• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

TEH-CJ

Banned
Do you guys recommend a sensitivity setting for the controls? Maybe I just suck but the aiming feels really wonky to me. Its driving me nuts!

todahawk

Sorry to double post but they really need to do something about this match-making.

How can it be fair that I'm constantly lumped with an assortment of level 0-10s, whilst the other teams have an abundance of level 20s, 60s, and now I'm even seeing over level 100s!

I am consistently put in with shitty players who want to run off and then get confused when they die.

Or they're sat right next to me while I'm down, don't bother to revive while they try and get all the kills.

Why can't people grasp that this is a team-based multiplayer. Running off on your own does not get you anywhere!

It's exacerbated further because if you get into shitty games then you're inevitably going to lose your population.

It's infuriating and killing my enjoyment of the game.

I just plowed through the shit matches. It probably has a bit to do with the size of the community. Still hopes it gets addressed but I'm having fun.

Might be that the game is finally clicking a bit for me. Had some stellar matches even against much higher level players. 13 down / 11 exe - 3 deaths & 12 / 9 - 5
Crouching & crafting like a mofo. Hitting groups of enemies blind side, talking tons.

Speaking of videos, I have the day off tomorrow (mostly) so I'm going to take my PS3 off the projector and hook it up to this monitor, using a capture device to record to the computer.

I've already done a little bit of recording of the single-player, but I'd like to record some multiplayer as well. Have had some very fun matches with a few GAF members. Just need to figure out how to record my own voice during the process.

Vitanimus

I'm thinking about uploading some of my flawless matches and some good multiplayer games if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Here is a video of 8 downs, 9 executions and 0 death. There will be better games in the future since I just started recording on my PS3 again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_t5lisyrs

Speaking of videos, I have the day off tomorrow (mostly) so I'm going to take my PS3 off the projector and hook it up to this monitor, using a capture device to record to the computer.

I've already done a little bit of recording of the single-player, but I'd like to record some multiplayer as well. Have had some very fun matches with a few GAF members. Just need to figure out how to record my own voice during the process.

These sound great! I love watching good matches on YouTube.

The molotov has to go. It's too damn powerful. Seems like 99% of the time you can't even outrun it. I've tried that running towards the guy that's throwing it strategy, but it's still not good enough.

Vitanimus

The molotov has to go. It's too damn powerful. Seems like 99% of the time you can't even outrun it. I've tried that running towards the guy that's throwing it strategy, but it's still not good enough.

I have to agree. As soon as I see someone with a molotov I am OUTTA THERE

I have to agree. As soon as I see someone with a molotov I am OUTTA THERE

Well, if that someone is me, you guys should stick around. I threw two molotovs yesterday at a guy in close range and missed both times. Then he beat me to a pulp.

Lol. Just started playing the MP yesterday after I wrapped up everything in the sp and I still can't understand what's going on. :p

Footos22

Sorry to double post but they really need to do something about this match-making.

How can it be fair that I'm constantly lumped with an assortment of level 0-10s, whilst the other teams have an abundance of level 20s, 60s, and now I'm even seeing over level 100s!

I am consistently put in with shitty players who want to run off and then get confused when they die.

Or they're sat right next to me while I'm down, don't bother to revive while they try and get all the kills.

GRPQdIr.gif

Why can't people grasp that this is a team-based multiplayer. Running off on your own does not get you anywhere!

It's exacerbated further because if you get into shitty games then you're inevitably going to lose your population.

Levels on this game mean jack shit.
you can quit every game and get yourself up to level 100 easily.

i'm constantly outplaying ppl like that. infact they are usually the worst players i have seen. all use the bow and arrow thinking they are rambo. Then i put 2 military sniper rounds in them quickly and they die instantly and have no one around to help them as they have buggered off on their own. so i get a lovely special execution bonus

Replicant

Well, if that someone is me, you guys should stick around. I threw two molotovs yesterday at a guy in close range and missed both times. Then he beat me to a pulp.

Lol. Just started playing the MP yesterday after I wrapped up everything in the sp and I still can't understand what's going on. :p

Same here. Tried to throw molotov at a guy but he shot me and I ended up taking a molotov bath instead. Feels bad man. :(

Same here. Tried to throw molotov at a guy but he shot me and I ended up taking a molotov bath instead. Feels bad man. :(

Hahahahahaha. Well at least now I don't feel like I'm the ultimate douche in TLoU MP. :p

I must have played like 10 matches last night and just when I started getting a hold of things and doing kinda well considering, my 22 months old son woke up and started crying... By the time I finished up with him and came back to the game I was 'Kicked out due to inactivity' and also had 4 members of my clan sick. o_O

I have to sort my shit out or it's going to be a looooong ride, this.

dsigns1

I need some gaf players to team up with. The last few games Ive had some horrible teammates. Add me if you play regularly.

