• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Mairu

Strange- I actually think the mini is by far the easiest iOS device to type on in portrait. My fingers are long so the iPhone is too cramped while it was too wide on the 10".

I don't have a problem typing on the iPhone, but I love typing on the Mini. The size is great for me.

does the mini have siri? Updated the kids' ipad 2 to ios 6 and they were disappointed they didn't get siri.

Siri is pretty awful anyway. Put the Google Search app on their device and witness how voice should really be done. If they have an iPad, put the Chrome browser on it and use the voice support included with the browser. Browser voice search doesnt talk to you, but it searches incredibly fast.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Siri is pretty awful anyway. Put the Google Search app on their device and witness how voice should really be done. If they have an iPad, put the Chrome browser on it and use the voice support included with the browser. Browser voice search doesnt talk to you, but it searches incredibly fast.

Awful for web searches, yes.
It's OS features and the IMDB/tickets/sports/weather options work as well as I need them to for now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I ordered my mini today. Who knows when it will be coming in. They had 32's and 64's but no 16's and I wasn't up to spending $100 more for 16GB I don't need. So now I wait.

They had just a black one for display and I could tell as soon as he pulled it out I was going to love it. It was so light and fluffy like air. They might as well just call it iPad Air. It makes my 1.4 pound iPad 2 feel extremely heavy. Even more so than the difference between my MacBook Pro and Air.

So I ordered my mini today. Who knows when it will be coming in. They had 32's and 64's but no 16's and I wasn't up to spending $100 more for 16GB I don't need. So now I wait.

They had just a black one for display and I could tell as soon as he pulled it out I was going to love it. It was so light and fluffy like air. They might as well just call it iPad Air. It makes my 1.4 pound iPad 2 feel extremely heavy. Even more so than the difference between my MacBook Pro and Air.

Welcome to the clan.

i think what rubs people the wrong way about the mini, or at least makes them unimpressed, is that it really does seem completely effortless from apple — like, they just stuck old ipad 2 parts into a case that looks like an ipod touch and didn't make any pricing breakthroughs. in fact, they charged more than most people expected, and way more than products that on paper are just as or more powerful with better screens.

but that's the thing, apple can get away with it because their design is difficult to fault and their tablet apps are unbeatable. the result is that they have by far the best product in this category, now, almost without even trying. a category they only entered because of the competition! it's kind of unfair.

Mairu

I'm really impressed with the battery life so far.

A7Ueg8_CAAAdStK.png
Gonna keep on using it normally until it dies...

Should i get rid of my ipad 3 and get the ipad mini? the ipad 3 sucks ball, its so choppy when scrolling on both safari and chrome when i visits sites like the Verge or Engadget.

Mairu

Should i get rid of my ipad 3 and get the ipad mini? the ipad 3 sucks ball, its so choppy when scrolling on both safari and chrome when i visits sites like the Verge or Engadget.

Why not get a 4th gen iPad? If performance is what you're looking for, seems like the best bet now- though I haven't had any issues with the Mini.

Dazzla

I'm returning my black 16GB. I've had no scuffs yet but I'm too worried. I'm gonna switch it out for a white one, I'll just have to wait for it.

Gonna try and return my iPhone 5 to apple as well, I've exceeded the two weeks so I can't just initiate it online. I'll have to try and phone them.

solarus

So i just got this thing and... Wow, i love it! After hearing so many hyperbolic statements about how terrible this screen is, it really isn't as bad as people say and I own an ipad 3. It is a noticable drop in the clarity from retina, but it is by no means a deal breaker. Will be selling my ipad 3 and making this my main. This form factor is just perfect. I got black and while i love it, the back seems to be a magnet for fingerprint marks.

For the most part battery life has been solid on my Mini until I started playing Angry Birds Star Wars. Wow, that game just eats the battery like no other game does. A half hour of playing and I lose 10 percent battery life.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the most part battery life has been solid on my Mini until I started playing Angry Birds Star Wars. Wow, that game just eats the battery like no other game does. A half hour of playing and I lose 10 percent battery life.
Is it the same way on the other iPad's? Like the 2? I don't remember ever having that bad of battery life playing any Angry Birds games. When I get my mini, there's going to be a lot of testing. I never gave my iPad a real battery test.

D6AMIA6N

Just wanted to say bye. Bought a 4th gen today. Retina didn't mean much to me until today. Really impressed. Enjoy the Mini guys!

Is it the same way on the other iPad's? Like the 2? I don't remember ever having that bad of battery life playing any Angry Birds games. When I get my mini, there's going to be a lot of testing. I never gave my iPad a real battery test.

I don't have another iPad to test Star Wars on, but I dont recall older AB games being an issue on the iPad 3.

Just wanted to say bye. Bought a 4th gen today. Retina didn't mean much to me until today. Really impressed. Enjoy the Mini guys!

I have a 4th gen I could return to BB, so I bought a mini to play around with at home to see if I could stomach the screen thinking I could return one or the other. Text is just too blurry in the Kindle app on the mini, so I think it's a no-go. Love the size and weight though.

D6AMIA6N

I don't have another iPad to test Star Wars on, but I dont recall older AB games being an issue on the iPad 3.

