• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

I can easily see an A6 coming to their lower end products when they start to push out the A7, but we are probably at least a generation off from having Retina in the Mini. As to IGZO, I really want a product, ANY product with one, it's been being toted around the the past 2 years now and nothing has came to fruition, so I'll believe it when I see it.

IGZO products exist, sharp has produced a phone and a tablet for japan. neither are particularly thin or high-res, though.

KtSlime

IGZO products exist, sharp has produced a phone and a tablet for japan. neither are particularly thin or high-res, though.

I probably shouldn't have used the word any, I just mean these rumors have been going on about Apple using Sharp IGZO for the past 2 years now, and so far nothing. I guess it is a bit encouraging that Sharp has actual products that use the technology, but not very if they aren't thin and high-res. Do you know if they at least get better battery life?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So the fun part about me now having an iPad mini is I'm ditching the iPhone and going to get a prepaid dumb phone, I want to get something super eccentric and rare. Like a startac or something ridiculous like that.

ChanHuk

Banned
Ugh so Best Buy has the iPad 4 for $439 and $20 cash back through AMEX. Thinking about getting that and returning the Mini for my grandma.

raven777

Just saw ipad mini for the first time in the apple store..

The design is amazing. It makes my ipad3 look like shit(except the display)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gIuTi.jpg

Ok so this is what I taking another and it happens a lot. It's like th device thinks that the bottom of the page is really about 3/4a of the way down. Never have experienced this in IPS before now. It goes away when I quit safari, but then comes back after I leave safari and do something else so I'm left to imagine that it has something to do with pages unloading from memory or when safari sleep.a

Anyone experienced this before? I've been using iOS since day one have never seen this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh oops mods forgive me. Anyway, anyone know about this weird problem?

japtor

I probably shouldn't have used the word any, I just mean these rumors have been going on about Apple using Sharp IGZO for the past 2 years now, and so far nothing. I guess it is a bit encouraging that Sharp has actual products that use the technology, but not very if they aren't thin and high-res. Do you know if they at least get better battery life?
I believe it uses significantly less power and can cut down a bit on size, I vaguely remember some demo displays with a comparison of x% less power and showing thinner possible bezels cause less space needed. Presumably they're thinner too, but even if they aren't there's still in panel touch and laminated glass and other things they could do to get thinner like on the iPhone. Hell there's still other stuff used on iPhones that haven't made it to iPads yet, like LTPS or something could also reduce power consumption (no clue if that's a compatible or competitive thing with IGZO though).
Oh oops mods forgive me. Anyway, anyone know about this weird problem?
I've seen it a bunch on my big iPad. Seems like the scroller shows up where it'd be if the keyboard were up rather than at the bottom of the screen. I don't remember if it started with iOS 6 or if it's been happening for a while before that, but it's definitely not unique to the mini.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Weird I never noticed it on my ipad3. It's bugging the hell out of me.

Kers

So the first replacements displays are expected in 2-3 weeks. Let's get used to this crack. It also the first iPad, iPhone, Mac product that I've broken and I dropped pretty much everything. :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Really wish my store would get our iPad mini's in by tomorrow so I can take advantage of the Black Friday sale. I mean I'm already saving $50 with a gift card. A few extra bucks would be nice. I'd buy it off Apple.com instead and save money there but I bet it wouldn't be the $50 I'm already saving. (Assuming Apple would be doing a good Black Friday sale on iPad mini's. I got a MacBook Air last Black Friday.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok this page scrolling thing is driving me out of my mind. Someone please help me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna throw this thing out the window,
So I've been scientistng it and its the split keyboard, specific ally the split keyboard and mobile gaf. Everytime. Make a post it doesn't reset the page or whatever. So if I make two posts then what the iPad thanks is the bottom of the page is even further down. This is infuriating. It doesn't happen with the normal keyboard.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I've been scientistng it and its the split keyboard, specific ally the split keyboard and mobile gaf. Everytime. Make a post it doesn't reset the page or whatever. So if I make two posts then what the iPad thanks is the bottom of the page is even further down. This is infuriating. It doesn't happen with the normal keyboard.
Isn't the normal keyboard on the mini now small enough in portrait to use like a giant iPhone?

Also can you test it in another browser like Chrome and see if it happens there too?

