• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Wonder if they could do something so you could play as a Clicker in MP. Whole team of clickers. Vision is similar to when you are listening bur opposite, everything black instead of white.

I recently got my PS3 and of course, this game THIS GAME. I have 1 single solitary PS3 friend, so please add me, would love to group up with some MP. Also, I don't have a mic yet, maybe I'll pick one up today.

PSN name is Dronehouse

Violater

ND are really fucking shit at making MP games.
What a great concept and they completely balls it up, how can someone with no armor win a fist fight against a shotgun?

Raoh

I recently got my PS3 and of course, this game THIS GAME. I have 1 single solitary PS3 friend, so please add me, would love to group up with some MP. Also, I don't have a mic yet, maybe I'll pick one up today.

PSN name is Dronehouse

Some games will allow you to use a USB mic and almost any bluetooth headset should also work. My first two mics were my old PS2 Socom usb mic and a bluetooth headset I had in my drawer from when I had my old palm treo or other phone before I went stereo headset.

As far as PSN friends, I think someone compiled a list of gaf folk and someone made it into an online spreadsheet. I've had a psn invite or two. I need to look it up myself and add people that play after 10pm mostly as well.

Qwell

I hate those missions where you are guarenteed to lose folks :( been on a hot streak and of course because of a mission (which I passed) I still lose 16 folks :(

Violater

If I log on later, sure, you can be my Ellie.

PSN ID:Msharingan

KuGsj.gif

maomaoIYP

I'll accept when I go on later tonight. I need to clear some space from my list as well.

The one thing I'm not liking about Multiplayer and the clan system is that it rewards steamrolling your opposition team instead of close-fought, tight battles. If you're demolishing opponents who are terrible then you're getting dozens of supplies and you're happy. If you come up against another good team, you have a more enjoyable match but your clan suffers as a result of it because you won't get as many supplies. Imo, this just encourages quitting. My clan went from healthy to mostly sick/hungry after four or five close-fought games against another couple of good players, despite being some of the most enjoyable matches I've had so far.

If your team members are all of comparable combat skill, each one of you will have clans that can't sustain a large population because the kills are spread out. When that happens you have to change the way you play and instead of going for kills, go for heals. A healing support class always outscores a combat oriented class. I once scored over a 100 heals in a single match. 1 heal is 40 points.

I'll accept when I go on later tonight. I need to clear some space from my list as well.

The one thing I'm not liking about Multiplayer and the clan system is that it rewards steamrolling your opposition team instead of close-fought, tight battles. If you're demolishing opponents who are terrible then you're getting dozens of supplies and you're happy. If you come up against another good team, you have a more enjoyable match but your clan suffers as a result of it because you won't get as many supplies. Imo, this just encourages quitting. My clan went from healthy to mostly sick/hungry after four or five close-fought games against another couple of good players, despite being some of the most enjoyable matches I've had so far.

I actually find that close matches are better for supplies provided you are downing players but they're getting revived rather than bleeding out or being finished.

If your team members are all of comparable combat skill, each one of you will have clans that can't sustain a large population because the kills are spread out. When that happens you have to change the way you play and instead of going for kills, go for heals. A healing support class always outscores a combat oriented class. I once scored over a 100 heals in a single match. 1 heal is 40 points.

Well heals, revives, and craft-gift giving alone with collector are all very viable for keeping your supply high.

Violater

Is voice chat disabled or something?
its 20 fucking 13 and people still dont use chat on PSN
gahhh I hate playing with randoms.

Ryuuga

Banned
Anyone know if your multiplayer status is tied to your psn account? I was wondering because a friend of mine wants to try out multiplayer, so I'm bring my copy over there.

Played a mercenary deathmatch last night before I slept, probably my favorite addition in the patch. I felt we were all on even ground since we weren't being steamrolled by some party against all randoms.

Qwell

The quality is pretty horrible though.

I wouldn't say its the quality, its just the environment, I try to be courteous when I'm using voicechat, make sure I don't have a fan blowing onto my mic (I almost always have a fan blowing on me when I'm gaming. I don't know how many times I have been in a game and someone has people talking at them, they are listening to music drowning out the chat, or whatever.

Seems to happen with a lot of games, and its one of the reasons I rarely chat unless I know the person. I have actually seen more people with mics playing TLoU than usual, but I also haven't really been playing multiplayer on PS3 lately, mostly just PC, and again not too many people are doing random chats. For me its Skype with my friends.

