• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Zeth

I know this isn't an iPad 4 thread, but I just wanted to give some iPad 4 impressions:
- I think the initial startup animation was a little different than an iPad 3 (after the Apple logo, there was kind of like an animated whoosh type thing)
- Looks exactly like an iPad 3
- Lightning connector
- Still gets warm on the back, hard to say if they've mitigated the problem versus iPad 3 but it doesn't seem worse
- Everything pretty much loads instantly, but I don't have anything that really taxes the machine so I can't compare that much to iPad 3 in that respect

The 4 is so tempting. It's now the iPad equivalent of a souped-up MBP. I imagine it tears through images and editing with iPhoto.

Radec

Does the black slate's back gets easily scratched? or just like the big iPads?

Im thinking of going naked when I got mine.

lupinko

Just get those birchwood casey supertouch up pens.

I actually got mine (but dont' really need them now actually), turns out it's not ink it's more like a paint, no wonder they use those pens for M16 rifles.

D6AMIA6N

If it launched with either A6 or retina, I'd have bought one to replace my iPad2. I am in for the Mini2 or whatever it will be called. GAF gif threads just destroy my iPad. :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The iPad 2 Rev. A internals, which are even better for that purpose. 32nm process instead of 45nm.

Which also means even better battery life. 12-13 hours.

"In our standard battery run-down test, which entails looping a video with WiFi enabled and a fixed display brightness, the iPad mini managed an astounding 12 hours and 43 minutes. This gives it the longest battery life of any tablet we've ever tested, besting even the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 by 42 minutes. Indeed during the course of our testing the battery on the iPad mini exceeded our expectations, expectations that were already high thanks to the consistently great battery life offered by the iPad family."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/apple-ipad-mini-review/

I'm not positive it will get retina next year. Pretty sure it will stay a generation behind in the A-series chips to keep the full size positioned as the premium device. It will still be a fairly difficult engineering problem to get a 2048x1536 display that lasts 10 hours in this device even next year, unless there's an unlikely in-between res solution. Hope it happens though.

What are the chances I can grab one in store over the weekend? Petty good availability from what I can tell.

I'd honestly be happy with an A6 and same res for next year. I don't think they will go retina next year either. Perhaps they will keep this in line with their other Mac products where you have the non-retina MacBook Air and the retina MacBook Pro?

I always go naked with Apple products. Wrapping them up in some janky case sucks. A sleeve is about as far as I will go.

LCfiner

If it launched with either A6 or retina, I'd have bought one to replace my iPad2. I am in for the Mini2 or whatever it will be called. GAF gif threads just destroy my iPad. :(

The A6 really helps with gifs on the iphone 5. it won't work miracles with 10 MB monsters, but it's noticeably faster than the ipad 3.

almost makes me want to reconsider my "no ipad 4" stance...

For those that essentially replaced their laptops with the iPad, I can't see them thinking the mini is a legit option, but for those that still use their laptop alot it makes sense (when the retina mini comes out)

jts

...hate me...
Which also means even better battery life. 12-13 hours.
Amazing. That happens in tandem with the smaller display I'm guessing. One thing bothered me though, it ships with the 5W wall charger of the iPhone. Is it known already if it charges faster or not with the iPad's 10/12W power adapter?

For those that essentially replaced their laptops with the iPad, I can't see them thinking the mini is a legit option, but for those that still use their laptop alot it makes sense (when the retina mini comes out)

Pretty much describes me. When the iPad was my main computing device, I needed the size. But once we got the MacBook Pro, the Mini is a perfect companion now.

iPad Mini isn't getting even warm. I've been loading apps, watching videos, reading, browsing etc. The USB adapter when I plugged this thing in to charge though got really warm. No biggie at all. The screen isn't terrible, but it is the one glaring flaw as I stated before. It's not awful by any means. But the device, as Gary said, is sex. It just feels right. It's slippery though, so be careful. The black is beautiful. I'm going naked except for the front, so I'll let you know if it ever scuffs. I baby my stuff, as does my daughter, so I doubt this is going to be an issue.

Tobor

The A6 really helps with gifs on the iphone 5. it won't work miracles with 10 MB monsters, but it's noticeably faster than the ipad 3.

almost makes me want to reconsider my "no ipad 4" stance...

Almost. I think I'm still going to wait for 5th gen. It should hopefully have design elements like the mini at full size.

Pachimari

Is it relatively hard to snap it on aligned correctly?
It's not the snap on that's the problem to me. The problem is, that it never stays aligned, so the cover actually moves while you hold the Mini. It's terrible.

Also, would any of you guys keep both a Mini AND iPad 2 if you got no wife or kids?

I'm actually thinking of selling my iPad 2 to a person right now but I need some quick feedback.

Shanks

Wait. So is it possible to just walk into an Apple store and grab a mini right now? I have one ordered on Apples site but need to wait like two weeks. I'd rather bop in and grab one today!

