• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Quick questions:

1. Do you show up on the enemy's map if you're walking (not running)?

2. Can you drop a smoke bomb like you can drop a nail bomb? Also can your own smoke bombs stun you or your team-mates?

Quick questions:

2. Can you drop a smoke bomb like you can drop a nail bomb? Also can your own smoke bombs stun you or your team-mates?

1. You only show up on map if you're Marked, Running (not walking), or you fire an un-silenced weapon.

2. You cannot drop a smoke bomb and it can and will stun you. It doesn't appear to stun teammates from my experience though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Quick questions:

1. No
2. No. Not sure about the second one, I swear I've stunned myself with my own bomb but I'm not 100%.

Something I think would improve the feeling of multiplayer a lot is a sort of "knocked down" state. A kind of halfway point between alive and "down but not out" crawling where you're down but can still shoot, and take like a second or two to get up. 2 rapid center mass or lower body shots (without an immediate followup shot) from the 9mm pistol, revolver, and semi-auto rifle should put you on your ass, even if it's not a killing blow. Ditto for a hit with the hunting rifle, close range "glancing" blows from the shotguns, a non-killing arrow hit, and 2 bursts from the burst rifle. In this scenario, one more hit would put you into the crawling state, and body armor would be reduced to a way to absorb an extra hit (and reduce damage) while on the ground before either getting up or being put into the crawling state.

As the game is now, the guns feel inconsistent, and shooting people upwards of 3 times with no reaction if they have armor on doesn't feel right. The player who's quick enough, or in good enough position to land back-to-back shots should be rewarded considering how ammo starved you are, especially when 2 players are having a "peek" around cover" mid-range encounter. It would also tremendously improve the hunting rifle as, even though it would still take 2 shots to kill, after knocking someone down you can set up teammates or even yourself for a quick shot from a handgun ala Halo Sniper + Pistol. It could also be used when you get caught in the outside radius of a nail bomb to show that it still had some effect on a player even though they didn't die. Maybe even knockdown during melee scuffles which would eliminate a lot of he "jank" involved when 2 players are just swinging fists or weapons.

As a counter to being knocked down, the player on the ground would still be able to shoot, though with aiming limited to the direction you got shot from until you decide to get up. You'd "spin" before falling to face whoever hit you and be in position to take aim with whatever was in your hand before being knocked down. Obviously it would be tough, but in a best case scenario, you'd be able to not only put your attacker into the knockdown position as well, but maybe even kill that player from your back, and live to fight for at least a little while longer. If you're put into the knockdown state behind cover by someone directly in front of you, you'd fall back remaining in cover as not to completely punish the player in cover.

This is just something that comes to my mind watching how Joel reacts to being hit in singleplayer. I think a knockdown system would make the guns feel more powerful, make the weapon balance and "rules" feel more consistent, and add more energy to the shootouts. Players would be more reactive in their animations which gives more information to everyone on the map, and it would promote movement as I guarantee most people wouldn't keep camping a piece of cover or a room after they got knocked down which gave the other player/team 2 vital seconds to rush that position. Basically this would be an attempt to make the shootouts feel more like the singleplayer mode, and reduce the spongy nature of wearing armor.

Thoughts? Hate it? Love it? Meh it?

Jarek23

Banned
Something I think would improve the feeling of multiplayer a lot is a sort of "knocked down" state. A kind of halfway point between alive and "down but not out" crawling where you're down but can still shoot

Like the Last Stand perk everyone hates in COD games? I think this would be horrible.

Also MGO, getting knocked down by a shotgun absolutely sucked. Everyone hated players who used shotguns simply for this reason.

Like the Last Stand perk everyone hates in COD games? I think this would be horrible.

Also MGO, getting knocked down by a shotgun absolutely sucked. Everyone hated players who used shotguns simply for this reason.

No, not like Last Stand. Last Stand is basically being killed but the perk overrides that kill to keep the player alive so that you have to be killed a second time. That's why everyone hates it; it makes no sense. My idea would be something built more into the mechanics of the game so that you know if you hit someone only twice with a pistol and had to reload, that person got knocked down but IS NOT DEAD, and can either retun fire from their back, or get up and keep fighting. Alternatively, if you had shot that person 3 times in succession, they would've went directly into the crawling state as they (should) do now. It's more of a way to make the guns feel like they do in singleplayer, and reward the player who's able to land shots instead of having his target simply flee and patch himself up.

I never played MGO, but was it in close range? That's literally the shotgun's only strength, that it dominates in close range. If someone is hit from within like 3-5 feet, they should absolutely be knocked down IMO, if not outright killed. The difference with my idea is that you'd be able to knock the shotgun user down just as easily, even using a revolver. I think it fits the tone of The Last of Us much more than throwing on some armor and sponging extra shots without so much as a flinch. I also think it would add some consistency to the shootouts as you'd always know how many shots it would take to do what, not only because you know the damage stats, but because you're seeing reaction animations in real time.

