• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

They really need to fix the Dam location respawns. Me and a teammate respawned and a person on the enemy team placed a nail bomb right at the respawn, and when we respawned we just died. Kinda messed up since I respawned after dying from that and guess what I'm greeted too... another nail bomb right on it and I died again.

I'm guessing the dude knew the respawn locations and just placed them at the respawns.

Either that's a strategy or something that needs to be fixed.

JB1981

Finally got some time to dig into the MP. Didn't realize it was this good. The gameplay is a breath of fresh air. Slow, methodical and strategic. I love it.

I've made it to week 8 day 4, with 109 survivors, no sick or hungry. Promptly have two terrible games, and it just so happened that I was doing one of the "missions" (downs with the hunting rifle) where I only got to the 2nd tier, and I lost 60+ survivors, down to 40 something. Welp. At least now I only need 38 supplies per game! ><

h6JsO6fl.jpg

GAF Private Match Saturday!
Jump into the chat room on Saturday at 1 PM PDT for some private GAF matches.

t1373140800z4.png

If anyone needs a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it and send a friend request. I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on.

Just noticed this and sent an FR, hope to get some games in.

oti

Banned
h6JsO6fl.jpg

GAF Private Match Saturday!
Jump into the chat room on Saturday at 1 PM PDT for some private GAF matches.

t1373140800z4.png

If anyone needs a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it and send a friend request. I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on.

Hi, would you please add me to the chat? I sent you a FR. Thank you in advance!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'll be logging on in ~45 mins from now to send out chat invites before 1 PM PDT.

Probably a dumb question - when you "finish" a side, do you need to unlock everything again? Feels like it's taking forever to unlock bow and some skills and it'll suck going back to square one :/

Probably a dumb question - when you "finish" a side, do you need to unlock everything again? Feels like it's taking forever to unlock bow and some skills and it'll suck going back to square one :/

Nah, everything carries over from the looks of things

Only playd one match as Firefly, got about 10 times the required resources :p

Sorian

Banned
They really need to fix the Dam location respawns. Me and a teammate respawned and a person on the enemy team placed a nail bomb right at the respawn, and when we respawned we just died. Kinda messed up since I respawned after dying from that and guess what I'm greeted too... another nail bomb right on it and I died again.

I'm guessing the dude knew the respawn locations and just placed them at the respawns.

Either that's a strategy or something that needs to be fixed.

Why would that not be a strategy? Place the bomb where people will go. The best spots are the respawn points and hidden near the supply crates. Nothing better than watching someone open the crate to get their goodies mere milliseconds before being obliterated.

Why would that not be a strategy? Place the bomb where people will go. The best spots are the respawn points and hidden near the supply crates. Nothing better than watching someone open the crate to get their goodies mere milliseconds before being obliterated.
I do this as well and I still fall for it. Sucks so much. But then I realized listening mode does show where the bomb is(I think).

Killthee

Is it supposed to start in 50 mins? And idea how many people we have, or the tournament format?

Less than 30 from now.

t1373140800z4.png

No idea how many people, but hopefully no more than 16 since that's the limit for the chat room. As for the format, it's just gonna be some private matches for fun. Nothing serious

Less than 30 from now.

t1373140800z4.png

No idea how many people, but hopefully no more than 16 since that's the limit for the chat room. As for the format, it's just gonna be some private matches for fun. Nothing serious

Cheers.

If we're short one or two I can try and get a couple from Football-Gaf involved :)

Sora_N

Any tips? I really want to play a fair amount before it gets harder to find matches in the future. I always get killed.

jett

D-Member
Played some good GAF games. I didn't really like Survivors that muchl. I just enjoy taking chances and going a little crazy sometimes :p

Played some good GAF games. I didn't really like Survivors that muchl. I just enjoy taking chances and going a little crazy sometimes :p
Yeah GGs, yo. I think I might actually like survivors more than SR tbh. :p
SR is starting to get on my nerves with the spawns. Checkpoint in particular is pretty bad. Way too often have I walked out of the spawn just to get shot. >:[

Any tips? I really want to play a fair amount before it gets harder to find matches in the future. I always get killed.

Stay close to your teammate/s
Do not move with both of you looking in the same direction
Do not try and revive people who are too stupid to crawl to a safe spot
Mark enemies
Do not sprint unless intentionally distracting the enemy, or enemy is far away
Make use of bombs/smokebombs and molotovs
Only craft first aid kits when needed
Only do special executions when risk is minimal
Only melee as a last resort, do not forego the chance to shoot someone for the chance to punch them
Use Body Armour and other purchasables

and most importantly

Make sure not to throw molotovs in a way which puts yourself in danger :p

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Had a game this afternoon before going into work and it turned into the most glorious loss I have ever had in a multiplayer game of any sort...

