• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Anyone playing without a party?

I'm letting my brother play online right now, but if you're still on in about an hour we can start a party like last night.

Played with Jerimii and killgore for a couple hours today. Out of like 25 matches I think we lost about 3 or 4. Great games you guys, I just got to get a mic so I can actually communicate with you guys. Felt left out without talking to you guys, but I was listening to you guys as you warned me about someone around the corner etc.

Anyone know how popular the online is right now in terms of population playing? Hopefully it gets really popular so we can start seeing some cash tournaments. The online is the perfect child of Gears of War and Splinter Cell: PT mixed together.

zert

I'm letting my brother play online right now, but if you're still on in about an hour we can start a party like last night.

Played with Jerimii and killgore for a couple hours today. Out of like 25 matches I think we lost about 3 or 4. Great games you guys, I just got to get a mic so I can actually communicate with you guys. Felt left out without talking to you guys, but I was listening to you guys as you warned me about someone around the corner etc.

Anyone know how popular the online is right now in terms of population playing? Hopefully it gets really popular so we can start seeing some cash tournaments. The online is the perfect child of Gears of War and Splinter Cell: PT mixed together.

send me a msg if im still online!

geestack

If anyone's ever up for Survivors, I'm always available for some matches

PSN ID: geestack

This is probably the most tense MP I've ever played, so addicting. Currently on week 12, but I can't ever seem to get more than 78 survivors. Every match I only get like 10-15 supplies left over from matches, no matter how well I play.

squidyj

You know what would be pretty cool is a PS4 version of the MP at 60fps, 1080p, and free to play. Charge for pink hats or weapon skins or something.

1080p yes, 60fps? I'd rather have shinier graphics. I mean, they'd have to write the engine to make it work on ps4 anyways, and test it.

Åesop;68573556 said:
Soo.. I guess you could say you're The Last of Us :eek:

aozEV7m_700ba_v1.gif

Now why would someone make this into a perfect loop

Grinchy

Banned
The multiplayer in this game just sucks , I hate that this mode is an obstacle for me to get platinum.

You'll get better at it, don't worry. And play with gaffers, make some new friends online, ect. It's a lot more fun when you don't play with randoms and run around aimlessly while getting killed the whole time.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The multiplayer in this game just sucks , I hate that this mode is an obstacle for me to get platinum.

Care to explain why it "just sucks"or are you just trolling? If you dislike the MP that much I fail to see why you'd post that it sucks with nothing to back it up, combined with the only reason you're forcing yourself over such an "obstacle" is for an online trophy.

rObit

Banned
I'm having a really hard time enjoying the multiplayer as well. I really want to like it and want to keep playing.

It seems like the keys to success are:
1. Don't move (ever, if possible)
2. Have a melee weapon.

I know it's more complicated than that, but this game is seriously unforgiving to those who don't know the maps. It's really hard to get into at first. I think I'm gonna keep trying, but its not doing a lot to help me out.

Thinking back, I remember CS being similarly unforgiving at first. I guess I've just gotten soft.

I do really enjoy the facebook integration though. I love seeing who gets pulled into my clan next. Keep digging that latrine, Jared.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm having a really hard time enjoying the multiplayer as well. I really want to like it and want to keep playing.

2. Have a melee weapon.

I know it's more complicated than that, but this game is seriously unforgiving to those who don't know the maps. It's really hard to get into at first. I think I'm gonna keep trying, but its not doing a lot to help me out.

Thinking back, I remember CS being similarly unforgiving at first. I guess I've just gotten soft.

Yes, it is fucking hard. I found out through the leaderboards I have a bunch of GAFFERs already on my FL that are playing it. Now I just need to find them when they are online. I'm looking for you KillThee.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

2. Have a melee weapon.

I do really enjoy the facebook integration though. I love seeing who gets pulled into my clan next. Keep digging that latrine, Jared.

You're absolutely wrong on both points, and I'm wondering if you've even played the game. For one, melee weapons are usually only used when you've run out of ammo, or you've snuck up on someone. Unless you're drunk and fucking around, you're not going to run into the middle of a map and rush a squad of 4, or even one dude with decent aim, when you only have a bat.

Last of Us MultiPlayer is a third person shooter with stealth, and cover mechanics mixed in. Just like in Gears of War you're not going to rush out into the middle of a map with no cover unless you want to get killed. You have to move with your teammates and grab certain points in each map (such as sniper spots, item respawns) and work together against the other team which may consist of snipers, assault classes, stealth classes etc,

As for not knowing the maps being used as a complaint, that can be said about any online shooter ever. That being said the maps with the exception of about one or two are all fantastic.

