• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Blackhead

Redarse
What how did you get a Verizon mini already
Also:

LTE iPad mini and 4th-gen iPad on sale at Sprint stores today | The Verge
If you've been holding out for an LTE-enabled version of the iPad mini or 4th-generation iPad, it may be your lucky day. Sprint has announced that it'll be carrying both tablets in its stores from today, marking the first official news we've heard about retail availability. AT&T, Verizon, and Apple itself are yet to confirm their plans
I don't know what game Apple has been playing with the carriers lately but first refusing to sell the iPhone5 unlocked and now giving first dibs on the iPad cellular to the carrier stores is very disappointing.

iPad Mini, 4th generation iPad hit Sprint retail stores in limited quantities, force you to leave your house (update: Verizon and AT&T too!) -- Engadget
Existing smartphone customers who make the trek down to their local mini-mall will be able to add the slates to their account at a discounted rate, scoring a 1GB data plan for $15 per month or 100MB for $10. Sprint will also be enacting a waitlist system for customers who miss out due to the company's admittedly limited stock, asking customers to purchase a $50 gift card in exchange for a guaranteed device when the next wave of tablets hit stores.

WTF

bob page

If anyone's still looking for one, Macmall has them in stock with free shipping. Only caveat is that you need to call the order in.

Carlisle

Got a white 16gb for my wife the other day (early Christmas for her). Had to stalk the Apple online store in-store pickup option every night at 10 for a few days, but it finally worked (though we had to go to the Georgetown store for it, which sucks because DC has higher sales tax than VA, but a win's a win I guess).

It's stunning. She's switching from a Nook color and is absolutely in love with it. Now my iPad 2 looks so large and unwieldy and less sexy next to her mini. I'm tempted to get one for myself, but I'm not totally ready to give up that extra screen real estate just yet. But still, it's some really hot hardware.

My iPhone 5 finally arrived, 2 months after ordering, the same day we got her mini, so I've got plenty to keep me entertained anyway.

Korosenai

Hmm something's wrong with my mini. I can no longer send messages to people on it. It says error, makes me sign in on my apple Id, and when I do it still doesn't go through. Anyone know what's wrong.

Zeth

I've got 5 days to ship my 3rd gen for $400 from Gazelle, but I don't think I can do it. I really appreciate the real estate + resolution especially when I'm not on the go. Love the Mini, just not sure it can totally replace my Retina. It'd be fine if my iPad use was supplemental, but I use an iPad for 90% of my computing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hmm something's wrong with my mini. I can no longer send messages to people on it. It says error, makes me sign in on my apple Id, and when I do it still doesn't go through. Anyone know what's wrong.
Try signing out completely in Settings and resigning in. Sometimes it helps.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I've got 5 days to ship my 3rd gen for $400 from Gazelle, but I don't think I can do it. I really appreciate the real estate + resolution especially when I'm not on the go. Love the Mini, just not sure it can totally replace my Retina. It'd be fine if my iPad use was supplemental, but I use an iPad for 90% of my computing.

You're missing out on the greatest iOS device yet.

Not sure if you'd want this. I just made my new iPad wallpaper for the mini below. You can have it if you like. Click the image for the wallpaper.

url=http://i.imgur.com/qslJN.jpg]
eN7DBl.jpg
[/url]
Do you nave a link for this wallpaper? It's pretty nice :D

Edit: I have a 3rd gen iPad tho

border

I was really wowed by this thing at the Apple Store last night. I went in thinking I wanted a 3rd or 4th gen iPad, but the weight on those things was a pretty big turn-off.

I like how light the Mini is, and how there's less useless bezel. It feels like it would eventually be straining to hold an unsupported, elevated iPad, but the Mini feels like it weighs less than a paperback (which most of us hold elevated for hours at a time). I thought the smaller screen size on the Mini would bother me, but I didn't notice it much at all. This is the first time that I've found myself preferring a 7-8" tablet over a larger variant.

The only downside is that the hardware inside is essentially 2 generations old now, and I'm worried about how well it will run apps in the future.

On Black Friday, I can (maybe) get an iPad 3 for ~$300.....or an iPad Mini for $329. What would you guys choose?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I was really wowed by this thing at the Apple Store last night. I went in thinking I wanted a 3rd or 4th gen iPad, but the weight on those things was a pretty big turn-off.

I like how light the Mini is, and how there's less useless bezel. It feels like it would eventually be straining to hold an unsupported, elevated iPad, but the Mini feels like it weighs less than a paperback (which most of us hold elevated for hours at a time). I thought the smaller screen size on the Mini would bother me, but I didn't notice it much at all. This is the first time that I've found myself preferring a 7-8" tablet over a larger variant.

The only downside is that the hardware inside is essentially 2 generations old now, and I'm worried about how well it will run apps in the future.

