• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

todahawk

Well one guy has more loadout points as well as weapons/skills available to him... so all other things equal that guy gets to equip a monster purchasable weapon or whatever other configuration they prefer.

But all other things are not equal. A lvl 0 probably doesn't even know you can upgrade your gun during a match. They don't know the maps and box locations (the fastest routes). Trying to say the two are or can be equivalent is retarded. Sorry... truth hurts.

edit: also the high-lvl people no longer have to even think about the meta game and are free to play however they want.

Yep.

We had some random people last night before we got our fourth that didn't know why they were getting random items in their inventory (gifting), you can see they're just lost... no idea of the flow. I'm only level 14 and I feel like I have the basics down but level 0's vs high level almost always = slaughter, especially if it's a more open map where you can get flanked.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Fellow gaffers.... some backup would be much appreciated!

Join gafchat, lets play some games!

I'm only lvl 2... I mean, I know what I'm doing in the matches and contribute how I can, but OP loadouts are still OP. After a few more levels and a better loadout, I'll join up with you all.

Still, having the notification that some poor sap just stepped on a nail bomb you hid is so satisfying.

TommyLove

Neo Member
Totally agree with this. It way too quick IMO, thing shoots almost just as fast as my semi auto rife and it kills in two hits!
The bow has a huge weakness as well. Shooting a running target is difficult since you'll have to predict their movements and if the bow user doesn't get the shot off first in a duel, their bullets will make the bow's shots useless. Oh and a bow's headshot can take you down in one hit.

Personally I think the shotgun is overpower, especially if you're the last man standing and you get to an tool box for more shotgun ammo.

todahawk

I'm only lvl 2... I mean, I know what I'm doing in the matches and contribute how I can, but OP loadouts are still OP. After a few more levels and a better loadout, I'll join up with you all.

Still, having the notification that some poor sap just stepped on a nail bomb you hid is so satisfying.

If you're talking stuff like the bow, take the premade 'stealth' build.

If you're talking stuff like the bow, take the premade 'stealth' build.

I did initially but found my "sweet spot", relative to my low level, when I created a custom loadout. I'm feeling a lot more confident in my play style now and am gaining a good amount of supplies each game so I'll unlock the bow eventually.

todahawk

I did initially but found my "sweet spot", relative to my low level, when I created a custom loadout. I'm feeling a lot more confident in my play style now and am gaining a good amount of supplies each game so I'll unlock the bow eventually.

Ah, yeah. I know what you mean. I'm at L17 and just got an extra loadout point (at 13 now iirc) and i tweaked every custom build, made a huge difference and I was able to get some of the builds I really wanted.

How or where does one exactly join "GAF chat?" - I play w/ a few other GAFers and this was brought up but I had no idea as to what they were talking about - but I am interested.

Edit: Also I guess I might as well vent here - I lost all of my survivors last night! I was in week 8! So now I'm starting all the way back at week one. But I def have a better idea of how to choose which missions to take at which time, so I think that will help me out a lot going forward.

andycapps

Yeah what is GAF chat? I'd love to play with some gaffers tonight or tomorrow. Username is same as here. Prefer survivors, but supply run is okay.

I didn't realize you could modify the presets and not have to use your points for what was included.. The more you know.

Also I guess I might as well vent here - I lost all of my survivors last night! I was in week 8! So now I'm starting all the way back at week one. But I def have a better idea of how to choose which missions to take at which time, so I think that will help me out a lot going forward.

holy crap :\ Was that via a Hunter/Firefly attack where 60% of your population is up for grabs? When that happened I mistakenly chose "revive" as the mission I thought would be easiest to complete. Nopenopenope. I revived some, but still ended up with a 40% hit.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
holy crap :\ Was that via a Hunter/Firefly attack where 60% of your population is up for grabs? When that happened I mistakenly chose "revive" as the mission I thought would be easiest to complete. Nopenopenope. I revived some, but still ended up with a 40% hit.