Zee-Row

Banned
Care to explain why it "just sucks"or are you just trolling? If you dislike the MP that much I fail to see why you'd post that it sucks with nothing to back it up, combined with the only reason you're forcing yourself over such an "obstacle" is for an online trophy.

Its awful because you don't get enough ammo , once you run out you're basically dead since hand to hand is useless. Also the matchmaking is horrible because i keep getting paired up with people that are rank 60 and have the better weapons when i'm like a rank 2.

Zee-Row

Banned
Stealth is also useless since people can still see you even when you're moving low and slow , only when you're standing still.

Its awful because you don't get enough ammo , once you run out you're basically dead since hand to hand is useless. Also the matchmaking is horrible because i keep getting paired up with people that are rank 60 and have the better weapons when i'm like a rank 2.

You can buy ammo...not to mention ammo drops are plentiful from the boxes. Honestly, it should be on only very very rare occasions that you don't have any bullets left at all.

Out of curiosity, are you playing in the no parties matchmaking? That definitely helps a bit when it comes to not getting destroyed. But a revolver + semi auto rifle is definitely all you need to succeed. Just takes practice though of course.

Zee-Row

Banned
You can buy ammo...not to mention ammo drops are plentiful from the boxes. Honestly, it should be on only very very rare occasions that you don't have any bullets left at all.

Out of curiosity, are you playing in the no parties matchmaking? That definitely helps a bit when it comes to not getting destroyed. But a revolver + semi auto rifle is definitely all you need to succeed. Just takes practice though of course.

Its hard to buy ammo when you can't get any kills though. The boxes that you can get things out of sometimes drop parts but not enough to make a difference.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

2. Have a melee weapon.

You have to keep moving or else you'll get flanked. At the same time though it's crucial to be aware of your surrounding and know when to stop moving so you don't get spotted via Listen Mode.

If you want to learn the maps without the tension of a live match you can start a private match by yourself to get a feel for the maps.

Yes, it is fucking hard. I found out through the leaderboards I have a bunch of GAFFERs already on my FL that are playing it. Now I just need to find them when they are online. I'm looking for you KillThee.
I'll send you a chat invite next time I log on.

Its hard to buy ammo when you can't get any kills though. The boxes that you can get things out of sometimes drop parts but not enough to make a difference.

Maybe it's just me, but the supply boxes seem to be generous in giving ammo when you are starting to get low. But I have to question how you're using your ammunition. What weapons are you using? Just curious, for example if you're using a semi-auto rifle for example, you want to use it for mid-range purposes, and 3 shots will down any enemy (without armor), so you get an idea of what you need to have before you engage in combat. Any long range shots though and you're generally wasting your ammo.

I would probably recommend playing with some GAF'ers. Get an idea of how the game works and then it'll start clicking a bit more.

Zee-Row

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but the supply boxes seem to be generous in giving ammo when you are starting to get low. But I have to question how you're using your ammunition. What weapons are you using? Just curious, for example if you're using a semi-auto rifle for example, you want to use it for mid-range purposes, and 3 shots will down any enemy (without armor), so you get an idea of what you need to have before you engage in combat. Any long range shots though and you're generally wasting your ammo.

I would probably recommend playing with some GAF'ers. Get an idea of how the game works and then it'll start clicking a bit more.

I usually use a revolver and a hunting rifle since I get the rare kill from someone when they are preoccupied with some else.

I usually use a revolver and a hunting rifle since I get the rare kill from someone when they are preoccupied with some else.

I would see about switching to the semi-auto rifle. The hunting rifle is tricky since I'm not good with headshots and it takes two body shots otherwise to take someone down. Obviously it's not great for one on one encounters either, though the Revolver does work well.

I love this game
Ended the night on a great note. Playing with randoms and the game starts off and it 2 vs. 4. My teammate gives me his taunt or his knowing nod and we start creeping. This dude and I just clicked, we nab 3 downs in quick succession and then retreat. We eventually get killed and spawn and immediately get pinned in the gym of the highschool. Some how we pick a few of them off before they overwhelmed us. At this point we were up 16-11. I don't think we ever allowed them to get a revive the entire game and eventually won as time ran out 11-3. Any competent team would of crushed us surely, but to go from being hunted and under constant barrage to being the aggressor while still being down 2 vs. 4 was so badass.

I havnt been able to stick with a multiplayer game in so long, but all I want to do is play this game. I'm starting to have dreams about hunters closing in on me.

Edit. Spelling

Zee-Row

Banned
I would see about switching to the semi-auto rifle. The hunting rifle is tricky since I'm not good with headshots and it takes two body shots otherwise to take someone down. Obviously it's not great for one on one encounters either, though the Revolver does work well.

I'll try it even though i'm not very good at close range. Also what happens when all your survivors die?

I'll try it even though i'm not very good at close range. Also what happens when all your survivors die?

