• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (HBO) - Kaitlyn Dever (Abby) Needed Extra Security On Set - "“There are people that actually genuinely hate Abby"

If Rian Johnson can leave a perfectly normal life ... anyone can.

He mocked, killed, raped and pissed on the corpse of the most successful franchise of all time while laughing hysterically of one huge extreme passionate fanbase.
That's what every other director is doing with the ip since Disney bought it. Maybe it's not the directors...

GymWolf

Gold Member
Absolute cutie pie.

356632641_image-1280x720-99-1.jpg
She should have played the role of ellie instead of that distractingly ugly forehead monstruosity :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Dever's casting has already proved somewhat controversial due to her physical differences from how Abby is portrayed in The Last of Us Part II.

Who found that controversial exactly? Seems like a huge improvement to me not having her look like a bulked-up man on steroids.

While she would have been too old to play season 1 Ellie, she could have easily played her in a later season. She was my #1 pick for Ellie when there were rumors about a TV series/Movie.

She's too fem to play Abby in my opinion. Unless they pump her with test not sure how intimidating they can make her.

DAHGAMING

What a load of old bollocks this is. The truth is everyone loves her and watches her pump iron and smashing in testosterone boosters. They probably ask to have a squeeze on her nicely toned arms aswell 💪💪.

A.Romero

Imagine being so weak of mind that not only you can't stand a game you don't like exists, you also need to go harass an actress.

The cherry on the top is that they also think they are humanity's only hope going forward.

I mean this is fucked up. It's like when the actress from TLJ was getting sent death threats and shit. Like, she just played a character. She didn't write the script or the dialogue you fucking cretins.

Filben

This can't be true?
People were sending death threats to developers, writers, voice actors etc. I bet there's one in hundred lunatics who would actually shoot or stab someone over fictional characters given the chance. Absolutely. This hobby attracts a lot of different people and also the worst kind.

This is a good call. If they wouldn't do it and something happens everyone will say the writing was on the wall.

Bernardougf

That's what every other director is doing with the ip since Disney bought it. Maybe it's not the directors...
It is the directors but with compliance of the producer (KK)... I truly believe and no one can change my mind that KK enjoy very much seeing all of us angry males getting to see she fucks up this franchises.. and no amount of money loss can get her to loose her job.. that contract is iron tight since the inception per reports and leaks... from story groups to directors she is hand picking the people she knows will do exactly what she wants, think like her and say things she knows will piss everybody... the last two directors hired were plain feminists/lgbt activists with almost no experience in this genre or line of work.

I think after serving coffee for so long and being in the shadows of great man and taking orders from them made her life goal to fuck up whatever they touched. And whatever she can she will do. People say she is incompetent I think she is very competent in doing exactly what she wanted to do and will continue to do until she retires into the sun.

She is peak disney movie witch vilan... quite fitting and ironic btw

Last edited:

Metnut

She was a great character in TLOU Part 2. Controversial game. Gimme that any day of the week over boring stories like Horizon 2 or Starfield.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I can entirely believe that some losers would target an actress who's playing a character their tiny little incel brains couldn't compute - but this is also your bog standard PR bullshit that exaggerates something out of all proportion.

Bernardougf

She was a great character in TLOU Part 2. Controversial game. Gimme that any day of the week over boring stories like Horizon 2 or Starfield.
This is like saying give me piss because Im tired of shit.

On a more serious note.. her character and physicality were never the problem imho, but the origin story and overall plot she is in ?.. sheeesh.

Last edited:

Toons

Naught Dog: "Hurry, lets make a character that almost everyone will hate instead of a character that almost would do the opposite."

Logic.

Do yall seriously not understand you're not supposed to find every character in every piece of media you watch likeable? Some characters are specifically written to not be likeable?

Muffdraul

After the absurdity of how badly the alt right incel trenchcoat mafia types lost their shit over TLOU2 in general and Abby specifically, this doesn't strike me as all that beyond the pale.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Do yall seriously not understand you're not supposed to find every character in every piece of media you watch likeable? Some characters are specifically written to not be likeable?
Do you not understand that you could and should like "villains" too? I like some Picollo, Freeza, Cell, Majin Boo and Vegeta. Why do Japaneses can make likeable villains so easily?

Fbh

Gold Member
MbVrjPx.jpeg

The way this is written it sounds like there weren't any actual threats or issues, but simply that they gave her some extra security "just in case".
So yeah, this mostly just sounds like some marketing stunt

Neon Xenon

This wouldn't surprise me at all, unfortunately. If a piece of media has a lot of fans, it is guaranteed that number of fans will also include a smaller number of weirdos and creeps disconnected from reality.

I really do not envy and I feel bad for any actress who has to go through some shit just for portraying this (understandably) hated character.

However...

Not saying there arent fucking weirdos out there but also Im saying this is just PR/marketing.

Agreed. Setting the stage for reactions and whatever Twitter Brain Rot-level conversations are coming later down the line about this show. It's a cynical way to look at this, I'll admit. But exploiting the sheer hate for Abby as a marketing tool for the show is not something I'm going to put past anyone.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
I wonder how she gonna actually look in the series, since abby took roids for few solid years will she be actually be somewhat buff and with changed maskuline voice(first thing woman loses when on juice is her voice, happens even to under 100lbs bikini fitness competitors ;p).
In the game abby throws and overpowers huge men left and right so i wonder if in the series it will be similar and how realistic they will make it actually.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The irony of this story is if I were a celebrity and wanted security, the security persons physique would ideally look like Abby from TLOU2.

Toons

Do you not understand that you could and should like "villains" too? I like some Picollo, Freeza, Cell, Majin Boo and Vegeta. Why do Japaneses can make likeable villains so easily?
Half of those dont even stay villains, so in pretty sure you WERE supposed to like them.

Thats different than Abby, for whom they directly wanted you to spend the first half of the game wanting her to die before putting you in her perspective.

Abby also isn't a "villain" just an antagonist. In that role, many many people like her portrayal.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Bro, does she even lift!?

#notmyAbby :messenger_bicep:
Maybe they will use cgi to give her juiced look, w/o actual performance enhancing drugs she has 0 chance to reach abby's ingame look/musclemass/strenght even if u gave her 10years for it, simply female hormones wont allow it, arms/shoulders/neck respond to high testosterone lvls only :)

Top Bottom