• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Never said it was hard to use- just that it isn't something everyone can use. The pain wobble is definitely more costly with the bow, since the weapon has to be drawn. And you need a quicker reaction time than people with guns, this varies with distance. But with the bow you cannot just press L1 and shoot. Missing with it is also more costly than missing with a gun. I am pretty good with the bow, it's my favorite weapon outside of the revolver. So like the of other weapons I have experienced enough drawbacks with it to know it's not OP, has it's advantages, and it's disadvantages. I'd argue the Semi Auto with suppressor is worse.
Oh, it has its drawbacks, on that I agree, but that doesn't make a weapon hard to use. That's saying any shotgun in any game is hard to use 'because it can't kill at long range'. A weapon can have drawbacks and still be easy to use.

TommyLove

Neo Member
I'm loving the flame thrower! I had my first triple kill this morning with it and it was a flawless run with randoms who did basically nothing. My best teammate had only 2 downs, 0 execution and 2 deaths, while the rest of my random teammates who tried to hold the line by sniping but never got any shots off and died.

Final score with my try hard class: 14 downs, 15 executions, 0 deaths and 4 revives. If anyone wants to sent up a private match for a 4vs4 let me know. I could use a challenge.

Spinluck

Oh, it has its drawbacks, on that I agree, but that doesn't make a weapon hard to use. That's saying any shotgun in any game is hard to use 'because it can't kill at long range'. A weapon can have drawbacks and still be easy to use.

While it's not hard to use, it certainly isn't the easiest in the bunch. Then we'd see it more than we see the semi-auto in that case.

Grinchy

Banned
God damn this game is so good. This is the first console shooter I've been addicted to in a long time. I was playing in a full party for 2 or 3 hours straight. We won every single match because we were calling shit out, covering each other when healing/crafting, ect.

When you play in a full group of people using mics, you don't even have to be that good. The teamwork can make up for any aiming deficiencies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanna say thanks to those sending friend/party invites. Unfortunately I gotta wait until the Japanese version is patched before I can play with ya'll.

Confirmed it with a friend (playing an EU copy) where upon accepting/sending a party invite, the MP main menu just produces a blank stare... Hopefully it won't be long before I can get some games in with GAF, as this is surprisingly good online!

Agreed. Good games! (I'm ScareGoat)

KwXZSmo.gif

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Some random observations/tips for anyone who is struggling to do well;

Know when to run
No matter how well you do, there will always be a moment in which you are outnumbered or outmatched by your opponents. In cases like that, know that running away is a viable option in this game. Rushing a stronger opponent head on hoping to get lucky is one of the worst things you can do and there is no shame to be had in falling back on your teammates or hiding until your team respawns. If you have a nail bomb, drop it at your feet while running, as it will either down or slow down an enemy that tries to follow you.

Know the maps
Map knowledge is important in any multiplayer game, but even more so in TLOU. At any spot on a map, you should be aware of all flanking routes your opponent could use to flank you and all routes via which you can flank your enemies. When your team is in a head-on confrontation with the enemy team, it can be hugely advantageous if one of you sneaks around them and flushes them out of cover. Don’t get stuck in tunnel vision and always be alert to possible enemy flanking routes.

Sprinting can be good
Sprinting isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. Letting enemies know your general location can be a good thing, since this means that you can control the engagement by letting them come to you. Can’t find the enemy? Find your team a good spot to defend, booby-trap the place with nail-bombs, set your team up to cover the routes the enemy will likely use and then let them know where you are. You can also sprint for a bit and then silently backtrack to give enemies a false idea of where you are going. Having said that, you shouldn’t be sprinting around the map all the time, since that will get you killed.

Maybe we should make some sort of GAFGuide™ for new players. We'd then at least have something to put in the OP. ;-)

Quoting for new page and to hopefully get some stuff like this in the OP.