Start over from the beginning in terms of the Firefly/Hunter storyline. (You don't lose your unlocks of course)

Haven't had it happen yet, hoping I don't jinx myself, I'm at week 10. Yeah, I'd say try using the semi-auto rifle, stick close to a teammate and see if you get some downs/executions that way. Again, 3 shots is what's necessary to down an enemy, so keep that in mind in all combat situations. Obviously, being in close situations might suck, but moderate range and better rate of fire might be a good trade off.

rObit

Banned
You're absolutely wrong on both points, and I'm wondering if you've even played the game. For one, melee weapons are usually only used when you've run out of ammo, or you've snuck up on someone. Unless you're drunk and fucking around, you're not going to run into the middle of a map and rush a squad of 4, or even one dude with decent aim, when you only have a bat.

Last of Us MultiPlayer is a third person shooter with stealth, and cover mechanics mixed in. Just like in Gears of War you're not going to rush out into the middle of a map with no cover unless you want to get killed. You have to move with your teammates and grab certain points in each map (such as sniper spots, item respawns) and work together against the other team which may consist of snipers, assault classes, stealth classes etc,

As for not knowing the maps being used as a complaint, that can be said about any online shooter ever. That being said the maps with the exception of about one or two are all fantastic.

No dude, just thought I'd come in here and politely discuss a game I've never played to fuck with you. Seriously, your condescending bullshit helps nothing.

Perhaps you misunderstood. Its not that I'm using these tactics, these are the ones that I am dying to the most. Getting clubbed in the face in corridors by people who were not visible to my listen mode (so they were either not moving, or had that one perk, right?)

I'm not making this up, and I'm also not saying that's everyone else's experience, but it's certainly mine so far.

know when to stop moving so you don't get spotted via Listen Mode.

This is the part that I have trouble with, I think. I have to get a better feel for that, 'cause right now I have no idea when someone is looking for me.

If you want to learn the maps without the tension of a live match you can start a private match by yourself to get a feel for the maps.

I'll definitely try this. I might also stick to the round-based mode instead of the life-based mode, that way I'll at least know the direction my enemies are coming from. And I need to stick to my teammates closer, it's a bit tough to do in pubs. Thanks for the suggestions :D

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

Nothing really. You start again.

A lot of what your saying makes it sound as if you're simply having a hard time getting your first couple of kills that build up your personal momentum for a game. Killing someone and finding your way to maybe 3 different supply boxes should usually give you enough supplies to buy amma and you should definitely have a 1-hit melee and at least 1 bomb and a molotov or something like that.

Lay traps and circle around. It's actually quite doable to hide and sneak past people. Stay down and use cover and think more along the lines of something like counter strike. Use their focus of attention to skirt their vision and most importantly take your time and stay with your group. You'll have that one game that brings it all together and shows you how YOU do well in a match. Then it's all gravy.

edit: And i just wanted to say - I barely ever use the listen mode. At this point i've played the maps enough to know the top 3 or 4 places I would go from either spawn.. and i always just assume there will be people there. From then on out it's all about just being the better think/planner. WIth enough supplies and a little time you can really wreck fuckin house.

I roll a revolver and that's it usually FYI. Crafter/Sharpshooter and Reviver ... with a shotgun in the buy slot. One upgrade on the revolver and it gets significantly better. Double tapping people becomes much easier and, when the time is right, you can buy a shotgun and seriously catch your pursuers completely off guard. It's a good feeling.

Nursezero

Would be awesome to team up with some GAF:

Nursezero
PSN ID: Nursezro
Time Zone: PST
Mic
Additional notes: I'm usually on in the mornings four days a week at some point.

Vashetti

Banned
So I'm in a game last night and I choose to exit the match because I accidently chose the wrong load out and wasn't happy with the guns I had.

When I get back to the menu screen, I'm greeted by the fact that all my Survivors were gone and I have been put back to Week 1 (Was on Week 6, Day 2).

Who the fuck came up with this bullshit system?

I choose to leave a game and get punished for it? No warning whatsoever that this would happen.

Completely jaded on this multiplayer now.

How can you complain about not getting enough ammo when everyone starts on a level playing field in terms of ammo (aside from potential multipliers)?

So I'm in a game last night and I choose to exit the match because I accidently chose the wrong load out and wasn't happy with the guns I had.

When I get back to the menu screen, I'm greeted by the fact that all my Survivors were gone and I have been put back to Week 1 (Was on Week 6, Day 2).

I choose to leave a game and get punished for it? No warning whatsoever that this would happen.

Glad to see you follow my advice. Add me anytime: CRAZY_SPIRIT.

Cartman86

Banned
No dude, just thought I'd come in here and politely discuss a game I've never played to fuck with you. Seriously, your condescending bullshit helps nothing.

