• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

I LOVED the first hour or so that I played before having to leave on a business trip. Can't wait to get back home tomorrow to play some more.

So what's the consensus been on it? Another gem from Team ICO? Worth the wait? It sure seems that way.

It's the most emotional gaming experience I've ever had. My personal favorite of the Team ICO games and one of my all-time favorites.

Just finished it. Having been spellbound by it from start to finish i don't think i can really appreciate just how good that game was right now. It's magnificent, not without some control and camera issues but a lot of them were alleviated for me once i got to grips with the control scheme.

So gutted it's over lol.

EDIT: Fucking hell i've got Ico as well that i've never played, definitely playing that now.

Just finished it. Having been spellbound by it from start to finish i don't think i can really appreciate just how good that game was right now. It's magnificent, not without some control and camera issues but a lot of them were alleviated for me once i got to grips with the control scheme.

So gutted it's over lol.

EDIT: Fucking hell i've got Ico as well that i've never played, definitely playing that now.

Play the remastered version on the PS3. Sublime.

One of my friends surprise gifted me this game because they know how much I love SotC (it's my favorite game of all time), but the problem is I don't have a PS4. Fuck my life. Of course, they didn't know this when they bought it, and I told them to just get a refund or something when they told me, but they're still going to ship it to me anyway, which is really awesome on their part. :')

I hate asking for help, but I'm completely stumped here.

What I presume are late game spoilers ahead:
I've just flown up to the big white tower again, after creating a runway for Trico, and I've killed the guards up there.
I've not used the mirror on that thing yet, so I guess that could be the solution, but there's a barrel on a ledge on the outside of that tower that I have no idea how to get to. I know I have to throw it from the ledge to the lower ledge that I can get to, then carry it up the staircase, but I can't see a way to get to the ledge the barrel is on.

Never mind, I figured it out. I was doing the right thing, but at the wrong spot.

Why the would they even put an area like this if they can't get it to fucking work!? Late game spoiler

The goddamn underwater area! If I can even get Trico to dive, he'll just swim to the tunnel and back again. He just keeps swimming back to shore otherwise
. This place is the worst place in the game.

Have you opened the
gate
?

SilentRob

Yes!
And I've made him swim to the tunnel a million times, but he keeps swimming back
! Why the fuck does this piece of shit place exist anyway, could have removed from the game and it would have been better off

Uh, what do you man "a million times"? There are only 2 you should have to swim through if I remember right.
After opening the first gate and swimming through it, you have to solve a puzzle in the room you end up in to open the second tunnel and then swim through that. Do you point to the first tunnel and make Trico swim back that way? What exactly is it youre' doing right now?

Deku Tree

Worst Team ICO game in terms of gameplay. The Trico AI is much worse than a cheap robot dog toy AI that you buy for Christmas. A lot of the times the commands you have to give are confusing and unintuitive.

Yes you can figure out how to make him work 100% of the time and do speed runs but that doesn't mean the game has good AI for the average person who plays it.

Also the camera and the physics movement are basically PS2 levels of horrible.

I played for six hours last night. And I probably spent four of those hours correctly asking Trico to do something in the correct GAF approved way and waiting a really long time for him to do it because of a buggy non responsive AI bird dog.

Seems to be a love it or hate it type of game with a lot of both types of players based on reading the thread.

If this were a new IP instead of a famed sequel to the "flawed masterpiece" Ueda games then it would be a 4-5/10. Not to mention that it supposedly runs at 20fps on a regular PS4 according to digital foundry. Hard to see how a 20fps game gets 8/10s...

Worst Team ICO game in terms of gameplay. The Trico AI is much worse than a cheap robot dog toy AI that you buy for Christmas. A lot of the times the commands you have to give are confusing and unintuitive.

Yes you can figure out how to make him work 100% of the time and do speed runs but that doesn't mean the game has good AI for the average person who plays it.

I played for six hours last night. And I probably spent four of those hours correctly asking Trico to do something in the correct GAF approved way and waiting a really long time for him to do it because of a buggy non responsive AI bird dog.

Seems to be a love it or hate it type of game with a lot of both types of players based on reading the thread.
Smh

SilentRob

There are two tunnels it needs to swim through. I opened the first gate, swam through the first tunnel after a million tries. Now I've opened the second one, but can't swim through the second tunnel.