Same here, lol ! When I got the big attack I thought I'd do the Revive one since it felt the easiest. Still took a 40% hit :(

Evolved1

My theory on metagame stuff...

Easiest missions: heals, gifting items, marking enemies (unless enemy has covert 3, that can really screw you over so it's a gamble).

Healer 2 (not 3!!!) for heals imo is the easiest way to complete a mission, I can usually do it in just one day of survivors.

Crafter 3 for gifting, I can easily complete this in 1-2 days of survivors.

Marking can be completed in a single day of survivors as long as your team is not too good and the rounds last for a bit (and enemy isn't unmarkable).

I save heals, gifts, marks for the big population risk missions. I do harder stuff for clan growth missions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for gafchat, I'm not sure how you join... I was sent an invite.

Easiest missions: heals, gifting items, marking enemies (unless enemy has covert 3, that can really screw you over so it's a gamble).

Right now for me, straight-up Downing enemies is my go-to. I'm getting pretty good hiding those nail bombs, and with an Explosive perk attached, can usually can enough Downs to reach Lvl. 2, sometimes Lvl. 3.

I like it because I don't have to manage anything. I just get a feel for where there's heavy traffic, plant an IED, then bug out and continue to the next toolbox.

Evolved1

Right now for me, straight-up Downing enemies is my go-to. I'm getting pretty good hiding those nail bombs, and with an Explosive perk attached, can usually can enough Downs to reach Lvl. 2, sometimes Lvl. 3.

I like it because I don't have to manage anything. I just get a feel for where there's heavy traffic, plant an IED, then bug out and continue to the next toolbox.

I use downing for pop-growth missions... because sometimes the other gaffers are just too good/fast and I don't get a chance to even down anyone, depending on the flow of things. At least in survivors.

For pop-risk missions, I try to choose those that have as little room for the unpredictable as possible. Downs, imo, is a gamble especially if you're on a good team. And especially with high-lvl players who do not give a shit about meta anymore and just want to destroy the other side as quickly as possible.

high-lvl players who do not give a shit about meta anymore and just want to destroy the other side as quickly as possible.

haha oh man I was in a game yesterday with someone who was around lvl 76 I think... They definitely gave zero fucks about anything that was going on. It was pretty funny.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yeah what is GAF chat? I'd love to play with some gaffers tonight or tomorrow. Username is same as here. Prefer survivors, but supply run is okay.

I didn't realize you could modify the presets and not have to use your points for what was included.. The more you know.
There's a PSN chat room set up to make partying up with other gaffers easier. To get an invite you have to have someone on your friends list who already has access to it send you an invite. If you don't have anyone who can send you an invite, I've set up a PSN account for the sole purpose of spitting out chat invites.

If anyone needs a chat invite, quote this post, look for the PSN ID I've hidden at the bottom of this post, send a friend request to it, and I'll send you an invite the next time I log on to the account.

Once you have an invite you just hop into the room and ask if there's any parties with open spots. If there's none, you can either wait for a spot to open or try to form a group with anyone else in the chat room playing lone wolf or interested in jumping in game.

Evolved1

Killthee and I are on if anyone wants to jump in... I'll probably hang around for a few mins and wait, 20 or so.

:)

Evolved1

Naughty Dog, hear my words:

Please add the option to SWAP MELEE WITH RELOAD in multiplayer.

The game feels a lot more cumbersome in close-combat than it needs to. It's fine in SP but losing camera control during MP, where other players move around in CQB (in a kinda janky way if we're being completely honest) unlike they do in SP... losing the camera control is frustrating. There's no reason reload couldn't be mapped to square and R1 be melee when you're not holding L1.

Please, I beg you...

Team-mate goes down
I go to revive him
Random Molotov gets us both
willem-dafoe-rage-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1669.gif

Every goddamned time.

Team-mate goes down
I go to revive him
Random Molotov gets us both
willem-dafoe-rage-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1669.gif

Every goddamned time.

