• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Cloudy

Banned
Do you mind sharing what have you heard about them? They look so slick, but if they don't work well, I'll investigate another cover.

- The magnets are not as good as the regular ipad covers so it slips off
- Many complaints of it not fitting the screen correctly (not completely flat)
- It's not very good as a stand because there are only 3 folds instead of 4 and it collapses easily
- Awkward to hold when the ipad is in use because the magnets are weak

Almost every review I've seen has been negative lol

Mairu

What's the easiest way to encode video files for use on the iPad Mini? I've had an iPhone for a number of years but never really used it for video outside of digital versions of blu-rays that I got for free, I'd like to put a couple episodes of stuff on for upcoming travel

bob page

What's the easiest way to encode video files for use on the iPad Mini? I've had an iPhone for a number of years but never really used it for video outside of digital versions of blu-rays that I got for free, I'd like to put a couple episodes of stuff on for upcoming travel
Not sure if there's a better way but I always use Handbrake.

the_id

I finally got mine!!!!! I also bought the dodocase for it and man this thing is awesome.
Now, people complain about the screen not being retina. But coming from the ipad 2, I think this screen is ways better. It's no retina like my iphone 5 but its not as bad as people male it out to be.

MRORANGE

There are a few dedicated programs that get the job done, but I just use handbrake most of the time. (it's free)

anyone know what shipping is like through Apple? Who do they use? About to order a Mini for my mom for Christmas as they seem to be impossible to find in stores but I've never ordered online through apple. They don't just drop it off at your doorstep, do they? I can't seem to find any options on the site.

anyone know what shipping is like through Apple? Who do they use? About to order a Mini for my mom for Christmas as they seem to be impossible to find in stores but I've never ordered online through apple. They don't just drop it off at your doorstep, do they? I can't seem to find any options on the site.

I'm pretty sure they use Fed-Ex 99% of the time.

Got the devices for the following deals where I live. Which one should I keep? I just can't decide and hence I haven't opened either.

I've used an iPad 2 previously, so either the retina display or the mini will be new to me other than what I have seen them in stores.

iPad Mini 16GB - $355

iPad 4 16GB - $465

Help me GAF, I just cant decide on this one. I want the form factor and retina, hence the confusion.

lupinko

Got the devices for the following deals where I live. Which one should I keep? I just can't decide and hence I haven't opened either.

I've used an iPad 2 previously, so either the retina display or the mini will be new to me other than what I have seen them in stores.

iPad Mini 16GB - $355

iPad 4 16GB - $465

Help me GAF, I just cant decide on this one. I want the form factor and retina, hence the confusion.

Then that's next year's iPad Mini then.

Talon

Anandtech had a pretty compelling article doubting a retina display on next year's iPad mini considering the form factor (vis-a-vis battery).

DarkJC

If you've never yet used a retina display then you might as well keep the mini. You get the big benefits of the form factor and don't really notice what you're missing out on -- in comparison to the iPad 2 the iPad mini screen is great or even better due to the higher density.

Wife just picked hers up today. Looking above it seems the smart cover may not be the best option. Does anyone else have input or suggestions?

Epic Drop

My wife's iPad shipped today! I should have it next Thursday! The only challenge is going to be if I can stop myself from giving it to her before Christmas... I'm so bad at holding presents... I want to give them right away!

mrkgoo

Does the mini come with a 10W, a 5W or a 12W USB charger?

And out of curiosity, why does the 10W charger allow you to use Apple's extension cable, but the 5W one doesn't?

Maybe it's to do with electrical stuff I'm not aware of, but what is the technicalities of it, and what difference would it be for me to just use the 5W on a normal extension cable?

I also assume it's safe to charge any iPhone with the higher wattage adaptors - but does an iPhone then draw an appropriate current or does it charge faster? I've heard it gets regulated down so it's the same speed, and I've also heard it's faster. Which is it?

- The magnets are not as good as the regular ipad covers so it slips off
- Many complaints of it not fitting the screen correctly (not completely flat)
- It's not very good as a stand because there are only 3 folds instead of 4 and it collapses easily
- Awkward to hold when the ipad is in use because the magnets are weak

Almost every review I've seen has been negative lol

Hahaha I have had literally none of those problems with my mini Smart Cover.

The only time I ever had the magnets slip off is when I put it on my refrigerator like a wall calendar, which was stupid in the first place. Otherwise I've never noticed it not fitting the screen, sliding off, it works perfectly as a stand, and holding it isn't awkward at all - I either flip it around flat or I roll it and hold onto that like it's the spine of a book.

Shearie

I've been impressed with the Mini Smart Cover so far. The magnets are stronger than the regular cover which is the one thing I wanted improved for it.

LCfiner

Does the mini come with a 10W, a 5W or a 12W USB charger?

And out of curiosity, why does the 10W charger allow you to use Apple's extension cable, but the 5W one doesn't?

Maybe it's to do with electrical stuff I'm not aware of, but what is the technicalities of it, and what difference would it be for me to just use the 5W on a normal extension cable?

I also assume it's safe to charge any iPhone with the higher wattage adaptors - but does an iPhone then draw an appropriate current or does it charge faster? I've heard it gets regulated down so it's the same speed, and I've also heard it's faster. Which is it?

5W, same charger as the iphone.

With the 5 watt charger, can't you just use a USB extension cable?

I've had old iphones charge faster from 10W ipad chargers. it's not 2X as fast, but it's faster.

mrkgoo

5W, same charger as the iphone.

With the 5 watt charger, can't you just use a USB extension cable?

