• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

I'm on my second play-through of the meta game, hoping to get the skull mask. But after that, it'll all be about the actual game (play). I might still medic/heal people, but Collector 2 is going bye-bye.

I'm about to jump on and play. I've setup my capture system to record some matches.

If you want to join up, you can either add me on PSN (xenorevlis) or find me in the GAF chat for TLOU.

i like survivors and all but holeeeyy shit... can i get a molotov or plank please?
i run around to like 5 goodie boxes and all i can make is 3 medkits and a smoke bomb.

supply raid has better goodies.

zma1013

i like survivors and all but holeeeyy shit... can i get a molotov or plank please?
i run around to like 5 goodie boxes and all i can make is 3 medkits and a smoke bomb.

supply raid has better goodies.

Why are you making medkits? You are doing it wrong. There are medkits all over the maps.

Mobius1

im not making em, im just saying thats all i can make

If you recall from the single-player campaign, medkits and molotovs use the same materials. You need to not make a medkit, wait until you get more of the same materials, and then you'll have the option to make a molotov.

Planks don't drop until you open 3 or 4 boxes from what I've seen. And as far as upgrading them, you have to avoid the temptation to craft shivs, because those materials will go towards the spiked plank.

EDIT: nevermind, didn't see you were talking Survivors. not sure how drops work there

Replicant

Why are you making medkits?

It's useful for gifting meta-game. Sometimes that's the fastest way to craft 3 things so you can gift someone an item. You often have to wait a while to get materials to create a bomb or a molotov but often you can craft a shiv or a med pack quite as soon as you get a few materials. And sometimes even craft 2 of them based on the materials given. It's extremely useful when you have a deadline of giving 4 gifts in 1 day.

Vitanimus

Crafter 3 is amazing for parts. It takes 2 items to make a gift, so that's 60 parts, plus 100 for giving a gift to someone else. Then parts for any potential downs/executions from crafted molotovs and nail bombs. Quite lovely.

todahawk

Crafter 3 is amazing for parts. It takes 2 items to make a gift, so that's 60 parts, plus 100 for giving a gift to someone else. Then parts for any potential downs/executions from crafted molotovs and nail bombs. Quite lovely.

I was wondering why I was getting seemingly random parts in places I didn't recall killing someone.

edit:
has there been a patch since last night?
I'm watching two streams on twitch and friendly team color graphics and UI stuff are yellow now? ick, not easy on the eyes from the looks of it.
NVM, firefly colors vs hunters

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Seems like there was a Q&A posted on the ND forums a few days ago that I don't think was posted here...

"Besides map packs and a single player campaign, what other DLC is brewing for The Last of Us?" – KarateChampChad

We are hard at work on fleshing out exactly what our DLC will be. We had said the season pass will contain two multiplayer focused drops of DLC with one drop being maps. Our goal, as always, is to keep our multiplayer community active and engaged.

"My question: Will we see theater/cinema mode, if not, why not?" - MuddledMuppet

We won’t be able to put this into Factions due to technical reasons.

"How long will support for the TLOU MP last and what can we expect to see in the next patch?" – khknight

As long as a healthy number of people are playing Factions we will continue to support it. The next patch will be coming before the end of the month or early next. We’re tweaking and testing and seeing what can be done.

"Can we get a co-op game against the infected type survival mode?" - mark9816789

We are working on potential ideas for new modes and gameplay types but we’re not sure what we’ll be making or how the Infected will factor into it yet. A Co-Op game type is definitely something that’s on the table.

"Do you have any plans for special events besides parts conversion boosts? Will we be seeing the return of the Lab in some way (the game is a port of Uncharted, so it can't be completely out of the question)? Will we see developer game nights possibly announced on the blog or developers joining in on Naughty Paws (the community game nights) more often?" - Da_Almighty_Guy

This is really three questions rolled into one topic –we’ll cover all bases by saying straight up that yes, we do plan to explore the possibilities of all these things. We will hold more special events for certain. The Lab may or may not make a return but it’s in our wheelhouse of ideas. Developer nights and livestreaming MP matches with the Dogs has been discussed as well and we have the Twitch TV channel secured. Look for something on Twitch TV soon.

http://community.us.playstation.com...aughty-Dog-Development/m-p/40853807#U40853807

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder how they'll do the new maps. Will people have the option to go into a matchmaking list only with other people who bought the DLC? Because there's nothing worse than half the room voting for a new map that the other half doesn't have and then the room is dead.

