• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Apath

So my iPad mini I ordered today is set to be delivered on the 28th of december and the Sim card will arrive on the 4th of Jan?

That is ridiculous...
Did you check the Apple stores in your area? I'm surprised they still aren't available -- especially the 4G ones.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57559159-37/ipad-mini-set-to-eclipse-retina-ipad/

iPad Mini set to eclipse Retina iPad

The iPad Mini appears to be on its way to eclipsing the Retina iPad, according to NPD DisplaySearch.

Apple had originally expected to sell 6 million iPad Minis in 2012. But that's turning out to be a laughably low forecast, according to DisplaySearch analyst David Hsieh.
Now, Apple is asking display panel makers to "ship more than 12 million" iPad Mini displays in the fourth quarter, Hsieh said in a research note.

"The iPad Mini apparently is selling better" than the new iPad 4, Hsieh said in response to an e-mail query. "It seems people especially like the size...[it's] lighter, slimmer and easier to carry."

And that's despite having a relatively low-resolution non-Retina display and older silicon than the iPad 4. So, it appears that price, starting at $329, and the chic, lightweight design are driving demand.

And in 2013, the iPad Mini could account for half of all iPad shipments, which DisplaySearch says should reach 100 million.

"In 2013, it is likely that Apple will adjust its product portfolio to meet the strong demand for the iPad Mini. We believe that Apple is targeting total iPad shipments of 100 million in 2013, half accounted for by the iPad Mini," Hsieh wrote.

The iPad Mini's 7.85-inch display is being made by AUO and LG Display, which have struggled mightily to keep up with demand. If Apple wants to meet demand in 2013 for the Mini things will have to change.

"If the iPad Mini volume is anything near 50 million units, Apple will need to find other panel suppliers in addition to AUO and LG Display," Hsieh said.

Dat form factor.

Now stop buying them so I can find the model I want in store!!!

rumors already starting that iPad mini 2 will have retina, like it wasn't already obvious

will day 1 an LTE retina mini for my girlfriend as I told her to hold off an year on the mini and stick with her iPad for another year

I find Anand's argument that next year will be too soon for retina in that form factor to be more reasonable.

Why? by FAR the biggest complaint for the mini was it's non-retina screen, and Apple actually has competition in the 7" market so they're not going another year with have the lowest rest screen

Talon

Why? by FAR the biggest complaint for the mini was it's non-retina screen, and Apple actually has competition in the 7" market so they're not going another year with have the lowest rest screen
Manufacturing scale, heat dissipation, and battery size.

I'm sure Apple would love to but the tech won't be there to keep the same size and weight and add retina.

If a retina iPad mini turns into a iPad 2-to-iPad 3 like transition then count me out for the first retina iPad mini update. I'm way too satisfied with the battery life, weight, thinness and coolness of the device (in terms of heat management) of the current device. Might just wait until the second retina revision.

If a retina iPad mini turns into a iPad 2-to-iPad 3 like transition then count me out for the first retina iPad mini update. I'm way too satisfied with the battery life, weight, thinness and coolness of the device (in terms of heat management) of the current device. Might just wait until the second retina revision.

How is the iPad 4th gen for battery life?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Manufacturing scale, heat dissipation, and battery size.

I'm sure Apple would love to but the tech won't be there to keep the same size and weight and add retina.

That's the bet I'm making, getting a Mini for Christmas not expecting Retina in 6-10 months. iPad 3 paid prices for Retina, but the smaller size makes any such concessions a much more noticeable and bigger deal. A few mm feels much bigger on a Mini, a bit of heat will be much hotter for the Mini, and there's not much room to squeeze in more batteries on top of it.

If it happens awesome, will ditch and Retina it up, but I think it's a tough task.

Kurdel

Banned
Did you check the Apple stores in your area? I'm surprised they still aren't available -- especially the 4G ones.

There were no 4g models left here.

Just saw that it shipped and will be here on the 21! 28th was way too far off, this is much better!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hmm one of my speakers is buzzing... is this something Apple will cover?

Do they buzz always, or only at high volume/frequencies?

Mine do when it's loudest or with certain tones.
I figured it's just the price of tiny speakers though. Hmm..

DigiTimes alert:

Apple to enhance resolution of next-generation iPad mini, say sources

Apple's next-generation iPad mini will focus mostly on enhancing the device's display resolution, according to Taiwan-based backlighting industry sources.

The sources have yet to specify whether the device will use Apple's Retina Display technology to enhanced resolution, but market observers said it is highly likely based on the development of past Apple products such as the iPhone and 9.7-inch iPad series.

That means if the iPad mini uses Apple's current Retina Display technology, it will have a 2058 by 1536 resolution and 326ppi.

Meanwhile, the sources also said that Apple will restructure the lighting of the next-generation 9.7-inch iPad from two LED light bars to one in order to decrease the device's overall weight.

Ryck

Do they buzz always, or only at high volume/frequencies?

Mine do when it's loudest or with certain tones.
I figured it's just the price of tiny speakers though. Hmm..
Yeah they buzz even when using siri and stuff like that... sigh I this is my second trip to take my iPad in... my wife's iPad has had zero issues so I guess it is just my luck.