Trico swims to the entrance of that tunnel and swims back up to where we were, unable to pass through the tunnel.

This is not a new issue. Look up online, a lot of people have this same shitty issue. I feel like dropping the game, this area is sapping away all the enjoyment I've had so far.

Yeah, that's clearly a glitch then.
When you opened the door Trico should automatically swim through it.
Has restarting at the Checkpoint helped at all?

Also
the camera and the physics movement are basically PS2 levels of horrible.

If this were a new IP instead of a famed sequel to the "flawed masterpiece" Ueda games then it would be a 4-5/10. Not to mention that it supposedly runs at 20fps on a regular PS4 according to digital foundry. Hard to see how a 20fps game gets 8/10s...

Wouldn't that mean the game is working as intended to the selected users? This has nothing to do with being a good or bad AI, yours is simply bugged. That's like saying having COD locking out a reload button because of a bug is bad gunplay. Look I know you guys are trying really, really hard to be impartial to the game but posts like this make it very difficult for us to take you seriously.

ScOULaris

Man, I feel really bad for anyone who encounters a legitimate showstopping bug. This game deserves to be experienced the first time through in one smooth, unforgettable playthrough.

I was stuck on that area. But I was an idiot and kept asking Trico to swim through the tunnel we just came through but not the one we just opened.

Edit: Maybe people should upload some videos? I have an extremely hard time believing all this "4-6 hours" to get Trico to do what you want stuff given how smooth my run was.

Deku Tree

Wouldn't that mean the game is working as intended to the selected users? This has nothing to do with being a good or bad AI, yours is simply bugged. That's like saying having COD locking out a reload button because of a bug is bad gunplay. Look I know you guys are trying really, really hard to be impartial to the game but posts like this make it very difficult for us to take you seriously.

Then don't take me seriously. I'm not posting for people like you.

The fact that the AI can be figured out by speed runners doesn't make it a good AI.

I'm posting because it's my actual experience playing the game and so that people can see that the "omg GOTY" posts are not the only opinion. And if you read through the thread there are a lot of posts like mine on just about every page.

meppi

Edit: Maybe people should upload some videos? I have an extremely hard time believing all this "4-6 hours" to get Trico to do what you want stuff given how smooth my run was.
Sounds like a good idea cause a lot of this stuff is starting to sound like hyperbole and little else. Well, okay, perhaps some user error thrown in for good measure.

Then don't take me seriously. I'm not posting for people like you.

The fact that the AI can be figured out by speed runners doesn't make it a good AI.

I'm posting because it's my actual experience playing the game and so that people can see that the "omg GOTY" posts are not the only opinion. And if you read through the thread there are a lot of posts like mine on just about every page.

What do you mean it can be figured out by "speed runners"? Everybody who's managed to understand the AI system can be figured out. It just requires patience and observation. Unless Trico isn't responding for 5 minutes or so that's when you know it's bugged. And even if the AI CAN be figured out by these "speedrunners", the AI would still need to work doesn't it?

If that's aimed at me, I take offense at that. I've been praising this game to friends from the moment I started, stating how well the AI listens to my commands. The
water
area just fucking sucks.

I was sickened by that part, totally stuck. Fucking Trico you idiot!

Hadn't actually opened the gate though. Poor Trico, I'm sorry :(

Went through the next two after that, no problems.

meppi

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
I started the game back up again to record a video and it did it in the first try.
I did the exact same thing.
Trico had done the same dive towards the same hole about 13-14 times before this
and I had been at it for the past 1.5 hours. So I'm really fucking glad it somehow worked. WOOOOOOOOOOO!

If that's aimed at me, I take offense at it. I've been praising this game to friends from the moment I started, stating how well the AI listens to my commands. The
water
area just fucking sucks.

Good to hear. Keep in mind that Trico is half cat so he's bound to have a strong will. ;)
Also, you can urge him to go just about anywhere with just R1+left stick and R1+O.
Just keep an eye on where he is, what he's looking at and how he reacts to your commands. If he shifts his attention after a command don't immediately give another as he might get confused and do something you didn't intend.

Edit: ^"if that's aimed at me..."

