• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Some random observations/tips for anyone who is struggling to do well;

Know when to run
No matter how well you do, there will always be a moment in which you are outnumbered or outmatched by your opponents. In cases like that, know that running away is a viable option in this game. Rushing a stronger opponent head on hoping to get lucky is one of the worst things you can do and there is no shame to be had in falling back on your teammates or hiding until your team respawns. If you have a nail bomb, drop it at your feet while running, as it will either down or slow down an enemy that tries to follow you.

Know the maps
Map knowledge is important in any multiplayer game, but even more so in TLOU. At any spot on a map, you should be aware of all flanking routes your opponent could use to flank you and all routes via which you can flank your enemies. When your team is in a head-on confrontation with the enemy team, it can be hugely advantageous if one of you sneaks around them and flushes them out of cover. Don’t get stuck in tunnel vision and always be alert to possible enemy flanking routes.

Sprinting can be good
Sprinting isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. Letting enemies know your general location can be a good thing, since this means that you can control the engagement by letting them come to you. Can’t find the enemy? Find your team a good spot to defend, booby-trap the place with nail-bombs, set your team up to cover the routes the enemy will likely use and then let them know where you are. You can also sprint for a bit and then silently backtrack to give enemies a false idea of where you are going. Having said that, you shouldn’t be sprinting around the map all the time, since that will get you killed.

Maybe we should make some sort of GAFGuide™ for new players. We'd then at least have something to put in the OP. ;-)

Some random observations/tips for anyone who is struggling to do well;

Know when to run
No matter how well you do, there will always be a moment in which you are outnumbered or outmatched by your opponents. In cases like that, know that running away is a viable option in this game. Rushing a stronger opponent head on hoping to get lucky is one of the worst things you can do and there is no shame to be had in falling back on your teammates or hiding until your team respawns. If you have a nail bomb, drop it at your feet while running, as it will either down or slow down an enemy that tries to follow you.

Know the maps
Map knowledge is important in any multiplayer game, but even more so in TLOU. At any spot on a map, you should be aware of all flanking routes your opponent could use to flank you and all routes via which you can flank your enemies. When your team is in a head-on confrontation with the enemy team, it can be hugely advantageous if one of you sneaks around them and flushes them out of cover. Don’t get stuck in tunnel vision and always be alert to possible enemy flanking routes.

Sprinting can be good
Sprinting isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. Letting enemies know your general location can be a good thing, since this means that you can control the engagement by letting them come to you. Can’t find the enemy? Find your team a good spot to defend, booby-trap the place with nail-bombs, set your team up to cover the routes the enemy will likely use and then let them know where you are. You can also sprint for a bit and then silently backtrack to give enemies a false idea of where you are going. Having said that, you shouldn’t be sprinting around the map all the time, since that will get you killed.

Maybe we should make some sort of GAFGuide™ for new players. We'd then at least have something to put in the OP. ;-)

Excellent post and I like your idea.

Vitanimus

I agree! Starting tips would be wonderful, although multiplayer is by far best experienced. Hopefully people don't get discouraged the first few losses like I did.

Sorian

Banned
Sprinting can be good

This one is some great advice. When I'm playing my covert spec, it is fun to sprint in one direction and then immediately crouch backwards after and flank around to the location you would have been running to, I can usually get some good bow/shiv kills that way.

zma1013

Please explain how you think it's overpowered.

I don't know if it counts as being overpowered, but it does have this issue where people can fire it from around cover without exposing any part of their body so you can't actually shoot back at them. It's bullshit.

Sorian

Banned
I don't know if it counts as being overpowered, but it does have this issue where people can fire it from around cover without exposing any part of their body so you can't actually shoot back at them. It's bullshit.

I have to call bullshit on this, I am a dedicated bow user and I have yet to find a stance that allows me to do this.

ShogunX

Happens with all of the weapons and it's because of lag. I've been shot multiple time when I'm around a corner but you just have to accept it.

zma1013

I have to call bullshit on this, I am a dedicated bow user and I have yet to find a stance that allows me to do this.