Lololol, yeah it's shit when that happens to you but glorious when you do it to someone else.

Hate the bombs but I plant them everywhere I go, sometimes I double plant them that they don't even have a chance, fucking shit out those bombs like there's no tomorrow.

Is there some exploit going around? Three times tonight someone I downed managed to self-revive with full health and if they were killed for the remainder of the game they dropped no parts...

Free Sights and Sounds Pack and the Survial Pack DLC Code:
FT8D-26NF-Q8M4

Replicant

Healer 2 (not 3!!!) for heals imo is the easiest way to complete a mission, I can usually do it in just one day of survivors.

Is heal really that easy to do? I don't want to risk using it in case it doesn't work. In the past (my Firefly run), I managed to complete that side using: marking, gifting, down with bombs, more down with bombs, more gifting. Back then I was only level 2 gifting so now I have level 3, I can probably do 1 more gifting mission for 100% risk.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is heal really that easy to do? I don't want to risk using it in case it doesn't work. In the past (my Firefly run), I managed to complete that side using: marking, gifting, down with bombs, more down with bombs, more gifting. Back then I was only level 2 gifting so now I have level 3, I can probably do 1 more gifting mission for 100% risk.
Yeah, healing is really easy to do. I think the first healing mission is to heal 15 people, and i usually get around 40 or so. You have to stay close to your team though, otherwise they might die or use a healthkit.

Healing is super easy as long as you stick close to your team and you don't get stuck on a team of Level 0 Rambo's (even then it's doable in 3 days).

I think I've found my perfect gear setup:

- Revolver
(more powerful than the pistol)
- Semi-Auto Rifle
(more powerful than the burst rifle, still shoots fast)

- First Aid Training, Level 2
(heal team-mates which helps huge in close fire fights, plus gets you tons of parts)
- Hawk-Eyed, Level 2
(mark enemies glowing red, helps out team immensely)
- Explosion Expert, Level 2
(great for dropping bombs, using bombs/Molotovs... killed an entire team with a Molotov in two separate games today)
- Marathon Runner, Level 1
(because sometimes you gotta run the fuck back to your team)

Had an amazing fire fight at the Dam just a few minutes ago where both teams were at the top in the middle, both healing each other, using smoke grenades, trying to push forward but not running in. Really cool.

Chris_C

Been playing the MP since about a week after launch and LOVING every second of it. A few quick thoughts.

Revolver+Hunting Rifle, my weapons of choice

Playing this game for more than 3-4 hours at a stretch gives me a tension headache.

I'm pretty darn good at the game (I think), but I'm USELESS with Molotovs. Typically I run up to a guy, and toss the Molotov right at my feet, setting myself ablaze, loop the molotov RIGHT over him, leaving myself open for the kill.

I wish I could log into the ND website and check my stats, since U2, it just gives me an error when I try to sign in.

Would love some more maps. There's something counter-strikey about the game. I feel like I'm outsmarting people (usually) when I take them down, rather than just having better weapons.

EDIT: And yeah, I discovered the support gold mine, but I'm still usually the highest or second highest scorer in my matches.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I wish I could log into the ND website and check my stats, since U2, it just gives me an error when I try to sign in.
Even if you could log in you still wouldn't be able to view your TLoU stats. For some reason the ND site hasn't been updated to support TLoU stats.

Evolved1

So, there is no quickturn in mp... lol why?

I hope they remove some of the invulnerability frames during shiv executions... guy starts to shiv your buddy and you waste half your precious ammo. Can't interrupt the animation, and can't even damage him. Feels bad man.

Wouldn't be against a small dot-reticle for molotovs. No auto-aim like SP, but a small dot would help in close range.

We need an objective-based mode in the game. MP is quite fun, but TDM is getting boooooring.

Evolved1

i was watching my friend play and i saw a lot of people getting shivved in the back

it looked really satisfying, i guess they want more people to stabbed in the back

You already warp like five feet to shiv a guy... advantage enough.

