• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

I'm on week three and... well I really don't like the multiplayer. The guns I have suck so much it's not funny. I can only get one shot off when the person I shoot gets off three. It's ridiculous. Most of all, I hate the bow and arrow. I get shot with it all the time, even when I'm crouched. I have no leverage. I use listen mode and nothing. I just get shot and die.

I get an average of 4 kills a game while they just murder me over and over. I just can't have fun when I'm constantly dominated every. single. game.

I will give it a few more tries but I think I'm done with the multiplayer. It's tedious and people are just too good... I don't feel like I'm playing the same game sometimes.

This game is all about power in numbers. Find the best player on your team and just follow his lead. This is the best way to learn.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So this meta game is very poorly conceived. It hurts the game, imo... and is really making for a shitty community experience. Even if you actually like just the two modes of TDM they put in the game and no options.

Missions stress people out, and require them to do things outside the natural flow of the game, and don't promote teamplay. The actual gameplay promotes teamplay (teams that stick together win) but if you're concentrating on the meta game, then most of the time it's "fuck the team" and often people actually sabotage the team to ensure the maximum number of rounds are played! (for maximum parts) People get so fucking mad. If you kill, if you win early, etc.

And I don't even blame the players... since the game was designed this way. I feel like the meta game and its mission system is the grossest thing I've seen in a MP game. It's worse even than the unlock system of BF3.

This is my opinion of course. Just saying.

Still like the mp though, even for what it is. I really do wish there was a stripped-down mode (no radar, boosters, wallhax, meta) for survivors.

I'm on week three and... well I really don't like the multiplayer. The guns I have suck so much it's not funny. I can only get one shot off when the person I shoot gets off three. It's ridiculous. Most of all, I hate the bow and arrow. I get shot with it all the time, even when I'm crouched. I have no leverage. I use listen mode and nothing. I just get shot and die.

I get an average of 4 kills a game while they just murder me over and over. I just can't have fun when I'm constantly dominated every. single. game.

I will give it a few more tries but I think I'm done with the multiplayer. It's tedious and people are just too good... I don't feel like I'm playing the same game sometimes.

You've been upgrading your weapons, right? Most weapons get an increased rate of fire among other benefits when they're upgraded.

As a person who doesn't really play a lot of multi-player games, aside from the odd game of Assassin's Creed online, TLOU has fantastic MP.

They need to fix Checkpoint somehow, it's way too small to feel like you can do anything but zerg or constantly react. You can't really play it too slow and it's the only map I absolutely hate when it pops up.

Also, the meta-game needs to be REALLY fleshed out in any sequels, there's a lot of potential there. Maybe let us spend parts on specific things and run a simulation game based off of that. Let us upgrade our people to a Sim City-lite level where we can upgrade tools, weapons, medicine and stuff make us choose between hunting and farming or trading or pillaging for our City AI. This is really where the game could explode for me personally.

baekshi

Banned
ryvS4TVl.jpg

GAF Private Match Saturday!
Jump into the chat room on Saturday at ~1 PM PDT. If there's enough people for a full 8 man party we'll group and do a few private GAF matches.

This full?

Maybe I can join you guys next time ;)

Two things piss me off as unbalanced in the MP:

Bows and smoke bombs + shivs. They need to reduce the time your stunned by a smoke bomb and shorten the radius of the shiv attack. I've commandoed numerous times.

Maybe I can join you guys next time ;)

Two things piss me off as unbalanced in the MP:

Bows and smoke bombs + shivs. They need to reduce the time your stunned by a smoke bomb and shorten the radius of the shiv attack. I've commandoed numerous times.

I disagree with the smoke bombs. Everyone I've played with say that the smoke bombs don't stun long enough. I've thrown a smoke bomb while running at the guy who was no more than 15-20 ft away and by the time I got to him he was unstunned and shot me right in the face.

Robot Pants

So this meta game is very poorly conceived. It hurts the game, imo... and is really making for a shitty community experience. Even if you actually like just the two modes of TDM they put in the game and no options.

Missions stress people out, and require them to do things outside the natural flow of the game, and don't promote teamplay. The actual gameplay promotes teamplay (teams that stick together win) but if you're concentrating on the meta game, then most of the time it's "fuck the team" and often people actually sabotage the team to ensure the maximum number of rounds are played! (for maximum parts) People get so fucking mad. If you kill, if you win early, etc.

And I don't even blame the players... since the game was designed this way. I feel like the meta game and its mission system is the grossest thing I've seen in a MP game. It's worse even than the unlock system of BF3.

Still like the mp though, even for what it is. I really do wish there was a stripped-down mode (no radar, boosters, wallhax, meta) for survivors.
Yea the meta game is just disguised (poorly) as a way to keep you playing. For instance if I have a huge number of clan members, and me and the rest of my teammates are really good at the game and just massacre the other team, chances are I won't have accumulated the amount of supplies or parts needed to keep my clan healthy during the course of the match. So I'm essentially being punished for doing well and not dragging the game out for longer.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Had some fun games today with the full group. It felt a lot more even than it did last weekend. I hope there's enough interest to make it a semi regular thing.