Perhaps you misunderstood. Its not that I'm using these tactics, these are the ones that I am dying to the most. Getting clubbed in the face in corridors by people who were not visible to my listen mode (so they were either not moving, or had that one perk, right?)

I'm not making this up, and I'm also not saying that's everyone else's experience, but it's certainly mine so far.

This is the part that I have trouble with, I think. I have to get a better feel for that, 'cause right now I have no idea when someone is looking for me.

I'll definitely try this. I might also stick to the round-based mode instead of the life-based mode, that way I'll at least know the direction my enemies are coming from. And I need to stick to my teammates closer, it's a bit tough to do in pubs. Thanks for the suggestions :D

Maybe there is another strategy, but I never use listen mode. Running is dangerous because you show up on the radar. I glance up on the radar really quickly often and I do very well. And yes the round based stuff makes the randomness of people spawning in places behind you not an issue. I enjoy that mode for that reason too. The other mode is good for completing missions.

If anyone is playing right now, Jeramii, and I are playing.

Add me:
kilgoreisdead

Damn I was online too earlier but I thought you were playing SP. ;)

There needs to be a simple "plays SP/MP" marker next to the Last of Us game name under our PSN-names.

Only on week 3 now so I'm not that good yet but if any of you see me online (StevePharma on PSN) just shoot me an invite and I'll play along. I'm in it for the long run anyway since I only need to get the two MP-gold trophies for platinum and I got the season pass as a gift so this multiplayer will probably stick with me for a while, at least until next-gen shows up.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wish that they would change it so that you can meele quicker after using the upgraded stick/board (one-hit kill). Several of times i've hit someone and i get them down, but i keep mashing the square button to finish them off, but it takes like 3 seconds or so before i can start hit. I've died several of times (from other enemies being around) and not being able to execute the guy i have down.

I also wish that they would give a better heads up that running (holding L2 button) will give away your position on the minimap. Like have this message in the tip section when loading a map. I didnt know this before i was into week 10 or so, and i assume that not everyone knows this either, especially the new players.

If you want to quit, you have to quit the game directly to XMB to avoid losing any of your people in your clan. But yeah, it would be nice indeed if they give a warning before manually quitting.

Dingotech

So I'm up to week 12 day 5 of my hunter missions.
Can anybody confirm something for me around the 100% missions.

I chose gifting of items, currently I've played one day and have 2/6 for the 60% requirement. If I get zero more gifts given will I get 100% wipe, or is there a pro-rata ratio that will see me lose like 80-90% instead?
i.e. Do you have to achieve the minimum 60% requirement on 100% missions no matter what?

I think I should be able to achieve it either way, but I was just curious.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So I'm up to week 12 day 5 of my hunter missions.
Can anybody confirm something for me around the 100% missions.

I chose gifting of items, currently I've played one day and have 2/6 for the 60% requirement. If I get zero more gifts given will I get 100% wipe, or is there a pro-rata ratio that will see me lose like 80-90% instead?
i.e. Do you have to achieve the minimum 60% requirement on 100% missions no matter what?

I think I should be able to achieve it either way, but I was just curious.
You don't get credit for each individual gift. What you see for levels is what you'll get. So you need to complete Level 1 to minimize the risk to 60% otherwise your whole clan will perish.

Dingotech

You don't get credit for each individual gift. What you see for levels is what you'll get. So you need to complete Level 1 to minimize the risk to 60% otherwise your whole clan will perish.

Ok I thought so, had somebody telling me otherwise.

Hopefully the next two games I play I should be able to knock at least 4 more gifts out. I gave out two in the first game and we were getting smashed. I had a third gift to give but all my teammates were dead... Doh.

rCIZZLE

Wish they'd stop jamming me in games where my team is getting destroyed. After I get the trophy for finishing the 2nd campaign I'll probably just start auto-leaving them.

How can you complain about not getting enough ammo when everyone starts on a level playing field in terms of ammo (aside from potential multipliers)?

I love the limited ammo, it means you're aiming to make every shot count. It would suck if there were people blindly emptying clips behind cover all the time in this game.

Vashetti

Banned
Wish they'd stop jamming me in games where my team is getting destroyed. After I get the trophy for finishing the 2nd campaign I'll probably just start auto-leaving them.

Yup, the 'match-making' system (if you can call it that) is pretty poor.

I'm regularly dumped into games with far, far stronger players on the other team. It's no fun.

rCIZZLE

Yup, the 'match-making' system (if you can call it that) is pretty poor.

I'm regularly dumped into games with far, far stronger players on the other team. It's no fun.

Even worse, if the score is lopsided then it's difficult to get the required supplies for the survivors. Not even worth staying.

Top Bottom