But even if you can purposely only go into matchmaking with those who bought the maps, that does segment the matchmaking. That's not great either.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to jump on and play. I've setup my capture system to record some matches.

If you want to join up, you can either add me on PSN (xenorevlis) or find me in the GAF chat for TLOU.

Hey, Japan SKU got patched recently so I can finally play with you guys (ID: B-Genius).

Would be great if I could get an invite to TLoU GAF chat too!

Question: can I sign my Vita into the chat and use it as a mic while playing on PS3?

test_account

XP-39C²
I gave up on the multiplayer and finally sold my copy.

Way too many terrible design choices in the multiplayer mode. I won't even go into them, the list is too big.
What are the top 3 things you think is terrible design choices?

err no it's not. I never get molotovs for some reason. i do just fine.
Same here, i hardly use molotovs and i rarely get killed by them. I do use grenades more because you can drop them on the ground and use them like traps. But i am usually aware of going around corners and such. Most kills and deaths comes from bullets or melee attacks, at least that is my experience.

EDIT: I only play Supply Raid though, not Survivors, so maybe there is a different experience there.

Vitanimus

DLC news sounds really great, co-op mode sounds like it could be really good!

I hope they deepen the whole clan system a bit more in future updates like having a one booster shop with parts collected acting as currency or something. People able to make an actual "clan" with other players would also be kinda cool.

Footos22

What are the top 3 things you think is terrible design choices?

Same here, i hardly use molotovs and i rarely get killed by them. I do use grenades more because you can drop them on the ground and use them like traps. But i am usually aware of going around corners and such. Most kills and deaths comes from bullets or melee attacks, at least that is my experience.

EDIT: I only play Supply Raid though, not Survivors, so maybe there is a different experience there.

I only play survivors.
love it.is much more tense.
i use smoke bombs the most. area of effect is pretty big. if sneak one in on a big group. game over.

9mm
silenced semi auto
crafter 3
covert training 3.

crafter 3 is kinda broken mind. get so many parts you can fully upgrade rifle at start of the second round. by third round you can afford body armour every round.

not unusual to finish each match with over 5000 parts and top by a fair amount.

teo72

Neo Member
I love the multiplayer. Playing with friends is great fun, and I haven't touched the single player campaign yet lol. But the whole clan and survivors stuff is pretty messed up IMO, it's just an annoyance.

The single player is EPIC. You MUST play it!

zma1013

You already get 30 parts for each item you craft even without any Crafter skill. So you're really only getting and extra +100 parts per gift with Crafter 3 enabled. It's a good skill for sure.

Question: can I sign my Vita into the chat and use it as a mic while playing on PS3?

May I also get an invite to the GAF chat?

Edit: after reading the tiny bit of DLC news, I'm now considering buying the season pass - is that still available?

DC1

Yup I agree with this.

the game is all about who can get the moloktov and grenades first. It drives me crazy.

Sounds like you guys run around a lot.
I pride myself on taking down folks with moloktovs.

Plus, you need to consider that it take 3 toolboxs to make a moloktov (if your lucky)
Two if your team is two games down.

If you happen to play with a group that has two crafters, there's a chance to have several moloktovs in play.

However, by in large, moloktovs are not a factor..just a tool. Learning how to use them and avoid them is part of survival.

Love TLOU MP!

Stoffinator

The multiplayer in this game just sucks , I hate that this mode is an obstacle for me to get platinum.

I was in the same boat as you. One don't play it like a typical shooter and you really need to play with friends in order to get the best out of this game. I play with Grinchy and some other friends and we very seldom lose a match.

Moofers

I'll be on quite a bit today. PSN handle:

UnoiLLnino

See you on one of the 5 maps, because nobody ever votes for Downtown. :/

Grinchy

Banned
I was in the same boat as you. One don't play it like a typical shooter and you really need to play with friends in order to get the best out of this game. I play with Grinchy and some other friends and we very seldom lose a match.

