• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (HBO) - Kaitlyn Dever (Abby) Needed Extra Security On Set - "“There are people that actually genuinely hate Abby"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

• Kaitlyn Dever's Abby needed extra security while filming The Last of Us season 2 due to the controversial nature of her character.
  • Abby is a divisive character due to one specific plot point from the video game.
  • Dever's casting has already proved somewhat controversial due to her physical differences from how Abby is portrayed in The Last of Us Part II.

Abby remains a controversial character from the games, and as Merced explains, this makes Dever herself a target. To head off any potential threats, it was ensured that the actor had some extra protection. Check out Merced's comment below:

“There are people that actually genuinely hate Abby, who is not a real person. Just a reminder, not a real person. And so Kaitlyn had to be extra secured by security when it came to the filming of this.”

Last edited:

rm082e

Speaks to how well written that character was and how well Laura Bailey performed. I absolutely hated Aby, and I absolutely loved that Naughty Dog did what they did in TLOU2. I really enjoyed how uncomfortable they made me feel with that game.

Laura Bailey (Abby in TLOU 2) got a lot of death threats, including ones directed at her child...

I'm not surprised this needed to be done.

Will something happen? Most likely not.
Because even the daddy-issues-having people that are crazy enough to send death threats, know that killing or assaulting someone over them playing the role of a fictional character that killed their super innocent, and completely good Mr. Joel (Aka, their only father figure), is not worth the jail time...

But, better safe then sorry.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
There are indeed crazy people out there who cannot separate fiction from reality. This does seem, excessive. Publicizing it, especially if they're still filming seems like a mistake.

I don't think it's a PR move, given how it was put out there, and this person will probably get a talking to about not saying that kind of stuff in interviews while they're still working.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright which one of you snuck on set?

JR-John-Ross-Ewing-Dallas-Larry-Hagman.jpg

Any look at similar bat-shit crazy things that happen on a daily basis JUST in gaming news alone with death threats over every little thing beyond what's going on around the world makes this easily believable. People are just that fucking nuts.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Naught Dog: "Hurry, lets make a character that almost everyone will hate instead of a character that almost would do the opposite."

Logic.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Is she a good actress?
Kaitlyn Dever is very good, yeah.

Naught Dog: "Hurry, lets make a character that almost everyone will hate instead of a character that almost would do the opposite."

Logic.
There’s nothing wrong with writing a character people hate. If you play through Abby’s story, it’s one of the highlights of the game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Kaitlyn Dever is very good, yeah.

There’s nothing wrong with writing a character people hate. If you play through Abby’s story, it’s one of the highlights of the game.
The thread shows one very potential reason to not make a char that people literally hate.

The thread shows one very potential reason to not make a char that people literally hate.
Artists shouldn't restrict themselves, because some people are in dire need of therapy or be in a mental hospital.

If they want to write a deplorable (Not talking about Abby) character, there's an unspoken dialogue happening between the creator and the audience, that THIS PERSON IS NOT REAL, AND THE ACTOR/ACTRESS PLAYING THEM, AREN'T THEM, AND AREN'T ENDORSEMENTS OF WHAT THE CHARACTER DOES.

If someone is so far gone, that they want real life harm to come to people who are involve with the creation of that character, the correct thing is not for the artists to go "K, let's make our villains nicer".

Is for those insane people to be on a watchlist.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Artists shouldn't restrict themselves, because some people are in dire need of therapy or be in a mental hospital.

If they want to write a deplorable (Not talking about Abby) character, there's an unspoken dialogue happening between the creator and the audience, that THIS PERSON IS NOT REAL, AND THE ACTOR/ACTRESS PLAYING THEM, AREN'T THEM, AND AREN'T ENDORSEMENTS OF WHAT THE CHARACTER DOES.

If someone is so far gone, that they want real life harm to come to people who are involve with the creation of that character, the correct thing is not for the artists to go "K, let's make our villains nicer".

Is for those insane people to be on a watchlist.
Agree 100%, but the world we live is what it is. Now, literally for them, "deal with it".

Last edited:

Generic

I still can't get over the fact people went to social media to attack the developers and voice actors of TLOU2 simply because they disliked the game.

geary

Take a look on social media amd you find at least 500 death threats per minute for random persons. There is a difference between death threats and shit posting.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, this sounds like PR. Sets don't just allow the public to wander all up in them anyway, so I don't think they have to worry about a large number of randos running onto the set to threaten her life.

Top Bottom