• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

L3E2

Yup, the 'match-making' system (if you can call it that) is pretty poor.

I'm regularly dumped into games with far, far stronger players on the other team. It's no fun.

Oh man I know how you feel and it really sucks.

For the past two days I'd randomly play solo (no party option) and I'd constantly be matched with a team of levels 0-2. I'd check the scoreboard and see the other team consists of a level 10, two level 20-30s and a level 52. I dunno why it keeps happening to me, and its not even an exaggeration. So frustrating!

Wow, some dude hacked LoU MP and SP and is charging to give infinite ammo, health, and items. Just saw the video, hope ND fixes it. Wish Sony would brick PS3's for stuff like that

mrpeabody

The multi is pretty fun but the matchmaking is bizarre.

If you have four level 2 guys and four level 30 guys, why would you put all the high-level players on the same team?

WHY.

That's disappointing to hear. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Here's a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0I04cs7ZQ

smh

Hope we don't run into this too often.

mrpeabody said:
The multi is pretty fun but the matchmaking is bizarre.

If you have four level 2 guys and four level 30 guys, why would you put all the high-level players on the same team?

WHY.
Lol, what matchmaking? ND has never had good mm in their MP games. Been the same since the UC2 beta.

Party splitting still happens too. Which is dumb because the game fills up pretty quick when the game starts.

ArkkAngel007

Central

I currently don't have a mic as I recently misplaced my bluetooth. I'll be sure to update it though when I locate it and confirm everything works well enough. However, I do mark and gift plenty to make up for the current silence.

Play late afternoon on weekdays and Saturdays. Sundays can be all day affairs.

So, I just finished the game. I'll jump into the multiplayer tomorrow.

Mic
BlackGoku03
East Coast
Can play normally after work around 7PM.

squidyj

I haven't had a game that hasn't lagged horr ibly in days. It's getting really frustrating getting shot by people before they pop out of cover.

IceBreak

Banned
Pretty sure I ran into folks starting with the flamethrower and the HQ sniper two games in a row (different people). This is disappointing because I love the multiplayer. Both were in parties. None were invincible though.

jett

D-Member
Pretty sure I ran into folks starting with the flamethrower and the HQ sniper two games in a row (different people). This is disappointing because I love the multiplayer. Both were in parties. None were invincible though.

Damn hackers. You need to write down their names and report them when you see this happen.

Whelan

Banned
I've had a dabble at the multiplayer. Ready to team up:

GAF Username: Whelan
PSN ID: The_Wh3lan
Timezone: GMT
No Mic for now
Usually play evenings

IceBreak

Banned
Damn hackers. You need to write down their names and report them when you see this happen.

Like Sony would do anything. I have high hopes for the PS4 but expecting hackers to get banned on the PS3 is...naive at best. Our best hope is a patch. As long as it's not super common, it shouldn't be a big issue. And I never noticed anyone doing it playing solo.

Love the 'no parties' mode. I'm sure other games do it but it has really made the game much more pleasant solo.

jett

D-Member
Like Sony would do anything. I have high hopes for the PS4 but expecting hackers to get banned on the PS3 is...naive at best. Our best hope is a patch. As long as it's not super common, it shouldn't be a big issue. And I never noticed anyone doing it playing solo.

Love the 'no parties' mode. I'm sure other games do it but it has really made the game much more pleasant solo.

Naughty Dog has banned cheaters in Uncharted before.

cametall

Probably just my luck but I had an entire enemy team have molotovs at the beginning of a match. I guess in theory they could each have hit up 2 supply boxes and gotten the supplies... maybe even one...

Achamian

I'm also loving the no parties mode. However I'm up for some party play.

Mic
Gaf id. Achamian
Psn Id. CptSupermarket
Time zone gmt
Usually play evenings.

I say that most people should try their best to play with mics. Even if it's just the one person talking it goes miles in this game. Just hearing someone say "there's 2 guys ahead" is good enough help to the whole team. I try to play with my mic on and I'm usually winning games with strangers because they're more aware. Just my 2 cents.

Vashetti

Banned
I say that most people should try their best to play with mics. Even if it's just the one person talking it goes miles in this game. Just hearing someone say "there's 2 guys ahead" is good enough help to the whole team. I try to play with my mic on and I'm usually winning games with strangers because they're more aware. Just my 2 cents.

Yup, I've been playing with a friend on PSN with a mic and it's so helpful.

This game (and attempting to be a more social gamer) has finally driven me to buy a mic.

Grinchy

Banned

I have been playing with a group of people who use mics and we win 98% of our games. That statistic is 95% accurate, too. We're shocked when we lose because we win so often.

The best part about this MP is that you can do you and still make enough supplies to keep the hunt alive for the trophies.

Ain't no bad CoD team going to stop me from crafting and reviving.

Edit: Firefly trophy - get. Hunter to go then I'll venture into single player :p

Been playing a lot over the weekend.

PSN: squareislife
Time: Mountain

I'm usually on after 8:30 at night. I have the pulse headset so I'm up for chat. I don't hesitate to mute motherfuckers though!

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm starting to get a little better at this , its all about momentum I guess. If you start out slow its going to be a long match.

I'm starting to get a little better at this , its all about momentum I guess. If you start out slow its going to be a long match.