Yeah we have an awesome group. I would have been on last night, but I went to bed early.

It's not even like we take it all that serious, either. We joke around and have a good time but still win. The people who hate this game online just need to participate in some general communication about where the enemies are and what's going on. It makes all the difference.

After solely playing survivor since launch I've decided to go back to supply raids. Found it to be more fun than before and a quicker way to get in and out of games. Gonna play it some more, yup.

Stoffinator

Yeah we have an awesome group. I would have been on last night, but I went to bed early.

It's not even like we take it all that serious, either. We joke around and have a good time but still win. The people who hate this game online just need to participate in some general communication about where the enemies are and what's going on. It makes all the difference.

I waited for awhile last night. But we can always play now. :p

Killthee

I wonder how they'll do the new maps. Will people have the option to go into a matchmaking list only with other people who bought the DLC? Because there's nothing worse than half the room voting for a new map that the other half doesn't have and then the room is dead.

But even if you can purposely only go into matchmaking with those who bought the maps, that does segment the matchmaking. That's not great either.
Not sure about U3, but for U2 they had a DLC toggle in the options menu. Turning it on would put you on a mm pool that prioritized mm you with other people that had the DLC. If you partied up with someone who didn't have the DLC, you would automatically get downgraded to the non-DLC pool so the party wouldn't get split up.

Hey, Japan SKU got patched recently so I can finally play with you guys (ID: B-Genius).

May I also get an invite to the GAF chat?

Edit: after reading the tiny bit of DLC news, I'm now considering buying the season pass - is that still available?

If anyone needs a chat room invite quote this post to see the PSN ID for it and send a friend request. I'll send you a chat room invite the next time I log on.

As for the season pass, its still available but after the way they handled the U3 Season Pass I would till we get some content details before forking over some cash. Especially with how vague they are being about the second MP pack, for all we know they could fill it up with customization items and make any new mode's separate from the season pass.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alright I got the game booted up for multiplayer. I got Mobius added from GAF. Now what should I do next to join the GAF clan ? :p I'm new to the multiplayer now that I have beaten the single player campaign. My PSN ID is NetMapel.

dsigns1

After solely playing survivor since launch I've decided to go back to supply raids. Found it to be more fun than before and a quicker way to get in and out of games. Gonna play it some more, yup.

Survivor is my favorite. You can make more of a difference in it than in Supply Raids.

Killthee

Alright I got the game booted up for multiplayer. I got Mobius added from GAF. Now what should I do next to join the GAF clan ? :p I'm new to the multiplayer now that I have beaten the single player campaign. My PSN ID is NetMapel.
There is no GAF clan; the game doesn't have any actual clan support. There is a PSN chat room to make partying up a bit easier. You can find instructions on how to get a chat invite on the post above yours.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
There is no GAF clan; the game doesn't have any actual clan support. There is a PSN chat room to make partying up a bit easier. You can find instructions on how to get a chat invite on the post above yours.

Ah got it. Thank you and I have followed the instruction :)

TommyLove

Neo Member
Thanks for the feedbacks, blackmamba707 and Vitanimus!

I uploaded a bunch of videos from last night with a lot of different maps.

The entire team outplayed me and the game eventually turned out to be a 3v4 and my friend codename_Fox1 pulled off a incredible show with 17 down, 15 executions and 4 deaths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nnkeyR-bMU

Last night me and my friend were raging about getting killed by ghosts, I'm sure you guys will laugh your ass off when you watch this. I wonder if it's lag or some hack? Otherwise I hope it gets fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ7yyW3isMI

University 8 downs, 10 executions and 0 death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEPq-uavhQ

Downtown 8 down, 10 executions and 1 death. (Still the worst map imo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQdzbwUhw-I

Lakeside 9 down, 9 executions and 0 death. (Nice 2vs3 in the last round with my buddy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dY36-uocv0

Checkpoint 9 downs, 10 executions and 0 death. (I almost made the entire team quit the game, the best part was my last shiv when I made a level 71 quit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxOE8jVxbqs

A game where I've played a bunch of laggers. 16 downs, 15 executions and 3 deaths (my first death shouldn't count, but you'll see)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXBqYqClMpk

