• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If anyone wants a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it and send a friend request. I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on.

Didly

Banned
Looks like some really smart person deleted a number of users from the list.

I'm taking away public access and restoring it to what it was.

Myself or OP (Khalifa Jayy) will add people that post their PSN and info in this thread from now on.

Okay, tired of playing with randoms even though I survived 12 weeks with randoms.
PSN: Sosuke15
East Coast
I usually play weekends/holidays. Depends on work load

Not sure if already posted, but:

The Last of Us 1.02 Patch Notes

Changelist for Patch 1.02

Single player
Texture of a phone number on a bulletin board changed

Multiplayer
Technical

Host migration has been improved. Losing connection to the host during a migration should occur less often
General crash when leaving multiplayer fixed
Intro camera fix for some introductory cut-scenes
Connectivity issues while playing have been tuned
If you disconnect or lose connection to the host, you will no longer advance a clan day. You will only advance a day if you are kicked from the match, or exit through the menu

Gameplay

Explosion Expert level 2 should be selectable now
The voting time for match selection has been reduced to 15 seconds
“No party” playlist options have been added to both Supply Raid and Survivors, players can only join this playlist solo
Melee against a downed character now uses the same range as normal melee

As you see we made some tweaks to improve various gameplay and technical issues that arose once the game was launched. We’ll be updating and adding additional fixes over the coming months. Keep reporting any issues on our technical forums.

See you online!

Thank fuck the host migration fail should occur less often now...

zert

Wtf it took forever to connect to MP after the patch.

Edit: "The voting time for match selection has been reduced to 15 seconds" Good!

Im not able to join into a party with my multiplayer buddy after the patch. Anyone else having an issue creating a team of friends and playing together since the patch?

So I tried out the no party mode. Never again lol.

Round starts, our whole team ends up on the second story with the enemies right below (Bill's Town).

I move downstairs TAKE OUT THREE ENEMIES: Molotov one, Shiv the other, 1 hit melee kill the other. My team? They cower upstairs for no fucking reason. The remaining enemy finishes me, I'm WAITING FOR MY TEAM, but instead, they decide to hang around upstairs. Remaining enemy heals his whole team.

Bunch of freaking idiots.

Probably the WORST team I've had just because how dense they were.

Juxtapose this with my match last night:

Down to just the three of us, enemy team has 3 tickets left, full team running around the map

They get cocky, make rushes. We huddle together to regroup, I get taken out by a bomb they had placed earlier. Teammate frantically heals me, I patch up and they are closing in, knowing we are unprepared. I'm in the middle, two teammates on the left and right. My teammate on the left has to take out two enemies, I try to take a potshot but I can't help him because an enemy is approaching to the teammate on the right. He doesn't see me and I pop him. To my relief, my teammate on the left has killed both enemies.

No tickets remaining for the enemy, they do a full spawn. Again, we take out two of their guys, and now we have the upper hand. They are suddenly just as cautious, we close in, they throw 2-3 molotovs/bombs, we dodge them. One of our guys goes in the for the flank, ducking behind cover as he goes. They are trapped behind a car, they know they are done for. They can't pop out, because two of us are just waiting for them to pop their heads out. Teammate flanking drops one of them, we move in and finish the two off.

I love the sudden huddle teams do when they are in sudden death mode, and the quick arrogance of the enemy as they rush in to overwhelm us. Usually, we end up losing anyway, but the fact that my team and I were able to actually beat the odds just once was an amazing feeling. I haven't felt this since Search and Destroy in COD4.

I'm usually not big on multiplayer, but this game has me addicted!

GAF Username: Lone Dragon
PSN ID: Dracheo
Timezone: Central

No mic, at the moment. More casual player, but I do try to win and complete objectives. Tend to stick to the group unless I feel I can pull off a flank. Also on a rotating shift at work, so my play time varies.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
“No party” playlist options have been added to both Supply Raid and Survivors, players can only join this playlist solo

Very nice. A team with microphones is often too powerful for a bunch of random players to take on.

