• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

I've noticed the wireless meter on my Mini moving up and down constantly as close as 5 feet to the router. How does Apple keep releasing new hardware/OS with so many wireless issues? I can't remember anything I've purchased from them in the past 5 or so years that didn't require a wireless patch.

I've noticed the wireless meter on my Mini moving up and down constantly as close as 5 feet to the router. How does Apple keep releasing new hardware/OS with so many wireless issues? I can't remember anything I've purchased from them in the past 5 or so years that didn't require a wireless patch.
I've never had wireless problems except with my macbook air for a while, that was annoying.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Isn't it just people with a WPA/WPA2 encrypted network who have trouble with WiFi on iOS 5.x?

No, I have issues on 6.0.1 and 6.1 so they haven't fixed it yet.

It may be an encryption issue, though. I'll try turning off security and just use MAC filtering and see what happens.

Pachimari

Well I'm using WPA2 and my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini always disconnected until I updated to 6.0.1 and it totally fixed it. It haven't disconnected once since then.

I was at a bar yesterday, and I ordered a Caucasian....

Had the mini, tried to hook up to the bar's wifi, but it didn't work. My iphone5 hooked up no problem. I thought the mini's wireless went out, but it works at home and works at work.

The mini definitely has a problem. Needs a fix.

Indeed, I don't mind the odd dink here or there but it does seem that it will be a big problem and you do feel a bump when the material is scratched off.

I wished they went with a metal graphite edge like with the 1st gen ipod touch, I have one and it is scratched up and has dinks but still looks ok and you can't feel the edges of where it's been worn off:

here is a pic btw (I need to get a macro :|) :

W1Hg1.png

You know...I bought the 4th gen iPad the other week and I have a similar chip at the very top. Brand new. It must happen during assembly?

It was a little disheartening at first since otherwise the device is flawless. But I'm not going to return it for something so vain.

bob page

I was at a bar yesterday, and I ordered a Caucasian....

Had the mini, tried to hook up to the bar's wifi, but it didn't work. My iphone5 hooked up no problem. I thought the mini's wireless went out, but it works at home and works at work.

The mini definitely has a problem. Needs a fix.

My 4S has this same issue ever since iOS 6- certain wireless settings will cause the connection to drop all the time (or not even connect at all).

LaneDS

Apologies since this is technically the Mini thread, but I wanted to post to say how amazed I am by the iPad 4's battery life... totally trounces my iPhone 5 and essentially every iPhone I've owned in the past (3G, 4, 5). Essentially only use it for games and browsing, about 50% brightness (or higher) and the thing just excels. Not sure if it just has a much larger battey inside (which would make sense given the size of course) or if it's because it isn't carrying out any phone/cellular data functions (wifi model), but I'm suitably impressed.

Aside from not being used to the weight/size of the thing yet, I think it's great.

Apologies since this is technically the Mini thread, but I wanted to post to say how amazed I am by the iPad 4's battery life... totally trounces my iPhone 5 and essentially every iPhone I've owned in the past (3G, 4, 5). Essentially only use it for games and browsing, about 50% brightness (or higher) and the thing just excels. Not sure if it just has a much larger battey inside (which would make sense given the size of course) or if it's because it isn't carrying out any phone/cellular data functions (wifi model), but I'm suitably impressed.

Aside from not being used to the weight/size of the thing yet, I think it's great.

the iPad battery is HUGE compared to the iPhone

MilkLizard

I feel that way about my dead pixel, I go back and forth but I think I am just going to keep it. Nothing is ever perfect, right?

Dead pixel are the worst. I would change it. Hope mine will be alright. Delivery expected in ten days...

Ryck

Dead pixel are the worst. I would change it. Hope mine will be alright. Delivery expected in ten days...
Luckily it is in the lower corner and I don't really see it much. Anyone know how long I can wait before I take it back to Apple? Also I bought it at Best Buy, will Apple still replace it or do I have to go through BB?

Vyer

I think you have a year unless you got AppleCare.

If you're just exchanging/getting service, you can take it to the Apple Store.

Ryck

I think you have a year unless you got AppleCare.

If you're just exchanging/getting service, you can take it to the Apple Store.
Excellent thank you, guess I will take it back then. I will most likely wait till after the holidays since I am sure stock will be low.

My 4S has this same issue ever since iOS 6- certain wireless settings will cause the connection to drop all the time (or not even connect at all).

Yeah, I kept seeing it grab an IP address in the details for the connection, but nothing worked.

iPhone5 grabbed the connection just fine. the 5 did it every time. The Mini did it no times. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it, it's the first time it's happened.

For better or for worse, I just cancelled my Mini order.

Originally I ordered a white one and was supposed to get it sometime next week. Then I had a change of mind and switched to black and my delivery was pushed back to the 27th.