Enjoy!

todahawk

Hey ya bum, free up some space on your friend list! (todahawk) edit: <-damn autocorrect

Last night me and my friend were raging about getting killed by ghosts, I'm sure you guys will laugh your ass off when you watch this. I wonder if it's lag or some hack? Otherwise I hope it gets fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ7yyW3isMI

Wow, looks like the deadman glitch from Uncharted MP is back! Don't remember what was supposed to be causing it, but I don't think a solution was ever found. Lag was definitely the cause of that delayed death at the end though. Must have been downloading torrents. XD

TommyLove

Neo Member
Wow, looks like the deadman glitch from Uncharted MP is back! Don't remember what was supposed to be causing it, but I don't think a solution was ever found. Lag was definitely the cause of that delayed death at the end though. Must have been downloading torrents. XD
Oh that was on uncharted too? We were freaking out about what was going on when a ghost were killing us, until we found out who it was. My friend shived him first and he still came back and haunt us haha.

A game where I had 11 down, 11 executions and 0 death. Some of the moments is where I dealt with a 1v3 a few times and a tasty ending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOo-yfR3jGg

Maybe the downtown map will get more love with this glitch that my friend codename_fox1 found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql3Gd2bq-WQ

Your team:
Level 131
Level 113
Level 121
Level 30

Opponent team:
Level 1
Level 0
Level 20
Level 6

I really like the multiplayer on the Last of Us, but the matchmaking is really awful. How could this be considered an even remotely fair game?

TommyLove

Neo Member
Your team:
Level 131
Level 113
Level 121
Level 30

Opponent team:
Level 1
Level 0
Level 20
Level 6

I really like the multiplayer on the Last of Us, but the matchmaking is really awful. How could this be considered an even remotely fair game?
In my opinion, I think levels are meaningless. I have a few friends who are over level 80+ who can't even manage a 1 kill death ratio.

I usually play late at night past 12AM PST with my squad so maybe all the good opponents are sleeping, but I did ran into a few level 50's and above in the lobby, but they end up dodging us due to our levels.

In my opinion, I think levels are meaningless. I have a few friends who are over level 80+ who can't even manage a 1 kill death ratio.

I usually play late at night past 12AM PST with my squad so maybe all the good opponents are sleeping, but I did ran into a few level 50's and above in the lobby, but they end up dodging us due to our levels.

So, in your opinion, level 130 vs level 0 is fair game?

I have to disagree with that.

Footos22

lol i actually was the ghost last night
was playing bills town in a game i joined halfway through
team was losing 3-0
i hid behind the desk upstairs as 3 ran past i got up and shot one of them. he didnt even make a beeline for me just stood there.
i gave him an invisible beatddown
his mate was just slowly walking about next to him he got a beatdown then another bloke ran in straight past me obv looking for me. shivved him.
last chap cottoned onto me though. 1 more punch and i would have won :( lol

Footos22

So, in your opinion, level 130 vs level 0 is fair game?

I have to disagree with that.

Levels are maeningless. you can play 1 game then quit the next 2 to quickly progress through the weeks. you wont unlock fack all but i see it happen all the time.
played with a level 130 odd last night and he was fucking useless

sorry for double post.

Levels are maeningless. you can play 1 game then quit the next 2 to quickly progress through the weeks. you wont unlock fack all but i see it happen all the time.
played with a level 130 odd last night and he was fucking useless

sorry for double post.

Level roughly equates to time played, and overall, people who have played more are better. Yes you can find exceptions, people who are high level and bad, and vice versa, but generally more time played = better player.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That depends. Maybe the high level guy just leave games on purpose to get those levels or if the level 0 have a lot of socom experience and his skills are carried over.

Well one guy has more loadout points as well as weapons/skills available to him... so all other things equal that guy gets to equip a monster purchasable weapon or whatever other configuration they prefer.

But all other things are not equal. A lvl 0 probably doesn't even know you can upgrade your gun during a match. They don't know the maps and box locations (the fastest routes). Trying to say the two are or can be equivalent is retarded. Sorry... truth hurts.

edit: also the high-lvl people no longer have to even think about the meta game and are free to play however they want.

Top Bottom