I'd like to add a simple but effective one: Use listen mode
Once you're in the thick of it, don't be afraid to abuse this ability. You can "hear" opponents even when they're crouch walking (unless they have a specific skill enabled). But don't forget: you are at risk of being heard too, so as soon as you spot someone approaching your position, stop in cover for a moment to check their movements. When you're completely still, no one can hear you, allowing you to get the drop on people more often. There will be the odd time when you're caught by surprise while waiting, but the satisfaction that comes from getting the drop on opponenets far outweighs this :)

zma1013

Is it just me, or is there no incentive to win other than winning? I mean, not that I personally need some extra reason too, but it seems as though you could possibly get more supplies in certain endgame scenarios by losing. Like, if you have 1 minute to go and your team is up 5 - 3 and all you have to do to win is to sit back and wait the timer out, instead of waiting, couldn't you rush into them several times and suicide yourself to get a single kill to get some extra parts for supplies instead of winning the game which doesn't seem to give you anything extra for winning?

Is it just me, or is there no incentive to win other than winning? I mean, not that I personally need some extra reason too, but it seems as though you could possibly get more supplies in certain endgame scenarios by losing. Like, if you have 1 minute to go and your team is up 5 - 3 and all you have to do to win is to sit back and wait the timer out, instead of waiting, couldn't you rush into them several times and suicide yourself to get a single kill to get some extra parts for supplies instead of winning the game which doesn't seem to give you anything extra for winning?

Yup, it's also advantageous to win 4-3 as opposed to 4-0 in the no respawn mode because you'll have longer to get kills.

AKyemeni

You get a supply bonus when you win a game, more than if you were to lose, obviously. They just don't tell you in the game. An ND developer confirmed it in the Playstation forums.

Alienous

Has anyone managed to have a game of 4 gaffers vs 4 gaffers? that would be amazing.

I want a god damned tournament. I'm tired to trying 100% in every single match, at the risk of my clan dying, with no reward other than "Hey, they didn't die".

Let's get the ball rolling, people.

Qwell

I haven't had a game with a lot of gaf yet, mostly just 1 person from gaf with some random friends I made by playing the game. Also for the winning team question, I'm pretty sure the winning team gets a small supply bonus. I know when I'm checking my parts right before the end of a match I'll see like 3800 parts, and then on the results screen it jumps to like 4300 or something around there.

I haven't looked close enough to see if its a finish match bonus that both teams get or not. I will say though, the best way to get the most parts is for a nice even game, not 16-0 or something. You want to get lots of downs but let the other team revive folks. I also have every single loadout with at least first aid 2 so I can be healing my team like crazy. I had a game last night where I ended with over 7100 parts.

Right, let's get this private match arranged then! I propose we do it tonight around 8-10pm GMT. I can either try and arrange it properly on here or just see who's in the chat at the right time?

How difficult can it be to get 8 Gaffers with mics on at once?

Played this for a few hours last night. Really liking it. I've started to play using the "no parties" mode, which forces teamwork even more. I need to get in on some games with GAF at some point, though.

PSN ID is KINGofCRA5H-
Usually play nights, PST timezone
No mic, I plan on getting one soon.
Please feel free to add me!

#TeamMolotov #TeamRevolver

For anyone who's missed it, quote this post for the PSN name to add to join the chat, which is where most of the games seem to be being set up.

Sorc3r3r

I am fed up of being put in ongoing matches and on top on this be punished with low supplies for my clan.
How am supposed to reverse a match 20-11 or even 20-15 with the other team full loaded and with 2-3 new entry in the other side?
How am I supposed to gain enough supplies for my 90+ clan this way?
It has been 3 time in a row now.

What are you going to do? Leave us with this crappy system or going to try to fix it?
Give supplies boost for entering on ongoing matches or punish to hell who leaves a match.
Right now it's stupid.

I cant be\have not to be punished for other players faults.

Vitanimus

Right, let's get this private match arranged then! I propose we do it tonight around 8-10pm GMT. I can either try and arrange it properly on here or just see who's in the chat at the right time?

How difficult can it be to get 8 Gaffers with mics on at once?