The page thing happens on iOS6 in general. On my phone whenever I refresh or post usually it goes to the middle of the page or something. It is an odd iOS6 bug it seems. Works fine on iOS 5.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
iOS is my main computing platform though... I can't believe I've never run into it until now.
And yes, the unsplit portrait keyboard is workable.. but man the split keyboard on this thing with the slim bezels is TYPING HEAVEN. Its just too bad it breaks the page, its also too bad I'm super OCD about that kind of shit. It wouldn't matter much if I was just scrolling manually, but the mobile gaf shortcuts to the bottom of the page are what exacerbates the problem so much.

jts

...hate me...
Using my sisters iPad mini right next to my moms ipad 3. Gahhhh why can't it have retina :( it would be so perfect

Well it would be unfair. The mini is already better than the old geezers pad, a retina display at the same price point would destroy it.

They will have to teach the old dog new tricks by next year or it'll be in serious trouble. I just can't think of what, other than higher res (upgrade to iPhone dpi, create 3rd pilar in iOS development).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think "the next big thing" is going to be response time/refresh rate. iOS is like 100ms response time, right?

Well it would be unfair. The mini is already better than the old geezers pad, a retina display at the same price point would destroy it.

They will have to teach the old dog new tricks by next year or it'll be in serious trouble. I just can't think of what, other than higher res (upgrade to iPhone dpi, create 3rd pilar in iOS development).

Well they'll have to add it eventually , no?

My mom asked me what I wanted for a graduation gift in a few weeks... I think this will be it. The lack of retina isn't that bad if I hold it out a little further away. The reader feature makes it pretty good too.

Has anyone gotten a Dodo case for this? How is it

It's either that or just a smart case. But I'll be shoving it into my backpack... How easily scratched is the back ?

Talon

There was no way they could stick a retina display with this form factor, weight, and battery this year. They're not sitting on anything.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Chronologically speaking though, each of those devices could have usurped the previous as "best device ever" though.

jts

...hate me...
Well they'll have to add it eventually , no?

My mom asked me what I wanted for a graduation gift in a few weeks... I think this will be it. The lack of retina isn't that bad if I hold it out a little further away. The reader feature makes it pretty good too.

Has anyone gotten a Dodo case for this? How is it

It's either that or just a smart case. But I'll be shoving it into my backpack... How easily scratched is the back ?

Not easily... at all! Check out anandtechs review posted in the previous page. It's small but tough.

So, yeah, Smart Cover is the way to go with this baby. And red one at that. So sexy. Like a 21st century Moleskine.

Currently curling up in bed reading Calvin and Hobbes with it, alternating with some mild browsing. Jesus. I love this device.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just got back from the store where I placed the order. I had to pick up AppleCare for my laptop and asked about the status of my order. He showed me a list of all the orders and I was about 20th down or so with only about 6 or 7 before me. They said they get about 5 per week so hopefully within 2 weeks.

But I'll tell you I played with their demo model again and man, it is perfect. So light and tiny and a joy to use. One day I am going to go in before it arrives just to play with it solid for a few minutes and get a good feel for it. It's so awesome.

giga

Just picked one up a mini for my wife but I am pretty confused how its using my email address on the ipad and it cant be changed. Obviously because we are sharing an Apple id.
Soo how on earth do you setup an Apple id to where we can share purchases but she has her own and I have my own?
Log out of iCloud, iMessage, Facetime, etc on the iPad but leave your Apple ID in the App Store settings.

Epic Drop

My wife has been hinting that she wants a tablet for Christmas this year. I can't justify spending the full $400+ on an iPad, so I was planning on getting her a Nexus 7. I was thinking that if the Mini came in at <$300, I could justify paying the "apple tax," but told myself that any higher and I would refuse to buy it.

I dealt with that indecision for the last few weeks, until I finally resigned myself to buy a nexus 7 (faster, better screen, cheaper, etc etc).

That was until I saw/felt/played with the Mini in person. It's a damn work of art. I ordered one for her right when I got home, and I can't wait to surprise her with it. Hopefully it gets here in time for Christmas! (It says it should be available to ship in 2 weeks).

I went with white tablet / red cover - red is her favorite color.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My wife has been hinting that she wants a tablet for Christmas this year. I can't justify spending the full $400+ on an iPad, so I was planning on getting her a Nexus 7. I was thinking that if the Mini came in at <$300, I could justify paying the "apple tax," but told myself that any higher and I would refuse to buy it.

I dealt with that indecision for the last few weeks, until I finally resigned myself to buy a nexus 7 (faster, better screen, cheaper, etc etc).

