• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

test_account

XP-39C²
Why do you recommend Healer 2 and not 3 for healing missions?
If a guy is low on health, you might be able to heal him 5 times before he gets full health again when using Healer 2, but if you use Healer 3, you might only get to heal him 3 or 4 times. The healing missions is about how many times that you heal.

EDIT: It seems that using Healer 3 will give 2 heal counts anyway, sorry for the misinformation.

Covilicious

Neo Member
If a guy is low on health, you might be able to heal him 5 times before he gets full health again when using Healer 2, but if you use Healer 3, you might only get to heal him 3 or 4 times. The healing missions is about how many times that you heal.
The highest level healing counts as two heals each time you heal for twice as much. I've tested it multiple times. Each heal also counts for 40 parts instead of 20.

How or where does one exactly join "GAF chat?" - I play w/ a few other GAFers and this was brought up but I had no idea as to what they were talking about - but I am interested.

Edit: Also I guess I might as well vent here - I lost all of my survivors last night! I was in week 8! So now I'm starting all the way back at week one. But I def have a better idea of how to choose which missions to take at which time, so I think that will help me out a lot going forward.
It happened for me on week 12.

For some reason, I didn't go into a rage.

Is there any known bugs or issues when it comes to the Collector perks/boosters when tied to the Firefly event? Seems like anything I added actually decreased my average supply accruement from each box.

ThisOne

Any word on what they are planning to balance next? I still think armor needs a slight nerd. The shorty and 9mm could maybe use buffs as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
The highest level healing counts as two heals each time you heal for twice as much. I've tested it multiple times. Each heal also counts for 40 parts instead of 20.
Oh ok, thanks for the info :) I never tried that, but i assumed since you could heal less time, it only counted as one.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Any word on what they are planning to balance next? I still think armor needs a slight nerd. The shorty and 9mm could maybe use buffs as well.
Nothing yet. There's a patch coming soon though so the wait shouldn't be too long. Hopefully we also get some details on the mp DLC.

"How long will support for the TLOU MP last and what can we expect to see in the next patch?" – khknight

As long as a healthy number of people are playing Factions we will continue to support it. The next patch will be coming before the end of the month or early next. We’re tweaking and testing and seeing what can be done.

http://community.us.playstation.com...aughty-Dog-Development/m-p/40853807#U40853807

Mobius1

I can never find melee weapons when I play this game. Are they in chests?

You can craft the one-hit version from the Select menu once you've got a plank and enough blades. They aren't craftable from your holster.

I'm guessing you've seen a plank drop every once in a while.

Yes, they almost always appear in the same supply boxes (I say almost, because sometimes they'll randomly spawn in any of them if your team is down by a lot). Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

DAM: The supply box at the "bottom" of the level (in the creak, behind the big rock)

HIGH SCHOOL: The supply box out in the courtyard near the school bus

LAKESIDE: (this is where it would really help if there were north/south/east/west aspects of maps) The supply box on the "side" of the map near the fence where there's a pickup truck and some backs of houses.

UNIVERSITY: The supply box in one of the two long hallways.

BILL'S TOWN: In one of the side buildings - the one that's dark (not the one with the bar).

CHECKPOINT: Again, in one of the buildings in the "side" of the map.

DOWNTOWN: No one ever plays Downtown.

Artorias

Banned
I absolutely love the mp. It took me a month to finish the game because it was too easy to just hit factions when I launched the game and lose 3 hours sneaking around hiding bombs everywhere.

I've already finished both faction campaigns, but I'm gonna start playing again soon while I slowly finish my Survivor playthrough.

Killthee

They're usually in the supply boxes in the middle of the map (see Mike Works' post above). You need a plank + some other items to make it into a one hit kill weapon. With brawler equipped you'll get an extra one hit kill before you need more supplies. If your team is winning the match, your chances of getting that wooden plank drop significantly. If you're the last man standing from your group, you'll likely get a machete in the next supply box you open.

Kinda want to make a loadout where I can actually have a purchasable weapon. The Assault Rifle is fun to scare people with. The second an enemy hears that sound they all scatter.

Footos22

I want to know why everyone seems to have a phobia of Downtown.

It's a great map.
I dont think ive had one bad game there the whole 3 times ive probably gotten to play it over the 33 hours ive been in multiplayer.:(

Mobius1

It's a great map.
I dont think ive had one bad game there the whole 3 times ive probably gotten to play it over the 33 hours ive been in multiplayer.:(

I find the layout very confusing. When you're down in the subway the spaces are extremely tight, and it's not clear if people could be standing right above you. Basically just feel exposed everywhere in the map.

Vitanimus

Kinda want to make a loadout where I can actually have a purchasable weapon. The Assault Rifle is fun to scare people with. The second an enemy hears that sound they all scatter.

I haven't really experimented with any purchasable weapons in the MP. The machete is by far the most "overpriced" weapon at 4 loadout points. Military Sniper is quite popular but the ammo is very costly, naturally.

Grinchy

Banned

It's a great map.

I actually kinda like it. So does the rest of my group. The only weird thing (which is just a mental thing at this point) is that we seem to always have lag problems or having our party split up when it comes to that map. So we like the map, but it reminds us of bad times.

zma1013

I haven't really experimented with any purchasable weapons in the MP. The machete is by far the most "overpriced" weapon at 4 loadout points. Military Sniper is quite popular but the ammo is very costly, naturally.