Man, trying to play solo at night is unbearable. I decided to play a few matches before bed at midnight in the supply raid, no parties playlist...

First game: 4 people under level 10 including myself, and the other 4 people ranged in level from 25-39. The game puts all of the highest level 25-39 dudes on the same team and we get crushed.

Second game: Different people, same exact thing.

What the hell? I have to assume there was something up, because the matchmaking can't possibly be that bad all of the time.

Man, trying to play solo at night is unbearable. I decided to play a few matches before bed at midnight in the supply raid, no parties playlist...

First game: 4 people under level 10 including myself, and the other 4 people ranged in level from 25-39. The game puts all of the highest level 25-39 dudes on the same team and we get crushed.

Second game: Different people, same exact thing.

What the hell? I have to assume there was something up, because the matchmaking can't possibly be that bad all of the time.

Levels are incredibly superficial. Don't blame lack of skill on player matchmaking. Seriously, I've played people 50+ levels above me with a 5-0 sweep in my favor.

orbabsorb

Neo Member
Played the MP two days in a row: fantastic!
I really wasn't expecting it to be that good.

Well, there's one annoying thing: I realized that most of the time I play against teams that have higher rank than I am. I'm only rank 5 or so, how am I supposed to hold in front of a team of level 35 to 45?? That's unfair.
I mean I'm not really into winning all the time but receiving a beating repeatedly is really annoying and not fun at all.

They should add an option of selecting a game against players with same ranking.

At a certain point I left the game right before starting the match because the other team was too powerful (we were like rank 0/2/1/5 and they were something like 36/40/48/35) ... I lost more than 50% of my survivors ...

Already got one setup. If anyone wants a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it. Send a friend request and I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on.

Ok, just added it. Are people using the chatroom?

Played the MP two days in a row: fantastic!
I really wasn't expecting it to be that good.

Well, there's one annoying thing: I realized that most of the time I play against teams that have higher rank than I am. I'm only rank 5 or so, how am I supposed to hold in front of a team of level 35 to 45?? That's unfair.
I mean I'm not really into winning all the time but receiving a beating repeatedly is really annoying and not fun at all.

They should add an option of selecting a game against players with same ranking.

At a certain point I left the game right before starting the match because the other team was too powerful (we were like rank 0/2/1/5 and they were something like 36/40/48/35) ... I lost more than 50% of my survivors ...

Add some Gaffers! Feel free to add me if you want, same PSN as my Gaf name. Rank doesn't determine skill.

jett

D-Member
GGs to , Jett, CHRP, Bajan, and Dave. Had some crazy games today. This is probably the most fun I've had with an MP game since UC2. Really demands team work.

Also, is anyone else getting kicked out of MP when viewing the leaderboards? Gives me a "Error connecting to the authentication server" when I try to reconnect. After a few tries I can log back on, but still annoying.

Yeah man I wish I could've played some more yesterdary. TLoU's MP can be really fun. It really reminds me of when I first started playing UC2 in that it's decidedly different from anything else.

Wow, never pick the long range kills challenge on 100% missions. By long range, they mean loooong range. I had a quick Google and other people have complained about the same thing. I have one match to get two long range kills now or I lose my whole clan
e5YuU.gif

orbabsorb

Neo Member

Add some Gaffers! Feel free to add me if you want, same PSN as my Gaf name. Rank doesn't determine skill.

Alright then;

Gaf username: orbabsorb
PSN-ID: teh-trickster
GMT+1
Mic available (but I got to find it)
I play for the fun. I'm always the first to die.
I'm available on Friday/Saturday nights.
The other days upon request (but no more than 1h playtime)

I'll be glad to add you all, just put "GAF" in the message to know who you are.
Frankly I'm a bit annoyed by teenagers who add me after they check their PSVITA StreetPass (don't know how to call it anyway)
"DO YOU HAVE FIFA?" "LET'S PLAY FIFA" "HELLO" "WHAT IS YOUR NAME??"

test_account

XP-39C²
I wish that it was possible to earn some parts when you assist in a revive. You can assist (and it is faster to revive people then), but i think only the guy who started the revive gets parts for it.

I also reached 102 people in the clan today :) I'll probably never be able to reach 120 unless i keep quitting the matches where i play poorly.

How do the guys at the top of the leaderboard grind by the way? The top 3 guys all have 512 people in the clan. I assume that to get this, you have to max out the parts in every match. It is virtually impossible to do this 84 times in a row (12 week). Even quitting the games where you dont do well in, i dont think its possible to achieve 512 people in the clan without grinding.

Can you upgrade the machete? I never tried.
Quoting myself since i tried this earlier in a match. It is indeed possible to upgrade the machete. I guess that the upgrade works as a blade sharpener. I never got around to try using it though, to see if it works like a one-hit kill weapon or not.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
My first 12 weeks survived! Gifting items really is the easiest route when under 100% risk attacks.
Healing is even better.