I'll be available around that time. Hopefully the chatroom will be populated enough to get it going.

crispyben

OK, I really want to give this MP a fair shake, but I was only able to get in 1 game out of 5... Two connections lost from host and two connections lost to matchmaking server after the map loaded for several minutes, what gives? And that's on top of waiting 5 minutes at the first "Connecting bar...".

Any technical tips to help me? I never had trouble playing online...

So many glitches

- Black screen, still hear voices... when the match ends PS3 restarts.
- Won't respawn for the entire match.
- Ghost town. All players disappear for me but I'm still running around... died from an invisible bomb, respawned when it was like 15 seconds left... still couldn't see anyone.

I'll be available around that time. Hopefully the chatroom will be populated enough to get it going.

Cool, there were only about 3 of us in there when I signed out a minute or two ago. I'll be back on after dinner and hopefully we'll reach the magic 8. I've never been so keen to try a private match lol.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Some awesome matches with Silverhawaiian. Got a ridiculous streak in a match on Lakeside, and my last match on Checkpoint was one of the most intense matches I played yet. Both matches resulted in an excess of ~50 supplies, despite being @ ~120 survivors.

Izick

So I'm a little iffy on this. I absolutely loved the single-player. One of the best I've ever played in my many years of gaming. I'm just not sure how I feel about the multiplayer aspect of it though, as I don't know if I like it translated to that space. Either way I've been playing a bit of it and I'm starting to understand the mechanics and quirks of it more and more.

Anyway, as a semi off-topic related thing, how exactly do the Online Passes work? Are they system-wide instead of profile specific? Because I used one on my PS3 and for some reason another account on there still has access to TLoU's multiplayer as well.

N2NOther

Banned
GAF: N2NOther
PSN: N2NOther
Have mic but due to hours I can play I can't talk much except on weekends.
West Coast I can play in the am hours from 6am to 7:30 am and on weekends usually from 6-am to 8 am and from 10 am to 4 pm.

I like to have fun but I do play to win.

Gaf Username : HEALTH_DISCO
PSN ID : HEALTH_DISCO
Timezone : GMT -5 EAST
Mic

Available right now.
On weekdays evenings and week-ends...
See u soon GAF !

destrudo

Yeah, there needs to be some bonus incentives for winning a match. I usually avoid playing survivors because most of the matches I play go 4-0 and I hardly get any supplies. Right now I find the best way to get parts is to stay behind team mates, never shooting the enemies, and letting them take hits so I can heal them over and over. There have even been times where our team was doing so good that I had to help out the other team in order to keep my clan numbers up or to finish a challenge. For instance I wouldn't cover a team mate so I could revive him when he's down, or I'd show up on the radar to bait the enemy into flanking team mates, etc. It makes me sound like a horrible player, but this is what it came to when I wanted to get everything unlocked.

This would be the perfect time for me to put up my PSN info for party games, lol. I don't do shit like this anymore though, after I got that last mask unlocked I kind of just mess around now and help other people unlock shit.

I'm giving up on this. It just never clicked for me and the only thing that drove me so far is wanting to platinum the game. I just can't imagine playing through 84 matches twice, while hopefully not wiping, to get 100%. I should have probably put more effort into playing with you gaffers. I need to be more proactive for future releases.

Sorian

Banned
I am fed up of being put in ongoing matches and on top on this be punished with low supplies for my clan.
How am supposed to reverse a match 20-11 or even 20-15 with the other team full loaded and with 2-3 new entry in the other side?
How am I supposed to gain enough supplies for my 90+ clan this way?
It has been 3 time in a row now.

What are you going to do? Leave us with this crappy system or going to try to fix it?
Give supplies boost for entering on ongoing matches or punish to hell who leaves a match.
Right now it's stupid.

I cant be\have not to be punished for other players faults.

Why are you trying to reverse the match? Winning or losing has no bearing your supplies. Be grateful you got thrown into a losing match, now each of those supply boxes will have 100 parts in it for you. Take rounds around the map and collect.

KPunk

a good friend of mine and I play quiet a bit. wouldn't mind playing with some GAF as well. am interested in some intense 4v4 private battles.

Add me: KPunks

Top Bottom