Just tried out an iPad mini at the Montreal main store. They only had a few demo units but they weren't being swamped either

Great:
-Immediately gave me the same "is it really this light?" feeling as the iPhone 5
-Ridiculously thin/small, but still feels really usable and immediate
-Portrait keyboard feels like a massive improvement to me (due to the size of the iPad, really), it's all accessible and I don't have to shift my grip

Ehh
-Can notice the resolution difference, it's minimized by the shrunk screen vs. iPad2 but if you work with Retina devices already you're probably going to be constantly reminded of that difference
-I did have some problems with the bezel; holding from the left side means part of my thumb is sometimes on the screen. I think I managed to load the mail app 3 times out of 4 which I guess can be attributed to the palm cancellation stuff Apple is doing, but it's still not ideal. I think this is probably the big consideration going forward for app developers - how do you handle multitouch?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just tried out an iPad mini at the Montreal main store. They only had a few demo units but they weren't being swamped either

Great:
-Immediately gave me the same "is it really this light?" feeling as the iPhone 5
-Ridiculously thin/small, but still feels really usable and immediate
-Portrait keyboard feels like a massive improvement to me (due to the size of the iPad, really), it's all accessible and I don't have to shift my grip

Ehh
-Can notice the resolution difference, it's minimized by the shrunk screen vs. iPad2 but if you work with Retina devices already you're probably going to be constantly reminded of that difference
-I did have some problems with the bezel; holding from the left side means part of my thumb is sometimes on the screen. I think I managed to load the mail app 3 times out of 4 which I guess can be attributed to the palm cancellation stuff Apple is doing, but it's still not ideal. I think this is probably the big consideration going forward for app developers - how do you handle multitouch?

Put your thumb up against the side edge, not on the screen, with the corner resting in your palm.

Or put your thumb flat along the bezel on the bottom.

Either works great with the weight.

Put your thumb up against the side edge, not on the screen, with the corner resting in your palm.

Or put your thumb flat along the bezel on the bottom.

Either works great with the weight.

Probably. I was just remarking on my natural "don't think about it" grip. And telling people how to hold their iPad in a game tutorial is generally not a good idea, so it will be interesting to see how different apps respond to the bezel change going forward.

Perhaps Apple will adopt this asymmetric bezel for the next full size iPad. If the software is so good at dealing with thumbs resting near the edge, then it might be alright, and will certainly be a nice design change. But it's a minor thing compared to the weight, which I'm really hoping will drop significantly.

bob page

Probably. I was just remarking on my natural "don't think about it" grip. And telling people how to hold their iPad in a game tutorial is generally not a good idea, so it will be interesting to see how different apps respond to the bezel change going forward.
I initally had the same issue with the Nexus 7- I was holding it the same was as my iPad 2. Because of the smaller form factor, it's pretty much essential that you adjust the way you hold such a device.

Perhaps Apple will adopt this asymmetric bezel for the next full size iPad. If the software is so good at dealing with thumbs resting near the edge, then it might be alright, and will certainly be a nice design change. But it's a minor thing compared to the weight, which I'm really hoping will drop significantly.

I think there's basically no chance they substantially reduce bezel on the 10" model. The only way they can pull that off is if they reduce the physical size of the batteries they use, and that itself won't happen first; it's more likely that they will use thinner (lighter) batteries instead.

Don't get me wrong though, I too fondly recall the iPad2 for it's weight/size; hopefully the next chassis brings us back to that.

I think there's basically no chance they substantially reduce bezel on the 10" model. The only way they can pull that off is if they reduce the physical size of the batteries they use, and that itself won't happen first; it's more likely that they will use thinner (lighter) batteries instead.

Don't get me wrong though, I too fondly recall the iPad2 for it's weight/size; hopefully the next chassis brings us back to that.
Surely if they are able to use thinner batteries, they could also have them thicker and not as wide?

But yeah, going back to iPad 2 is barely good enough I reckon. I'm hoping for a good 50g under iPad 2, otherwise I might have to switch to a Mini next time round.

Gorramit GAF, stop making me want an iPad mini =/

Gonna go to the Apple Store this weekend to pick up a Mac Mini and to check out both the iPad Mini and the 4th Gen iPad. I promised my wallet I'd only get the Mac Mini, but it is deathly afraid nonetheless.

Surely if they are able to use thinner batteries, they could also have them thicker and not as wide?

But yeah, going back to iPad 2 is barely good enough I reckon. I'm hoping for a good 50g under iPad 2, otherwise I might have to switch to a Mini next time round.

I'm not a chem major but I've always understood with Li-Poly surface area is more advantageous for capacity. (And if not I think Apple is more interested in a thinner iPad than reducing bezel anyway)

Gorramit GAF, stop making me want an iPad mini =/

Gonna go to the Apple Store this weekend to pick up a Mac Mini and to check out both the iPad Mini and the 4th Gen iPad. I promised my wallet I'd only get the Mac Mini, but it is deathly afraid nonetheless.

Uh...stay out of the store. It's something of a candyland for your credit card right now with new models of iPhones, iMacs, and iPads everywhere. Something will be neglected and you *will* gravitate towards it, credit card in hand

The waiting game is gonna be rough for me, I have over 1k in amazon credit (took advantage of the absurd trade in values on PS1 and Xbox games they had a couple weeks back)...now to wait for third parties to start selling em in the marketplace.

Ovid

I know this isn't an iPad 4 thread, but I just wanted to give some iPad 4 impressions:
- I think the initial startup animation was a little different than an iPad 3 (after the Apple logo, there was kind of like an animated whoosh type thing)
- Looks exactly like an iPad 3
- Lightning connector
- Still gets warm on the back, hard to say if they've mitigated the problem versus iPad 3 but it doesn't seem worse
- Everything pretty much loads instantly, but I don't have anything that really taxes the machine so I can't compare that much to iPad 3 in that respect
Thanks for review. I plan to pick either this or the Mini up this weekend (most likely the 4)

Question, see bolded - Is this that big a deal? Was the 3 so warm to the touch that it is/was intolerable to hold?

Ugh, woke up sick so I'm sitting around working from home on the couch. Come on FedEx guy I need a pick me up!
Yeah, sure. We're a family here. No need to lie to us :p

Get better soon.

Top Bottom