• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

jts

...hate me...
Can't find one myself one either. The only store that still had one, it was a 64GB... not what I want or need right now.

Want 16GB black, might bite 32GB if it comes down to it.

Apath

All of the stores around me are perpetually in a state of unavailability. I hope Ill be able to get one by next week. I'd even settle for a 32gb model at this point.

D6AMIA6N

I have a Portenzo BookCase for my 2, and it is excellent. Very high quality, well made, just a great case. However, I think putting that case on the Mini would add unnecessary weight. Instead, I ordered the HardBack, which is the same case, but without the wood frame.

EDIT: Why don't you guys just order one from Apple direct, beats the constant hunting in my opinion, but you will need to wait.

hyp

sounds like the mini is one or those word of mouth products that have a slow buildup. this thing is gonna obliterate the holiday rush.

kr2t0s

Check store.apple.com after 10 p.m. for instore pickup availability. Did that on Saturday - picked mine up on Sunday without waiting in any line.

D6AMIA6N

sounds like the mini is one or those word of mouth products that have a slow buildup. this thing is gonna obliterate the holiday rush.

If it's selling out now, it certainly won't get any better the nearer we get to the Holidays. I say place an order online and hope for the best, unless you have the time and patience to search locally. Good luck GAF!

Check store.apple.com after 10 p.m. for instore pickup availability. Did that on Saturday - picked mine up on Sunday without waiting in any line.

Tried yesterday and today with no luck, and that includes the surrounding states of South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, and Kentucky.

Zeth

Whoa got lucky. After failing at the Apple store I checked online stock at Target and found a 16gb black, picked up on the way home.

Darko

Ars posted their review: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/the-skinny-on-the-mini-its-not-the-size-that-counts

Now I'm glad I stayed away, I was going to mostly use it for reading and well..

Mini:
2w7J8.jpg

iPad:
y6qDZ.jpg

i can read both.. whats the big deal. :)

Zeth

I could see the one 16gb in the glass case. I think I startled the employee nearby; I speed walked to him very excitedly assuming everyone nearby could be a potential enemy.

You know what's weird? I got my iPad 4 yesterday and my OG iPad can finally fulfill its purpose as XMBC remote in my living room.

Now I'm thinking about getting a mini to replace the OG iPad in my living room.

Something's wrong with me. So very wrong.

MRORANGE

I'm starting to see dinks on my mini, not on the back but on the edges, seems to scratch pretty easy.

New case time me thinks

grkazan12

After thinking about it for a couple of days, I would say that I agree with John Gruber's idea that the iPad and the mini will play out like the iPods from the early naughts. Mini will become the more popular and best selling model while the iPad will continue to sell in a strong fashion. The non retina aspect of the mini is a bummer, but whenever it gets retina it will be the defacto tablet. A little broad but couple that with iVEos and apple could be heading into some interesting places in the next couple of years.

A little off topic, but what happened to those TV rumors?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well just returned my 16GB black. I am sure it will get snapped up shortly.
Why did you return it? Was the screen that bad? I will be playing with it first before I commit, but unless the screen is magically worse than my iPad 2, I can't see myself not getting one. I just love the smallness.

Still planning to wait for the nigh-inevitable Retina update, but once that happens I'm ditching my full-size iPad for the mini and never looking back.

zou

I really don't get the whole whining about the low dpi display. If retina wouldn't be a considerable trade off in terms of weight, size, performance, battery and temperature I'd obviously prefer the nicer display. But considering the various issues with the retina iPad'a, not having a retina display actually made me choose the mini in the first place.

As far as the mini goes, was pleasantly surprise with the performance. My iPad 2 had become a slow, lagging pos, the mini seems to deal better with the limited memory. Other than that, I was surprised by how well the mini works in landscape. Superior to the big iPad in every single way.

Oh and the covers are a pathetic joke. Flimsy, over priced pos that doesn't even fit properly. Probably just gonna use it as a stand for movies. Pretty much the exact opposite of how I felt with the big cover..

Ryck

So how are you guys getting better battery life? I have 9% left with 8 hours and 22 minutes of usage, that's damn good but I have noticed some of you are getting way more. I have my brightness at about 60%, auto off, Bluetooth off, location services off and most notifications off aside from a few apps.

*I was using a higher brightness for about half of that usage. Will have to test it out with the lower brightness after my next full charge.

MRORANGE

I knew this shit would happen. The diamond cut edge is so delicate. Is the raw aluminium showing through?

I've heard several reports of the new Smart Cover scratching the mini- look out people.

Indeed, I don't mind the odd dink here or there but it does seem that it will be a big problem and you do feel a bump when the material is scratched off.

I wished they went with a metal graphite edge like with the 1st gen ipod touch, I have one and it is scratched up and has dinks but still looks ok and you can't feel the edges of where it's been worn off:

here is a pic btw (I need to get a macro :|) :

W1Hg1.png

D6AMIA6N

Indeed, I don't mind the odd dink here or there but it does seem that it will be a big problem and you do feel a bump when the material is scratched off.

I wished they went with a metal graphite edge like with the 1st gen ipod touch, I have one and it is scratched up and has dinks but still looks ok and you can't feel the edges of where it's been worn off:

here is a pic btw (I need to get a macro :|) :

W1Hg1.png

Thank you very much for the heads up! Do you have any idea what may have caused it? Would anyone here recommend the white Mini as an alternative to avoid the issue altogether or is this happeing on the white as well?

MRORANGE

Thank you very much for the heads up! Do you have any idea what may have caused it? Would anyone here recommend the white Mini as an alternative to avoid the issue altogether or is this happeing on the white as well?

most likely the apple case did it :lol

it will happen to the white one but it will be less visible to see, pretty much the iphone 5 situation again.

D6AMIA6N

most likely the apple case did it :lol

it will happen to the white one but it will be less visible to see, pretty much the iphone 5 situation again.

That's pretty ridiculous, and ultimately effects the resale value. If the anodized color is able to be damaged by Apples own product that is just dumb. I cancelled my order and will wait and see what happens. Stupid design decision.

kr2t0s

I despise how the smart cover leaves two screen-long smudges down the middle of the screen. So hard to clean it off.

You do know the Smart Cover also doubles as a way to clean the screen as well? Fold it up in a triangle and squeegee away e screen to remove all dirt and grime.

You do know the Smart Cover also doubles as a way to clean the screen as well? Fold it up in a triangle and squeegee away e screen to remove all dirt and grime.

Not a chance in hell will I be doing that. The smart cover does nothing but collect dust and grime when it's pulled back from the screen and lays against the back of the iPad, thus opening it up to collecting whatever comes into contact with it. I sure don't want to rub all of that on my screen.

LCfiner

Where have you seen this? The cover is totally covered with fabric...how can it scratch?

maybe something gets stuck in between the fabric and the ipad? like how some iphone cases would let in sand or other hard particles and the glass could get scratched on the edges.

Top Bottom