• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The discomfort of going to lower resolutions is temporal imo. Form factor triumphs it.

That being said, any recommendation for a KB that plays nice with the iPads?

Fox Mulder

I'm gonna wait and see what the Mini is like a couple of iterations down the line. I recently got an Ipad 4, after demoing both it and the Mini in a local shop. I use the Ipad mostly for web browsing, reading comics and magazines and playing some games, in the house. For me, the text quality on on the Mini was a deal breaker. Loved the general lightness though and form factor and if I travelled a lot I would be more likely to get one. A retina screen upgrade on the Mini might convince me to switch in the future, although I would probably still have concerns about the screen size. I really enjoy being able to view PDFs, magazines and web pages on my Ipad 4 without having to pinch-zoom.

the current form factor and screen size is fantastic to me. I would actually prefer if they prioritize battery life over throwing a retina screen in this, but one is the more sexy choice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The discomfort of going to lower resolutions is temporal imo. Form factor triumphs it.

That being said, any recommendation for a KB that plays nice with the iPads?

if you've never had a retina display ipad, its not even a problem IMO. Its like going from HD back to SD. Jarring at first but you will adapt to it.

buhdeh

I have an iPad 3 and Nexus 7 and really wanted the mini (obviously getting rid of the N7) but I took one look at the clock in the status bar and, ooooooh boy, that is one horrific screen.

32gb black. Bought.

That's what I picked up on Friday. Absolutely love it so far. It think this is the perfect design for me.

I have an iPad 3 and Nexus 7 and really wanted the mini (obviously getting rid of the N7) but I took one look at the clock in the status bar and, ooooooh boy, that is one horrific screen.

The quality of the Mini's screen is noticeably poorer than the N7 but I'm more than happy with my switch. I had an N7 for a couple of months and I definitely prefer the mini and feel it's worth the extra price I paid for it.

It's hardly horrific.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
That's what I picked up on Friday. Absolutely love it so far. It think this is the perfect design for me.

The quality of the Mini's screen is noticeably poorer than the N7 but I'm more than happy with my switch. I had an N7 for a couple of months and I definitely prefer the mini and feel it's worth the extra price I paid for it.

It's hardly horrific.

While the N7's screen is sharper, I like the colors on the Mini better. The N7 looks washed out.

Double D

I got these for my kids for Christmas. Any case recommendations? I would go caseless if it were for me but its a must for the kids

Grabbed a RocketFish clear hard case while out today. Thin, clear, and smart cover compatible. Only $20 too. It is about the only thing like it I have been able to find in any brick and mortar stores.

Kurdel

Banned
So I just got mine today.

I will post more impressions later, but so far, it is amazing. I have owned every iPad since the first one, and this is the best experience.

Some UI elements are kinda small, but I guess I'll just have to sharpen my fingers a bit.

lupinko

I need one for school, so I'm just going for a 16gb mini, but when it goes retina I'll go 64gb or whatever the highest capacity is at that time.

rcl66

For dual joystick or 2 handed games this thing is the perfect form factor and weight. Punch Quest, Mini-Gore 2, Jetpack Joyride etc are so great on the Mini. Picked up a 16-gb white (every other ipad/iphone I have is black) from apple online. Ordered early December when it said 1 week shipping and it came earlier this week. Hopefully smaller size memory will force me to finish games and not just keep buying.

Just trying to decide if I want to get a smart cover.

Enco

I'm gonna wait and see what the Mini is like a couple of iterations down the line. I recently got an Ipad 4, after demoing both it and the Mini in a local shop. I use the Ipad mostly for web browsing, reading comics and magazines and playing some games, in the house. For me, the text quality on on the Mini was a deal breaker. Loved the general lightness though and form factor and if I travelled a lot I would be more likely to get one. A retina screen upgrade on the Mini might convince me to switch in the future, although I would probably still have concerns about the screen size. I really enjoy being able to view PDFs, magazines and web pages on my Ipad 4 without having to pinch-zoom.
I'm with you.

The form of the mini is amazing but I can't go from retina to non retina. Hopefully next gen we get a retina display.

As for the size, hopefully the retina makes things like movies and text easier to read and watch.

Fuck Flipboard is the fucking coooolest

indeed. i wish they had a web version because their content presentation is superb.

i love how thanks to mobile and tablets, the focus on websites has shifted to actual content. no being bombarded with 50 ads or social media spam, comments or whatever. just headline, images and the actual article.

lupinko

Damn, what do you keep on your phone?

I'm down to like 4.7gb I think currently, well just music, apps, photos, etc., I have like 20+ gb of music on the phone itself.

I know there's itunes match but I'd rather have them on hand instead of relying on internet access all the time.

If I didn't have my music on hand during my LA trip this year, it would have sucked since I didn't have 3G on my iPhone 4 (which was 32GB).