Nope. ;)

Ratrat

I got stuck at the second water section too. Similarly, Im not sure why it finally worked when it did? Did I happen to press something? Move the sticks? I have no clue.

meppi

I got stuck at the second water section too. Similarly, Im not sure why it finally worked when it did? Did I happen to press something? Move the sticks? I have no clue.
It might work by R1+X as well actually as you use X to dive yourself.
He tries to mimick your moves, but can work with several orders as well, so there seem to be several ways to get a certain result.
Making sure he's looking in the correct direction is crucial though. So make sure you get him into a good position before asking him to do something.

Sounds like a good idea cause a lot of this stuff is starting to sound like hyperbole and little else. Well, okay, perhaps some user error thrown in for good measure.

Yea, that's the only reason I mention it. With something like FFXV which I played recently, if someone says in no certain terms that the camera is "garbage", I wouldn't bat an eye. I experienced issues with the camera and while it may not have been a huge issue for me, I can see how it would have for others.

But in the case of TLG, my run was practically flawless. So to hear not only people experiencing issues, but that those issues are of the game breaking variety has me a bit apprehensive in believability.

Yea, that's the only reason I mention it. With something like FFXV which I played recently, if someone says in no certain terms that the camera is "garbage", I wouldn't bat an eye. I experienced issues with the camera and while it may not have been a huge issue for me, I can see how it would have for others.

But in the case of TLG, my run was practically flawless. So to hear not only people experiencing issues, but that those issues are of the game breaking variety has me a bit apprehensive in believability.

Same, sounds like hyperbole. I'm not elite gamer or w/e but the game worked fine for me. Hell, that section some people mention I was stuck there due to not seeing where to go. Once I decided to try something else Trico went somewhere I didn't even know was there and the game moved on.

Ok, for those having problems with the water section, go to the top of Trico's head and issue the R1+forward (direction of the underwater cave) to trigger his dive animation.

Sam. My TLG run was pretty close to flawless as with FFXv. Only issuw with FF was the camera in areas with lots of trees. Worst part was it often made it hard to appreciate some some truly awesome enemy designs.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was stuck for 10 minutes because of a bug/glitch and it took 5 restarts until Trico did what it was meant to do.

Not saying I believe this 4-6 hours of being stuck, that's certainly unbelievable to subject yourself to. The game doesn't even have dopamine collectible progression stats that people love. ;-)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Aside from that progress bug in the beginning I've been having a great time. I'm at the part that was in an on stage demo once, where you
dump the eye symbols off a ledge
. I love how Trico wants to be near you at all times, like when he pushes his head in a small hole just to see you in another room. I also pet him after each fight to make him less agitated.

spoiler isn't working.

fixed

Dave_6

IMO Trico behaves and listens just like my two cats do. You cannot play this game and be incredibly impatient. I can be a very impatient person and yes I've had some frustrating moments with this game, but many times I just had to wait for him to make up his mind. I never had to wait 10 mins or so for him to do anything though, unless it was me trying to get him to go to the wrong spot.

There is a lot of hyperbole being spewed in here though. There is nothing about this game that is PS2 level anything, lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why the would they even put an area like this if they can't get it to fucking work!? Late game spoiler

The goddamn underwater area! If I can even get Trico to dive, he'll just swim to the tunnel and back again. He just keeps swimming back to shore otherwise
. This place is the worst place in the game.

May be a bug. Once I had figured out the solution Trico went under and through without issue.

Salaadin

Just beat it. I can't believe this game exists. I can't believe that I actually played it. I can't believe that it was this good.
It rightfully deserves a spot in my best of all time list...right next to Ico and Shadow.

Bravo, Team Ico, genDesign, Sony Japan, or whatever we are calling you these days.

HStallion

Oh cut the shit will you. You don't care for the game but lets not making some incredibly reaching statements you have no way to back up. Maybe the reviewers like a good amount of people in this thread actually loved the game. You've didn't have as good a time and that sucks but don't spread FUD because your voice is in the minority, its not a good look.

CrayToes

There are two tunnels it needs to swim through. I opened the first gate, swam through the first tunnel after a million tries. Now I've opened the second one, but can't swim through the second tunnel.

Trico swims to the entrance of that tunnel and swims back up to where we were, unable to pass through the tunnel.