Chris_C

Even if you could log in you still wouldn't be able to view your TLoU stats. For some reason the ND site hasn't been updated to support TLoU stats.

That sucks. My impression though is maybe they didn't expect the MP to have the impact it has? It seems like a real labor of love by small team. Like I said, reminds me of CS: Source. If only there were a few more maps, and Downtown was nuked.

Also, I don't understand why you don't get points for marking a bomb.

Evolved1

So I did my first 12 weeks as a firefly... heard everyone complaining about the hunters.

When I switched to hunters, man I really prefer them. The colors are much better and I think they look cooler. Most times they wear cutoffs and you see a really cool blood effect on their arms that you never see on the fireflies.

Anyway... just saying Team Hunter. From here on out I'll be murdering Fireflies until PS4 retires my PS3.

Played a fair bit of the multiplayer over the past couple of weeks. As an idea, it is very well made. The crafting system coupled with the Gears of War esque slower pace third person gameplay is really awesome. As far as execution is concerned, ND could have done a lot better.

First of all, their netcode. It fucking sucks. Of around 30 games I've played online, about 2 of them were with people in my own country. Just terrible but I guess that isn't surprising.

Second, the Bow. It's overpowered. Simple as that. it destroys armor in one shot and then is a one hit down after that. Coupled with its stealth capabilities and all round features, it's just OP. Desperately needs a nerf.

Thirdly, to state the obvious, some extra game modes featuring the Infected and Listen Mode disabled need to be implemented. There is just too much lost potential here. If they need to rip off Left 4 Dead, so be it, just do something.

Fourth, some of the maps really suck. The Dam for example is one of the worst multiplayer maps I've ever played on. Horribly balanced and designed. It favors one spawn side way too much (the top). running up the rocky hill next to the waterfall is more often than not a death sentence, and the whole map eventually turns into a Bomb trap obstacle course as the round drags on.

Lastly, headshots need to be treated like headshots. Clean headshot with no helmet = insta-kill. It only makes sense. Looking down the sights of my hunting rifle, putting a bullet square inbetween someones eyes and then finding out they're still alive and only down is incredibly frustrating and ultimately defeats the purpose of having a sniper like weapon like that.

Ranting aside, it is a lot of fun. It just could be a lot better with the assets the game provides, and fix that fucking netcode.

You know what would make the multiplayer in this game even better?

Getting rid of the name tags for enemies. I can easily spot someone that's sat behind cover because I see the floating name tags fading in and out as I move my camera around. And equally, when I try to be really sneaky, my name tag will give me away. :(

A 'Hardcore' mode with Listen Mode and enemy name tags turned off would be amazing. Even if it was just a toggle in custom games.

Crafter 3 for gifting, I can easily complete this in 1-2 days of survivors.

Marking can be completed in a single day of survivors as long as your team is not too good and the rounds last for a bit (and enemy isn't unmarkable).

I save heals, gifts, marks for the big population risk missions. I do harder stuff for clan growth missions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for gafchat, I'm not sure how you join... I was sent an invite.

Why do you recommend Healer 2 and not 3 for healing missions?

GQman2121

Banned
Other than the inconsistency in regards to damage by some of the weapons, I think the multiplayer is a breath of fresh air.

My biggest complaint is the machete. I do like it. I do use it for two of my custom classes. But why the hell is it not a one hit down? Two slashes is preposterous for something that costs 4 points and hundreds of parts during the course of a game.

Other than the inconsistency in regards to damage by some of the weapons, I think the multiplayer is a breath of fresh air.

My biggest complaint is the machete. I do like it. I do use it for two of my custom classes. But why the hell is it not a one hit down? Two slashes is preposterous for something that costs 4 points and hundreds of parts during the course of a game.

If you get a melee upgrade for it then its 1 hit downs. I once watched my friend go Jason on the whole other team and downed all 4 before they knew what hit them. Was hilarious.

Wouldn't people be rolling around just slashing randomly with that thing if it was a 1 hit kill?

Top Bottom