• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

LCfiner

Honestly, I think buying the first version of an apple product has worked out well for me. I don;t get all of them but the ones I've gotten (iphone, ipod touch, ipod nano, ipad) have worked out well. My Macs have all been second gen products after a redesign, though. they're more expensive and last longer

No, they're not always perfect but in my cases the plusses have FAR outweighed the drawbacks and the resale value is good enough to not worry about upgrading in a year or two.

coldfoot

Banned
I had the first gen iPhone and iPod nano. Both were amazing products.

Pretty much agree on every other Apple product though.

I had my far superior Nokia N95 when the first iPhone had come out. It wasn't even close since there was no app store or apps for the iPhone at first, and I had internet, e-mail, SIP calling over 3G, 5MP camera with flash, and IM on my phone.

I had a first gen nano too, that's a purchase that paid off since Apple replaced it for free with a 6th gen last year lol.

Jonogunn

I had my far superior Nokia N95 when the first iPhone had come out. It wasn't even close since there was no app store or apps for the iPhone at first, and I had internet, e-mail, SIP calling over 3G, 5MP camera with flash, and IM on my phone.

I had a first gen nano too, that's a purchase that paid off since Apple replaced it for free with a 6th gen last year lol.

Me too dude! I had the N95 which was supposed to be the top line phone then. Got an iPhone for graduation gift and thought it was a piece of junk. Gave it away to my sister. Eventually she got a 3GS years later and have the iPhone back to me and at this point I was blown away how awesome it had become This was when it was ios3. Since then I've loved my iPhones.

I remember that phone, it was all the rage back then. The user interface on the iPhone was still leaps and bounds ahead of the N95, and browsing the internet was way better even with edge. Didn't care so much about a better camera or removable storage.

jts

...hate me...
I remember that phone, it was all the rage back then. The user interface on the iPhone was still leaps and bounds ahead of the N95, and browsing the internet was way better even with edge. Didn't care so much about a better camera or removable storage.

Well, then Nokia came up with the better N95 8GB which had a larger screen, marginally better internals (namely RAM), better build quality and 8GB of storage with NO removable storage.

I myself had the underrated N82. Same internals as the N95s (including the superior RAM of the 8GB), but no 8GB internal memory, in a candybar form factor, it had removable microSD, AND the best thing was that the 5MP camera had an amazing xenon flash.

But still, even lacking in so many areas, the iPhone had the right idea. Good CPU and excellent UI/UX. The rest, including the app store, would come later... and I got there by the 3GS too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dents? My iPad 2 slid onto the pavement one day and has tiny little dents along one side. My MacBook Air slid onto the floor and now has a corner in the screen casing bent. No big deal. Just be clad it didn't break the screen.

Bigfoot

It has a 2x mode. 2x stands for double resolution, iPhone apps running natively at 480x320 get upscaled to 960x640. Still within the 1024x768 of its display (same as it happens on the iPad 1 and 2, just at a small physical level).
Oh, never realized that 1x mode on the iPad 2 was actually larger than an actual iPhone screen but I guess that makes sense considering the res differences. On the mini I guess it would be the exact size.

Mairu

It has a 2x mode. 2x stands for double resolution, iPhone apps running natively at 480x320 get upscaled to 960x640. Still within the 1024x768 of its display (same as it happens on the iPad 1 and 2, just at a small physical level).

Unfortunately they never run at iPhone retina resolution natively. That is one of the perks of the iPad retina. 960x640 apps upscaled to 1920x1280 don't look too bad actually (of course speaking at an IQ level, because native iPad apps are always much much better).

worst part about the iPad 2/Mini :[

I'm gonna go try and beg Apple today to see if I can exchange my 16GB into a 32GB- I didn't realize how quickly I'd use that space (and it's entirely apps! I didn't put any music/movies on there!)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I think Daringfireball posted something on this subject. But yeah, while the mini form factor is on the verge of perfection, the original iPad really needed to be the size it was. The iPad was downed for being a "big iPod touch" or "big iPhone" when it first debuted. The larger screen size almost forced deves to reimagine applications for a larget tablet. I have a feeling if the 7inch form factor would have been the initiate size, there would be a pretty signficant temptation to just make blown up iPhone apps (similiar to the situation Android is in).

That said, I agree. I love the iPad mini size.

Great point.

ChanHuk

Banned
Well guys, I got an instore pickup for an iPad Mini for my grandmother. Gonna give it to her at Thanksgiving. I'm thinking I should've gotten it engraved for her.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Bought on release day for my Japan trip to avoid bringing my laptop, still love it a lot. Form factor is great.

Is there a GAF thread for tablet specific apps though? Can't help but feel like I'm missing out on a lot.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think Daringfireball posted something on this subject. But yeah, while the mini form factor is on the verge of perfection, the original iPad really needed to be the size it was. The iPad was downed for being a "big iPod touch" or "big iPhone" when it first debuted. The larger screen size almost forced deves to reimagine applications for a larget tablet. I have a feeling if the 7inch form factor would have been the initiate size, there would be a pretty signficant temptation to just make blown up iPhone apps (similiar to the situation Android is in).