I've had old iphones charge faster from 10W ipad chargers. it's not 2X as fast, but it's faster.

Thanks.

I guess I could use a USB extension, but I have other chargers that I'd like near my bed, so a regular extension is probably more useful. I just have half a dozen of those apple extension power cords. I just wondering about why the 5W couldn't use it.

RangersFan

mine just shipped from china!

j6sJI.png

as an apple hater this will be the first apple product i bought since ipod gen 2 a decade ago. but my sis n law gave me her old ipad 1 i've been using the past year for comics and i grew to love it. was gonna go for a nexus 7 or some other 7" tablet, but the big screen of the mini and the storage size were the deciding fact, can't wait!

What's the best case so far?

Carton

I finally got to check these out in person today. My goodness, what a sexy device. It feels wonderful to hold. I'm extremely tempted, but i really don't need one, as I already have an iPad 3 and a Galaxy Note. I think i might cave yet...

I finally got mine!!!!! I also bought the dodocase for it and man this thing is awesome.
Now, people complain about the screen not being retina. But coming from the ipad 2, I think this screen is ways better. It's no retina like my iphone 5 but its not as bad as people male it out to be.

It's bad. Glad you like it, though. Once you go retina iPad I think it's hard to go backwards to the iPad2/mini resolution.

Quake1028

iPad Mini 16GB - $355

iPad 4 16GB - $465

Why would you pay over retail for the Mini?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dropbox. You can load the PDFs to the Dropbox folder on your computer but use a variety of apps (eg: goodreader) to open them on the ipad

Can I download them to the device for offline reading? Also, I'm talking about more than a gig of articles and text books.

LCfiner

Can I download them to the device for offline reading? Also, I'm talking about more than a gig of articles and text books.

You can with goodreader. With the Dropbox app, I think you need to "star" the files for offline use.

You get 2GB free with Dropbox. So that shouldn't be a problem

Why would you pay over retail for the Mini?

I gave the prices with taxes inclusive.

So the prices I have is

iPad Mini - $329
iPad 4 Retina - $405

Both are 16GB obviously. The Retina 4 was on sale for $455, I had a coupon for $50 which gave me that price. I bought them both, can't figure out which one I'd want to keep, so haven't opened either of them.

.hacked

Just got my wife a 64gb mini in white, had a 32gb on order but I was at an apple store today returning my ipad 4 (dead pixel on the screen) and they happend to have a few 64gb in stock. I love how small it is and the display is still very nice. Played a few games of Crazy Taxi on it and it ran pretty smooth, but slower then on my iPad 4. My wife loves it.

I game a bit too much on my iPad but if the released a more beefed up version next year ill get the mini. Love the size just give me a retnia display and the 3d power of the bigger ones.

mcfrank

Wife just picked hers up today. Looking above it seems the smart cover may not be the best option. Does anyone else have input or suggestions?

My wife and I spend about 45 minutes at Best Buy trying cases out yesterday and she went with this one - Belkin Dot Cover (Sams Club was the best price I found even with the 10% non-member markup). It has good reviews on Amazon as well.

Smart cover does not protect the back, and some of the other folio type felt pretty cheap or were ugly colors. The other Belkin one (tab classic) looked better but covered a bit of the screen with the holders.

Joy Factory also makes good full iPad cases, but no idea if their mini cases are good.

I don't understand how the iPad looks so huge and feels so thick now that I have a mini. I only had the iPad a few months ago. I think I'm starting to take this smaller size for granted, as I can read books and do a lot of things one handed.

My wife and I spend about 45 minutes at Best Buy trying cases out yesterday and she went with this one - Belkin Dot Cover (Sams Club was the best price I found even with the 10% non-member markup). It has good reviews on Amazon as well.

Smart cover does not protect the back, and some of the other folio type felt pretty cheap or were ugly colors. The other Belkin one (tab classic) looked better but covered a bit of the screen with the holders.

Joy Factory also makes good full iPad cases, but no idea if their mini cases are good.

Thanks. We ended up ordering this last night.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I33BAC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Will report back when she gets it and advise if it's any good or not.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hope my mini arrives this week.

I went in last Friday to check on the status of my order and there were about 6-7 people ahead of me waiting for their orders. The clerk said they get about 5 per week. So if I've done my math correctly, this should be my week!! Right? Right? Feels like I've waited forever.

seeds19

Banned
Just got mine two days ago, 32 gb wifi white, the best gadget i own so far, coming from an acer iconia tab 7" is like buying a 100.000 € amg Mercedes after owning a Ford fiesta.

RangersFan

how many of you guys are using a screen protector. i've decided against using one for the new mini just because it's such a pain in the ass to get it perfect. also because my ipad1 screen has held up just fine, plus how often i go through tech items i guess i care less about wear.

just hoping my case gets here later today

RangersFan

good thing i'm not a huge apple guy with 50 different devices needing the new adapter because i'm really enjoying the new lightning connection being no "wrong way" to connect.

16 or 32GB?

I made the mistake of getting a 16GB 4S but I feel like it's mostly photo/video/music that I have on there...
A lot of my stuff is cloud-based (Spotify, Netflix, etc.). As such, I've found the 16 GB iPad and iPhone are both plenty for me. If you're planning on putting a decent amount of movies, games, music, etc. on there, 32 GB is a better call.

RangersFan

went with 64gb. figured it's better to have the space and not need it than to not have the space and need it. plus the resell value of apple products is good and the higher the storage the better. though sonos just updated there software to allow stream via their ios devices so i may end up putting music on my mini, which thankfully i have the space for.

Top Bottom