• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Question, see bolded - Is this that big a deal? Was the 3 so warm to the touch that it is/was intolerable to hold?

No, it's never intolerable like you might get with a laptop running at full blast. But "noticeably warm" was a big difference from the iPad 2's "chill in almost all conditions". You can make most iOS devices at least somewhat warm by hammering them with games for hours but the iPad3 was the first to make warm->very warm possible through average use.

And that's a problem because it wears out the internal components faster?
not really lol. It's important to remember with apple devices that they're usually so well thought out and constructed, that every time there is a noticeable weirdness/difference/flaw in anything it'll be made out to look like a big deal.

It's just like Crazy said, it was nothing more than noticeably warmer than the ipad 2.

Ovid

not really lol. It's important to remember with apple devices that they're usually so well thought out and constructed, that every time there is a noticeable weirdness/difference/flaw in anything it'll be made out to look like a big deal.

It's just like Crazy said, it was nothing more than noticeably warmer than the ipad 2.
Oh, okay.

Pachimari

Kindle books and magazines like Game Reactor and EDGE are EASY to read on the iPad Mini display. I'm now gonna test out the Zinio app magazines.

icespide

Banned
played with one during lunch today at an apple store. it is really really nice, love the way the black looks. I can't go back from retina but my wife is definitely getting one

LaneDS

As those in the thread thought, was able to easily walk into an Apple Store and pick up a 32GB WiFi iPad 4 today. First time iPad owner and am still not sure I made the right call but it was pretty cool to have it in my hands once it was out of the box. Have a few flights tonight so I am going to try and get some cool stuff on it before that time.

Ryck

Gonna let fate decide, the wife and I are headed to Best Buy in a bit, might walk out with two Minis if they have em in stock.

Pachimari

As I bought a 32GB iPad Mini instead of a 16GB, I have now sold my iPad 2. I couldn't see a need for 2 iPads in my current situation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just dont buy a current one. Even if they paint it black. Performance is pretty sketchy on them. I'm hoping the next revision will improve that in a big way.
Nah, I got a new Air this year knowing full well that a Retina 13" would be coming and that it'd be a Rev A model. I look forward to the Rev B or C models. They'll more than likely be much better.

bedlamite

What kind of protection does everybody have for their Mini?

Looking to pick up a black 16GB this weekend, that black finish looks too nice to be hidden in some tacky leather case. I might pick up a Dodocase when they come out but nothing else appeals to me

Figures that would be the first to go. I'm glad I went 32gb because I can easily see this becoming the iPad I use most.

oh gary got one? Maybe i should get into this screenwriter business... hope you didn't get an ipad 4 too... right?

Are there demo units out in apple stores yet? Am curious about the form factor.

any impressions of reading comics on it? Comixology is pretty much my most used app on my ipad 3, and I definitely like being able to read most comics without having to use the guided view. Curious to see if you can still make out a full page on the smaller screen.

Pachimari

What kind of protection does everybody have for their Mini?

Looking to pick up a black 16GB this weekend, that black finish looks too nice to be hidden in some tacky leather case. I might pick up a Dodocase when they come out but nothing else appeals to me
I'm always going naked. I'll just carry the Mini in my hand everywhere.
The thing about the Mini is, that it feels so PERSONAL, like a journal almost.

any impressions of reading comics on it? Comixology is pretty much my most used app on my ipad 3, and I definitely like being able to read most comics without having to use the guided view. Curious to see if you can still make out a full page on the smaller screen.
I'm thinking of trying out my comics on the Mini. Is Comixology the best comic reader?

I'm always going naked. I'll just carry the Mini in my hand everywhere.
The thing about the Mini is, that it feels so PERSONAL, like a journal almost.

I'm thinking of trying out my comics on the Mini. Is Comixology the best comic reader?
to buy + read comics then yes comixology is the best, to load up your own nothing beats ComicZeal for reading.

Cheebo

Banned
oh gary got one? Maybe i should get into this screenwriter business... hope you didn't get an ipad 4 too... right?

Are there demo units out in apple stores yet? Am curious about the form factor.

Gary is getting paid the big bucks to write the new Star Wars trilogy.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Damn this thread.

U1oLEl.jpg

buhdeh

So I went to the Apple store to try it out thinking I might sell my iPad 3 for it since I much prefer the smaller form factor. I have to say the screen (in my eyes) is pretty horrific. The demo models have a calendar notification in NC and the "18" there is very noticeably pixelated/blurry. The build quality is very nice though. Much better looking than the iPad 3/4. Needless to say, I won't be selling my 3 because the screen is just not very good IMO.

