• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (HBO) - Kaitlyn Dever (Abby) Needed Extra Security On Set - "“There are people that actually genuinely hate Abby"

Nankatsu

Probably because they wanted her to play Ellie instead, not Abby.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Last edited:

Bernardougf

That’s a stupid marketing stunt. C’mon what are you, Game of Thrones? I call bullshit.
This days you just have to say something and attack the fanbase... no proof needed.. fuck it.. show something, anything that proofs your statement and crazy talk from Twitter basement dwellers dosent count.

Gamers are nuts. Generational hatred almost when discussing this game.

The way they talked about this game during the lead up to release and after, you’d actually think Naughty Dog did kill someone personal to them.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That is probably true but also probably exaggerated for social points. Just like people talking about "harassment" and "death threats" when a handful of people on twitter being stupid. As someone who was bullied irl my empathy for those who get insulted online is minimal. Bitch, turn off the screen.

StueyDuck

although this is most likely a bit extreme...

i do remember a bunch of mainstream journos even wishing violence on neil druckman because he dared to say, please don't make jokes about killing the development team.

a bunch of crazy feminist nutjobs then started wishing harm on him and even said that he was racist because he didn't take into account the threats towards black people instead of his own death threats (i shit you not this was a real-life back and forth between these people)

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I still can't get over the fact people went to social media to attack the developers and voice actors of TLOU2 simply because they disliked the game.
People were sending threats to and harrassing Abby's face model years after the game came out. I remember some CoD devs talking about receiving death threats from players after they updated some of the weapons in one of the games.

Some people are not well.

Just like Kathy Newman needed "security detail" following the Peterson interview after receiving online threats... that nobody was able to find after the fact...

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
I'm convinced that lockdown psychosis amplified the reaction to TLoU2. I have huge issues with the plot, but it really isn't that serious.

Aenima

I fucking hate Abby, but i still can diferenciate the Character from the actor. Unfortunatly ALOT of ppl cant do the same. This already happened before with voice actors getting death threats as well for the characters they voiced.

A friend of mine had a role in a popular novela targeted for a teen audience here in Portugal and he got a role of a kind of a vilain character. He got hate mail in real for months cuz ppl actually tought he was a bad guy.

Anyone doubting, you guys are too naive and have too much faith in humanity. World is filled with dumb as fuck ppl.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Wow, she must have received a truly unbelievable amount of threats for the studio to pay for additional security just for her. Just, so many absolutely real and completely tangible threats that were obviously forwarded to authorities because they were so real and so credible that they demanded additional security.

100% nonsense

Laying the groundwork for the idotic discourse to follow once people start criticizing the script again...

Last edited:

sendit

"Joel Goes Clubbing", one of the most iconic moments in gaming to impact this many nerds.

This better happen in the first episode of Season 2.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

If Rian Johnson can leave a perfectly normal life ... anyone can.

He mocked, killed, raped and pissed on the corpse of the most successful franchise of all time while laughing hysterically of one huge extreme passionate fanbase.

Loomy

If Rian Johnson can leave a perfectly normal life ... anyone can.

He mocked, killed, raped and pissed on the corpse of the most successful franchise of all time while laughing hysterically of one huge extreme passionate fanbase.
This is part of the problem. He didn't do any of that. He just made a shitty movie. There's no reason anyone should have been sending him death threats over it. And I doubt him or his family were okay with or felt normal about people threatening to kill him. Same with Kathleen Kennedy who's still getting death threats to this day.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This is part of the problem. He didn't do any of that. He just made a shitty movie. There's no reason anyone should have been sending him death threats over it. And I doubt him or his family were okay with or felt normal about people threatening to kill him. Same with Kathleen Kennedy who's still getting death threats to this day.
Unless there are people in his or her real life showing up at thier house this means nothing to me. Death threats online? Who the fuck cares? That goes for anybody who complains about this shit online. Turn off the comments on your social media post or don't read them.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Mate thats the reallity of social media.. I am a nobody and I have received death threats from bozos... this amount to nothing.

And he didnt only made a shit film .. he made a horrible disrespectful film, being in record saying he wanted to do this and posting shots of mugs written "sweet fanboys" tear in twitter.. so fuck him..