On Black Friday, I can (maybe) get an iPad 3 for ~$300.....or an iPad Mini for $329. What would you guys choose?
iPad 3 is negligibly faster than the iPad 2 /mini

If you really want to future proof for speed, you need the iPad 4.
That being said, I don't foresee that being an issue.

iPad 3 is negligibly faster than the iPad 2 /mini

If you really want to future proof for speed, you need the iPad 4.
That being said, I don't foresee that being an issue.

Yeah I don't really get all the superceded talk. The A5 has only just been topped a month ago by the iPhone 5 and now iPad. The 3 was never any faster than the 2. The extra ram helped tabs reloading less but the GPU cores were only there to drive the extra pixels at the same parity to the old. It never felt like an actual step up in performance until now.

Mairu

Get an iPad Mini and then sell it next year when the hardware gets upgraded. That's my plan!

You should make it a square. Either 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 so it works in both Landscape and Portrait.

What? It is a square. Like I said click the image, it will take you to the full res of the wallpaper.

Just in case anyone's looking for some good wallpaper for their Mini, I run a site that has a bunch. I just recently started adding new ones again.

http://www.ipadbackdrops.com/

http://www.ipadbackdrops.com/post/4149195790/prism

Btw you're also welcome for that one. I made that for iPad two, then updated for retina last year. Haha awesome, love seeing my wallpapers show up online.

sturmdogg

I'm looking to get a mini, but are there any apps that won't run on it? I think i read somewhere that certain apps don't run on the ipad 2 but will run on the ipad 3. Is this correct?

rodvik

Yeah If you click on the image it will take you to the wallpaper.

I always make new backgrounds whenever I get new devices.

Ah 3rd gen, sorry I don't have retina :/

Nice.

Curious how do you make them? You write a program to generate something that feels right and pick the best one or something else?

There is rarely a day that my iPad mini does not leave my house with me. I fucking love this thing.

Next year I'm gonna get a 32Gig again (assuming they upgrade to Retina) but next time, I'm gonna get the cellular one. Having a little data pad with internet on me wherever I go is like some kind of dream that I never believed would come true. Yes, that's what the iPhone is, but this size is just so perfect. If I could ditch my iPhone but transfer my current data plan and use a bluetooth headset with the Mini I would in a heartbeat.

Nice.

Curious how do you make them? You write a program to generate something that feels right and pick the best one or something else?

Nope just use photoshop from scratch. I play with colors amd patterns until I get something I like. I like certain shapes/patterns and lots of color. Once I have something I like I tweak it until it's what I want.

For instance I played with patterns and gradients until I got a good theme. Then I made it into a checkerboard, then made a second version at a 45 degree angle and lowerd the opacity to get the diamond look.

Mix colors again, reveal the edges to enhance the pattern and then rotated the image so it wasn't horizontal or vertical bars.

That's how I made this one.

bob page

I'm looking to get a mini, but are there any apps that won't run on it? I think i read somewhere that certain apps don't run on the ipad 2 but will run on the ipad 3. Is this correct?
You heard wrong! Apple requires all apps to have retina & non-retina versions to avoid fragmentation. Some games even run better on the ipad 2 than 3 (though I'm sure the 4 fixed that).

rodvik

Nope just use photoshop from scratch. I play with colors amd patterns until I get something I like. I like certain shapes/patterns and lots of color. Once I have something I like I tweak it until it's what I want.

For instance I played with patterns and gradients until I got a good theme. Then I made it into a checkerboard, then made a second version at a 45 degree angle and lowerd the opacity to get the diamond look.

Mix colors again, reveal the edges to enhance the pattern and then rotated the image so it wasn't horizontal or vertical bars.

That's how I made this one.

Cool, thanks!

ChanHuk

Banned
So I'm on the fence on whether to buy my grandmother an iPad mini or iPad 2. She's gonna be using it really to watch shows so the larger screen would be nice. But the Mini is such a nice device.

Radec

So I'm on the fence on whether to buy my grandmother an iPad mini or iPad 2. She's gonna be using it really to watch shows so the larger screen would be nice. But the Mini is such a nice device.

Get her the mini. The weight along outweighs the screensize. :)

Epic Drop

I'm looking to but my wife one of these for Christmas... Any tips on how to get one by then? I Saw people earlier in the thread talking about checking the apple website every night at 10? what is that all about?

I'm looking to but my wife one of these for Christmas... Any tips on how to get one by then? I Saw people earlier in the thread talking about checking the apple website every night at 10? what is that all about?

Seems to vary by country but Apple Store's usually update their inventory at either 9 or 10 depending on timezone. This gives you a slim timeline (5mins) to get in and reserve a unit for pickup next day if they gain stock (very likely at bigger locations). You can't reserve anything that doesn't have stock so it's foolproof in that sense. (There's also no way to reserve in-store, so it's your only bet apart from just flat out ordering a unit for shipment online)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Finally got mine. Feels pretty amazing and typing on it is a breeze. Once the faster retina iPad minis come out I see absolutely no reason to stick with the original iPad (until a proper refresh at least). This really should've been the original size.

jts

...hate me...
Apple... the fuck is iTunes 11 at!?