That said, I agree. I love the iPad mini size.

Great point.

Not really a great point. Google has little leverage over Android developers. Almost any app is allowed into the Play store and developers have alternatives if Google boots their app. Apple, on the other hand, maintains a tight rein on the apps let into their store and there are no other alternatives for developers. at the time of the iPad's releasing Apple was even demonstrating their control over developers by banning Flash development tools and then decreeing that all apps must be coded in Objective C from the start. If developers wouldn't follow Apple's lead and reimagined their applications for an iPad mini, using the examples of the iPad Calendar app, Mail app etc, then Apple could simply have prevented those blowup iPhone apps from being available in the iPad App store. The iPad already had strong demand in preorders before the tablets apps were available.

We already know why the iPad mini wasn't the original form factor — steve jobs preferred the larger iPad. It has nothing to do with developers or iphone apps.

Blackhead

Redarse
Anandtech said:
But here’s the thing - I don’t consider the iPad mini a competitor to the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7, to me, is what I buy if I’m in the market for a $199 tablet or I want a 7” Android device. It’s a completely different experience than the iPad mini. In my mind, the closest competitors for the iPad mini are, in order, the iPad 2, the Kindle Fire HD 8.9”, and the Nook Tablet HD+.

giga

It’s about a centimeter too wide to fit into the back pockets of my jeans and about 5mm too much for the inside pocket of my jacket, but with baggier clothes it's a non-issue. The N7 does fit into my jeans, though not comfortably (is there any situation in which a pocketed tablet does?).

Given that the iPad mini shares the same colors and materials as the iPhone 5, I was curious to see whether the paint would be as fragile and whether we’d see a repeat of the quality control issues Apple had with it at launch. Thankfully, the anodization seems far more robust and significantly more resistant to scratching, even on the polished aluminum band at the front. I didn’t see any material or paint defects when I unboxed it, even after a thorough going over, and through two weeks of not particularly gentle use, I haven’t seen any scratching. It’s a very different experience than my iPhone 5, which came out of the box with the front panel not properly clipped into the aluminum frame and scratched whenever I looked at it wrong. This isn’t a device that needs any other kind of case unless you plan on abusing it, and I feel like a larger case would undo some of the benefit of the ultralight chassis.

ChanHuk

Banned
I've noticed most the reviews on this thing just comes down to it being an absolute joy to use. Lack of retina is what's the only missing thing. Next years iteration might go retina with those new Sharp panels and an A6 powering everything.

EekTheKat

Apple shipped mine via Bizzaro FedEx apparently, where Los Angeles is a city in Indiana somewhere.

More than likely my mini didn't get off the plane though, and slept on the plane to FedEx's sorting facility back in Indiana somewhere.

Anyway, Apple customer support was very on the ball with this one, they called FedEx and had FedEx give me an explanation over the phone as to what's going on. Later on in the day Apple sent another email saying they're looking into it.

gamma

I've noticed most the reviews on this thing just comes down to it being an absolute joy to use. Lack of retina is what's the only missing thing. Next years iteration might go retina with those new Sharp panels and an A6 powering everything.

Well, Anandtech seems to doubt a Retina Mini next year so we'll see. I upgraded form the iPad 2 and am very happy with the Mini.

Well, Anandtech seems to doubt a Retina Mini next year so we'll see. I upgraded form the iPad 2 and am very happy with the Mini.

I'm with this. I foresee a upgrade pattern similar with the touch. I don't expect retina ipad mini's or A6 next year.

I expect A6 in 2014 when they can shrink the chip by then to save battery and make sure they can keep the same thin design with retina. Right now even the A6 won't be enough to help the battery life of the Mini. It would require a larger chassis. I'd love to be wrong and surprised though.

japtor

Finally saw one in person when picking up my iPhone today, smaller than I expected. Coming from a retina iPad the screen looked better than I expected...then back to about what I expected when I pulled up Safari to look at some text. Overall I'd be fine with it I think.
I'm with this. I foresee a upgrade pattern similar with the touch. I don't expect retina ipad mini's or A6 next year.

I expect A6 in 2014 when they can shrink the chip by then to save battery and make sure they can keep the same thin design with retina. Right now even the A6 won't be enough to help the battery life of the Mini. It would require a larger chassis. I'd love to be wrong and surprised though.
Without retina or the A6...what else would they update it with, or are you saying they'd just skip it?

The A6 by itself isn't an issue, the thing is in the iPhone after all (and for an equivalent amount of work done can actually use less power than the A5). Everything hinges on the display itself being retina, it'd be the biggest power draw (more so than usual) and requires a beefier chip to run it. The latter could be mitigated a bit by 2-3 SGX 554 cores in an A6r2 variant or something.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Maybe a slightly higher res screen that isn't retina but yeah not much else to upgrade. The form factor is really comfortable, particularly when using the split keyboard.