What triggers "Skill Bonus" exactly? Like if you revive someone, it says "+100 Revive, +45 Skill Bonus". Is it based on what booster you have equipped?

maomaoIYP

This is actually a viable strategy as on some maps (Checkpoint in particular) the supply box in the middle will almost always have a melee weapon inside of it. It's advantageous to reach this box before anyone else to grab the supplies while the area is uncontested.

If there's an ambush waiting for them when they get there, they weren't fast enough.
If they get there the same time as an enemy... at least they're on even ground.

Maybe, but the dude's I've bumped into that do this tend to be the kind that think that sprinting everywhere is awesome (like immediately after they respawn, thus giving away the team's general direction) or listening mode is useless. I prefer not to rush the 2nd supply point if I can clearly see that the other team is headed there, I cross the map to reach the other one, or I stealthily flank them if I've already gotten a bomb.

Done playing with randoms, too many bad experiences

MajorZero88
Central Time Zone
Mic

Got a few hours to burn tonight. Usually play at late night and during weekends.

Jarek23

Banned
Guess what, I play one more game and BAM; 100% challenge.

F you, Naughty Dog. Now I either have to magically attract 16 survivors in three matches or start a new 12-week journey, hoping I don't get fucked over again, just to get the Skull Mask. Thanks Naughty Dog. Randomly punishing me for no reason is so much fun. You should have at least given me a shot at losing nothing at all if I do well enough, but I guess that wouldn't be 'fair'.

You get 100% threats in weeks 6, 8, 10, 11, 12. There's nothing random about them.

Near the end you don't get any other threat challenges, only ones to gain members. I managed to get the skull mask last night, I was happy as hell. But you really need to have near perfect matches the last couple weeks. I got lucky and managed to get into a lobby where hardly anyone left and each match of Survival went the full rounds.

Thanks Zam for the games. I do have a mic but I can't find it. However, you definitely aided us to win by telling us the enemies' location. I don't think we even lost a match. Let's play again sometime. Hopefully, I find that mic soon.

Btw, if you see me randomly punching, it's because my controller is slightly broken(after dropping to so many times). I could be pressing triangle and yet, it makes me punch instead.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
You get 100% threats in weeks 6, 8, 10, 11, 12. There's nothing random about them.

Near the end you don't get any other threat challenges, only ones to gain members. I managed to get the skull mask last night, I was happy as hell. But you really need to have near perfect matches the last couple weeks. I got lucky and managed to get into a lobby where hardly anyone left and each match of Survival went the full rounds.
Are you sure? Because I didn't get one in weeks 6 and 10 as far as I can remember. Still, what frustrates me more is that you will lose 20% of your clan, no matter what you do. Even if you do a perfect game and set a new personal record each game that follows, while at the same time completing all stages of your misson and far exceeding the numbers you need to get, you will still lose 20% of your clan. 20% of your clan, because reasons. That's just not a fun mechanic to me.

zma1013

Thanks Zam for the games. I do have a mic but I can't find it. However, you definitely aided us to win by telling us the enemies' location. I don't think we even lost a match. Let's play again sometime. Hopefully, I find that mic soon.

Btw, if you see me randomly punching, it's because my controller is slightly broken(after dropping to so many times). I could be pressing triangle and yet, it makes me punch instead.

No problem. Will play with you again. Fun times.

Achamian

My mp experience so far has been......try a game each mode, have no idea whats going on, get slagged off by everyone on the team for being useless, lose the matches, quit probably never to play again :(

test_account

XP-39C²
They should have handled it Uncharted style anyway, 51% vote for a map, voting phase is over.
I was wondering why they didnt have this solution concidering that once you've voted, you cant change the vote. But havinga 15 second voting period probably works just as efficiently :)

My mp experience so far has been......try a game each mode, have no idea whats going on, get slagged off by everyone on the team for being useless, lose the matches, quit probably never to play again :(
Stick together with the team (if possible, sometimes everyone goes their seperate ways). Open the boxes around the map (which are marked as a white dot on the minimap), then press select to craft items.