I thought on it and...I'm pretty well sure this thing will get a Retina display in 6-8 months. I originally ordered it for work, but Xcode has a great emulator so I felt I could take the hit and wait it out.

That Ars review sort of convinced me. I'm sure the display is great on the Mini but...This is Apple...It's going to get Retina sometime this year. I just grabbed the 4th gen iPad so I'll be cool for a while in regards to personal use.

bob page

That Ars review sort of convinced me. I'm sure the display is great on the Mini but...This is Apple...It's going to get Retina sometime this year. I just grabbed the 4th gen iPad so I'll be cool for a while in regards to personal use.

I dunno, you could say that about any Apple device though and you'll keep waiting and waiting. Resale values are high enough where you can get rid of it before the next one comes out and pretty much break even.

Through the years of owning Apple devices, I've learned to just buy it, take good care of it & enjoy it, then get rid of it before the next model comes out.

Zeth

Such a solid and luxurious device physically. N7 really feels much cheaper after using it.

Edit: cancelled my white order that was shipping next week since I found a black 16gb in stock at a local target. Pretty happy with it, seems much less vulnerable to scuffing than my black iPhone 5 just because it has fewer sharp edges and small surfaces.

I played with the white in stores and really liked it. But the I much prefer the way the black disappears around the display for reading in the dark especially like in bed.

JayDub

Blah, I've decided against getting this iteration. Ill wait for next year's update. I keep gadgets for 3 or more years. If I get this, and the mini gets a Retina update next year, I *will* sell it to get it. With the Retina version, it'll be more future-proofed.

Such a solid and luxurious device physically. N7 really feels much cheaper after using it.

Edit: cancelled my white order that was shipping next week since I found a black 16gb in stock at a local target. Pretty happy with it, seems much less vulnerable to scuffing than my black iPhone 5 just because it has fewer sharp edges and small surfaces.

I played with the white in stores and really liked it. But the I much prefer the way the black disappears around the display for reading in the dark especially like in bed.

I had one of those and agree. I dressed up that Nexus to make it sexy, had friends loving the thing, but it can't play Cave shooters, it can't do Flipboard properly, and the ecosystem overall is still half-baked.

Zeth

Cave shooters feel beautiful on the Mini, especially my fav BP2 Black Label. And they look great too since the in-game resolution is 1024x768 max even on the HD games (some of them have retina assets in the menus).

Vyer

Excellent thank you, guess I will take it back then. I will most likely wait till after the holidays since I am sure stock will be low.

They usually have a seperate stock for replacements. At some point they may be 'refurbished' units, but honestly it's so early you probably will still be getting new.

And, to be honest, even if it wasn't the case Apple's refurbs are top notch anyway.

Yeah... Seriously thinking of returning the mini for a 4G iPad. Reading books and text (even on the neogaf web app) is painful once you've used a 3G ipad since retina came out.

Ryck

They usually have a seperate stock for replacements. At some point they may be 'refurbished' units, but honestly it's so early you probably will still be getting new.

And, to be honest, even if it wasn't the case Apple's refurbs are top notch anyway.
Thanks for the info, I called them and yeah they do have new replacements available. I have an appointment to get mine checked out in about an hour.

jts

...hate me...
I tried to return mine today (also to upgrade from 16 to 32GB) and the guy from the store said that Apple doesn't allow it. His explanation is that the warranty period starts from the moment the device is activated and for that reason Apple doesn't like returns.

Which is bullshit since the Apple Store accepts returns with no problems. I guess it's harder to keep track of that thing when we're talking about 3rd party retailers, but still.

He said he's giving them a call tomorrow and get back to me on that. Meh.

(mind you, this is not US)

kinggroin

Banned
Bringing mine back on Saturday.

I returned my 3rd gen initially with the intention of picking up the 4th gen, but due to Best Buy's gracious return policy, I decided to give the little tablet that could a try.

It only took a couple hours of use to realize that this wasn't going to work for me.

Positives:

1) incredibly light and easy to hold one handed.

2) stays nice and cold

3) really quick to charge (and fairly good battery to boot!)

4) this goes without saying, but the app selection is peerless.

5) incredibly smooth performer

Negatives:

1) Poor ppi (THE reason for being returned). Thing is, I've already been spoiled by android phones, iPhones, and newer tablets when it comes to the display. This is the first time where I can say the resolution being as low as it is, interfered with my enjoyment of the device for the majority of things I did. Comics with unique Fonts and fine print looked incredibly muddy, and sometimes unreadable without zooming. Browsing the web, GAF for instance, the text seems to dissolve randomly on different characters into the background. It's not dissimilar to clear type in windows being calibrated wrong. 2D games were mostly ok, but some 3D games looked pretty rough. Unfortunately my main usage is comic books and web browsing, and outside of the improvement in comfort, the overall experience was worse with the mini.