That was until I saw/felt/played with the Mini in person. It's a damn work of art. I ordered one for her right when I got home, and I can't wait to surprise her with it. Hopefully it gets here in time for Christmas! (It says it should be available to ship in 2 weeks).

You made a terrific choice. Don't think that the mini is slower than the alternative though, it isn't in real world use.

Epic Drop

You did the right thing. The tablet experience on Android really is a crappy experience compared to iOS.

You made a terrific choice. Don't think that the mini is slower than the alternative though, it isn't in real world use.

I hope so... it was hard to spend nearly $400 on the tablet/cover. I just kept thinking "I could be buying 2 Nexus 7s for this price." It was just such a beautiful machine, I couldn't say no. Thank you Best Buy, you are the best Showroom ever!

I have no experience in the iOS world, so it's comforting to know that there really is that big of a difference between iOS and Android when it comes to the Tablet environment. Thanks guys, you made me feel better about dropping the extra money!

bob page

I owned a Nexus 7 for a month and returned it. It's definitely not faster than the mini. Android has a long way to catch up in the tablet space so I think you made the right choice.

I might just be a noob but here is my question. Not just for iPad mini but any mobile OS right now.

I open few tabs in my browser, sometimes when I switch to a tab and switch back to the previous tab, the page loads again. This used to happen in my iPad, happens with my Android phone using the stock browser etc. Doesn't happen with the PC.

I fucking hate it when it does that. Sometimes I have some valuable information saved up on that page and when I switch, it reloads the page again.

Any idea as to why?

asdad123

I might just be a noob but here is my question. Not just for iPad mini but any mobile OS right now.

I open few tabs in my browser, sometimes when I switch to a tab and switch back to the previous tab, the page loads again. This used to happen in my iPad, happens with my Android phone using the stock browser etc. Doesn't happen with the PC.

I fucking hate it when it does that. Sometimes I have some valuable information saved up on that page and when I switch, it reloads the page again.

Any idea as to why?

No enough memory on the mini.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else having a hard time getting used to carrying a tablet around? I was in the supermarket with this thing under my arm and felt about of place, Im sure it will be more easy/discrete when it's in a nice little notebook looking case.. But man it is definitely more of an object than the iPhone is.

Cloudy

Banned
I've been hearing horror stories about the ipad mini smart cover so I got the rocketfish skinny case for $25 at Best Buy. It is a great case with a nice faux leather cover (suede interior) and a clamshell-type backing padded with the cover material. Also converts to a stand even though it's not a bulky case

ps: Google lags terribly for me on the mini. Safari and Mercury are great though. Weird

Epic Drop

I've been hearing horror stories about the ipad mini smart cover so I got the rocketfish skinny case for $25 at Best Buy. It is a great case with a nice faux leather cover (suede interior) and a clamshell-type backing padded with the cover material. Also converts to a stand even though it's not a bulky case

ps: Google lags terribly for me on the mini. Safari and Mercury are great though. Weird

Do you mind sharing what have you heard about them? They look so slick, but if they don't work well, I'll investigate another cover.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Weird, it is not just one device, but every mobile device I have used, I've noticed it.
Your computer has giglebites of memories to store many many tabs and virtual memory. Smart phones and tablets usually have a half a gig or a full gig that it needs to share with the OS and every other open app.

SpecX

You sound just like me only I'm still undecided. My wife isn't really into gadgets and still prefers a non smartphone, but anytime I leave my smartphone and come back to get it, she's reading a book or checking her facebook account. I bouncing between here and the Nexus 7/10 threads, but I'm guessing I should get my hands on these to see what I think she will really like.

sharp claims so, yeah. i've only used the products at press events though so i don't know how well that holds up in reality.

Epic Drop

You sound just like me only I'm still undecided. My wife isn't really into gadgets and still prefers a non smartphone, but anytime I leave my smartphone and come back to get it, she's reading a book or checking her facebook account. I bouncing between here and the Nexus 7/10 threads, but I'm guessing I should get my hands on these to see what I think she will really like.

My advice is to go to a store like Best Buy or the Apple Store where you can see the iPad Mini in person. Once I saw and felt the iPad Mini, I didn't care how much more expensive it was - the Nexus 7 just looked and felt so cheap when compared to the iPad Mini.

Plus, the iPads have the super sweet looking smart covers.... believe it or not, the lack of good cover options for the Nexus 7 really turned me off during my selection process. Who wants to cover their device in a huge leather case when you can magnetically clip the smart cover to the side?

Top Bottom