Also, its not recommended to rush, camping and waiting is a big part of the multiplayer. The multiplayer is more stealth based rather than more classic team deathmatch, so flanking and waiting out the enemy is often a better strategy. Also remember to use the listen mode (R2 button). And with all multiplayer games, you wont know the maps when you first play them. So playing them a few times gives an advantage.

Vitanimus

Not sure if this is warranted in this thread but I thought I'd share some thoughts and tips for the multiplayer for anyone just starting out like myself.

- Craft as much as much as possible although try to avoid crafting first aid kits unless you're desperate. Chances are that you're gonna find a first aid kit in the map somewhere or someone else will support you with healing.

- Tag your enemies with R3 when aiming. At the very least your teammates are aware of the enemies position if you're unable to get a good shot in.

- Don't crouch walk everywhere! I made this mistake early on by trying to be as stealthy as possible. Only sprinting will make you visible on the enemies minimap alongside gunshots. Jogging is usually okay when traversing maps. This isn't to suggest crouch walking isn't without its merits, just know when and where to use it.

- Support and revive your teammates. As someone without a mic/way of communication, I've often found myself isolated whilst my teammates have collaborated on some sort of plan while I am on the other side of the map haha. Being the lone ranger WILL get you killed. If you also have the chance between executing an enemy and reviving a teammate, revive your teammate. Strength in numbers, and revives are equal to downing an enemy in parts.

- Only execute an enemy if it is safe to do so. If they are downed in a wide open area, you become extremely vulnerable during the execution animation. It is advisable to shoot them whilst in a safe area.

I hope these have been useful! I am only a beginner so I have found out these the hard way haha.

Ok, I'm starting to play this online a bit with some old PSN friends but I'd love to play with Gaf as well!

PSN: coolcole93
TImezone: GMT
Mic: yes

Happy to have a laugh while playing, but want to win.

Achamian

I was wondering why they didnt have this solution concidering that once you've voted, you cant change the vote. But havinga 15 second voting period probably works just as efficiently :)

Stick together with the team (if possible, sometimes everyone goes their seperate ways). Open the boxes around the map (which are marked as a white dot on the minimap), then press select to craft items.

Also, its not recommended to rush, camping and waiting is a big part of the multiplayer. The multiplayer is more stealth based rather than more classic team deathmatch, so flanking and waiting out the enemy is often a better strategy. Also remember to use the listen mode (R2 button). And with all multiplayer games, you wont know the maps when you first play them. So playing them a few times gives an advantage.

Thanks for the tips, if only the randoms could be so helpful! :)

Ok, I'm starting to play this online a bit with some old PSN friends but I'd love to play with Gaf as well!

PSN: coolcole93
TImezone: GMT
Mic: yes

Happy to have a laugh while playing, but want to win.

I have sent you a fríend request.

EDIT: Also my friend list was full and I made some room for some GAFfers.

I have sent you a fríend request.

EDIT: Also my friend list was full and I made some room for some GAFfers.

I'll accept when I go on later tonight. I need to clear some space from my list as well.

The one thing I'm not liking about Multiplayer and the clan system is that it rewards steamrolling your opposition team instead of close-fought, tight battles. If you're demolishing opponents who are terrible then you're getting dozens of supplies and you're happy. If you come up against another good team, you have a more enjoyable match but your clan suffers as a result of it because you won't get as many supplies. Imo, this just encourages quitting. My clan went from healthy to mostly sick/hungry after four or five close-fought games against another couple of good players, despite being some of the most enjoyable matches I've had so far.

Skidd

So what's the deal with melee upgrades? I upgraded my melee weapon twice yesterday and didn't get any one-hit kills.

I believe I had a machete at one point and rushed a guy from behind cover. I made contact but my character was just swinging the thing around instead of performing a one-hit kill.

Top Bottom