2) this was a shock for me considering the positives, but, the mini is a bitch to type with in portrait mode. Even with its light weight (and even distribution of it) the placement of the keyboard makes it that you feel like the iPad is incredibly top heavy (it isn't). This isn't helped by the new hard edged bezel that cuts into your palms! It's pretty, sure, but why not have the glass taper off towards the back instead of this hard lined stop where it meets the chrome?

3) I forgot this was essentially a tiny iPad 2. Couldn't open more than two apps before the first closed itself out :-( it's also painful seeing tabs reloading so quickly.

So there you have it.

While I think this is actually the ideal size for the iPad, the resolution no longer is. I'm sure though, I'll be first in line when a retina 2nd gen mini is announced.

kr2t0s

Typing in portrait was a chore for me also until I remembered iOS let's you split the keyboard and also move the split keyboard anywhere along the screen edge. So now my keyboard is split and about 40% up from the bottom. Feels much better now. More like typing on the iPhone.

bedlamite

I had one of those and agree. I dressed up that Nexus to make it sexy, had friends loving the thing, but it can't play Cave shooters, it can't do Flipboard properly, and the ecosystem overall is still half-baked.

The ecosystem is pretty much the main reason why I'll never buy another Android tablet until Google sorts it out. I had a Transformer for a year, loved the OS but you can only fuck around with widgets for so long. iOS is terribly dull and stale, but the quality of apps is its ecosystem is still leagues ahead of Android's. At this point I don't think the polish of Android apps will ever reach parity with iOS. Hell, Microsoft is just starting out with WinRT and even though they've got fuck all in the marketplace, most of the apps that are there already adhere to the Metro design language.

Back on topic, just got my black 16GB yesterday and she's a beauty. The bluish-black back looks wonderful but it's a serious fingerprint magnet. I can deal with the resolution (soon-to-be ex-iPad 2 owner) but having browser tabs continually reload while switching between them is a bit of a downer.

japtor

Typing in portrait was a chore for me also until I remembered iOS let's you split the keyboard and also move the split keyboard anywhere along the screen edge. So now my keyboard is split and about 40% up from the bottom. Feels much better now. More like typing on the iPhone.
And if you don't want the split keyboard you can pinch it back together anywhere on screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
had a play with one in an Apple store. First impressions are that its bloody light, and the text is ok. Very small text is still a bit blocky, but by no means a dealbreaker. But the lightness and ease of holding it in one hand feels amazing. I tend to use my ipad 3 resting on my lap while on the sofa.

Perfect size for reading ebooks, but if you read a ton I'd get a kindle. Magazines felt a bit small, at least the zinio style scanned ones. The more recent interactive ipad style ones with scrolling article text was better, and it feels a similar size to those compact issues you can get in airports etc.

does the mini have siri? Updated the kids' ipad 2 to ios 6 and they were disappointed they didn't get siri.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For better or for worse, I just cancelled my Mini order.

Originally I ordered a white one and was supposed to get it sometime next week. Then I had a change of mind and switched to black and my delivery was pushed back to the 27th.

I thought on it and...I'm pretty well sure this thing will get a Retina display in 6-8 months. I originally ordered it for work, but Xcode has a great emulator so I felt I could take the hit and wait it out.

can't see it myself. They switched to the fall for a reason, so I think you'll be waiting 12 months at least. And the big thing on the mini is weight - retina needs a big battery to drive the more power hungry screens. So they'll need yet another screen tech breakthrough before they bring retina to the mini.

plus there is always the possibility that they push the mini as the affordable option and keep it non-retina to allow for that. (Although current pricing does feel like they have room to slot retina in there using their normal 'increase specs, keep price the same' tactics)

bob page

Strange- I actually think the mini is by far the easiest iOS device to type on in portrait. My fingers are long so the iPhone is too cramped while it was too wide on the 10".

can't see it myself. They switched to the fall for a reason, so I think you'll be waiting 12 months at least. And the big thing on the mini is weight - retina needs a big battery to drive the more power hungry screens. So they'll need yet another screen tech breakthrough before they bring retina to the mini.

plus there is always the possibility that they push the mini as the affordable option and keep it non-retina to allow for that. (Although current pricing does feel like they have room to slot retina in there using their normal 'increase specs, keep price the same' tactics)

Maybe. But I have a Nexus 7 as well. And while perhaps not "full retina", for all intents and purposes it's retina. And that device is rather light. But more importantly, I wouldnt mind paying a premium for a retina mini if apple chooses to go that route. But I dont see that happening. Apple as of late has maintained its price points while introducing new features on its refreshes. We'll see.

Top Bottom