The Molotov cocktail is like a fucking win button. I can't stand that fucking thing

With Explosive expert 2 it is devastating. It is pretty fun to flank a group and get 3 or 4 kills with one toss. But I agree that it is pretty o.p'd with it being an immediate kill as long as you hit in the general area of the enemy and that you can blind fire it so no one even sees it coming.

I was playing with some Gaffers yesterday evening and was doing very poorly - just couldn't get my head in the game (and a Gaffer on the other team was destroying me with the hunting rifle) but then I got enough supplies to craft 3 molotovs. With them I was able to easily overpower the enemy position and redeem myself somewhat.

Replicant

I agree. Those missions are such bullshit and completely ruins the MP. Having to do so and so or else you lose your entire population is major turn-off. And the fact that it's associated/tied to trophies don't help either.

The matchmaking system in this game is absolute shit. It seems to love to put all the high level players on one team, and all the nubs on the other. Yeesh!

And this too. So awful. I was once at a team with 3 zeros while the other has above 40 team members. Such a BS.

I agree. Those missions are such bullshit and completely ruins the MP. Having to do so and so or else you lose your entire population is major turn-off. And the fact that it's associated/tied to trophies don't help either.

Why not ignore it completely? Trophies are artificial ways to extend a game anyways.

Replicant

Why not ignore it completely? Trophies are artificial ways to extend a game anyways.

Because when I like a game, I'd like to platinum it. It's my OCD, I guess. You're right though. I should probably ignore it but that would somewhat sour my experience on the game. I'd feel that I didn't really complete the game. I hate this. I wish they'd just separate the SP and MP trophies.

The trophy associated with clan numbers is pretty low too, is it not? The only reason to concern yourself with clan numbers is if you want the customization unlocks. It is unfortunate that ND coded the missions and meta game to be in the face of the player so often, because it really does imply that it has more importance than it actually does - and for ocd types I imagine it is actually stressful (I hated it until I unlocked everything so I am one to talk).

Just ignore it and enjoy the game. Use the missions as a way to try out some new gameplay methods or experience different weapons.

What cheating have you all experienced so far? Seen some one hit melees with fists and standard weapons, but did run into someone who couldn't be downed by anything but my molotov (and the match continued for a while after that last player).

With Explosive expert 2 it is devastating. It is pretty fun to flank a group and get 3 or 4 kills with one toss. But I agree that it is pretty o.p'd with it being an immediate kill as long as you hit in the general area of the enemy and that you can blind fire it so no one even sees it coming.

I was playing with some Gaffers yesterday evening and was doing very poorly - just couldn't get my head in the game (and a Gaffer on the other team was destroying me with the hunting rifle) but then I got enough supplies to craft 3 molotovs. With them I was able to easily overpower the enemy position and redeem myself somewhat.

You can actually see the glow from it if a person is crouching behind something. I specifically call out people with molotovs in their hands over the mic to my team.

geestack

The Molotov cocktail is like a fucking win button. I can't stand that fucking thing

I've found the best way to counter it is to close the distance between you and the thrower, especially if you have armor on. With armor, you can survive a direct hit so long as you have full health, and if someone tosses it too close they burn themselves up. Been able to counterattack based on some people tossing too shallow and killing themselves

You've been upgrading your weapons, right? Most weapons get an increased rate of fire among other benefits when they're upgraded.

OK. How do I do that? I see the gear up menu but no options to upgrade the weapons, just the ability to add a silencer on a few of them.

This game is all about power in numbers. Find the best player on your team and just follow his lead. This is the best way to learn.

I'll do this.

Anyone up for a game? I'll be up for one in an hour. PSN name is GAF name. I have a mic.

jediyoshi

Yea the meta game is just disguised (poorly) as a way to keep you playing. For instance if I have a huge number of clan members, and me and the rest of my teammates are really good at the game and just massacre the other team, chances are I won't have accumulated the amount of supplies or parts needed to keep my clan healthy during the course of the match. So I'm essentially being punished for doing well and not dragging the game out for longer.

How is there not a correlation between getting more supplies and doing better?

If your team is massacring the other team and you're not holding your end of the work up, then you're more likely to have less supplies. Otherwise, more dead enemies + less resistance to picking up supplies -> crafting = more parts = more supplies.

Killthee

OK. How do I do that? I see the gear up menu but no options to upgrade the weapons, just the ability to add a silencer on a few of them.

I'll do this.