Anyway I live by this philosophy shown on this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe58xORWG0

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm down to like 4.7gb I think currently, well just music, apps, photos, etc., I have like 20+ gb of music on the phone itself.

I know there's itunes match but I'd rather have them on hand instead of relying on internet access all the time.

If I didn't have my music on hand during my LA trip this year, it would have sucked since I didn't have 3G on my iPhone 4 (which was 32GB).

Anyway I live by this philosophy shown on this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe58xORWG0

Do you need access to all your photos? There's iCloud and you can always dump off what you don't need on there to a computer.

Alchemy

I love this thing.

So what's the consensus on Smart Cover?

It works great for me. Protects the screen and doesn't change the footprint or weight of the device that much. Could be a little more stable as a stand, but no big deal on flat surfaces. It is basically a decent screen protector and stand all in one. Probably a bit expensive for what it is though.

lupinko

Do you need access to all your photos? There's iCloud and you can always dump off what you don't need on there to a computer.

I actually don'th ave very many photos, most of the space is all apps/music/videos/etc... And the extra space is just in case I'm not close to my computer or near internet.

Tho my iphone 5 is unlocked so going forward I could just buy data when on vacation elsewhere.

Who knows, but I want to be prepared I guess w/e.

Kurdel

Banned
So after three days with the mini, I really love it. I have had every single iPad model (except the 4), and this is my favorite one yet. Picking up the iPad 3 is weird now, because it is so big and heavy.

The only negative aspect is the screen, and it isn't that bad. the occasional fuzzy text because of the low ppi doesn't bother me that much, even if I am spoiled with the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5. In the end, the weight and the battery life is worth it. When they will release an iPad mini with a retina screen, it will be the best thing ever, but I honestly don't expect that before 2014.

I went for the black + red smart cover. It's the best.

Enco

So after three days with the mini, I really love it. I have had every single iPad model (except the 4), and this is my favorite one yet. Picking up the iPad 3 is weird now, because it is so big and heavy.

The only negative aspect is the screen, and it isn't that bad. the occasional fuzzy text because of the low ppi doesn't bother me that much, even if I am spoiled with the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5. In the end, the weight and the battery life is worth it. When they will release an iPad mini with a retina screen, it will be the best thing ever, but I honestly don't expect that before 2014.

I went for the black + red smart cover. It's the best.
I really hope we get it as the next model.

Would be amazing.

Kurdel

Banned
I really hope we get it as the next model.

Would be amazing.

I wouldn't even be pissed, because it would be too amazing to not upgrade.

A year is really a long time in terms of tech advancement these days, so maybe it will be ready for next year. Maybe we will see some kind of middle of the road resolution bump to a weird halfway point between the Retina iPad and iPad 2, but full on iPad 3 res for next year is unlikely.

Also, I really love the bezel. These proportions are perfect, and the screen really pops in lansdscape mode.

Enco

I wouldn't even be pissed, because it would be too amazing to not upgrade.

A year is really a long time in terms of tech advancement these days, so maybe it will be ready for next year. Maybe we will see some kind of middle of the road resolution bump to a weird halfway point between the Retina iPad and iPad 2, but full on iPad 3 res for next year is unlikely.

Also, I really love the bezel. These proportions are perfect, and the screen really pops in lansdscape mode.
Since its smaller than the 3, I wouldn't expect the same resolution. Just something similar.

Retina ruined me. Everything looks like crap now.

LCfiner

Since its smaller than the 3, I wouldn't expect the same resolution. Just something similar.

Retina ruined me. Everything looks like crap now.

I think we should all expect the exact same number of pixels as on the retina ipad. the PPI will be iphone level (just like the current mini is old iphone PPI). the total resolution will match the full size ipad.

Apple didn't create the mini with the old ipad resolution just to throw that pixel perfect compatibility away with an updated model.

I love this thing.

So what's the consensus on Smart Cover?

Apple sent me one for free, and I still use it. Great for what it is. I really like how the magnets are covered with cloth material so it doesn't scratch your iPad. Plus it's easy to take off since I use the iPad without a case.

However, there is no way I'd pay full retail price for it. If they were like $10-15 then I'd say go for it.

Got an iPad mini for the step dad today. 16GB black. Target guy said they hadn't had them in stock for a week but two came in this morning. I just happened to get there at the right time.

Billen

Banned
I was thinking about buying one for my wife as a christmas present. After having checked it out, I honestly can't give her one. The screen is utter shit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about buying one for my wife as a christmas present. After having checked it out, I honestly can't give her one. The screen is utter shit.
No. It's really not. It's not high resolution, but it's a nice screen.
That's the most melodramatic thing I've ever heard.

I was one of the people who thought I couldn't get a mini because of the screen but I barely notice it now. The device is just so lightweight and awesome

I happen to agree, but I think this is a symptom of being a retina ipad and iphone owner. My relative won't mind in the least, though.

Top Bottom