My team was terrible. No mics.. no teamwork. All of them scattered around The School and getting picked off over and over. No heals, no revives the entire match. Headlong one by one into a firing squad. I do my best to play a support role planting MANY bombs and gearing up as much as i can with only 2 or 3 kills i've managed to work out via hard flanks or catching someone crafting.
Predictably I'm the last man standing with the other team still sitting comfy at 19 fucking respawns.
Activate beast mode:
Got the money to buy my shotgun -
Started picking up at least 1 nail bomb in every supply box i hit -
Upgrade my revolver to max and buy up to 17 shots for it ...

At this point i'm completely silent. Jogging or crouch walking everywhere, laying bombs, hiding and letting the whole team go by me, restock supplies and plant more bombs, craft some molotovs and then I hear it... the first of maybe 6 bombs go off and I make for the rear of it's position. What followed was maybe close to 10 minutes of the greatest shotgun/revolver swapping, bomb baiting with sprint, molotov hucking perfection ever managed out of my DS3. I wipe their whole team. TWICE... down to 11 respawns. I only lost because they finally managed to tree me in the corner garage room and I missed 2 decent chances at a double kill with two different molotovs.
I was 40 supply points below their point leader. It completely cured/fed my entire clan and got me another 7 survivors :D

This shit is crazy addicting.

Sorian

Banned
I do this as well and I still fall for it. Sucks so much. But then I realized listening mode does show where the bomb is(I think).

It does, but it's such a small outline that it can be hard to notice sometimes. Pro tip: if you see an enemies trap, you can mark it for your teammates the same way you mark enemy players.

I also tend to not go near supply crates later in the match unless I just donned some armor for this very reason. A lot of people have been learning to booby trap these areas.

jett

D-Member
Yeah GGs, yo. I think I might actually like survivors more than SR tbh. :p
SR is starting to get on my nerves with the spawns. Checkpoint in particular is pretty bad. Way too often have I walked out of the spawn just to get shot. >:[

Huh, never happened to me.

Sora_N

Stay close to your teammate/s
Do not move with both of you looking in the same direction
Do not try and revive people who are too stupid to crawl to a safe spot
Mark enemies
Do not sprint unless intentionally distracting the enemy, or enemy is far away
Make use of bombs/smokebombs and molotovs
Only craft first aid kits when needed
Only do special executions when risk is minimal
Only melee as a last resort, do not forego the chance to shoot someone for the chance to punch them
Use Body Armour and other purchasables

and most importantly

Make sure not to throw molotovs in a way which puts yourself in danger :p

Thanks, I'll try that out for sure. Some of those I learned the hard way lol.

cametall

Sooo can the bow be fired like a semi auto pistol? I've never tried using it but I had a guy fire that thing like a semi auto (fast, repeatedly) ... which felt a bit unfair.

Killthee

I sent you a message regarding an invite for the gaf games, but didn't even get a reply. :/
Sorry man, I must have missed you. I logged on 15 mins before the start time I gave out and sent out an invite to everyone who sent the chat account a friend request and then I switched back to my real account and started playing. By the time 1:00 rolled out, the chat room was full and since you can't see the XMB message icon when the chat interface is active I didn't see it.

Sooo can the bow be fired like a semi auto pistol? I've never tried using it but I had a guy fire that thing like a semi auto (fast, repeatedly) ... which felt a bit unfair.

I feel like there's some weird animation stuff going on with the bow. I've definitely been hit with arrows while the guy on my screen is clearly still holding the string back.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just started playing a bit last night. Fucking awful playing with Randoms especially bad since I don't have a mic to belittle them.

I'd graciously accept GAF friend invites for some MP action.

I'm in EST and usually play in the evenings. Check my profile for my PSN ID. I don't want to throw it out into the ether here for lurkers.

ps. If you send me a FR FFS don't leave it blank. Say "GAF" or something.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
psn: Silkysm00th - West coast and I work swing so i'm usually on both late at night after about 12:00 and then in the early afternoon as well. would love some friends on my list that play online so i could just jump into a good match instead of waiting for a mix of 0 to 58 level randoms.

Nice games I had in the MP with the gaffers here. We wrecked everyone, and a lot of time won matches 16-0. Also some good times with our whole team getting killed by one molotov lol.