FYI, I'll be on for a bit PSN: Qwell

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the tips, if only the randoms could be so helpful! :)
No problem :)

So what's the deal with melee upgrades? I upgraded my melee weapon twice yesterday and didn't get any one-hit kills.

I believe I had a machete at one point and rushed a guy from behind cover. I made contact but my character was just swinging the thing around instead of performing a one-hit kill.
Can you upgrade the machete? I never tried.

ND are really fucking shit at making MP games.
What a great concept and they completely balls it up, how can someone with no armor win a fist fight against a shotgun?
You probably didnt hit point blank, i'm pretty sure that the shotgun kills with one shot at that range. Or there was lag involved.

The quality is pretty horrible though.
The quality depends much on the headset people are using.

Why on earth did they not patch in these 2 things:

1)Balance the needed resources for people who join mid-match
2) Kick players who remain idle for 60 seconds. If possible, start looking for replacements after 40 seconds or so, and bring them straight in after the kick

GolazoDan

Looks like some really smart person deleted a number of users from the list.

I'm taking away public access and restoring it to what it was.

Myself or OP (Khalifa Jayy) will add people that post their PSN and info in this thread from now on.
User: GolazoDan
Region: UK
No mic
Evenings/weekends

Thank you sir, :). I really should get a mic, I only got one last year for my 360 and that's my primary console, ha. I like it at the moment but I'm not that good at it so that combined with some randomers being REALLY bad (like, running all over the place) leads to a mixed bag. Have had a few games where randomers w/o mics have worked reasonably well though.

Maddocks

I've got a question; if you're on Fireflies and your friend picks Hunters, is there no way to switch camps?

nope, unless you lose all your survivors. it only changes the story but not what team it places you on. As long as you are in the same party it will place you on the same team. it will only make your friends skins look like hunters while you will still see fireflies.

My mp experience so far has been......try a game each mode, have no idea whats going on, get slagged off by everyone on the team for being useless, lose the matches, quit probably never to play again :(

Play with mics muted to avoid the slagging until you get familiar with the maps and how the game works. Try shadowing a high ranked player, learn the shortcuts, tactics etc. from him and you'll stand a better chance sticking to him that going alone most times. The more you play the better you'll get. You'll eventually start learning lots and then it becomes really fun. :)

Not sure if this is warranted in this thread but I thought I'd share some thoughts and tips for the multiplayer for anyone just starting out like myself.

- Craft as much as much as possible although try to avoid crafting first aid kits unless you're desperate. Chances are that you're gonna find a first aid kit in the map somewhere or someone else will support you with healing.

- Tag your enemies with R3 when aiming. At the very least your teammates are aware of the enemies position if you're unable to get a good shot in.

- Don't crouch walk everywhere! I made this mistake early on by trying to be as stealthy as possible. Only sprinting will make you visible on the enemies minimap alongside gunshots. Jogging is usually okay when traversing maps. This isn't to suggest crouch walking isn't without its merits, just know when and where to use it.

- Support and revive your teammates. As someone without a mic/way of communication, I've often found myself isolated whilst my teammates have collaborated on some sort of plan while I am on the other side of the map haha. Being the lone ranger WILL get you killed. If you also have the chance between executing an enemy and reviving a teammate, revive your teammate. Strength in numbers, and revives are equal to downing an enemy in parts.

- Only execute an enemy if it is safe to do so. If they are downed in a wide open area, you become extremely vulnerable during the execution animation. It is advisable to shoot them whilst in a safe area.

I hope these have been useful! I am only a beginner so I have found out these the hard way haha.

In regards to crafting health kits, I really think Molotovs should cost a bit more ingredients to make.

In the story, if health is scarce, and it usually can be, you have to choose between crafting molotovs or health kits. You usually go for the health kits, unless you feel brave.

In the MP, healing is so common due to a variety of ways to get health, that crafting the ingredients usually goes towards the molotovs.

I'd like to up the ingredient cost for molotovs, or even remove the insta-health pickups from supply boxes to make choosing between the two more of a risk.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Shall I make a TLoU PSN text chat? I use it with another community and it's great for organisation.

Already got one setup. If anyone wants a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it. Send a friend request and I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on.

Jarek23

Banned
Why on earth did they not patch in these 2 things:

1)Balance the needed resources for people who join mid-match
2) Kick players who remain idle for 60 seconds. If possible, start looking for replacements after 40 seconds or so, and bring them straight in after the kick

3) Shooting through walls and around corners. People just hug walls and you can't even see them.

