google or someone else.

Has Google announced anything recently about tablet targeted apps? Does the Google Play store allow for "Universal" apps? Can the GP store lock non-tablet apps from downloading on a non-tablet? Seems reasonable as I believe it can restrict apps from downloading on older Android phones.

But it's not that much bigger. With those bezels, they're maximising the screen size within a device that is not much wider, and the squarer aspect ratio makes more sense to me.

NIghtWolf

I probably wait until next generation N7 and ipad-mini to get a 7'' tablet. But to be honest if I were to chose now I would go with the N7, I don't believe the characteristic differences between both justify the price difference. Like I read in another site, I don't feel this mini ipad is ''premium enough'' for what it cost.

Ill wait for now.

Ra\/en

I couldn't care less about this. Ipad or Iphone. I don't see the point here.

OH well. I'm sure people will buy it.

VanWinkle

Im not comparing size to size though.

About the apps:

Usually when Apple makes a big deal about something negative regarding Android, it usually gets addressed quick by Google or someone else.

Has Google announced anything recently about tablet targeted apps? Does the Google Play store allow for "Universal" apps? Can the GP store lock non-tablet apps from downloading on a non-tablet? Seems reasonable as I believe it can restrict apps from downloading on older Android phones.

Their developer site posted a Tablet App Quality Checklist recently, which will hopefully help some, at least in quality. And the Play Store does have universal apps (for instance, IMDB for the tablet and phone are the same app, but look different depending on the device), but a lot of apps still have phone versions and tablet versions for some reason. And unfortunately there's still nothing on the Play Store that indicates that an app is tablet-optimized. Which is very very annoying, and means we really have no idea how many tablet apps there actually are.

DGRE

Banned
I really think this is going to be something of a flop in the first iteration, kind of like apple TV. The price point couldn't be more wrong.

They'll work out some of the kinks in future versions and it'll become a mild success, kind of like apple TV.

Mrbob

you guys think google has a chance with their nexus tablet?

Why wouldn't they? The tablet market is eventually going to go the way of the phone market with Android taking the lions share of all sales.

It used to be all about Ipad, but now I have friends who are considering buying an Android Tablet instead. Mainly due to price to performance.

I have an Ipad and don't plan on switching, but my main interest is in gaming and iOS is much better than Android on this front. If it weren't for games I'd have no problem getting an Android tablet instead.

tino

Banned
I am done with 7" tablets guy. My ideal substitute is a 5.5"-6" 1080p (preferably 1920X1200) phone.

Yeah I said it. A 6 inch phone.

I think it will carve out a successful niche, but will kill any other standard (non-Kindle/Nook) 7" android tablet.

It will still be a distant 4th in terms of sales behind the iPad Mini, Kindle Fire, and Nook HD. I know everyone here is complaining about specs, but I don't think the average consumer gives a rats ass about specs.

They'll see ads touting 275,000 apps, the premium build quality, and the lower price and flock to it. Every kid will get one instead of a full sized iPad.

And that is the key: People here compare the iPad Mini to the Nexus, and claim it is expensive. Consumers will compare it to the iPad and see that is over 33% less expensive.

I really think this is going to be something of a flop in the first iteration, kind of like apple TV. The price point couldn't be more wrong.

They'll work out some of the kinks in future versions and it'll become a mild success, kind of like apple TV.

I could not disagree more. Apple will sell every single one they can produce this Winter.

Don't see it being a flop but don't see it being a hit. In the long term it maybe will be comparable to the Apple TV; but a bit more important to the product range.

Its a mid range way to access the OS and iPad experience though; so it should have a market; but I don't see it being the 'top toy this Christmas' as some have suggested before the conference.

NIghtWolf

The N7 or the rumoured N10?

As for the N7 I don't think the mini-ipad will necessarily affect it that much. I consider their pricing would mostly cannibalize its own itouch and some of the ipad userbase. I don't think they will necessarily push the N7 out of the market with it.

Emily Chu

Banned
I am done with 7" tablets guy. My ideal substitute is a 5.5"-6" 1080p (preferably 1920X1200) phone.

Yeah I said it. A 6 inch phone.

no just give me a 6.5"-7" phone that triple boots iOS, Android, and windows 8 Pro x86/64 OS

@ 1920x1200

I throw away every other device I own

also

329$ for a 1024x768 device

Da fuq ?

Cheebo

Banned
The N7 or the rumoured N10?