Gaf Username: dsigns1
PSN ID: dsigns209
Timezone: Pacific
Mic/No Mic: Mic
Additional notes: Play usually on the evenings

test_account

XP-39C²
Speaking about molotovs, when i played yesterday or on Saturday, my team was all together in nearly the same spot, and an enemy threw a molotov and got 4 kills with only one molotov. That is lucky :)

Levels on this game mean jack shit.
you can quit every game and get yourself up to level 100 easily.

i'm constantly outplaying ppl like that. infact they are usually the worst players i have seen. all use the bow and arrow thinking they are rambo. Then i put 2 military sniper rounds in them quickly and they die instantly and have no one around to help them as they have buggered off on their own. so i get a lovely special execution bonus
You need to complete the matches to level up. The levels shows how many weeks you have played/survived if i'm not mistaken. But yeah, the levels does only indicate how long a person have played, not necessarily how good they are, indeed. A higher level player will most likely know the maps compared to a level 1 player or something, but other than that, it doesnt necessarily mean too much.

Covilicious

Neo Member
Never played supply raid lol.....what is it?

Bows are fuking OP.....ND nerf that shit. High ammo, quick speed, high damage, hardly any recoil WTF were they thinking.
I don't think i've played against a single player that was really good with the bow. At most, they'll get one shot on me, and I won't hear it, so I'll just run away, heal, come back and destroy him.

Vitanimus

Yeah I don't think the bow needs a nerf. The rate of fire is lower than most guns and generally requires more skill for aiming accurately. I suck at using the bow though.

Bow + Covert Training 2 + Strategist 2 is quite a good combo. Silent shots, can't be seen crouch walking in listen mode and know when you've been marked is quite a deadly combo.

destrudo

Yeah I don't think the bow needs a nerf. The rate of fire is lower than most guns and generally requires more skill for aiming accurately. I suck at using the bow though.

I don't think it does either, but they could give you less ammo or make it more expensive.

Good games to Supaman, Vashetti, and Mobius, I finally got to be in a full gaf party and we won every match, including a few nice comebacks .

THOSE FOOLS DONT KNOW ABOUT GAF.

Seriously, our oponnents are probably unaware of neogaf :p

Vashetti

Banned
Good games to Supaman, Vashetti, and Mobius, I finally got to be in a full gaf party and we won every match, including a few nice comebacks .

Haha, gg!

Had a blast. Nice to get a mention :D

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I gave up on the multiplayer and finally sold my copy.

Way too many terrible design choices in the multiplayer mode. I won't even go into them, the list is too big.

Mobius1

Teamwork ftw!

Not sure if anyone besides Supaman saw me glitch into a wall of sandbags when we played Checkpoint the second time. I was stuck at the top with my hands stretched towards the sky for about a minute until I got gunned down. Pretty hilarious.

TommyLove

Neo Member
If you want more parts and supplies from your clan, survivor is the way to go. Both game modes are pretty fun, but I prefer survivor since there's less rage quitters compared to supply raid since they can't get a single execution sometimes.

Moofers

I'm on quite a bit lately. My info:

PSN handle: UnoiLLnino (that's Uno ill nino without spaces, and yeah I regret that handle every day)

I have a blue tooth headset, but I never have it on. I can get it upon request. I mark enemies and usually stick with 1 partner unless all 3 of my teammates are hellbent on staying in one area, then I'll go flank. Not a "do it myself" rambo player though.

I'll admit right now though, I'm trying to get my clan through 12 weeks. I'll sometimes do stupid shit in the interest of hitting my goals. Only when I have to though.

Added. :)

Moofers

BTW how in the holy hell are people at the top of the leaderboard finishing 12 weeks with a clan of 500+ members? Is there an exploit I'm unaware of, or are they seriously that good? Seems like 85+ at the end of 12 weeks is the highest ND expected since the last mask is unlocked once you manage that. I can't fathom how the hell they're getting over 500 though.

Vitanimus

I'll go on an adding spree later. :) Make sure to quote Killthee's earlier post to see the PSN ID for the GAF chat room that's going on. The more the merrier!