I'll give it a rip and report back

I have a 4th gen I could return to BB, so I bought a mini to play around with at home to see if I could stomach the screen thinking I could return one or the other. Text is just too blurry in the Kindle app on the mini, so I think it's a no-go. Love the size and weight though.

EDIT: upgraded from the 2. Really impressed with the screen, so awesome. I tried the Mini at the Perimeter store in Atlanta, and while I love the size and weight, I prefer the larger screen. BestBuy had 32 gig Mini's in stock but for a little more cash I could have the bigger retina screen and A6 so I went with the 10". Mini screen is fine, size is the issue for me.

Fox Mulder

Physics based games can destroy battery life. Where's my water does it on my phone.

Timbuktu

I'm amazed how quickly perception can change. I read pretty much the whole GRR Martin asoiaf series on ipad 1 and didn't think it was a problem at all.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Physics based games can destroy battery life. Where's my water does it on my phone.
From what Bacon is saying, something about Angry Birds Star Wars drains it much faster. I've never had horrible battery life with the previous 4.. 5.. uh whatever amount there are Angry Birds games or Bad Piggies.

From what Bacon is saying, something about Angry Birds Star Wars drains it much faster. I've never had horrible battery life with the previous 4.. 5.. uh whatever amount there are Angry Birds games or Bad Piggies.

Bad Piggies and AB Seasons drains the battery similarly to most other games. I own a lot of games, and it's just Star Wars that's doing it. It drains it sorta like when I stream an HD movie to my Apple TV. It's not really a big deal. I just thought it was odd.

asdad123

Picked one up from best buy Wednesday morning and I'm loving it. I "upgraded" from an iPad 3 and this thing is so much more comfortable like everyone says. Reading flipboard is freaking awesome. Not missing the retina as much as I thought I would. One thing I do miss is the extra ram since I do tend to have several tabs open, but its not a deal breaker.

The battery life is so much better compared to my 3 as well. Haven't charged it since Wednesday and its still at 40% with nearly 12 hours of usage.

Bought an open box unit from best buy for $305. It was pretty much brand new since it was only 3 days old and saved me $30 bucks plus apple gave me a free Smart Cover.

All in all, I love this little thing.

Zeth

I'd be pretty hesitant about those cheap amazon cases. I got two iPhone 5 cases from similar brands and they were garbage; total waste of money. I think you get what you pay for in many cases. I'll probably stick with Incipio/Incase/etc.

sruckus

Picking up my work iPad 2 feels like holding a brick now. The huge bezel, screen, and weight of it. Really living my mini. Read a whole book on it last night.

Weenerz

Banned

Same 10% happened with my 4s earlier, battery hog!

rbanke

I don't have an Apple store near me and last night my wife and I were at a mall where there was one. I was able to check out the mini for the first time and I couldn't believe how crazy light it is compared to the new iPad. I'm still not sure the extra price is worth it over a Nexus 7, but it certainly is a nice device. I think i'll not pick one up until they do the inevitable resolution bump though.

TxdoHawk

Picking up my work iPad 2 feels like holding a brick now

This is the real killer feature of this form factor, IMO. Sitting in my favorite diner and nosing through the internet on my 3 used to be an effort due to the weight, and I was seriously considering some kind of case that incorporates a stand. The Mini is a breeze by comparison.

Ovid

Played with the Mini at Best Buy today and I've got to say I was impressed. There, I said it.

I would so buy this thing BUT I wasn't feeling the resolution. If it had Retina display I would say the Mini is the PERFECT tablet.

Thank god they didn't have any in stock or else I would've bit :p

iPad 4 is till at the top of the list for now.

mr stroke

Got a mini today to replace a nexus 7 and really impressed so far. Perfect size. Only negative so far being the non retina, it's a harsh change from my iPhone and iPad 3, but the size and weight make up for that.

How are you guys holding the mini -portrait or landscape ?

Got a mini today to replace a nexus 7 and really impressed so far. Perfect size. Only negative so far being the non retina, it's a harsh change from my iPhone and iPad 3, but the size and weight make up for that.

How are you guys holding the mini -portrait or landscape ?

Landscape unless the app requires portait. The rumor that iOS on the Mini is good at handling inadvertent touches doesn't appear to be true. At least not in the browser or apps I use a lot, so holding it in portait leads to a lot of inputs that I didn't intend to make.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
New York Times app has been optimized for mini. Haven't checked it yet, anyone sees difference?
Every app "update" for the mini that I've used so far simply enlarges the text size like on Flipboard for instance.

Thankfully I was able to switch back the text size to the standard.

These babies are out of stock everywhere. I just got back from Best Buy and Walmart and neither store had any in stock.

The device looks nice. I'll give em that. And I don't have a problem with the screen for reading at all.

Really torn between getting a Mini and getting an RT.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apple's online store says available in 2 weeks shipping for all models. Is this true? I don't want to wait that long! I put the order in Friday. I want it nooooooow!

LCfiner

Apple's online store says available in 2 weeks shipping for all models. Is this true? I don't want to wait that long! I put the order in Friday. I want it nooooooow!

you can try going to an Apple store or big box electronics store every day to see if they got new shipments. otherwise, yeah, you gotta suck it up and wait.

Top Bottom