Jay jay made a shit film ... I have zero problems with him or his shitty films.. nobody have

Last edited:

Loomy

Unless there are people in his or her real life showing up at thier house this means nothing to me. Death threats online? Who the fuck cares? That goes for anybody who complains about this shit online. Turn off the comments on your social media post or don't read them.
Why would it mean anything to you? No one said/implied any of this should mean anything to you personally lol.

Mate thats the reallity of social media.. I am a nobody and I have received death threats from bozos... this amount to nothing.

And he didnt only made a shit film .. he made a horrible disrespectful film, being in record saying he wanted to do this and posting shots of mugs written "sweet fanboys" tear in twitter.. so fuck him..

Jay jay made a shit film ... I have zero problems with him or his shitty films.. nobody have
I agree that this is the reality of social media and still think sending him (or anyone else) death threats is uncalled and unnecessary.

At another point on this forum where we're having trouble agreeing on something we should all agree on. That sending death threats to people for works of fiction is uncalled for and unnecessary.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Why would it mean anything to you? No one said/implied any of this should mean anything to you personally lol.

I agree that this is the reality of social media and still think sending him (or anyone else) death threats is uncalled and unnecessary.

At another point on this forum where we're having trouble agreeing on something we should all agree on. That sending death threats to people for works of fiction is uncalled for and unnecessary.
It shouldn't mean anything to them is my point. I've been harassed and threatened online myself. It meant nothing. I was bullied in real life as a child. That's a real problem with real consequences. This isn't remotely close to the same thing.

Bernardougf

Absolutely we can all agree on that.. and you can include being extremely disrespectful and cursing... but in the end its just social media.. trying to turn this in real events for clearly media pity points and marketing purposes is ridiculous and should be called upon.

Its a softening tactics for the mainstream that dosent know the Absolutely train wreck of a story is coming towards them this season...

Last edited:
I remember Lena Headey talking about getting hate from random people on the street because of her portrayal is Cersei, people are deranged.

But I also remember HBO admitting to creating fake Twitter accounts for something, to troll or some shit. I also remember when Obi-Wan Kenobi made a video talking about how racism isn’t acceptable and blah blah blah, meanwhile there was almost none of it but it got the people going.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I remember Lena Headey talking about getting hate from random people on the street because of her portrayal is Cersei, people are deranged.

But I also remember HBO admitting to creating fake Twitter accounts for something, to troll or some shit. I also remember when Obi-Wan Kenobi made a video talking about how racism isn’t acceptable and blah blah blah, meanwhile there was almost none of it but it got the people going.
After 8 years people cant call Cersei a cunt.. but they can call her... tough shit 😅 ... I think is fucked up and at the same time a true mark of how great the show and her character were (before the brain dead last seasons)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Disney had to place 24/7 studio security at Brie Larson’s house during Captain Marvel’s “popularity”.

Neolombax

Sounds like a marketing stunt. Nobody cares enough that anyone is going to waste their time of day to do anything in real life. Its just painting gamers in a negative light, again.

They should've made Abby hot in the game too. I love the character but yeesh.
LOL. Her appearance serves a narrative purpose. Her physicality is not static in the game. It fluctuates and reflects where she is in the arc of her character. And that misdirection at the end. Chef's kiss.

DrFigs

LOL. Her appearance serves a narrative purpose. Her physicality is not static in the game. It fluctuates and reflects where she is in the arc of her character. And that misdirection at the end. Chef's kiss.
now that i think about it, even irl model was cute. i guess it was just the muscles kind of grossed me out.

DaGwaphics

• Kaitlyn Dever's Abby needed extra security while filming The Last of Us season 2 due to the controversial nature of her character.
  • Abby is a divisive character due to one specific plot point from the video game.
  • Dever's casting has already proved somewhat controversial due to her physical differences from how Abby is portrayed in The Last of Us Part II.

Sounds straight up ridiculous at a glance. If you don't like the show don't watch it. Could you imagine stalking down some actor because the script they read isn't the one you would have preferred.

There are some crazy people out there.

Luc2010

This reminds me of when Star Lord didn't follow through with thier plans to take off Thanos Infinity gauntlet. Peeps were going after Chris Pratt. Fuckin weirdos! Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom