• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's amazing how many people can't deal with a non-retina display now. It's like having to look at one is worse than having their eyeballs gouged out with hot pokers. How did they ever get by before the iPhone 4 came out?

So the big advantage that the iphone 4 had when it was released and the ipad 3 was released, is magically no longer a big deal? Cool.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
It's amazing how many people can't deal with a non-retina display now. It's like having to look at one is worse than having their eyeballs gouged out with hot pokers. How did they ever get by before the iPhone 4 came out?

Yeah the lack of retina is certainly noticeable but I read a lot of books and magazines on my iPad 2 so it hasn't been hard for me to adjust. The smaller form factor is much, much nicer.

leng jai

It's not amazing at all really. If you give people huge improvements then take it away after a 6 months then it's inevitable people are going to complain. They might get used to it after a while but this was always going to be the initial reaction from the enthusiast market. It also doesn't help that Apple hasn't shut up about Retina since they released the iPhone 4.

I think I'm going to get a black iPod Touch this year to satisfy my gadget envy. Thing is gorgeous and hey someone has to buy them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

it was so resolutionary that it changed everyone's minds

Well, I was using the 3GS until the 4S came out so when I finally got used to retina, I can't ever go back to using my 3GS. Same with my iPad 3, I was used to my family/friends' iPads prior to 3 and then when I got my 3, nothing comes close for when I read magazine, comics & write articles.

With Comixology's HD issues, text & panels are just as clear (maybe clearer) as my physical floppy copies, thanks to retina.

So yes, if I got the mini now for myself it would kinda be a downgrade as I will be using the mini solely as my comic reader.

But I will be getting this for my mom so she will be perfectly fine with the text as it is.

I don't see what's so hard to believe about being accustomed to high pixel density screens and not wanting to take a step backwards.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Why is it so hard to believe that people wouldn't want to go back to lower resolution?

Sky Chief

Yeah, kind of like how people don't buy SDTVs anymore. Once technology advances we don't go backwards.

toohectic

Checked out the mini today... absolutely loved it. The black one was just gorgeous. As someone else said, it just felt more personal than the full size iPad. The weight and thickness was super nice, and I didn't mind the non-retina display at all despite having both a 4S and an iPad 3. I was this close to bringing one home, but they were all out of 32GB blacks.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Except for 90% of the computer monitors that people use for hours each day without their eyes bleeding and their heads exploding?

What is your argument here? That people who don't want to buy an iPad mini because of its resolution are wrong?

Appleman

What is your argument here? That people who don't want to buy an iPad mini because of its resolution are wrong?

No, just that there's a ridiculous amount of hyperbole with regards to how much the resolution detracts from the experience. Yeah, it's lower resolution and that could be a deal breaker for some people but anyone on the fence who hasn't seen it yet should really check it out in person first because the awesome form factor of the device could easily outweigh the lower resolution that was necessary to make it happen.

Bigfoot

I have decided to get the Mini even though I haven't seen it yet. The price was holding me back but I'm caving. As much as I know that the Nexus 7 is a much better deal with better hardware in some ways, I'm just too invested in iOS and I like the idea of a slightly bigger screen. Most 7" screens just seem a tad too small for me.

Now to just see if I can find one at Future Shop this week...

japtor

It's not amazing at all really. If you give people huge improvements then take it away after a 6 months then it's inevitable people are going to complain. They might get used to it after a while but this was always going to be the initial reaction from the enthusiast market. It also doesn't help that Apple hasn't shut up about Retina since they released the iPhone 4.
They shut up about retina about 6 months after the iPhone 4 when the iPad 2 came out...and people said pretty much the same thing about the iPad 2 screen as they're saying about the iPad mini screen now.

bob page

The resolution won't sway people like my parents away from it. The price most definitely will though.
I don't think the price will be a factor once people see the device with their own eyes. Rather, I think many will actually see the 10" iPads as being overpriced now, considering the cost/benefit for the average consumer. Most people will be using it for browsing, etc and may not be able to justify the $170 premium now- they can get a device for $330 that does everything they need, has a great form factor, and is still an iPad.

6 months ago, people didn't even think the iPad 3 could be $500 because a retina display would be so ridiculously amazing.

Now they can't understand why they can't get the same resolution for $199-249 in a lighter 8" tablet.

renitou

And 12 months from now, people will be looking at their first generation iPad minis in disgust as the next iteration is unveiled, unable to understand how they ever put up with it to begin with. So it goes. ;-)

mrkgoo

You have to realise that once you have tasted superior, it can be difficult to go back.

Happens with computer speed, resolution, everything.

And 12 months from now, people will be looking at their first generation iPad minis in disgust as the next iteration is unveiled, unable to understand how they ever put up with it to begin with. So it goes. ;-)

don't forget the "A new Mini already? I just got mine 8 months ago fuck you Apple!" posts.

dwebo

So how do all these people stand using regular computer monitors now?

you sit a lot further back + font smoothing? text on my laptop or desktop looks a lot better than on the ipad2 or my old iphone2g

text on a retina macbook (15) looks better than on the retina ipad/iphone, despite being a lower ppi, for those reasons as well

Sheer will right now. I sit further back when looking at my computer screen at work, but I'm finding my eyes seem to be getting tired more easily as brightness is up all the way and the fonts are smoother.

I already wear glasses but I can look at my 4S & iPad 3 longer than my computer screen.

So yeah...

lol it's genuinely fascinating on a scientific level for me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Got a good time on my first cycle.
Took exactly 4 hours and 35 mins to go from 1% to 100% on the 5w charger.

Don't think I'll buy the 12w now. I usually charge overnight anyway when I need to.

8156778061_3e9e6d4213_b.jpg

bananas

Banned

I didn't say I couldn't get used to it. The monitor I'm looking at right now isn't that great.

I'd just rather have an iPad 9.7" with a higher resolution display than a 7.9" one with a less display. Once the 7.9" has a comparable display, I will get it.

Depends. I can look at my mom's ipad 2 and not have my eyes burned out. But due to the text size being smaller on the mini, i do have to move my face closer which makes the PIXELS more noticeable.

Apath

What? I'm pretty sure there's many people in this thread that read more words per day on their PCs than on any other device they own...
Reading websites is fundamentally different from reading a novel. With a novel your eyes are literally glued to the book, focusing on text, sometimes for hours. When I view a website(s), I look away from time to time or do other things. At the very least I am never constantly focused on text for extended periods of time.

What? I'm pretty sure there's many people in this thread that read more words per day on their PCs than on any other device they own...

Viewing text across multiple constantly changing web pages, apps, programs etc isn't remotely the same on the eyes as staring at one screen constantly while reading a book. Your eyes rest far more while simply using a computer than they do when focusing on a book.

mrkgoo

You deal with it.

*shrugs*

It's like going to a browser without tabs or something.

At work I use Windows XP and internet explorer 8, I can't stand it, but I deal with it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
6 months ago, people didn't even think the iPad 3 could be $500 because a retina display would be so ridiculously amazing.

Now they can't understand why they can't get the same resolution for $199-249 in a lighter 8" tablet.

Yeah its pretty crazy. But, you know standards change. etc.
I dunno, whenever this thing does get the retina resolution its gonna be bonkers, because the iphone pixel density is definitely much noticeably better than the iPad3. Assuming thats what the do, etc..

Vyer

I think it's understandable when people get used to something like 'retina' for it to really stand out when they aren't looking at it. Though I guess it's easy to forget that there are a lot of people who never got the opportunity to 'get used to' that.

I can't really speak on it as I use my Kindle for reading, but if you do spend a lot of time looking at text I'd imagine it the change in resolution stands out even more.

But yeah, there are plenty of non retina displays out there used in a multitude of devices on a daily basis with no problem so I'm pretty sure it's not going to be much of issue for a lot of folks.

I do think it's funny that back when the new ipad came out that in the usual mobile os warz scuffles people would throw out those 'These customers were told an iPad 2 was the 3 and they couldn't tell the difference!' videos and stories to downplay the retina upgrade. Oh what a difference 7 months makes.

Carlisle

I played with one at an Apple store today and I gotta say its pretty hot. I thought it was a dumb uninspired ripoff when it was announced but playing with one in person is a whole other thing. The res doesn't even seem that bad. I hate how good Apple is at the "experience." Made me do a complete 180 and will probably invert my wallet as well.

Log4Girlz

I used to love the OG Gameboy. Just sayin'.

Glad to see this thing is nice. I love how big my iPad 2 is though, so I don't see myself wanting a Mini. I do want a retina iPad though, I bet I'll grab a 3 or 4 at some point down the line.

MajorPain

Went to apple store in Skokie, IL on Saturday for my daughter to pick her up a white 16gb mini ended up walking out with 2.

This will easily become my most used gadget.

Pachimari

I just sold my iPad 3 to a relative; thinking that I no longer needed one since I got my Air, but I am seriously considering buying a mini. Are these thoughts crazy or should I really consider it?

Also: has anyone used Edge magazine (Newsstand) on the mini yet? And how is it?
It looks great. Not hard to read at all.

Top Bottom