Was going to stick to just getting the 16gb after my paycut but I said "fuck it" and picked up the 32gb anyways. Mostly because the Apple Store just happened to have it in stock and I got the second last one before about 10 other people behind me who wanted one.

Coming from the Nexus 7 after owning an iPad 3, the first thing I have to say is - It's good to be home.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime

3LVVR.jpg
In Bob We Trust

Apath

There were no 4g models left here.

Just saw that it shipped and will be here on the 21! 28th was way too far off, this is much better!
:D

I'm thinking about grabbing one for my girlfriend for Christmas. Does anyone know of a cheap Hello Kitty case/cover I can get her with it? (She loves hello kitty for some reason.)

Metalmarc

Posting from my brand new iPad mini, only had it 3 days, completely happy with it, for fellow uk gaffers I got my 32gb mini last week at tesco of all places so check out your nearest if they are sold out elsewhere

Edit, sorry bit drunk there tried again

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So any suggestions on a lightweight case with Smart Cover-like functionality (i.e. the magnet to turn it on and off and the ability to fold up and act as a stand) or a back-only case that has compatibility with the official Smart Cover?

Something really light. I didn't buy a super light tablet to add a pound to its weight. lol

.hacked

So any suggestions on a lightweight case with Smart Cover-like functionality (i.e. the magnet to turn it on and off and the ability to fold up and act as a stand) or a back-only case that has compatibility with the official Smart Cover?

Something really light. I didn't buy a super light tablet to add a pound to its weight. lol

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/CoverBuddy_iPadmini

I got my wife the cover buddy from switcheasy.

Tattooth

Posting from my brand new iPad mini, only had it 3 days, completely happy with it, for fellow uk gaffers I got my 32gb mini last week at tesco of all places so check out your nearest if they are sold out elsewhere

Edit, sorry bit drunk there tried again

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even think of Tesco. I need to go searching for one next week.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
http://www.switcheasy.com/product/CoverBuddy_iPadmini

I got my wife the cover buddy from switcheasy.
How well does it grip the iPad? Does it fly off easily? I had a case kind of like it on my iPod touch 4 that once I dented the corner of the device slightly pushed in it wouldn't grip tightly and never stayed on anymore. How much does it weigh? (Also, how much does the smart cover itself weigh too?) I'd probably get a clear one of these to show off the normal color of the device and a red smart cover as it seems to be the perfect combination. (Red and black)

How well does it grip the iPad? Does it fly off easily? I had a case kind of like it on my iPod touch 4 that once I dented the corner of the device slightly pushed in it wouldn't grip tightly and never stayed on anymore. How much does it weigh? (Also, how much does the smart cover itself weigh too?) I'd probably get a clear one of these to show off the normal color of the device and a red smart cover as it seems to be the perfect combination. (Red and black)

I got the red smart cover for my wife for christmas and was looking for a case as well. None in stores support the smart cover, so tempted to order nearly the exact thing you are suggesting. Great minds...

Kurdel

Banned
This news story is from like a couple years ago.

My point exactly.

With hindsight we know that the iPad 2 didn't get the retina screen, but that didn't stop the rumour mill. After a few months of iPad mini, why on earth would Apple already plan a huge upgrade so soon after the first iteration? Just a year ago we thought it would be impossible on a 10 inch screen, and even the. we saw the heat being an issue.

I can't imagine a 2013 7.9 iPad with a retina screen would have the battery life, weight and heat dispersion up to Apple standards.

Then again, they could surprise us all with a desperate move to consolidate the 7 inch market at the price of build quality and customer experience.

Kermy

I got the clear coverbuddy with red Smart Cover for my black mini so I'll try to answer some of your questions. In terms of fit, it fits like a glove, so much that its a pain in the ass to take off. I like it for the most part but I'm thinking of taking it off and using a back skin instead because it's a little slippery and hard to grip one handed. The weight is negligible but the added thickness is definitely noticeable.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thing is if I was just going to cover it up with a colored case I would have gotten the white iPad instead. I hate to cover up the nice black finish.

taoofjord

So has anyone switched happily from an iPad with retina to an iPad mini? Or, ended up with both? I love the form factor of the mini but I'm not sure i want to give up the retina, or at the very least, give up my 3rd gen retina iPad. I'm crazy, I know, but I kinda want both until the iPad mini gets a retina screen... :(

Juice

Apple tends not to release products when the market wants them.

Doing a retina mini well may not be physically possible next year. If it isn't, we won't see one.

Juice

So has anyone switched happily from an iPad with retina to an iPad mini? Or, ended up with both? I love the form factor of the mini but I'm not sure i want to give up the retina, or at the very least, give up my 3rd gen retina iPad. I'm crazy, I know, but I kinda want both until the iPad mini gets a retina screen... :(

Yes, I switched from an iPad 3 that I rarely used on account of its heft.