As for the N7 I don't think the mini-ipad will necessarily affect it that much. I consider their pricing would mostly cannibalize its own itouch and some of the ipad userbase. I don't think they will necessarily push the N7 out of the market with it.

N7 was never in the market. It has estimated to sell 700k-1 mil which is pretty minimal. iPad mini should double or triple that in it's opening weekend alone.

(I adore my Nexus 7 btw)

dyls

Really? With the holidays coming up? They'll sell every one they can make through the end of the year and probably through March when they unveil the retina version.

This price may be prohibitive for people to buy for themselves for no reason, but it's nicely in the sweet spot for Christmas gifts. It will absolutely be a hit. The only thing that will hold them back is production issues.

giga

They sell about 2 million Apple TVs a quarter. Yeah, no.

So between the cheaper iPad mini and the cheapest iPod touch 5th gen, is the only difference the screen (non-retina iPad size versus retina iPhone size) and the storage (16GB and 32GB)? The processor/GPU and cameras are all the same right?

Yeah as far as the screen you have the retina screen (in-cell technology) on the iPod touch and the non-retina screen on iPad mini.

iPad mini starts at 16GB and iPod touch at 32GB.

They both have the A5 but I'd imagine the iPad mini will be clocked slightly higher as it was with the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2.

KtSlime

Don't see it being a flop but don't see it being a hit. In the long term it maybe will be comparable to the Apple TV; but a bit more important to the product range.

Its a mid range way to access the OS and iPad experience though; so it should have a market; but I don't see it being the 'top toy this Christmas' as some have suggested before the conference.

It never had that chance anyway. That title assuredly will belong to the iPhone 5.

Alchemy

I went from not giving a shit about this to wanting the black iPad Mini with a Smart Cover (and retiring my iPad 1 to my wife).

Stupid disposable income.

Mangotron

I thought Steve Jobs said smaller tablets were stupid. LOL, he dies and the company goes to shit!

It's been pointed out before that Jobs said a lot of things that weren't true, or that he reversed his position on. I'm not very impressed with the Mini, but Jobs wasn't an all-seeing eye for technology.

I went from not giving a shit about this to wanting the black iPad Mini with a Smart Cover (and retiring my iPad 1 to my wife).

Stupid disposable income.

I have been on the fence between a nexus 7 and an ipad mini. I think today's conference convinced me to go with the iPad mini and smart cover...

img_1791.jpg

It's a nice device but if you have a smart phone I don't see the point in owning a tablet.

Really? I can't browse or read on my phone for more than a few minutes before I get really annoyed...

img_1803.jpg

I'd much rather browse and read on the device on the right....

now that i think about it, ipad mini weights only a little more than my kindle paperwhite.

holy balls.

Now i'm infinitely more curious about it. Would love to get hands on.

GatorBait

The only thing that concerns me is the minimal bezel thickness on the sides. I actually grasp my iPad by the side bezel now when reading webpages and books.

Zeth

I thought Steve Jobs said smaller tablets were stupid. LOL, he dies and the company goes to shit!

Steve famously made several very public statements which ended up being misdirection. Brilliant really.

The only thing that concerns me is the minimal bezel thickness on the sides. I actually grasp my iPad by the side bezel now when reading webpages and books.

There's new finger rejection tech in iOS specifically for the mini. Forget who reported it, maybe Anand. Wish the N7 had that.

I have been on the fence between a nexus 7 and an ipad mini. I think today's conference convinced me to go with the iPad mini and smart cover...

img_1791.jpg

Really? I can't browse or read on my phone for more than a few minutes before I get really annoyed...

img_1803.jpg

I'd much rather browse and read on the device on the right....

I've been fine with my laptop for so many years.

Still not sure if I need a tablet yet.

LCfiner

I was thinking about this too. they had to go with a super thin bezel to keep the device small since the screen is 4:3. But thumbs haven't gotten smaller and they still need to rest on the sides. I guess the lighter weight means you don't need the same grip as you do on the main ipad... But, still, I could see some accidental page turns or page scrolls as sides of the thumbs touch the screen.

edit:

It has the ability to distinguish between accidental and intentional presses near the bezel...

is this new?

SuperPac

In the fall of 2010 he said 7" tablets were going to be dead on arrival - most likely talking about the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Blackberry Playbook. I don't think he was incorrect about that - the fortunes of Android tablets didn't turn around until last holiday season starting with the Kindle Fire.

But as pointed out, he often said something like this and then still entered whatever market he had complained about (phones).

Top Bottom