Though I still hate that out of the 4 of us I was always at the bottom of the leaderboards, I need to step my game up.

Sorry man, I must have missed you. I logged on 15 mins before the start time I gave out and sent out an invite to everyone who sent the chat account a friend request and then I switched back to my real account and started playing. By the time 1:00 rolled out, the chat room was full and since you can't see the XMB message icon when the chat interface is active I didn't see it.

That's okay dude, thanks for explaining anyways. :)

I tried playing some non-party games for a while. It wasn't much of a great idea. My logic is, if there's no parties, you'd be more likely to co-operate since you don't know the other players, and teamwork is pretty essential to win. And going against a team with mics when you have randoms with their own agenda isn't much fun...right?

Anyways, it pretty much was useless, since most of the guys I played with ended up running off me or whoever stranded, easy to pick off. I even had one guy just leave me to die when he was nearby...no enemies or anything to prevent him. Instead he went over to pick up supplies while I die some feet way. Classic. :)

Vitanimus

Nice games I had in the MP with the gaffers here. We wrecked everyone, and a lot of time won matches 16-0. Also some good times with our whole team getting killed by one molotov lol.

Though I still hate that out of the 4 of us I was always at the bottom of the leaderboards, I need to step my game up.

I am the same! Usually doesn't bother me when playing with gaffers because its so addicting and fun.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I've made it to week 8 day 4, with 109 survivors, no sick or hungry. Promptly have two terrible games, and it just so happened that I was doing one of the "missions" (downs with the hunting rifle) where I only got to the 2nd tier, and I lost 60+ survivors, down to 40 something. Welp. At least now I only need 38 supplies per game! ><

I still have no idea what these missions are and why it goes from week 5 to week 6 etc. Then again I haven't gotten passed an hour of the single player.

Can someone explain to me how survivors and the missions affect the multiplayer? If it is in anyway related to single player please do not spoil it for me. Since I have all day off tmrw I'm hoping to beat the game.

Tonight I have a couple beers and its going to be all multiplayer. :p Mr.Completely, zert, Shogun, Tagg any Gaffers online right now lets team up and dominate dudes.

PSN: Kastrioti516

Killthee

I still have no idea what these missions are and why it goes from week 5 to week 6 etc. Then again I haven't gotten passed an hour of the single player.

Can someone explain to me how survivors and the missions affect the multiplayer? If it is in anyway related to single player please do not spoil it for me. Since I have all day off tmrw I'm hoping to beat the game.

Tonight I have a couple beers and its going to be all multiplayer. :p Mr.Completely, zert, Shogun, Tagg any Gaffers online right now lets team up and dominate dudes.

PSN: Kastrioti516
The only thing the mp metagame affects is the one time use boosters you get, the customization unlocks, and the rank next to your name in the lobby.

Basically each mp match equals 1 day and depending on your performance you'll either gain survivors or get them sick/dead. Survive a week and your rank goes up 1, survive 12 weeks and you get a star. Every few days you'll also get a mission that requires you to complete certain things in game during the next 3 matches (kills with specific weapons, heals, gifts, marks, etc...). If you complete the mission you'll get some one use boosters and a reward for completion (new survivors). On specific weeks (6, 8, 10, 11, 12) you'll get a mission that puts 100% of your clan at risk. Fail it and everyone dies forcing you to start back on week 1, complete it and you'll lose at least 20% of your pop.

You'll get the customization unlocks for growing your clan population to certain levels.

Yeah that one molotov was pretty epic. I can't believe we fell for it.

It was a lot of fun playing with people that actually communicate and can play the game. It is unfortunate that the other teams didn't stand a chance. That one match where 2 of 4 rage quit was a bit sad, but the kid on the other team seemed like a good sport about it.

I wouldn't worry about taking bottom slot in those games. I was running field medic (first aid 3, collector 2, sharpshooter 1 and a revolver) while on a 100% firefly mission (additional 10% collector). Every heal would net me over 50 points and that was my role (with some good kill streaks as well). With that loadout I can generally take top spot even if I only get one or two kills. Field medic, marking enemies and landing shots even if they are assists add up quick. Hell, you even get points for crafting.

Grinchy

Banned
You know what would be pretty cool is a PS4 version of the MP at 60fps, 1080p, and free to play. Charge for pink hats or weapon skins or something.

I hate Checkpoint or whatever it's called... it's the only map where I tend to absolutely suck ass seeing as I'm a support/craft/heal type of guy.

Yet this one fucking map is just like blitz bonaza and doesn't really feel fun at all. (Salty)

Top Bottom