The iPad mini's box even states that it needs iTunes 11 or higher :lol:

Funny how it didn't even needed an update... on the other hand, there isn't a miniature picture available for the product on iTunes 10.

I'm afraid that if they're delaying it so much, we will suffer from an early product and it will not be a smooth ride at the beginning.

Unless that instead of being delayed for major issues, they're just ironing out small kinks so it will be flawless. That would be cool. But unexpected.

Finally got mine. Feels pretty amazing and typing on it is a breeze. Once the faster retina iPad minis come out I see absolutely no reason to stick with the original iPad (until a proper refresh at least). This really should've been the original size.

I think Daringfireball posted something on this subject. But yeah, while the mini form factor is on the verge of perfection, the original iPad really needed to be the size it was. The iPad was downed for being a "big iPod touch" or "big iPhone" when it first debuted. The larger screen size almost forced deves to reimagine applications for a larget tablet. I have a feeling if the 7inch form factor would have been the initiate size, there would be a pretty signficant temptation to just make blown up iPhone apps (similiar to the situation Android is in).

That said, I agree. I love the iPad mini size.

Bigfoot

Just curious since I don't have a Mini yet... How does it handle iPhone apps?

I guess it can't have a 2x mode since that takes up most of the regular iPad screen, but does it it have a 1.5x mode or something?

The 1x mode must look better than the 1x mode on the iPad 2... I would guess this since the Mini has the same DPI as the 3GS. In a way, it would be like going back and playing all my iPhone retina apps on my old non-retina 3GS.

GG-Duo

I've been waiting for my local Apple Store to have an iPad Mini in stock - but it doesn't seem like they have received any new stock for a week or so. Since I'm in Canada, there's no such thing as the 10pm Store Reservation thing available.
It's pretty lame. They need to show store stock availability online.

I'm just going to keep calling until the Black Friday deals come out, and then just order online.

jts

...hate me...
Just curious since I don't have a Mini yet... How does it handle iPhone apps?

I guess it can't have a 2x mode since that takes up most of the regular iPad screen, but does it it have a 1.5x mode or something?

The 1x mode must look better than the 1x mode on the iPad 2... I would guess this since the Mini has the same DPI as the 3GS. In a way, it would be like going back and playing all my iPhone retina apps on my old non-retina 3GS.
It has a 2x mode. 2x stands for double resolution, iPhone apps running natively at 480x320 get upscaled to 960x640. Still within the 1024x768 of its display (same as it happens on the iPad 1 and 2, just at a small physical level).

Unfortunately they never run at iPhone retina resolution natively. That is one of the perks of the iPad retina. 960x640 apps upscaled to 1920x1280 don't look too bad actually (of course speaking at an IQ level, because native iPad apps are always much much better).

It has a 2x mode. 2x stands for double resolution, iPhone apps running natively at 480x320 get upscaled to 960x640. Still within the 1024x768 of its display (same as it happens on the iPad 1 and 2, just at a small physical level).

Unfortunately they never run at iPhone retina resolution natively. That is one of the perks of the iPad retina. 960x640 apps upscaled to 1920x1280 don't look too bad actually (of course speaking at an IQ level, because native iPad apps are always much much better).

That is something I never understood. The screen is capable of it, so why not do it?

coldfoot

Banned
Never buy the 1st device in a new Apple product line. Works every time.
I'll consider the mini when it gets a retina display, which is only an eventuality.

jts

...hate me...
That is something I never understood. The screen is capable of it, so why not do it?
Essentially Apple BS I guess, but this is my reasoning: a retina iPhone app running natively on the non-retina iPads would mean that the 1x version is going to show in a huge-UI mode and they probably want the users to always have the option of normal-sized UI (1:1 with the iPhone on the case of the mini and just a tad bigger on the others), and they are not fans of downscaling (while a pixel taking the space of 4 doesn't get any information lost, the opposite is not true). Obviously swapping assets from 1x to 2x on the fly by demand would also not be an option.

So as they don't want to get things complicated, they just opted for how they do it now. It is possible of course. Jailbroken iPads can do it, but it implies opening an app first and then if the app is retina-enabled, it will ask if the next time you open it you want it to be running at retina res. That's not how Apple likes things done.

Radec

I'll consider the mini when it gets a retina display, which is only an eventuality.

gonna get the retina too. Apple products have high resell value. i dont doubt i can sell this thing for $250 easily next year.

solarus

So I've had this thing for a while now and my opinion still stands. I fucking love this thing, I do not miss my 3rd gen retina ipad at all. The form factor and weight make this so much more usable for me. Black ipad mini may also be the best looking apple device ever.

I had the first gen iPhone and iPod nano. Both were amazing products.

Pretty much agree on every other Apple product though.

Top Bottom