Just had a new personal record for revives in one game; 8. The match still ended in a tie, because me and my teammates all got downed by one single well-thrown bomb. ;-) Got a shit-ton of parts though, some 50+ parts in excess due to healing and reviving.

Apologies to those I played with last night - I always mute myself because I sit next to an open window, and I constantly forget that I'm muted when talking... so now you know why I threw a smoke bomb and rushed into a room of enemies with no warning a few times lol
We still won like 99% of the matches, but still. :p

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Saw a few people hop in and out yesterday, I'd love it if more people got in though so send invites to anyone you've got in your friend list.

And again if anyone wants a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it and send a friend request. I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on.

jett

D-Member
The matchmaking is so broken, lvl 1 vs 41

The priority in ND's matchmaking is always ping/region more than level. Levels only really show for how long someone has been playing anyway, they don't necessarily indicate how good someone is.

And can someone tell me how is there someone with 512 clan members? What kind of cheating did that guy do? I imagine that number is the absolute possible max. :lol

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Hey, Naughty Dog.

Nerf the bow. Please.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, PLEASE.

Got the the magic 120 survivors mark yesterday :D

Just need to survive a week and a half to finish my Hunter run

Healing mission is easy, got about 50/15 in one round

Best setup for me, considering parts

9MM pistol
Semi-Auto Rifle

Covert Ops 1
First Aid 2
Collector 1

No Purchasable

You need 13 Points for that I think

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Got the the magic 120 survivors mark yesterday :D

Just need to survive a week and a half to finish my Hunter run

Healing mission is easy, got about 50/15 in one round

Best setup for me, considering parts

9MM pistol
Semi-Auto Rifle

Covert Ops 1
First Aid 2
Collector 1

No Purchasable

You need 13 Points for that I think
I'd swap out Covert Training 1 and Collector 1 for Collector 2. You rarely get the chance to shiv someone, especially against tightly coordinated teams, and if you can shiv someone, you might as well just kill them with melee / gunfire. Crafting shivs also doesn't require that many resources, so dedicating two points to it is too much from where I'm standing, especially against 20% more parts.

My class;

Revolver
Bow

First Aid Training 2
Collector 2
Explosive Expert 1 or Reviver 1

No purchasable

I'd swap out Covert Training 1 and Collector 1 for Collector 2. You rarely get the chance to shiv someone, especially against tightly coordinated teams, and if you can shiv someone, you might as well just kill them with melee / gunfire. Crafting shivs also doesn't require that many resources, so dedicating two points to it is too much from where I'm standing, especially against 20% more parts.

My class;

Revolver
Bow

First Aid Training 2
Collector 2
Explosive Expert 1 or Reviver 1

No purchasable

Yeah,I've only really got it still as a hangover from the useful Stage 2. Might swap it out for Reviver or a silenced 9mm

test_account

XP-39C²
I really don't understand the point of the machete. It takes away 4 points and it's not much of help at all.
You can get the machete as a pickup from one of the boxes as well. That is what i did earlier, i actually forgot that it was possible to buy it too :) It seems to be fairly rare to get it in a box pickup though. After playing 100 games or so, i think i've gotten it maybe around 5 times.

Sorian

Banned
You can get the machete as a pickup from one of the boxes as well. That is what i did earlier, i actually forgot that it was possible to buy it too :) It seems to be fairly rare to get it in a box pickup though. After playing 100 games or so, i think i've gotten it maybe around 5 times.

Your team needs to be getting completely destroyed before the box even has a chance to start dropping it from my experience. I also think it may be an auto-drop when you are last man standing.

Vitanimus

Just had the most fun couple of matches with some guys from gaf; multiplayer is exponentially more fun when you cooperate with your teammates even without a mic. Thanks guys!

test_account

XP-39C²
Your team needs to be getting completely destroyed before the box even has a chance to start dropping it from my experience. I also think it may be an auto-drop when you are last man standing.
That might be it. I have played some rounds where my team lost big time, although i cant recall if i got a machete in those rounds, but it sounds plausible.

Mako_Drug

I am so awful at this it's ridiculous. Pretty sure it comes down to to the amount of variables presented at any one moment. In Uncharted multiplayer Its the shooting combined with the verticality as well as the perks you have to take into account. Where as in this the decision making is clouded by a wall of choice and because you are so fragile it's either you or them for the most part my brain just freezes up.

Preferring the mode with no respawns for the most part.

ShogunX

You have to imagine that the armor has a health bar instead of thinking of it like real life armor. Still has to work within the setting of a video game.

Nerfing that to two shots would make the bow horrible and not very viable to use against skilled opponents.

I understand why ND have done it....it just doesn't make a lot of sense. In fact a few things dont make sense in multiplayer but they can be forgiven.

The crafting and in game purchasing mechanics could be so much better and I really hope ND manage to flesh both out properly in future updates.

Top Bottom