• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Oxn

For people saying the mini is the perfect form.

Just wait until they make the big ipad in the same form factor as the ipad mini and make it about 15% lighter.

You will definitely want to go back to 10inches.

LCfiner

Just wait until they make the big ipad in the same form factor as the ipad mini and make it about 15% lighter.

I've been thinking about this since the mini was announced. You have a point regarding weight but I think it needs to be more than 15% lighter.

if the main ipad were to get down to 1 lb flat (~45% lighter than current) then it would be closer to the mini in terms of ease of holding it. it would be 310g vs 454g instead of 680g.

going back to ipad 2 weight isn't quite enough, I think.

then there are those who would still prefer the portability of the 8" model. Although I personally care more about weight than the portability.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Probably not because it will still be 10 inches.
15% weight reduction wouldn't be nearly enough as well.

jts

...hate me...
I'm pleasantly surprised with the iPad mini's smart cover, after reading such bad reviews.

It's solid and by god... the red cover with black iPad mini = le sex.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the iPad mini's smart cover, after reading such bad reviews.

It's solid and by god... the red cover with black iPad mini = le sex.

The one thing I like about it is the all cloth material and lack of exposed metal. No scratches at all. Easy to put on and take off.

gamma

Shit, I don't know if I should take the mini or the 4th gen. I tried the mini in a store and the smaller size and lightness are really awesome, but so are the Retina Display and A6 chip. I use it mainly at home but coming from an iPad 2 the weight of the mini did feel great.

What to do GAF?

Shit, I don't know if I should take the mini or the 4th gen. I tried the mini in a store and the smaller size and lightness are really awesome, but so are the Retina Display and A6 chip. I use it mainly at home but coming from an iPad 2 the weight of the mini did feel great.

What to do GAF?

If you're always using it at home then 4th gen. Mini better for travel maybe? Just my opinion anyway.

Shanks

I waited two weeks and finally got my new iPad mini in today. Turns out that there is a piece of dust under the screen on the bottom right. I suppose it's not a big deal but it is kind of annoying. Am I able to bring it into a store and swap it out pretty easily at this point? Will they give me any shit for it?

Mairu

FUUUUU....

That's awesome!

I haven't had as much time to use it as I'd like, but Dropbox was yelling at me to charge it or it wouldn't upload photos, so I finally had to plug it in

bdu3I.png
Very happy with the battery life. I imagine I could have got more out of it as I only just noticed today that I had never turned Bluetooth off- or leaving Bluetooth on really doesn't actually mean that much in terms of battery life!

Shearie

Since I lost all hope trying to find one of these in an Apple Store (have an Apple gift card), I decided to just order it online but the delivery time is Dec. 3rd. Fucking hell! It's been over 2 weeks since I got rid of my iPad 2 and I've been pretty much using my 4S as my main computer since my laptop is pure junk. I can't handle another 3 weeks of this! Oh how I believed the people saying that you'll just be able to walk into an Apple Store whenever and pick one up :(

How should I torture myself GAF? Continue to keep checking every Apple Store within 50 miles of me everyday or just bite the bullet and order online and wait the 3 weeks?

Since I lost all hope trying to find one of these in an Apple Store (have an Apple gift card), I decided to just order it online but the delivery time is Dec. 3rd. Fucking hell! It's been over 2 weeks since I got rid of my iPad 2 and I've been pretty much using my 4S as my main computer since my laptop is pure junk. I can't handle another 3 weeks of this! Oh how I believed the people saying that you'll just be able to walk into an Apple Store whenever and pick one up :(

How should I torture myself GAF? Continue to keep checking every Apple Store within 50 miles of me everyday or just bite the bullet and order online and wait the 3 weeks?
Keep checking, I was able to walk in and get one. Helps to be there right as they open. Also try the 10pm next-day reserve system online.

Think I am going to get the wife one of these for Christmas. Need to try and use their financing, but I like spoiling my wife at Christmas. Got my entire family and hers to chip in for a MacBook Pro for her last year, so I think a Mini would go over well this year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, the cellular models need to be out already.

TheExodu5

Banned

What do you mean same form factor? With the side bezels removed? That will never happen...the side bezels are needed for holding the iPad in portrait mode.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Driving me crazy. Last week the guy a the apple store said they'd have the LTE models in this Friday. Went in today and the guy said itd be a week or two. I have someone lined up to buy my iPad3 tomorrow morning, but I don't want to be iPadless for two weeks. :|

is the Ipad's typing software compatible with MSword? I will be typing a lot of complex math problems on it, but I need to submit a docx file.

anyone?

These tablets seems like a great tool for students. Having all my calculus, trigonometry, physics and chemistry formulas and notes on tiny device. No need to carry heavy binders and search for obscure material...am I right about this? Damn I want one so bad!

anyone?

These tablets seems like a great tool for students. Having all my calculus, trigonometry, physics and chemistry formulas and notes on tiny device. No need to carry heavy binders and search for obscure material...am I right about this? Damn I want one so bad!

If what you're asking is if Pages is compatible with Word, then yes to some degree. You can open Word files and save Pages docs as word files. Sometimes formatting can be a little off but nothing too major.

Apath

Keep checking, I was able to walk in and get one. Helps to be there right as they open. Also try the 10pm next-day reserve system online.
Wasn't that the day after it released though? I've been checking every night for at least a week and haven't been able to find a single store in my area that's available for pick-up. Do stores not make all of their inventory available online for pick up?

kinggroin

Banned
They're a shit ton of them at the Best Buy on Osceola parkway for those in central Florida. Last I checked, there were some left at the Best Buy by the Florida mall.

Shanks

I feel like it is a waste of time trying to swap this mini out considering they are likely to be out of stock for the next few weeks. Anybody have any idea what they may do?

Wow. It is nearly 3am and my local store had them available for pick up. Dumb luck that. I ordered one for my wife for Christmas. Was tempted to toss one in the cart for myself as well, but that would be a bit suspicious.

I want to get her a smart cover as well, but are there any good back covers that are smart cover compatible?

HooYaH

I feel like it is a waste of time trying to swap this mini out considering they are likely to be out of stock for the next few weeks. Anybody have any idea what they may do?

Usually Apple stores reserve some products in case of replacements. I replaced my iphone 5 two days after it was out at launch.

Vyer

Apple Stores usually keep a seperate stock for exchanges/support.

Got the email confirmation that the Apple store has my mini. How long do I have to pick it up? Do I have to go today, or can I wait a day or so for when I am on that side of town again? I just dont want to drive half an hour today when I will be near there tomorrow.

jts

...hate me...
157.jpg

So I got one of these velcro hedgie thingies for my black mini. It's pretty cool, you can attach your iPad to walls and other surfaces, but now I don't feel like gluing that thing to my iPad, although it's slim and soft and it blends well since it's black.
I feel like I'm going to ruin the device's integrity.

Maybe I should get a case or back cover and attach it there.

What would you guys do?

157.jpg

So I got one of these velcro hedgie thingies for my black mini. It's pretty cool, you can attach your iPad to walls and other surfaces, but now I don't feel like gluing that thing to my iPad, although it's slim and soft and it blends well since it's black.
I feel like I'm going to ruin the device's integrity.

Maybe I should get a case or back cover and attach it there.

What would you guys do?

Order a generic TPU polycarbonate case off Amazon. Glue it to the back of said case.

iPad will easily pop in and out of the case, whenever you'd like it too and stays in original condition.

Voila!

sk3

Banned
My current stats:
27% battery life
Usage:
15 hours, 18 minutes
Standby:
7 days, 22 hours

Yeah battery life is pretty good.

Top Bottom