Use the Mini hours every day. Was an easy decision.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Retina doesn't matter. The formfactor and device does. I'm unimaginably more satisfied with the mini apt ham the ipad3. I hate the big iPad. Retina does not matter. It's nice. And boy does it make a difference when reading text but in the grand scheme of how the device integrates into your life it's a complete nonfactor in comparison to what the iPad mini brings to the table. The size really makes that profound of a difference.

I'm actually almost angry when I think about how much I hate the big iPad.

Juice

Retina doesn't matter. The formfactor and device does. I'm unimaginably more satisfied with the mini apt ham the ipad3. I hate the big iPad. Retina does not matter. It's nice. And boy does it make a difference when reading text but in the grand scheme of how the device integrates into your life it's a complete nonfactor in comparison to what the iPad mini brings to the table. The size really makes that profound of a difference.

I'm actually almost angry when I think about how much I hate the big iPad.

I agree. Lets hug.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree. Lets hug.
I agree too. After only four stats with this thing I really can't go back to the normal size. I am typing on this with the portrait keyboard and its really nice. If a bit slippery though. So I really want to get a case because I literally dropped it a foot today and out a tiny little scratch on the top edge. I will post a nice HDR photo of it when I get home. So I need a case that can give me a good grip.

When the Smart Cover is on the iPad can it still be held comfortably? I can see it being awkward.

Happily went from the retina iPad to the iPad mini. Absolutely love everything about it. No regrets whatsoever.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Like the smallest little nick from the shortest little drop right on the shiny edge.

Sad thing is I did the same thing with my iPad 2 where it slid out of my car to the pavement. I was able to slow it with my leg as it fell but it landed on the edge and settled on its face. Nothing happened to the glass but the edge had a bunch of small nicks. Also my MacBook Air whacked the door a few too many times the bottom left corner of the thin metal part of the display is bent slightly downward. I am really good at slightly damaging my Apple products.

Though I have dropped my iPhone 4S numerous times and it still hasn't gotten any damage.

I really need to get cases for this stuff.

Edit: I am now thinking of getting the Canvas: (In red)
http://www.switcheasy.com/product/CANVAS_iPadmini

Since it will actually save me money by not requiring me to purchase a Smart Cover, plus it has that functionality and works as a stand. I just don't know how heavy it is. But if it's not too much it'd be great. Plus it doesn't look to obstruct the screen or ability to touch the edge like my dad's first generation iPad case does. (It wraps completely and surrounds the screen right to the edge making it impossible to swipe from the edges.)

At the same time I'm also looking at an iPhone 4 Nude case: (Also in red)
http://www.switcheasy.com/product/NUDE_iPhone4

Setre

Hey guys I own an iPad 3, didn't even realize they'd come out with a 4 until a couple days ago, and am thinking about getting the Mini. I mostly browse the Internet and read books / comics on my 3 and wanted to know how big the jump is going from Retina to non-Retina. Most reviews say you won't notice a difference unless they're side-by-side is that true from some of y'all's experience? Also how likely is it Apple will release a Mini with Retina next year?

CrankyJay

Banned
Hey guys I own an iPad 3, didn't even realize they'd come out with a 4 until a couple days ago, and am thinking about getting the Mini. I mostly browse the Internet and read books / comics on my 3 and wanted to know how big the jump is going from Retina to non-Retina. Most reviews say you won't notice a difference unless they're side-by-side is that true from some of y'all's experience? Also how likely is it Apple will release a Mini with Retina next year?

I noticed immediately when I picked one up in the Apple Store...especially when it comes to text.

If reading on the net and looking at comic books, I wouldn't recommend it if you're used to retina display.

credentials: iphone 4 and ipad 3

LCfiner

your best bet is to see a demo model and decide what you think about the lower res. everyone reacts differently, to be honest. for some, the lack of a retina display is a deal breaker. for other's it's a minor inconvenience.

For me, the retina display makes a big difference for plain text on web pages or books. especially white text on a black background found in some apps or for small text on a busy page before you zoom in.

it's a less noticeable improvement for colour images (most web images aren't even sized for retina display, anyway.) and comics. at least to my eyes. it's there but not as stark a difference.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

I had an ipad 3 and even a 4, my brother got his wife a mini andi used it and returned my 4 for one.

I mostly read comics, surf websites and watch videos on it. While I do agree the text can be a bit blurry when holding it vertically, flip it horizontally to browse websites or just zoom in a bit it's fine. Comics look great and videos are fabulous.

Not saying I don't miss the retnia display, but I have to say the form factor has won me over. I will upgrade to retina when it's available on the mini.

I'm gonna wait and see what the Mini is like a couple of iterations down the line. I recently got an Ipad 4, after demoing both it and the Mini in a local shop. I use the Ipad mostly for web browsing, reading comics and magazines and playing some games, in the house. For me, the text quality on on the Mini was a deal breaker. Loved the general lightness though and form factor and if I travelled a lot I would be more likely to get one. A retina screen upgrade on the Mini might convince me to switch in the future, although I would probably still have concerns about the screen size. I really enjoy being able to view PDFs, magazines and web pages on my Ipad 4 without having to pinch-zoom.

Top Bottom