• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I am leaning towards being skeptical that a mini with a higher DPI display than the iPad 3/4 would have the same weight and thickness. I think they will have 2 models of big and little, iPad mini and iPad mini with Retina, and iPad and iPad with Retina, just like they do with MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina--the rebrand of the iPad 4 on the site as "iPad with Retina Display" might be evidence of this path.

I can see this iPad mini going for $229 next year with the retina model starting at $329. That would be pretty huge.

Shearie

By the way, the Smart Cover for iPad Mini is really not that good. I'm surprised its sliding so easily when connected to my Mini..

One thing that disappoints me from some YouTube videos I've seen is that the Smart Cover can snap on to the Mini while not being perfectly aligned which never happened with the regular Smart Cover and iPad.

By the way, the Smart Cover for iPad Mini is really not that good. I'm surprised its sliding so easily when connected to my Mini..

It makes holding it easier, but yeah, it's not a 40 dollar product unfortunately. It doesn't auto-grab on to the side of the Mini properly. You have to force it into the correct position. It also doesn't appear to want to stay in place. Poor job with that, Apple. Sorta making me want to look for a case now despite not wanting to obscure the beautiful backside.

VariantX04

Anyone experiencing awkwardness holding the device with one hand? Any problems with unintended tapping due to the thinner bezel?

I think this will replace the touch as the big gift item this holiday. I'm gonna get my parents one.

I wish my mom was into iPads, but she loves browsing her gardening sites on her notebook and archiving the articles and pictures on her HDD. It would make a great holiday present.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anyone experiencing awkwardness holding the device with one hand? Any problems with unintended tapping due to the thinner bezel?

No. But I wouldn't hold it with a pinch.

Just thumb up the side and resting in the corner of your palm.

Edit: Thumb along the bottom is ok too.

Same way I hold my Kindle. It may differ for people with small hands, but resting it on my palm is a perfect fit.

LCfiner

I gotta do a little shopping this weekend anyway so I'll definitely make a pitstop at the Apple store to check these out. one of the things I'm curious to check out is the spacing of certain buttons in Safari. I find that the iCloud/ bookmarks icons and bookmarks bar links below them can be pretty close together on the 10" model. I wonder how often I would tap the wrong target on the smaller screen.

Im going to try to head over to target in a little while to see if they have any ipads. I got the sudden urge to blow 300 bucks on a device i dont need

VariantX04

A friend is trying to convince me that store lines would be longer if the mini came retina-equipped. Ha! Small lines or not, I still expect this to make a killing during the holiday shopping season.

Great. Good to know thanks.

Shearie

How often do you take the smart cover off and on?

I did all the time with my iPad 2. Would take it off when holding the iPad and put it back on whenever going to whatever destination I went to or if I needed to fold it in a triangle to prop the iPad up in either of the 2 orientations.

Shearie

Apple stays with making these shit covers, just like the fully covered smart case for the iPad was terrible

I really liked my regular Smart Cover but I can't fathom why they would downgrade the Mini ones so that they don't easily snap on correctly like those.

There should be a disclaimer that this guy was dropped on his head as a child after his mother wanted to test whether or not his or his brothers skull would hold up the best.

Has any drop test said anything other than "Drop shit? It breaks"

iPhone 5 didn't break. In fact it held up pretty great.

I actually think the iPod Touch seems like a better overall product. Better screen and twice the storage, and still cheaper than the Mini.

Touch's price increase pretty much killed it imo. At this stage it really is just a child-friendly iphone.
Its priced out of the market with the Mini only slightly above it but performs more functions.

Its small form is its only asset and well - Apple just increased the size along with the price.

iPhone 5 didn't break. In fact it held up pretty great.

Smaller objects are going to hold together better than once with a much larger surface area but similar depth shocker :D
If your dropping this stuff in the street, sure; drop it on a desk corner; edge of a pavement; on a rough road - etc. its all going to be different.