Anyone up for a game? I'll be up for one in an hour. PSN name is GAF name. I have a mic.
There's an in game store that uses the parts you earn during the match as currency for weapon/armor upgrades, ammo, & special weapons good for the current match. Press Select during a match to bring up the crafting screen and then press R1 to switch to the shop. Weapons can be upgraded twice while Armor can be repurchased after you lose some or all of it. Weapon upgrades are good for the duration of the match while armor purchases aren't. If you die you'll respawn with partial armor, if you want the full set you'll need to repurchase it and each time you do so the price increases until the ~4th purchase when the price resets.

voUSbyk.png

Imm0rt4l

played some survivor with a friend the other day, man this mode is intense. I want to get good at this, not sure what I need to do to get better. What's the best mid range weapon?

jediyoshi

Be aware that if you die you'll respawn with partial armor, if you want the full set you'll need to repurchase it and each time you do so the price increases until the ~4th purchase when the price resets.

How so? Does it apply a certain amount of damage to the armor that's left? I don't think I've ever had armor that I had during a death disappear after respawning.

Killthee

How so? Does it apply a certain amount of damage to the armor that's left? I don't think I've ever had armor that I had during a death disappear after respawning.
When you purchase a full set you get the helmet icon and the chest vest icon added to your health bar. When you die you only respawn with the helmet.

The only time I've noticed a full set on spawn is during Survivor mode after surviving the previous round with a full set on.

Do the challenge reset once you restart as the other faction or do you continue with the same higher difficulty ones you had once you hit the 12 weeks?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I played this a little bit more now thanks to the Mercenary playlist and while I have gotten used to the way this game plays, it's only OK in short bursts. I still don't see myself dedicating much time on this MP. There's not much variety and it gets boring really quickly. Thankfully the teams were balanced on the Mercenary playlist the majority of the time with people around my skill level. People revived me and usually stuck near each other/called people out. Unfortunately, it all goes to complete shit the moment you party up since you'll face nothing but experienced players with the worst possible balanced teams, but that's not a surprise since it's a feature in every ND multi-player game where it will make sure you get screwed as much as possible. Thankfully this game at least has a Mercenary playlist unlike Uncharted.

Still going be sticking around UC3 MP.

Oh and can I just say that I can't fucking stand this meta game they force down your throat? Is there an option to disable it? I don't fucking care about my clan or this lame journey. It really takes away the experience from this MP...

There's an in game store that uses the parts you earn during the match as currency for weapon/armor upgrades, ammo, & special weapons good for the current match. Press Select during a match to bring up the crafting screen and then press R1 to switch to the shop. Weapons can be upgraded twice while Armor can be repurchased after you lose some or all of it. Weapon upgrades are good for the duration of the match while armor purchases aren't. If you die you'll respawn with partial armor, if you want the full set you'll need to repurchase it and each time you do so the price increases until the ~4th purchase when the price resets.

voUSbyk.png

Lame. There should be permanent upgrades.

But thanks for the info.

jediyoshi

Oh and can I just say that I can't fucking stand this meta game they force down your throat? Is there an option to disable it? I don't fucking care about my clan or this lame journey. It really takes away the experience from this MP...

Mash X when it's on the screen. There's no actual, tangible gameplay affect when you're inside a match.

Lame. There should be permanent upgrades.

But thanks for the info.

To be fair, it's only them trading one group of people complaining with another.

Elrina

Neo Member
Welp, shooting people doesn't seem so impossible anymore, even if I still don't think I'm especially good at it. Definitely doing better on the multiplayer after figuring out I can upgrade stuff without losing parts though. For some reason the first couple days I was worried spending them would reduce the total gain, and that lousy meta game is like a tick in my head.

It's so frustrating. There should be bonus parts for potential rounds not played at the end, whether you win or lose. That way winning/losing fast doesn't hurt so much. And the missions seemed like a nice idea, until the diminishing returns set in on the couple things I can actually reliably do on the list of options, and I realized that if I end up with a couple fast matches at the wrong time I'm going to end up losing the whole damn clan.

And with how long it takes to go through the 12 weeks (I'm still only at week 7: day 4 of my first 12), having to restart because you were having an especially good/bad day (either) is bullshit.

The MP trophies (at least the ones for the two journeys) should have been held back until the DLC imo so that they didn't count towards the Platinum, that way the meta game would be a nice extra, but not really something that mattered or was worth stressing over.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How is there not a correlation between getting more supplies and doing better?

If your team is massacring the other team and you're not holding your end of the work up, then you're more likely to have less supplies. Otherwise, more dead enemies + less resistance to picking up supplies -> crafting = more parts = more supplies.

Uhh my team of 4 steamrolls guys on a regular basis, and all of us fall short of our daily supplies.

Vashetti

Banned
Sorry to double post but they really need to do something about this match-making.

How can it be fair that I'm constantly lumped with an assortment of level 0-10s, whilst the other teams have an abundance of level 20s, 60s, and now I'm even seeing over level 100s!

I am consistently put in with shitty players who want to run off and then get confused when they die.

Or they're sat right next to me while I'm down, don't bother to revive while they try and get all the kills.

GRPQdIr.gif

Why can't people grasp that this is a team-based multiplayer. Running off on your own does not get you anywhere!

It's exacerbated further because if you get into shitty games then you're inevitably going to lose your population.

It's infuriating and killing my enjoyment of the game.

Top Bottom