I find that when my team and I go slow instead of just running into the fray, the matches are much more tense and/or fun. Long, close matches are the best.

If there is ONE thing to do in TLoU multiplayer, it's stick with your team. I cannot for the life of me tolerate people who just SPRINT out by themselves.

I find that when my team and I go slow instead of just running into the fray, the matches are much more tense and/or fun. Long, close matches are the best.

If there is ONE thing to do in TLoU multiplayer, it's stick with your team. I cannot for the life of me tolerate people who just SPRINT out by themselves.

You'll most likely get more supplies from a close match rather than a match where you just roll your competition. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing.

zma1013

Its awful because you don't get enough ammo , once you run out you're basically dead since hand to hand is useless. Also the matchmaking is horrible because i keep getting paired up with people that are rank 60 and have the better weapons when i'm like a rank 2.

Running out of ammo and dying is a punishment for wasting your ammo. This game punishes you for wasting it. You get more ammo by downing and killing people and getting the supplies they drop, grabbing the level supplies, and/or buying more with the points you get while playing the game. 3 different avenues for getting more ammo. I make my shots count and I rarely run out, although when I do, I retreat back to my teammates and work as bait so my teammates can kill the people and just generally support them until I'm able to get ammo. You also happen to have melee weapons, shivs, molotovs, and bombs to use as weapons. You should always have at least 1 way to kill a person on you.

Nobody has "better" weapons, they all have strength and weaknesses. I use the burst rifle and the shorty which are immediately available to everyone in the assault class and I have topped 120 clan members and constantly do good in matches. Bow and sniper are also available to everyone at the beginning in other kits.

Im available to party up most days.

PSN:Earlymik3
Eastern time Zone
Have a Mic, willing to play with those without one.
Evenings on weekedays, and afternoons on saturday, can play anytime on sunday

Zee-Row

Banned

Another good game by me!
1048176_10151715594106591_1813645730_o.jpg

heytred

Neo Member
Just started playing the multiplayer today and constantly had the problem of oblivious teammates. Looking for players who will be on regularly.

PSN ID: heytredTHC

Feel free to toss a friend request my way. I promise, I won't slow anyone down. <3

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Playing right now if anyone wants to play. Having shitty teammates can really ruin the experience. I'm playing right now with randoms with no sense of teamwork.

Usually in Gears of War, Halo, CoD, Counter Strike, Battlefield etc. I can go on my own and do fine without teammates but this game punishes you without cooperation or communication with teammates.

Didly

Banned
Roster updated, and newly improved!

I've given priority to people with mics at the top of the list. The list is now sorted by mic and then location.

Add people!

P.S. My bad, I've been AWOL.

IceBreak

Banned
Something I just noticed about this game: It's pretty much the first game I bought that I didn't get the season pass for...and the only one I'll probably actually need it with.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got to 120 survivors today :) I had 116 and i played a pretty good round and got 4 new survivors. In the next round, i got another survivor as well, so now i'm up to 121 :) That is probably the highest i will get though. I'm at week 10 now, maybe i will manage to get 85 survivors after week 12 has ended.

cametall

Has anyone run into this?

I was playing last night and a guy who was on my team one match and then on the other the next match seemed to be lagging, but his voice came through perfect and he had no issues getting kills. His connection icon indicated he had a perfect connection.

Yet he was damn near impossible to hit because he would freeze then suddenly jerk forward, move a little, then freeze again, and jerk forward, rinse and repeat.

OH! Also, the shiving animation makes you invulnerable, which is BS. I lost a kill because of that.

I love MP in this game but the more I play the more glaring some of the small issues become.

Faithless

Faithless327
Time: Pacific
Usually mid-day or late late evenings.

I don't get a chance to play much, so I'm only //4, but finally getting into good team matches has been amazing. Be great to gang up with you guys.

zma1013

Wondering why there are still people on the leaderboards with like 315,790 parts per minute. I think there's something wrong there.

jett

D-Member
Wondering why there are still people on the leaderboards with like 315,790 parts per minute. I think there's something wrong there.

My total playing time in Uncharted 2 is -350287 hours. Yes, minus. Best to ignore ND's leaderboards.

Elrina

Neo Member
Finally finished with the SP and decided to play some MP this morning, and ~

I officially suck at it. It's fun, for sure, but I am terrible to the point that I got a message from somebody random telling me how much I suck. I tend to try to stay with the group, or at least one person if they all split up, but I can't shoot for shit, virtually all of the kills I got in the 7~ hours I played this morning were from bombs/molotovs.

And I only just got to week 4, is it supposed to take that long? It's going to take me a couple weeks to finish the MP trophies at this rate. x_x

Also, for some reason I could never hear anybody. I don't have a mic myself (or at least not one available to me most of the time), but it was very disconcerting never being able to hear anybody else talking either over all that time. I got the feeling a few times people might have been trying to say something to me, and probably getting annoyed/frustrated that I'm completely ignoring them because I can't hear anybody talking. I checked and I don't have anybody muted, I just can't hear anyone idk why.

JB1981

I really, really like this game but I don't like how I can't tell when an enemy has an upgraded/modded rifle or handgun. Hate getting outshot. Hate that element of randomness in this game.

Top Bottom