Other than that, I like that you can actually type normally when holding it now because I hate typing on the iPad 3 unless it's lying down.

Ugh... I have a 3 but I would probably go 16gb just to make it my sole Comixology reader.

Damn this is tempting but I'd prefer to hold out for Mini 2...

Alchemy

I just realized that the smart cover I bought is the same exact color as the sheet I'm wrapped in while working on my couch. I'm confused.

D6AMIA6N

Trying to resist, but damn. Already alerted family members and close coworkers that I'm looking to unload my iPad 2. If it sells, I'll probably join the Mini club, if not I'll hold out for the Mini 2.

Ugh... I have a 3 but I would probably go 16gb just to make it my sole Comixology reader.

Damn this is tempting but I'd prefer to hold out for Mini 2...

I think if you're coming from a 3 you will change your mind once you see the screen. I love the form factor but just can't get around that screen when I saw it in person

Hopefully the iPad Mini retains some value so I can upgrade to the 2nd generation next year.

I just have a lot of use for a tablet right now, and this is going to be my first, so it's justifiable.

Alchemy

Yep this is what I'm talking about. Text is VERY bad on this thing. The screen on it seriously reminds me of using my iPhone 2G/3G and that is obviously not a good thing.

Compared to a retina device? Sure, but when I look at an iPad 1 or 2 I don't think the text looks bad on those devices and the mini has better DPI.

bob page

Yep this is what I'm talking about. Text is VERY bad on this thing. The screen on it seriously reminds me of using my iPhone 2G/3G and that is obviously not a good thing.
I don't understand why these reviews keep comparing it to the iPad 3. The screen is obvioisly worse, so for all other variables, it should be compared to the iPad 2 (or the N7, Kindle Fire HD, for that matter).

And then they're talking about the A5 being awful? What the hell? I haven't had an issue with any games on the App Store with that processor.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
When we get a retina version of this bad boy it will be worth the purchase. I don't think my eyes can handle that downgrade. Especially since I read pdfs a lot.

Great is a smaller iPad. Not so great the screen is inferior to the iPad 3 and iPad 4. Once it can get the same pixel density it is going to be a hell of a device.

I think if you're coming from a 3 you will change your mind once you see the screen. I love the form factor but just can't get around that screen when I saw it in person

That's the thing, I know I'm better off waiting for a retina-version as Comixology HD is a thing of beauty on my 3.

This though... I would probably get my mom it actually as it's just right for her. I'll get her one for Christmas probably while I myself wait for Mini 2 or whatever version will be retina.

Gannd

Banned
I don't understand why these reviews keep comparing it to the iPad 3. The screen is obvioisly worse, so for all other variables, it should be compared to the iPad 2.

And then they're talking about the A5 being awful? What the hell? I haven't had an issue with any games on the App Store with that processor.

I am glad they are comparing it to the iPad 3. The Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 and the rest of the smaller field were and they should be. If we have this awesome display (iPad 3) we should want the awesome device (iPad Mini) to have that awesome display. It is a draw back.

I am going to be on the retina display iPad Mini like white on rice.

buhdeh

Compared to a retina device? Sure, but when I look at an iPad 1 or 2 I don't think the text looks bad on those devices and the mini has better DPI.

I never had the iPad 1/2 but I do have the 3. And with the resolution on competitor products and hell even Apple's own, I just don't think the 1024x768 screen is acceptable anymore. I mean, would you go back to the iPhone 3G screen to get an ultra thin iPhone? I wouldn't.

It's great if you can get past the resolution but I just can't anymore. Maybe next year but I fear selling my iPad 3 won't even cover the cost of the mini by then.

I don't understand why these reviews keep comparing it to the iPad 3. The screen is obvioisly worse, so for all other variables, it should be compared to the iPad 2 (or the N7, Kindle Fire HD, for that matter).

OK, compared to the nexus 7 the 7 screen still looks better :) Seriously though, I played with an n7 after I left the Apple store this morning.

Still waiting for Mr UPS Man to bring me the goods.

I honesty don't think I'll give a shit about the screen res. I'm still rocking my iPad 1 and this will be sharper than that, so I should be just fine.

Retina ipad mini is going to easily be the defacto perfect tablet to own.

But for a whole year I will enjoy the ipad mini, then when retina ipad comes out I will sell it and get the retina mini for half-price. All will be well with the world. It's not one revision vs the other for me. I'll find a way to get both. I'm also not a huge screen stickler....yet.

Top Bottom