SSReborn

I saw someone looking like he was using a Marlene skin or something, was I seeing things? :p

Nah you weren't there is a girl who has a very similar hair style as her in the MP you can even see her in one of the pictures that shows up during the loading screen. Haven't seen the face though to determine if it is actually her.

What are the thoughts on being able to save a friend during an execution animation? There are times when someone is being executed by the enemy and I shoot them and they die but it glitches and the animation still goes through and kills my teammate.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Got into a fantastic game last night with well balanced teams and two guys that knew each other and were bounding around in a party. 3 of us had mics on and the 4th man was obviously taking heed and following someone in the group the entire time.

Game goes and and after a while it's an even 4 on 4 with our team holding on to 2 more spawns and the other team down to zero. Through some careless and reckless advances by the 4th man and the subsequent attempt to pull him out of the pinch and save the life it goes down to a 4 on 2 match. Me and one of the Mic'd guys that had a personality just like mine against this last group of punks...

At the top of one of the sets of stairs in the checkpoint map (the cafe 2nd floor area) we are making a stand at that exposed roof area. I'm loaded... so i drop a bomb as a trap at the bottom of the stairs, equip a molotov and back up my friend at the door. Armored up Firefly with a shotgun out catches the fire in the face after pressing an advantage and this starts the shit + fan sequence of events. All of this happens in about 30 seconds:
Boom - fire in face
Gunshots from back stairs.. take one grazing shot
Boom - nail bomb trap goes off as they advance
Revolver shots from me covering my teamate - guy drops - teamate goes to execute
More shots from the stairs as an armored firefly starts ascending
Spin around and spot bastard sneaking up
Switch to shotgun - he goes to reload - BOOM down the stairs
Teamate shows to back me up ... reloading the shotgun as he gets into a gun battle with the last surviving asshole and gets his armor blown off in the process
Double big gun bad asses walking down the stairs at the last remaining asshole practically knocked his ass out to the street with buckshot.

Mic chat fucking EXPLODES

I'm just so totally sold it's not even funny. I am going to play a LOT of this multiplayer. I'm actually upgrading my internet/tv company just to have a better connection. So well done...

Jarek23

Banned
I'm at 24** right now so I've played enough to have seen some weird shit. But tonight, me and three of my teammates go trapped in a smoke bomb and one dude from about 7 feet away killed us all with one shotgun blast, ending the round.

Really? 1 shot has that much power and that much spread to have downed all 3 of us? Crazy!

I know it was the purchasable Shotgun, but still.

Edit: Also, why the hell did they have to make the Beret that ugly ass green color. Would have been so much nicer if it was black!

jett

D-Member
Nah you weren't there is a girl who has a very similar hair style as her in the MP you can even see her in one of the pictures that shows up during the loading screen. Haven't seen the face though to determine if it is actually her.

What are the thoughts on being able to save a friend during an execution animation? There are times when someone is being executed by the enemy and I shoot them and they die but it glitches and the animation still goes through and kills my teammate.

You can't save anyone once the execution animation starts. They're dead.

zert

Updating my mic status, today I bought my first headset just for this MP haha.

PSN ID: mzertu (sorry for my non-english accent haha)

GGs to , Jett, CHRP, Bajan, and Dave. Had some crazy games today. This is probably the most fun I've had with an MP game since UC2. Really demands team work.

Also, is anyone else getting kicked out of MP when viewing the leaderboards? Gives me a "Error connecting to the authentication server" when I try to reconnect. After a few tries I can log back on, but still annoying.

S1lent

Had a great time playing with Killthee and others tonight! Feel like I'm starting to get the basics down pretty good.

For the OP
PSN: S1lentTwo
EST
Have mic
Play mostly weekends, weekdays not so much

Maddocks

Doesn't anyone actually like that Downtown map? Ugh....thankfully I've only seen it come up a handful of times.

20+ hours playing the MP. I have played that map 3 times in total. If anyone ever votes for it, I bail via signing out of psn. I refuse to play that map.

SSReborn

You can't save anyone once the execution animation starts. They're dead.

Oh I know that but I'm suggesting an ability to do so and gauging thoughts. There have been times like I've explained above where the enemies killed before the final blow of exectution but the game glitches and the death animation and sound still continue. It would essentially look like a ghost is killing your teammate because the enemy is dead.

Top Bottom