PSN - georgekupo

TommyLove

Neo Member
BTW how in the holy hell are people at the top of the leaderboard finishing 12 weeks with a clan of 500+ members? Is there an exploit I'm unaware of, or are they seriously that good? Seems like 85+ at the end of 12 weeks is the highest ND expected since the last mask is unlocked once you manage that. I can't fathom how the hell they're getting over 500 though.
They're good at having friends to kill themselves with bombs, molotovs and taking shots on purpose while the clan farmer uses collector 2 and first aid 2.

They're good at having friends to kill themselves with bombs, molotovs and taking shots on purpose while the clan farmer uses collector 2 and first aid 2.

Welp.

I usually go by time played when viewing the leaderboards. Can't remember a game where the majority of leaders weren't boosting.

GRPQdIr.gif

Had a good time playing with you earlier (PSN ID xX_Supaman_Xx) - forgot to add you while playing earlier.

But I completely agree with you about the matchmaking being complete garbage - honestly I can't even say for sure there is proper matchmaking - I honestly think it just takes the pool of players in the lobby and splits them evenly player wise, without ever even taking rank into consideration. From what I have heard the Uncharted MP matchmaking was the same way.

Lol Edit: just realized my reply to your post prob makes it seem like I'm one of those "running Rambo" types that you are talking about - but if I'm not mistaken, I believe we won everyone of our matches - save for maybe one.

Teamwork ftw!

Not sure if anyone besides Supaman saw me glitch into a wall of sandbags when we played Checkpoint the second time. I was stuck at the top with my hands stretched towards the sky for about a minute until I got gunned down. Pretty hilarious.

Haha lmao no I def know illmatic22 also seen you glitched out - because we both started laughing. It was just so random and unexpected.

If I don't get around to it before you go on PSN again, please add me (xX_Supaman_Xx) - failed to add you GAF bro's earlier, but I thought our squad was pretty well rounded.

I need some gaf players to team up with. The last few games Ive had some horrible teammates. Add me if you play regularly.

Just sent you a request.

Teamwork ftw!

lol I saw, had no idea what to do. Just camped around you're floating body and waited to kill whoever got you. First time ive seen a glitch like that in this MP

Mobius1

It's not about running towards or away from a molotov-wielder, it's about lateral motion.

Once you're at a medium distance it's a matter of timing a sprint to the right or left when you see his arm go back to throw. The delay between throwing and impact means you can side-step it pretty easily. It leaves them empty handed and you with a gun or melee weapon ready to go.

Seems to me like the molotov is most dangerous when you think you're hidden and they manage to arc it over cover.

I get partied up in No Parties playlist with a horrible team, but I kick ass and do what I can do. What happens? I lose survivors. That's me teamed up with a 0, 2 and a 4 against 50s, and even though I get the only kills and executions for my team and even though I go positive with a 2.0 KD in that game I am penalized.

Here's to hoping ND has plans to patch their game.

Mobius1

I get partied up in No Parties playlist with a horrible team, but I kick ass and do what I can do. What happens? I lose survivors. That's me teamed up with a 0, 2 and a 4 against 50s, and even though I get the only kills and executions for my team and even though I go positive with a 2.0 KD in that game I am penalized.

Getting kills isn't the best way to secure supplies if you can't go over and pick through the bodies. Focusing on hitting those supply chests and a using a support-oriented loadout can be more profitable.

You're right, the game asks you to compromise, either on being an efficient killing machine or on spending time crafting and scavenging. But that conflict of interest is what gives it a survival-y flavor, as opposed to an all out deathmatch. Killing enemies is a means to getting safe access to supplies, not an end in itself.

I think the real damaging element is the set of recurring bonus challenges. It encourages you to ignore the flow of the match and just focus on your own achievements, which hurts team-work, gets you less supplies, gets you killed more often, and gets you fewer kills.

Use crafter and first-aid, you will never worry about salvage and points again.

Spinluck

The meta game hardly rewards good play.

How the hell are you supposed to collect 121 items?

That's a fucking ridiculous quota lol.

You can play brilliantly, but if you fall short, expect people to die or get sick. It's a good thing I hardly care about it anymore and just do what I have to so I don't have reset my clan. But I just don't get why it's the way it is, all for what? Extra clothes and emblem designs?

I still like the game, but the meta game gets less tolerable every time I play.

Any mention on when we can expect MP DLC?

TEH-CJ

Banned
I gave up on the multiplayer and finally sold my copy.

Way too many terrible design choices in the multiplayer mode. I won't even go into them, the list is too big.

Yup I agree with this.

the game is all about who can get the moloktov and grenades first. It drives me crazy.

Top Bottom