I've been phantom shot by it enough times where from my perspective it looks like the bow is clipping slighting through the side of the cover and I can't see any part of there body whatsoever. Only seen it on tall cover where you can only aim out of the side, not on any waist high cover. If I had a capture card to record my TV I'd try to record it but I don't.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That awesome feel you have when you kill four people with a single molotov.

Hint: Don't be that close to your partners in a close room.

KPunk

maybe i've had some bad luck or i am just going crazy, but i feel like since 1.02 patch, i have spawned nearly on top of the opposing team many times. I never once had this issue before this patch. has anyone else noticed this?

Sorian

Banned
maybe i've had some bad luck or i am just going crazy, but i feel like since 1.02 patch, i have spawned nearly on top of the opposing team many times. I never once had this issue before this patch. has anyone else noticed this?

Haven't jumped into the game in a couple days but I'd honestly love spawning right on the other team. They are going down with me and as long as it is early in the match, I'll have to time to make it to that side of the map later to pick up my can o' beans.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I actually find that certain pieces of cover completely block my bow while I can shoot over that same piece of cover with my revolver perfectly fine.

I've been doing great in my last few games. I'm now at 123 survivors and only eight of them complain for food. ;-)

Gorillaz

Why do people run literally everywhere? Do they not kno you light up on the map like a christmas tree? Like it bugs me when people do it

Why do people run literally everywhere? Do they not kno you light up on the map like a christmas tree? Like it bugs me when people do it

sometimes the speed in getting to or reinforcing a position is more advantageous than remaining unseen. You can also get flanked and killed or sniped very quickly and easily if all you do is crouch walk all over the map

Yawnier

Banned
Tried out the MP for this game today.

Bottom Line: Its fun and has a certain aura about it that reminds me of old-school Socom in that teamwork is vital and if you go run 'n' gunning and sprinting everywhere without thinking you are going to get your ass sniped by the other team. I also feel certain influences that remind me of U2 MP from a few years ago.

Sorian

Banned

I only mind if they do it near me because now people are going to investigate where I am trying to hide. If they are far from me though, more power to them for being my distraction.

Grinchy

Banned
Tried out the MP for this game today.

Bottom Line: Its fun and has a certain aura about it that reminds me of old-school Socom in that teamwork is vital and if you go run 'n' gunning and sprinting everywhere without thinking you are going to get your ass sniped by the other team. I also feel certain influences that remind me of U2 MP from a few years ago.

Yeah, I definitely understand the Socom feeling. It's such a strange online game but I'm liking it so much. The side stuff with the camps just makes it even more unique.

Spinluck

I've been phantom shot by it enough times where from my perspective it looks like the bow is clipping slighting through the side of the cover and I can't see any part of there body whatsoever. Only seen it on tall cover where you can only aim out of the side, not on any waist high cover. If I had a capture card to record my TV I'd try to record it but I don't.

Nope, you can wall hug with just about every gun.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah, I definitely understand the Socom feeling. It's such a strange online game but I'm liking it so much. The side stuff with the camps just makes it even more unique.

It is a bit different, good different though.

Like in my other post, the closest thing I can compare the MP in this game to is PS2 Socom and Uncharted 2/3 multiplayer but even then it has much of an identity of it's own.

Spinluck

I am so awful at this it's ridiculous. Pretty sure it comes down to to the amount of variables presented at any one moment. In Uncharted multiplayer Its the shooting combined with the verticality as well as the perks you have to take into account. Where as in this the decision making is clouded by a wall of choice and because you are so fragile it's either you or them for the most part my brain just freezes up.

Preferring the mode with no respawns for the most part.

Team up with me, our drill shall pierce through the heavens.

Hey, Naughty Dog.

Nerf the bow. Please.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, PLEASE.

The bow is great, but unless you have sharpshooter and have the bow fully upgraded, or you're just very skilled with it. Unless you are good at remaining unseen or attacking from blinds spots, you won't win most head on encounters.