ChanHuk

Banned
I don't see why Apple wouldn't at least put the A6 into the next iteration of the iPad Mini. Its the only logical step, its just the panel that is in question. Those Sharp IGZO displays are promising depending on costs.

KtSlime

I don't see why Apple wouldn't at least put the A6 into the next iteration of the iPad Mini. Its the only logical step, its just the panel that is in question. Those Sharp IGZO displays are promising depending on costs.

I can easily see an A6 coming to their lower end products when they start to push out the A7, but we are probably at least a generation off from having Retina in the Mini. As to IGZO, I really want a product, ANY product with one, it's been being toted around the the past 2 years now and nothing has came to fruition, so I'll believe it when I see it.

jts

...hate me...
I'm under the strong impression that they vastly improved the iPhone 5's quality since launch.

Mine was produced in week 39, after the scuffgate exploded, and after a week of usage with no case and a small drop to a wooden floor, it's still 100% flawless, as BNIB.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Literally waiting in a parking lot to sell my ipad3 to a guy. Hope they have those Verizon ones in stock. lol.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yup so everything went swell. I made the sale then went to the Verizon store since the apple store was sold out. It's great. Only thing is there a way to get iPhone apps to run at their full resolution? When in 2x mode they're horrendous doubly pixelated.. Shouldn't they be running at 960x640 rather than at the 3GS resolution they're obviously displaying as? I used clear which is an iPhone app all the time on my ipad3 and it looked great, on this thing it's a horrible mess.

Zzoram

Saw this in store. Amazing build.

If I ever buy another iPad, it will be after my iPad 2 stops working, and it will be the newest generation iPad Mini available.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have no idea how long I'm going to have to wait to get mine. I placed my order on release day. Since I wanted the 16GB model which they weren't getting. I waited to give my sister my iPad 2 because I thought it'd be sooner. But now I've said fuck it and sent it off to her early. I'll go without for a few days. Hopefully a few days. At most.

Pachimari

Have had the Pini since launch and I still feel that it's hands down the best device I have ever bought, perhaps equal to iPhone 4 and MacBook Air.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yup so everything went swell. I made the sale then went to the Verizon store since the apple store was sold out. It's great. Only thing is there a way to get iPhone apps to run at their full resolution? When in 2x mode they're horrendous doubly pixelated.. Shouldn't they be running at 960x640 rather than at the 3GS resolution they're obviously displaying as? I used clear which is an iPhone app all the time on my ipad3 and it looked great, on this thing it's a horrible mess.

They should use that res but don't.
Only the retina iPads will use the higher res assets.

I used a jailbreak tweak to force them to on my old 2.

Vyer

So I finally saw/held one of these today.

I can see what you guys mean about the form factor. It was pretty great. The quality is outstanding, and it definitely feels easier to hold and of course the weight is excellent. Overall it really does blow away my Nexus 7 in terms of form factor and build.

The screen was also not as bad as some had led me to believe. Obviously a downgrade, but I found I could still read full webpages without any kind of zooming and the apps/games still looked good.

I still think I'm going to hold out for the next revision to decide whether or not this becomes our new 'smaller tablet', but I have to admit that's suddenly a lot harder to do now that I've seen this in person.

Fox Mulder

And i'll spend the next 1-2 years enjoying this tablet while you wait.

yeah, waiting on apple hardware is stupid. There's always an inevitable better revision a year from now, and current products will still have great resale value then. I flipped my ipad 1 and ipad 2 for good money and will do the same with the mini when the time comes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
yeah, waiting on apple hardware is stupid. There's always an inevitable better revision a year from now, and current products will still have great resale value then. I flipped my ipad 1 and ipad 2 for good money and will do the same with the mini when the time comes.
Well, it's not stupid only once. The first version usually has some quirks. The iPad mini for example has the non-Retina that will be fixed probably by the first revision. The Retina Pro's have slower video accelleration because of the higher resolution, which will also be fixed by revision 2. Any first version will have some problem or another. But they always bring in a nice chunk of change if you want to resell it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They should use that res but don't.
Only the retina iPads will use the higher res assets.

I used a jailbreak tweak to force them to on my old 2.
That's a bunch of bullshit. Anyway. The thing is great, I can't believe LTE. Just sittin in my car at work on my break using Internet that's faster than my DSL. AND oh man, the typing. I am such a happy camper. This is totally replacing my iPhone.

This thing really feels like a glimpse of the future in the same way the first iPhone did. The ipad3 didn't feel that way at all. This thing is un-fucking-real. The ease of typing compared to every other iOS device AND LTE make this a fucking insane pocket computer. It's never gonna leave my side. I'm just gonna be that nerd with an iPad everywhere.

Kers

Shit, I dropped a mug on my Mini. :( Broke the glass, because my gf took the cover off. Lets hope there are enough repairsupplies in store.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed on pages when I zoom in slightly, the horizontal scroll bar is in the middle of the screen rather than the bottom. What gives?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I just force quit safari and it's all better now. Must have just been a glitch.

Top Bottom