This is not a new issue. Look up online, a lot of people have this same shitty issue. I feel like dropping the game, this area is sapping away all the enjoyment I've had so far.

Yeah, this same area just straight didn't work for me either. It was fucking infuriating. The game goes from sublime to awful so quickly at times.

HStallion

I'm not sure what I did differently. Then again my strategy wasn't to even bother directing Trico to dive. If you just start having the boy dive for a few seconds and then swim underneath where Trico is treading water he'll dive after the boy. The boy will usually stick to Trico as it passes and a quick tap of L1 will usually rest the camera which might go crazy from catchy a leg.

Need to know how close I am to the end, can someone who's finished it tell me?

Just had the big cutscene showing how Trico and I arrived at the nest. Now we are on a wooden beam near the very top of the tower, with 2 mirrors blocking us

I feel like I'm getting close?

GIT
GUD

How many PS2 games had physics-driven movement like this game, other than Ueda's own Shadow of the Colossus? Most games' movement consists of effortlessly gliding the player model over terrain while a 100% canned animation plays. I'll take this instead, thank you.

GIT

If this were a new IP instead of a famed sequel to the "flawed masterpiece" Ueda games then it would be a 4-5/10.

Boy, I sure want to hear your opinion on the following:

loz%20tp.png

loz%20ss.png

Not to mention that it supposedly runs at 20fps on a regular PS4 according to digital foundry. Hard to see how a 20fps game gets 8/10s...

loz%20oot.png

DaddyDonuts

Neo Member

Just had the big cutscene showing how Trico and I arrived at the nest. Now we are on a wooden beam near the very top of the tower, with 2 mirrors blocking us

Yeah! Getting there. I'd guess about 2 hours left or so? Maybe 1 1/2

I've had zero problems getting Trico to obey commands. I hold R1, point in a direction, and he does it. Most I've had to wait is a minute or two to get him lined back up for a jump in a tight hallway. I haven't finished it, but I feel like I'm close based on estimated length.

tesqui

It's kind of confusing that it allows you to use the commands at the very beginning, but trico won't listen to them until a certain point in the game. If someone were to stumble upon them before that fixed point, then they'd probably be pretty annoyed and think the game is glitched or broken. I think they should've just disabled your ability to do commands until the fixed point. Or alternatively they could've have the narrator say something like "Trico appears to not care for my commands. Perhaps our bond isn't strong enough."

Raising the camera sensitivity to 100% helped me a little bit with that. Some suggested 90% try it for yourself.

You must have found the odd page out, its one of the most common complaints. Turn the sensitivity up and use L1 to focus the camera on Trico. L1 can even be used to fix the camera to a better vantage point if it gets stuck inside Trico or part of the environment. I also don't touch the camera too much and when I do its small light touches, I don't hold the stick very long as it tends to keep going once you do and I try to minimize it. When going into smaller tunnels and areas I tend to set the camera behind the boy before entering.

It's because the camera has momentum to it when you move it around.

Try higher sensitivity, either ~90% or max.

Thanks so much, yeah, I missed the discussion. I had already increased camera speed to like 70%, I will max that thing out later. Thanks for the suggestions.

It's kind of confusing that it allows you to use the commands at the very beginning, but trico won't listen to them until a certain point in the game. If someone were to stumble upon them before that fixed point, then they'd probably be pretty annoyed and think the game is glitched or broken. I think they should've just disabled your ability to do commands until the fixed point. Or alternatively they could've have the narrator say something like "Trico appears to not care for my commands. Perhaps our bond isn't strong enough."

Why would you assume there's commands, unless you're on your second playthrough? The whole point is to make a bond, not skip to NG+ and start bossing him while he's still chained before he even knows who the fuck you are.

tesqui

Why would you assume there's commands, unless you're on your second playthrough? The whole point is to make a bond, not skip to NG+ and start bossing him while he's still chained before he even knows who the fuck you are.

All I'm saying is that they should've disabled the animations and commands altogether until the part where they teach you them. Why would they keep them in, so that some player could stumble upon them and be confused?

Zesh

Is there a general consensus on the game so far? I'm considering getting it, though I've never played one of these games before.

I've read that the controls can be somewhat frustrating at times; is this generally detrimental to the experience?

Yea, you're close.

Top Bottom