I dunno, I haven't tried actually using it in a loadout, but just the thought of always have a good melee weapon no matter what sounds like it may be worth the cost.

todahawk

the mp is good but i always get player that think this a call of duty going alone and shit :(

yep, even when we call out to him and ask to stay with the group he's off and running full speed to the other side of the map.

we're used to it for the most part but we can't help to get a bit annoyed when it's a close match, down the wire, and our deaf mute random fucktard is sprinting full bore towards his special purpose.

dsigns1

Love the multiplayer on this game but one thing I would like to see changed is the points system. If I am on a good team and we wipe the other team out in 4 matches, we are punished points wise. You get more points having a 7 match series. It makes sense but then next thing I know i have tons of sick/hungry clan members because we played good.

This could be resolved by giving a point bonus for teams that win 4 straight.

the mp is good but i always get player that think this a call of duty going alone and shit :(

I often go out alone but I play as a scout. I spot lots of enemies and flank them. I do not try to fight off 4 people but instead try to pick off one of the trailing members. If I am outnumbered I run to my teammates and often get them free kills. It is possible to go alone but I have seen low levels run off and try to fight 4 people alone which never works out.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Hope the dlc isn't too far away for this. Really would like to know how many maps we'll get in the first pack and whether or not to just buy the Season Pass. I haven't bought a season pass yet this gen.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hope the dlc isn't too far away for this. Really would like to know how many maps we'll get in the first pack and whether or not to just buy the Season Pass. I haven't bought a season pass yet this gen.

My only concern is that PS4 is right around the corner... once it get one on launch day, PS3 goes into retirement. I hope they can get the DLC out before then, but deving takes a lot of time/effort, so maybe they won't. :(

Footos22

Love the multiplayer on this game but one thing I would like to see changed is the points system. If I am on a good team and we wipe the other team out in 4 matches, we are punished points wise. You get more points having a 7 match series. It makes sense but then next thing I know i have tons of sick/hungry clan members because we played good.

This could be resolved by giving a point bonus for teams that win 4 straight.

Yep this pisses me off i was at 119 clan members and was on my last match before i got 20% of my clan wiped out. won the next match as a clean sweep. never got my black rancher hat. :( just started week 11 so not much hope of getting that now. Doubt ill play it after i get my plat until they release some new maps and customization items.
2 gaming weeks until my platinum :D

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
My only concern is that PS4 is right around the corner... once it get one on launch day, PS3 goes into retirement. I hope they can get the DLC out before then, but deving takes a lot of time/effort, so maybe they won't. :(

I just hope they release it while it's popular to keep it fresh and not wait until the numbers drop too much.

And as much as I am looking forward to the sp dlc I hope it's released the sane time or after the mp content.

I'm really surprised a date hasn't been announced yet.

Replicant

The fuck?! The server was down last night and it skipped a day for me. When I came back, some of my otherwise healthy 75 survivors ended up becoming sick and hungry. :mad:

Fixed this shit, ND!

You like the MP now?? i remember you were trashing it pretty severely around launch.

I always get irked seeing how the matchmaking is done.

In a room full of randoms, they decide to put the two players with the highest ranks on the same team. I know rank doesn't = skill, but it means something when the other team's highest rank is 7.

bigmf

In a room full of randoms, they decide to put the two players with the highest ranks on the same team. I know rank doesn't = skill, but it means something when the other team's highest rank is 7.

That's an unfortunate side effect of having you choose your team every twelve weeks.

brandnew

Agreed. This even happens when I play no parties so it's not like friends are playing together. There doesn't seem to be much balancing in terms of rank when selecting teams. There's also usually a pretty notable difference between someone on level 0-3 and someone on 20-50 so it can be an actual problem.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You like the MP now?? i remember you were trashing it pretty severely around launch.

I still have the same opinion of mp... but despite this I'm finding fun with it, especially with other gaffers. I've always said the core mechanics were solid. I just had issues with how they designed the mp; what was there, what wasn't. I'm still of the same opinion, but really anything is fun if you play with the right people. And TLoU has some very enjoyable mechanics even if there are many things I don't particularly like and there isn't a mode that really appeals to me.

I'm hoping for more DLC modes. I would like a stripped down mode, and would really like some type of horde mode. I will feel very disappointed if they don't do at least one of these.

I will always think every aspect of the meta game was poorly designed.

There is definitely fun to be had... however, don't think it has long legs in its current state.

sappyday

I'm sorry if this has been asked but if I connect to Facebook will my friends get notified that I put them into the game? Or will they never be aware of it?

I'm sorry if this has been asked but if I connect to Facebook will my friends get notified that I put them into the game? Or will they never be aware of it?
I think the Facebook connect only seeds their names and profile image, it does not notify anyone or even post on your timeline that you're playing The Last of Us.

brandnew

That one shot down/execution from the military sniper might make it worth it though. That thing gets me really riled up when the opposing team uses it.

Wag

I just finished the campaign mode, and other than Hot Shots Golf I really have never been much for multiplayer gaming on the PS3. I do like Battlefield 3 and the like on my PC. Should I give multiplayer a try?

Imm0rt4l

It's a great map.

I always make sure to select the other map whenever downtown comes up. I played it today for the first time in weeks, and honestly it's not nearly as bad as I remember it being.

Killthee

Is Downtown that bad? I haven't had a chance to play it once.
I actually like it, the nighttime setting isn't found in the other maps and there's lot of cover throughout the map. I think the issue with it is if you play it as a low level the first time you come out of the match with a negative first impression due to the layout, the night time setting, and not being used to all the mechanics yet. This negative first impression is making people auto vote against it instead of replaying it in order learn the map : /

I still have yet to play a match on Downtown. Although I am only just barely getting to week 5, I thought I would have at least played it once by now.

Top Bottom