I suppose their maybe decent for the 'first drop' to see if it just splinters. But does remind me of the good old 'lets smash up a console' tests.

dwebo

I really liked my regular Smart Cover but I can't fathom why they would downgrade the Mini ones so that they don't easily snap on correctly like those.

it's much gentler on the casing apparently, which might be important if the black's backing gets nicked easier, and the metallic gunk that accumulates over time probably won't be as noticeable either

it's much gentler on the casing apparently, which might be important if the black's backing gets nicked easier, and the metallic gunk that accumulates over time probably won't be as noticeable either
Metallic gunk? What now?

Ugh am I gonna have to return the Smart Cover I bought? :(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Im going to try to head over to target in a little while to see if they have any ipads. I got the sudden urge to blow 300 bucks on a device i dont need

I had that desire for about 15 minutes last night. This year I have bought two iPad 3s, Kindle Fire (1st Gen.), Paperwhite Kindle for myself and my wife. Not to mention two iPhone 5s. My tech budget is shot. Also, I really don't see the value in a mini right now.

bob page

Just ordered mine from Macmall- $329 with no tax & free UPS ground shipping. It's in stock too (they have a few left, 16gb black).

Bumhead

Banned
First impressions of this thing are really, really good.

There is a slight caveat here in that I don't own and have never had much exposure to a retina display, but to me the screen quality looks absolutely fine. It might be a jarring step down, it might not be, but either way I'm perfectly happy with this screen so far.

I also ordered a Smart Cover. Again, I have little frame of reference here, but I think the cover is fine. It's a nice, practical fit and I'm finding that the cover even gives a nice little extra boost in terms of grip on the left hand side, which compensates a little for the much smaller bezel.

The iPad itself looks gorgeous. I've gone for black and the slate rear looks fantastic. Build quality is excellent, which is pretty much a given with Apple hardware at this point, but still worth a mention. I fell in love with the form factor almost instantly. The difference between 7.9" and 9.7", and which if either represents an up or downgrade, is always going to be entirely subjective, but for me this hits all the right spots.

Really happy so far.

jts

...hate me...
With the Geekbench scores just below it, showing the iPad 3 being marginally slower.
Yeah. It's like the guy doesn't really care. "The 3 heh? Yeah that must be much faster than the 2". Maybe it's geeky of me, but it just shows a lack of passion for what he's doing. He's not really that interested in this stuff.

I tried the 4 today while at the apple store and didn't see any noticeable difference from the 3 either =\
That's because the A5/X already maxes out the GUI of its devices most of the time, so it doesn't really get better than 60fps, no matter how much faster a new CPU/GPU is.

Only under heavier loads like opening big apps, camera, photos, PDFs, editing stuff etc, you'll appreciate the extra power.

That's why the iPad mini is really coming out as "the" iPad, while the big iPad is basically the iPad Pro.

Zeth

I'm not positive it will get retina next year. Pretty sure it will stay a generation behind in the A-series chips to keep the full size positioned as the premium device. It will still be a fairly difficult engineering problem to get a 2048x1536 display that lasts 10 hours in this device even next year, unless there's an unlikely in-between res solution. Hope it happens though.

What are the chances I can grab one in store over the weekend? Petty good availability from what I can tell.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know this isn't an iPad 4 thread, but I just wanted to give some iPad 4 impressions:
- I think the initial startup animation was a little different than an iPad 3 (after the Apple logo, there was kind of like an animated whoosh type thing)
- Looks exactly like an iPad 3
- Lightning connector
- Still gets warm on the back, hard to say if they've mitigated the problem versus iPad 3 but it doesn't seem worse
- Everything pretty much loads instantly, but I don't have anything that really taxes the machine so I can't compare that much to iPad 3 in that respect

I know this isn't an iPad 4 thread, but I just wanted to give some iPad 4 impressions:
- I think the initial startup animation was a little different than an iPad 3 (after the Apple logo, there was kind of like an animated whoosh type thing)
- Looks exactly like an iPad 3
- Lightning connector
- Still gets warm on the back, hard to say if they've mitigated the problem versus iPad 3 but it doesn't seem worse
- Everything pretty much loads instantly, but I don't have anything that really taxes the machine so I can't compare that much to iPad 3 in that respect

Pretty much my thoughts with the iPad 4 so far, but I haven't experienced the wariness yet

Top Bottom