It definitely has it's downsides, and not everyone can use it. It actually requires some degree of skill.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The bow is great, but unless you have sharpshooter and have the bow fully upgraded, or you're just very skilled with it. Unless you are good at remaining unseen or attacking from blinds spots, you won't win most head on encounters.

It definitely has it's downsides, and not everyone can use it. It actually requires some degree of skill.
Unless? I take it you meant to say 'Only when', and if that's the case, I disagree. I don't think the bow is overpowered, but it's also not the 'niche-weapon' you claim it to be. I use it without Sharpshooter and buy armor before fully upgrading the bow, and win plenty of 'head-on' encounters. While it does require some skill, it's not a hard weapon to use.

Do yourself a favor and play with GAF instead of randoms. You'll be enjoying the game a lot more.

:)

EDIT: Awesome games people, we kicked some ass back there!

Good games tonight guys! The chat is so helpful for arranging parties :)

Would anyone be up for a few private games sometime? Would be interesting to see what a game can be like with all four players on each team communicating with each-other. Could make for some epic matches :)

Good games tonight guys! The chat is so helpful for arranging parties :)

Would anyone be up for a few private games sometime? Would be interesting to see what a game can be like with all four players on each team communicating with each-other. Could make for some epic matches :)

Count me in!

Is the Machete a one hit kill? I've never used it and never been attacked with it either. All of my skill points are wrapped up support abilities so I don't have a purchasable weapon.

doomquake

It has dat Socom feel

*ps2 tears*

But really, this is a fantastic game in its own. I do want more unlocks and gear and the bow to be less effective against armor..

Alienous

Is the Machete a one hit kill? I've never used it and never been attacked with it either. All of my skill points are wrapped up support abilities so I don't have a purchasable weapon.

In my experience, it's two, but a quick two.

It can also be upgraded, but I don't know if that makes it a one hit kill.

Vitanimus

Great games tonight, super excited for my mic to arrive! I would also like to do some private matches. I'm pretty shocked at just how much more fun the multiplayer is once you work as a team. It really, really clicks.

MYE

Finished the game and I'm about to jump into some MP madness. I'm gonna suck lumpy, clicker balls bit fuck it

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
It has dat Socom feel

*ps2 tears*

But really, this is a fantastic game in its own. I do want more unlocks and gear and the bow to be less effective against armor..
Why do so many people want this? It would instantly make the bow one of the least viable weapons in the game...

GolazoDan

I did like a game earlier where I was playing with randomers and we kinda got whooped. Out of respawns, we weren't gonna win. I'd had a crappy game but two of our team died so me and this other dude just holed up in, like, a bathroom or something. I think I got more kills there than in the entire game before then. We both survived until the time limit expired and that felt like a victory in and of itself.

Dem last 10 seconds were INTENSE. They knew where we were but waited too long before rushing.

Spinluck

Unless? I take it you meant to say 'Only when', and if that's the case, I disagree. I don't think the bow is overpowered, but it's also not the 'niche-weapon' you claim it to be. I use it without Sharpshooter and buy armor before fully upgrading the bow, and win plenty of 'head-on' encounters. While it does require some skill, it's not a hard weapon to use.

Never said it was hard to use- just that it isn't something everyone can use. The pain wobble is definitely more costly with the bow, since the weapon has to be drawn. And you need a quicker reaction time than people with guns, this varies with distance. But with the bow you cannot just press L1 and shoot. Missing with it is also more costly than missing with a gun. I am pretty good with the bow, it's my favorite weapon outside of the revolver. So like the of other weapons I have experienced enough drawbacks with it to know it's not OP, has it's advantages, and it's disadvantages. I'd argue the Semi Auto with suppressor is worse.

doomquake

Why do so many people want this? It would instantly make the bow one of the least viable weapons in the game...

just feels weird. isnt it like one arrow to shatter your armor? or 2? i know talking about realism is kind of dumb, but come on. its an arrow. id rather it not shatter my armor then..just kill me

Top Bottom